Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do people over sixty still think they can have a new life???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DragonBits
Msg: 26
Do people over sixty still think they can have a new life???Page 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I'll let you all know in about 6 months.
 ro1970
Msg: 27
Do people over sixty still think they can have a new life???
Posted: 3/4/2012 7:01:24 AM
Well....back when I was in college going for my Associates Degree, I met a woman in my Spanish Class who was 72 years old! She decided she wanted to go back to school and pursue her lifelong dream and go for her bachelor's degree.

I spent one year studying with her before I moved on to another university and while I don't know what happened to her or whether or not she finished, I do think of her often.

Heck my grandfather, before he became ill took trips abroad at age 83. - Went to Russia, the Baltic countries, that being Norway, Finland, and Sweden, Germany, the Czech Republic and had wonderful fun.

So yes.....there is life after 40 - which I am finding out....

and from looking around me, I also believe there is

life after 50, life after 60, life after 70, life after 80, even life after 90........

So why not live it up.....we only get one trip around this place.......there is so much to see, do, and learn...........
 Ingemouse
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/4/2012 4:52:37 PM
Gwendolyn, right on sister! Exactly how I feel and. I often say that very thing to friends and family who sometimes think life will always be the same, stuck in some rut or another. You never know what or who will be around that corner, that is what makes life interesting! And it's true.
 russell5417
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/5/2012 6:06:19 AM
It depends on the individual. People that take care of themselves by eating right and excersize, will live longer in most cases, than people who don't.

I see a LOT of young people that are OBESE, that will be lucky to even make it to 60. And if they do, they'll be sick, and running to the DR every week for the latest prescription, to put a band aid on their illnesses.

Nothing is guaranteed...but if you take care of yourself........your chances are better at having many great years left after the age of 60....if you don't die accidentally.

Read some books by Dr. Fuhrman.....
 therdtymesachrm
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/5/2012 7:24:05 AM
I think it depends on your outlook on life. Mine is..I may get older but I will never BE old. I can remember when I was a kid thinking that people who were 50 were ancient..Now, 10 days away from 56, I can say even 100 doesn't feel ancient..lol. I still feel like a kid most of the time. Having fun planning lots of adventures with the new man in my life, and enjoying every second. Little things have taken on way less importance and enjoying life has taken on more.

To that end I have to agree with Russell about taking care of yourself. As someone with a lifelong weight issue I have been lucky to escape most of the medical pitfalls that entails. But realistically I know that I have to take off some weight, sensibly of course, which is what I have been doing. It's a slow process but so worth it and I feel better overall, which is a definite bonus. I want as many years as I can get!!
 egowitch
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/5/2012 8:54:59 AM
As with any people , of just about any age - if you truly THINK you can do or have something, and you put your positive energies in that direction - you can !

But then - the opposite tends to also be true ...
 DrummingNut
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/5/2012 8:57:06 AM
I moved to the beach, I started drumming, I began somewhat a 'new life'.. a few months before I hit the 60 number this past Dec.
So now that I'm "over sixty" .. I gotta have another new life?
Nah, I really like what's going on now. Maybe I'll just keep adding a bit to it, how's that?
 curiousitykilledthe
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/5/2012 11:07:00 AM
I would certainly hope so.
 curiousitykilledthe
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/5/2012 11:07:58 AM
Have you hit the mark, yet? If so, how was the experience going over to the other side
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/5/2012 1:02:27 PM

I have had several men write about how they have done their bucket list

Anyone who has finished their bucket list had a bucket list that was too short to begin with.

I will have to live to be 200 to finish my bucket list.

JoseMadre
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/6/2012 11:44:58 AM
I'm only 48, but the nonsmoking men in my family historically live into their 90's and beyond, so I intend to have a full life at 60, and well beyond. Hopefully will find someone with the same attitude.
 captainsam
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2012 12:15:24 PM
I have to live to be at least 100, because it will take me that long to get my Master's....as a 65-year old Freshman!

I have as much energy as any 18 year old.

