Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Musical taste being a dealbreaker?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 132
Musical taste being a dealbreaker?Page 7 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

That could be an issue with me. When I'm home, usually, either my radio or TV is on. My TV is only on if there's a certain show or sporting event I want to see. Otherwise, my radio is on.

So you're saying the person you're dating has to deal with this if there? What if there's a neutral agreement or you turn it off a while when you are there if you have company. Do you make all house guests listen to your music/watch your shows? If they aren't there - it doesn't matter what you're listening to/watching, just like at their place what they do is their choice.

And when I'm in my car, the radio is always on.

We all listen to what we want in the car and then we're courteous of those in our cars if we're not alone. However the person driving has the right to override. Maybe either give a bit more on the radio selection or shut it off and focus on the person?

If I'm with someone who always has earbuds buried into their skull because of totally different musical tastes, it would be a "Houston, we have a problem" moment.

Why? You're listening to your stuff - they are listening to theirs. Win-win if neither wants to put it aside.

I don't want a partner who is often zoned out into planet ipod, and act like we're not even in the same room.

At some point people have to go on with their day without having to have the other person on standby to pay attention to them. If someone's over a lot or living with you there has to be some allowance for the other person not to have to entertain you every minute.

Occasionally, I like going to a concert or to a night club to see a tribute band if they're doing the songs of a group I like. It would be harder to do if I'm with someone who is not into the same music. And vice versa.

Very few people are totally opposite with no overlap. If you are both into the band, go together. If you aren't, call friends or go alone. Not that big a deal.
 Coma_White
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Musical taste being a dealbreaker?
Posted: 8/1/2014 12:51:30 PM

We all listen to what we want in the car and then we're courteous of those in our cars if we're not alone. However the person driving has the right to override. Maybe either give a bit more on the radio selection or shut it off and focus on the person?

I only listen to Hungarian music when I drive. No exceptions.
 easterparadehat
Msg: 134
Musical taste being a dealbreaker?
Posted: 8/1/2014 8:58:51 PM
Actually when I was working in a cubicle office job about 1 year ago or so I worked around alot of young people. One in particular told me one day that she really liked my music (I had Peter Gunn - Henry Mancini music on). Jazz and classic two types of music that transend age.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Musical taste being a dealbreaker?