Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do You Google?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TryAgan
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Do You Google?Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Yeah, Google works.
Just made a few bucks on a quick trade, buying and selling Google.
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/10/2012 10:06:43 PM

I googled myself, what does it mean if you don't find anything?

Forums where paderic last posted
forums.plentyoffish.com/user/Paderic.aspx
View Last 25 Posts by paderic HERE. Thread Title, Newest Threads, Username. Last 25 active threads paderic has participated in: ALL, Alabama, Alabama ...

What name did you google?
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 12:26:58 AM
Once I decide someone might have potential I'll google her, not so much looking for dirt as just trying to learn all I can about her and what she's been involved in so I have a better sense of her as a person.

I guess my intuition must serve me well, or maybe I've just been lucky, but not once have I found anything disturbing about anyone I had a good enough vibe about to google.

If it's a situation where we went quickly from first contact to meet and greet I may not bother. If after that first meet it looks like we're headed for a second then I probably will.

And I often suggest someone google me if they want to learn more about me, or look at my facebook page. I've got a unique name so I'm the only one of me that will show up in either place and I've got no skeletons in my closet so sure, look all you want.

Heck, it's against the rules to share our full names on the forums but if anyone cared enough to ask in a private message I'd gladly share my full name and you can google or utilize whatever other investigative tools you want to your heart's content. I find openness serves me a lot better than being secretive.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 29
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 2:13:28 AM
I agree with wvwaterfall.

I met my last serious LTR on match dot com and he was very forthcoming with his full name, occupation, etc. so I Googled him and found out that he was exactly who he said he was. It made me feel more comfortable in meeting him and gave me some additional topics of conversation for our initial and subsequent dates.

I'll Google a guy prior to meeting if I have his full name and any concerns about meeting him, such as suspecting that he might be full of BS. When we meet, if there's a mutual interest I give him my business card and ask for his so that we can Google each other (and I encourage him to look me up).

I've managed to avoid the bullshytters that way...
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 5:23:55 AM
I checked Google out to see what showed up and there was very little about me and that information was inaccurate. They had the correct age but listed the city I hav'nt lived in since 1986. There was one very well known person almost anyone could identify that took up most of the search. One eccentric found dead in his home, heir to a large sum of money.
 DFW_Racer
Msg: 31
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 6:04:45 AM
I'm work in Tech and pretty savvy when it comes to Googleing. Having a decent email address, name, home town, profession and phone number are great searchable terms.

So far from POF. One woman used her cell on her website, "I'm your sugar baby dot com"

Another search turned up a Facebook profile of Psycho woman with serious man issues.

All other searches have turned up the typical normal okay stuff, nothing to be alarmed about, but the two examples above prove that Googleing an "Internet" meet can be very beneficial, regardless of the forum where you've meet
 Paderic
Msg: 32
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 7:47:28 AM
What name did you google?

I googled my real name, my email and home addresses, and my telephone number. Paderic is a nom de plume that I only use on this site.
 windchymes
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 9:01:03 AM
"piety is the best cover of all. you can get caught with your hand in the orphans' till (and elsewhere) and you just pull on that hair shirt and everyone grants you 'forgiveness.' score!"

Yeah, but that little tantrum you had in the temple that one day was a deal-breaker for me. They say to watch how he treats service staff and sales people.

Plus, those 12 guy friends of yours are always around, and every time I see a picture of you, you're all partying and some chick is trying to lick your feet....

I'm going to hell, I know.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 34
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 9:08:40 AM

Heck, it's against the rules to share our full names on the forums but if anyone cared enough to ask in a private message I'd gladly share my full name and you can google or utilize whatever other investigative tools you want to your heart's content. I find openness serves me a lot better than being secretive.

That is cause you have nothing to hide, which is exactly the way it should be, those who do have something to hide are going to hate that Google actually gives people a way to find out, like POF, it is a tool to use.

I think part of what bothered me was their insistent about how bad FB was and how they didn't believe in it ...ends up he had a page ...and a girlfriend.

I would say that a higher percentage of people are who they say (while some might be in denial about exactly what that is) but the few who arent are the ones who make it hard for everyone.
 kari135
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 10:03:03 AM
I told someone to google me once for something I'd written. He emailed back and said I'd been a busy little ***, hadn't I - so I googled myself. There are hundreds of blogs and fake groups and forums that my cyber stalker has created that come up. Fortunately, I'm one of around 20 or so people he's targeted, but I sure am glad I don't have to worry anymore about a prospective employer looking up info on me!

And btw, I do have a unique name. I'm the only one of me in the US, so there's no way I could blame any of it on someone else.
 Paderic
Msg: 36
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 10:30:56 AM
I found 41 results for my name in Michigan.

Interesting, using pipl I found the US patents in my name. And a whole lot of stuff about guys who aren't me.
 TryAgan
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 1:13:54 PM
Try adding "interpol" to your search.
 JoseMadre
Msg: 38
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 1:35:15 PM
My best friend is a PI so I go well beyond Google.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 39
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 2:50:37 PM

That is cause you have nothing to hide, which is exactly the way it should be, those who do have something to hide are going to hate that Google actually gives people a way to find out, like POF, it is a tool to use.

