Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Musical taste being a dealbreaker?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 110
Musical taste being a dealbreaker?Page 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

- Your post reminded me of something Eric... I went to a business meeting at a hotel once... they claimed they would have live entertainment... I figured they would have some amateur singing karaoke... imagine my surprise when STARSHIP took the stage!!

So, I listen to A LOT of different music to form my style of playing guitar. My influences are a random mix of SRV, Tom Scholz, Billy Gibbons, Donnie Van Zant, Mike McCready... So my influence jumps around a lot. I'm clearly into a lot of the more melodic guitar playing. So, surprisingly for mostly being influenced by the exact type of music, I still only know 2 songs by starship. I know more songs by A-ha than someone that wasn't a one hit wonder and was actually pretty big back then. I gotta get around to listening to more of what they can do.
 Etritonakin
Msg: 111
Musical taste being a dealbreaker?
Posted: 7/26/2014 4:29:27 AM
Music preference may be indicative of other differences you might have in thinking -which can definitely be deal breakers -but otherwise, I try to be tolerant when a person's musical tastes are different. I even try to be open-minded about it. Sometimes I develop an appreciation for the music -begin to like it -or confirm that it has nothing positive to offer the world. Even then, I gain understanding about various perspectives.

It is also true that examining your own musical taste -likes and dislikes -can tell you a lot about yourself.
 sigungq
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2014 8:51:43 AM
^^ Actually for me, the music a person listens to, the movies they like, and the books they read, tells me quite a bit about their personality. Such can be quite illuminating at times.
 Maleman999
Msg: 113
Posted: 7/26/2014 9:26:00 AM

It is also true that examining your own musical taste -likes and dislikes -can tell you a lot about yourself.

I don't agree with this statement because a person's environment has a lot of influence on musical preference. If you or I grew up in some foreign country in the Middle East or Africa, chances are we wouldn't be into the music we're currently into. We would be into something totally different. In the U.S., more people in the southern states are into country and western music than elsewhere and gospel music is popular in the Bible Belt states. Peer pressure also plays a part. You're not going to be one of the cool kids and could be a social outcast if you listen to classical music and all of your friends and classmates are into rap and gangsta music. It's not a coincidence that most kids like the same music and artists. So musical taste is as much of a sociological issue as personal preference.
 Etritonakin
Msg: 114
Posted: 7/26/2014 9:53:47 AM

^^ Actually for me, the music a person listens to, the movies they like, and the books they read, tells me quite a bit about their personality. Such can be quite illuminating at times.

Exactly.
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 115
Posted: 7/26/2014 9:57:32 AM

I don't agree with this statement because a person's environment has a lot of influence on musical preference. If you or I grew up in some foreign country in the Middle East or Africa, chances are we wouldn't be into the music we're currently into. We would be into something totally different. In the U.S., more people in the southern states are into country and western music than elsewhere and gospel music is popular in the Bible Belt states. Peer pressure also plays a part. You're not going to be one of the cool kids and could be a social outcast if you listen to classical music and all of your friends and classmates are into rap and gangsta music. It's not a coincidence that most kids like the same music and artists. So musical taste is as much of a sociological issue as personal preference.

It's also not a coincidence that 90% of the people who listen to rap act like it. (loud, obnoxious, ALWAYS ON SPEAKER ON THEIR PHONE INSTEAD OF USING THE HEADPHONES THEY'RE WEARING AROUND THEIR NECK, that stupid thing they do with their hand while they listen to it...

Or how so many people who listen to metal do that stupid randomly growling or yelling for no reason at all...

Your taste in music will show a lot about your personality.
 Etritonakin
Msg: 116
Posted: 7/26/2014 10:05:47 AM

I don't agree with this statement because a person's environment has a lot of influence on musical preference. If you or I grew up in some foreign country in the Middle East or Africa, chances are we wouldn't be into the music we're currently into. We would be into something totally different.

True -and part of what I meant. Just as you get a better perspective about yourself when you travel, experience new things/people/cultures, considering your own musical preferences in reference to those of other cultures/nations/areas can help you see yourself better -even as a part of your environment. There are also things which are universal to all people and all music -which are simply expressed differently.

One can dislike certain music for reasons other than the music itself -such as having issues (valid or otherwise) with the people/environment/culture from which the music came -or associating it with something unpleasant not related to the actual music -and one may not even realize it.
 south_city
Msg: 117
Posted: 7/26/2014 10:13:57 AM
Your taste in music will show a lot about your personality.

I don't make judgments about people simply based on what type of music they like. I know people that listen to the same music genre(s). But have very little else in common. While there are some people that listen to rap or heavy metal who act like the stereotypes you mentioned, I know plenty of other people that listen to rap or heavy metal that are quiet or have laid back personalities.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 118
Posted: 7/26/2014 11:47:56 AM
The music I like doesn't define me. I don't care what they like to listen to - I'm good at blocking out noise I don't care for.
I love rap. Doesn't mean I'm going to pop you in the cap, I just like it.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 119
Posted: 7/26/2014 3:07:13 PM
Posted by ouija2025:
"I love rap. Doesn't mean I'm going to pop you in the cap, I just like it."

I think you meant to say this:
"I love rap. Doesn't mean I'm going to bust cap in yo azz, I just like it."
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 120
Posted: 7/26/2014 4:14:48 PM

I think you meant to say this:
"I love rap. Doesn't mean I'm going to bust cap in yo azz, I just like it."

Advantage to being from NJ:

"Raps good. Don't mean I gonna bus a cap in yo ass, I just into that $%!&"

You're welcome.
 cooldog65
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2014 6:22:15 PM
I guess it's people who are frozen in time, still listening to music from a previous era. I admit I was one of those who was stuck in the 80's twenty years ago.

I remember my ex-wife trying to introduce me to the current stuff at the time (mid to late 90's) and I was close minded to it. We went to a few concerts and I began to slowly open up.

After our divorce was final in 2001, I jumped in with both feet. I'm totally into modern rock now. She probably would give me a hard time about it now because of my initial resistance to it.

I have to be in a nostalgic mood to go back further than the 90's. I have pretty much moved on to more current rock. The older stuff had its time, but it has passed for me.

Eric_Summit
Msg: 122
Posted: 7/26/2014 6:50:39 PM
I have some additional ideas for this "music as a dealbreaker" thread.
Will share them after I return from dinner with my good friend Vanilla Ice.
 Baffalobill
Msg: 123
Posted: 7/26/2014 7:14:13 PM
Cant believe in this day and age the narrow mindlessness that people would be defined purely based on musical taste...
Its hard enough as it is out there to find someone without having to be fearful of your musical favourites!!!

Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple ,Jimi Hendrix, Linda Ronstadt, Jethro Tull, Free, Yes,The Eagles, Crosby Stills and Nash , Allman Brothers Band ,Rolling Stones, Johnny Winter, Frank Zappa etc.

Sure I am stuck in a bit of a time warp.
Dinosaur Rock???
So what???

Beats 'Most' of what's around today anyway... Just my opinion

Doesn't mean my mind is automatically made up or that I would personally hold that against anyone!!!
What's the world coming to???
 Nj2ut
Msg: 124
Posted: 7/26/2014 7:50:40 PM
Posted by ouija2025:
"I love rap. Doesn't mean I'm going to pop you in the cap, I just like it."

But alas my fellow New Jerseyans, what she really meant was:

"I wholeheartedly embrace the urban melodic sounds accompanied by gritty rhymes of ones dalliances in the inner city. This doesn't mean I am motivated to procure a firearm to launch a metallic projectile in ones buttock. I simply enjoy it."
 DragonBits
Msg: 125
Posted: 7/26/2014 9:37:45 PM
I am one of those that like every genre. Just that some genre I like more tracts / albums than other genres.

My ex-wife like Classical, IE Luciano Pavarotti , Beethoven and Vivaldi, etc.

My current wife's favs are Pitbull, Bruno Mars, Maroon5, Blue (English band), in general things like that.

I especially like Black Sabbath, David Bowie, Eazy E, Akinyele, Harry Chapin, Phantom of the Opera, Gershwin, Pink Floyd, Eloy (German progressive rock band), Ella Fitzgerald, Black Ice, Sade, Proud Mary (Ike and Tine Turner), Tommy, The Who, The Doors. I like some Maroon5, Pitbull, Nine Inch Nails, Frank Zappa, Godsmack, a lot of others that don't come to mind. I like a lot of country music.

This weekend we were at a concert of swing, big band, jazz, Ella Fitzgerald. My wife liked it, but she liked country better and likes Maroon 5 the best.

I have about 10,000 songs on my ipod. Since I like many genres, if I meet someone with a large collection of music, I just copy it all. My next door neighbor was a trucker from the Appalachian Hills, so when I copied his collection I got a ton of country, a woman friend of mine is into Nine Inch Nails kind of music, so I have a bunch of that.

Hmm, reading the forums reminded me of 'I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus”, I have the vinyl album, but I realize now I don't have it on Itunes. Have to get it.

If someone wanted to diss me over music, no big deal as IMO she's a little off, but I doubt anyone's musical taste would bother me.
 ace41s
Msg: 126
Posted: 7/27/2014 2:46:08 AM
I'd say ICP is a dealbreaker - not no much just because they like it, but more because of the kind of women who like ICP.