This is a bit shortsighted. Years ago, I used to frequent chat rooms on Paltalk. The atheists and the Xtians were always going at each other. One of the Xtians found out the real name of one of the atheists and called the school where he taught in an effort to get him fired.
 therdtymesachrm
Msg: 40
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 3:19:20 PM
I just used pipl to check my name . That was an interesting experience. Lots of incorrect information there. They have addresses that I have never lived at, a completely different middle name than mine, people listed who are not related to me nor who I have ever heard of. That's why you have to be really careful using information you find that way. It could be completely wrong. Mine is.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 4:28:17 PM

This is a bit shortsighted. Years ago, I used to frequent chat rooms on Paltalk. The atheists and the Xtians were always going at each other. One of the Xtians found out the real name of one of the atheists and called the school where he taught in an effort to get him fired.

I can understand some people in some positions being concerned about privacy issues. For that matter I respect anyone's right to protect their privacy.

But having spent more than a decade of my career in very public positions, I learned long ago to never assume anything I said to one audience wouldn't find its way to another. Even in private emails I always take care not to say or write anything that would be too horribly damaging if it found its way to people it was not originally intended for.

And that includes here. It doesn't take a lot of detective work to connect wvwaterfall to my real name.

I've always been quite clear with prospective employers that while I will certainly exercise discretion to avoid compromising their mission I am still a man with opinions and will continue to express them when and where appropriate. I simply don't apply for positions inconsistent with my values, so it's not that hard to be sincere, be myself, and just use a little common sense whenever I write or say anything that might be recorded or archived in any way.

As a wise friend once said to me: "You can never go too far wrong if you always speak the truth."
 DivineBovine
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 4:57:15 PM
Google my real name and you get about 50% of me and 50% of a woman who lives in Florida.

i don't have a very common name.
 kari135
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 5:08:57 PM

Yup. Back in the days when I was on various newsgroups, there was a woman on one of them that someone took rabid exception to. The someone did some searching and found her real name and home address, and firebombed her house. Unfortunately, it was someone else with the same name on the opposite side of the continent.

I always wondered what she told her insurance company - 'geez, it was all a mistake, I just have the wrong name'?

Gotta love those old unmoderated newsgroups...
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 44
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/12/2012 4:32:57 AM
Fab new pic bovine WOW!!

Be careful as another poster mentioned things can be written and attributed to the person or about the person also.

Anything ODD pops up that doesnt fit everything else..ask.

I know people that have put things out there absolutely false about others.
Worded in a way that can be taken wrong ect.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/12/2012 1:49:24 PM
Big problem with googling people is that the information you get may be quite ancient, or refer to some other person.

I agree with PP. Ask.
 active-guy
Msg: 46
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/14/2012 9:59:53 AM
No, but I read a study that said that about 30% who are using the internet dating/introduction methods do.

A first meeting should tell you a LOT about the person. At this age almost everybody has a skeleton or two in the closet in my experience (from financial, to an affair, to a drunk driving charge etc.), or they wouldn't be single - mostly divorced types on here at this age. The bad news, whether you want to believe it or not is that Perfect Partners with totally unblemished records tend to NOT be on a dating site to begin with!! (unless widows/widowers)

After 2 or 3 meetings THEN it might be worthwhile ... mostly to see if they are being "honest" in what they are telling you ... but one should be able to screen out most of the bad apples on an initial meeting without Google.

One thing I do always scratch my head over is if I see a really good looking woman on a dating site (out at a restaurant/bar/dancing establishment alone). It instantly raises LOTS of red flags! A very good looking woman should NOT be in need of using a dating site UNLESS she has some serious issues going on upstairs in her head. (more average people sometimes need the extra help in finding a potential partner)
 Luke_Mason
Msg: 47
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/14/2012 10:17:17 AM

One thing I do always scratch my head over is if I see a really good looking woman on a dating site (out at a restaurant/bar/dancing establishment alone). It instantly raises LOTS of red flags! A very good looking woman should NOT be in need of using a dating site UNLESS she has some serious issues going on upstairs in her head. (more average people sometimes need the extra help in finding a potential partner)

Are you serious? Both of my daughters are very attractive and presently single, and they clearly don't have head issues. Come on fella, there are a myriad of reasons both men and women might find themselves in the single zone. For one maybe they've recently been through a divorce. You might find this profound, but attractive women don't bounce into a relationship at the drop of a hat. They also tend to weed through a morass of men till they find compatibility, which takes TIME.
 TD625
Msg: 48
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/14/2012 10:21:55 AM
Yup! You're being careless if you don't, especially if you're a woman.
 Pseudosadhu
Msg: 49
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/14/2012 12:04:26 PM
Holy crap. I just googled my real name for the first time. It's Pedro. Pedro Bear. I can't believe what I'm seeing! This is bad. This is really really bad. But... it does at least explain why all my dates dump me, and why my only facebook friend is Gary Glitter.
 Pseudosadhu
Msg: 50
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/14/2012 12:19:02 PM
Hrm. The dudes over at register her dot com might disagree with the latter part of that statement.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do You Google?