Also not generally into women who like death/black/underground metal - people who are into that kind of music are usually depressing and misanthropic personalities - plus they rarely listen to anything other than their underground shit.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2014 5:17:30 PM
The Smiths' "How Soon Is Now” has for decades held a lot of personal meaning to me but I just realized after making my post in this thread that it’s also actually a pretty accurate description of my participation in POF’s forums:

“You shut your mouth! How can you say I go about things the wrong way? I am human and I need to be loved just like everybody else does.”

And after so long, all my hope is gone, all right.

Now if I can just find a woman who “gets” that.
 RedrockJen
Msg: 128
Posted: 7/28/2014 6:35:56 PM

The Smiths' "How Soon Is Now” has for decades held a lot of personal meaning to me but I just realized after making my post in this thread that it’s also actually a pretty accurate description of my participation in POF’s forums:

“You shut your mouth! How can you say I go about things the wrong way? I am human and I need to be loved just like everybody else does.”

And after so long, all my hope is gone, all right.

Now if I can just find a woman who “gets” that.

I get it. I live and breath all things Smiths. Ha!
 easterparadehat
Msg: 129
Posted: 7/28/2014 8:57:28 PM
I'd really have issues with someone who likes hip hop or rap that is one nasty noise fest. It's like fingernails to a chalkboard.
 Maleman999
Msg: 130
Posted: 7/30/2014 2:20:43 PM

Why should I care what she listens to on her portable audio player or at home when I am not around.

That could be an issue with me. When I'm home, usually, either my radio or TV is on. My TV is only on if there's a certain show or sporting event I want to see. Otherwise, my radio is on. And when I'm in my car, the radio is always on. If I'm with someone who always has earbuds buried into their skull because of totally different musical tastes, it would be a "Houston, we have a problem" moment. I don't want a partner who is often zoned out into planet ipod, and act like we're not even in the same room.

Occasionally, I like going to a concert or to a night club to see a tribute band if they're doing the songs of a group I like. It would be harder to do if I'm with someone who is not into the same music. And vice versa.
 gingham7
Msg: 131
Posted: 8/1/2014 11:34:21 AM
Having the same music taste can be a mild plus. But it's not a requirement or one of the most important things that I look for. It can be difficult to find someone that has the exact same tastes in food, music, movies etc. Even when 2 people both listen to rock music for example. It's still possible that they like different bands or sub-genres within rock music.

Having different music tastes might mean that we wouldn't go to some concerts together. Which would be okay
because I can always go to a concert with some friends. I don't think a couple has to spend all of their free time with each other.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 132
Posted: 8/1/2014 11:53:42 AM

That could be an issue with me. When I'm home, usually, either my radio or TV is on. My TV is only on if there's a certain show or sporting event I want to see. Otherwise, my radio is on.

So you're saying the person you're dating has to deal with this if there? What if there's a neutral agreement or you turn it off a while when you are there if you have company. Do you make all house guests listen to your music/watch your shows? If they aren't there - it doesn't matter what you're listening to/watching, just like at their place what they do is their choice.

And when I'm in my car, the radio is always on.

We all listen to what we want in the car and then we're courteous of those in our cars if we're not alone. However the person driving has the right to override. Maybe either give a bit more on the radio selection or shut it off and focus on the person?

If I'm with someone who always has earbuds buried into their skull because of totally different musical tastes, it would be a "Houston, we have a problem" moment.

Why? You're listening to your stuff - they are listening to theirs. Win-win if neither wants to put it aside.

I don't want a partner who is often zoned out into planet ipod, and act like we're not even in the same room.

At some point people have to go on with their day without having to have the other person on standby to pay attention to them. If someone's over a lot or living with you there has to be some allowance for the other person not to have to entertain you every minute.

Occasionally, I like going to a concert or to a night club to see a tribute band if they're doing the songs of a group I like. It would be harder to do if I'm with someone who is not into the same music. And vice versa.

Very few people are totally opposite with no overlap. If you are both into the band, go together. If you aren't, call friends or go alone. Not that big a deal.
 Coma_White
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2014 12:51:30 PM

We all listen to what we want in the car and then we're courteous of those in our cars if we're not alone. However the person driving has the right to override. Maybe either give a bit more on the radio selection or shut it off and focus on the person?

I only listen to Hungarian music when I drive. No exceptions.
 easterparadehat
Msg: 134
Posted: 8/1/2014 8:58:51 PM
Actually when I was working in a cubicle office job about 1 year ago or so I worked around alot of young people. One in particular told me one day that she really liked my music (I had Peter Gunn - Henry Mancini music on). Jazz and classic two types of music that transend age.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Musical taste being a dealbreaker?