Age is irrelevant unless you are a tree or a cheese :)
 Rythmn
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2012 12:26:56 PM
where do you meet these people? maybe you should stop hanging around the local cemetery.

geeze, i have lymes, am 63 and i don't hear people talking like that (except maybe on the forums during a dry spell:)).

i do hear people hoping to meet the "last one". but, it's not like they have not had men or women in their lives before and are desperate. they just feel by now they are entitled!

in the real world, most i meet just want to focus on more "in depth", besides dating a bunch of strangers--that means intellectually, emotionally, spiritually and sexually. plus enjoying activities, hand holding and laughing, etc.

most people are still looking for chemistry and a best friend. maybe they plan to do this "until" they die. not a bad idea btw.

in many ways, my life started at 56 with respect to dating. up til then too busy raising teens!
 Dolphina
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/18/2012 12:17:13 AM
I am currently in conversation with a man in his 60s who is talking about taking life easy now. This is so anathema to me (I'm 59). I am embarking - again - on another adventure and have no interest in taking life easy on the back verandah. His attitude is so negative and so alien to me. I just don't get it.
My father lived to one month short of 101, and never ever talked about slowing down. He worked until he was 92 and traveled all over the world until airlines wouldn't let him on their planes any more (well into his 90s).
There are tons of things I intend to do next year. I'll be 60 then. The problem is finding a man willing to share some of those adventures with. So many I meet have slowed down to a shuffle.
I think one defining feature of these old geezers is that they eat fatty unhealthy food, sit around all day, don't exercise, suffer depression, watch tv endlessly, etc etc. All of which makes for very dull men indeed.
So to answer your question, 49pickup, some of us can continue to have vibrant glorious lives after 60, but some can't and wont.
 gromitspal
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/18/2012 12:49:41 AM
I found myself starting over at 60. Oh well. Old age pity parties and giving up are for fools. My family is long lived; mom is 91, dad passed at 86, grandma at 103 and I favor my mom's side of the family. So I expect I have a bunch of years to fill up yet and why wouldn't I want to LIVE them?

I did a pretty bang up job of filling up the first 61 years and while I can't say I feel 21 anymore, the doc says I'm fit and should have at least another 25 - 30 years in me if I stay off my motorcycle. I'll take my chances, doc, I'm doing the stuff I've always done because I will not "go gently into that good night." There might be something beautiful around that next corner and I need to photograph it, ponder it, appreciate it, remember it, and maybe love it...or her.

So do I think I can have a new life? I still have a life and it's not over until I give up or God says it's over.
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/18/2012 3:21:54 AM
I can't relate to the men in Dolphina's post. I'm 70 and, admittedly, have been very lucky in many ways. I'm still in perfect health, never been a patient in a hospital, and am slim. I went to a POF event last Friday and was on the dance floor longer than anyone else. I even had a compliment from a lady who thought I was a great dancer. I've been "retired" for a few years, but have decided to get back into the work force as a security guard/concierge in a condo somewhere. I've done it in the past, miss having interaction with a lot of people, and being of assistance to them.
 sexysunfish68
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/18/2012 3:24:54 AM
I agree that it is all about the mental attitude and if you are financial and reasonably fit then you can do many things in later life including having some sort of sex life. I know those that have had major life changes in their eighties and
then those who are old and set in their ways at 45.
 funnershine
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/18/2012 5:51:20 AM

Read some books by Dr. Fuhrman.....

He also gives some nice online seminars for those interested.

namaste
 rearguard*2
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2012 6:05:07 AM
My goodness! A lot of us at 60 can expect to spend another 30 years before our expiry date. Of course you can have a new life.....

If you want.
 gypsey-rover
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2012 2:44:18 PM
Hey Girls and guys, I am 66 and still look forward to each day as a day to learn something new, I still exercise each day and I beleive that "You have to one day be dead, but you don't have to be old". I am not looking for someone to climb mountains, jump out of planes, or any of that sort of thing what I want is someone to walk with me and just enjoy each day together.
 smokincigars
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2012 7:10:22 PM
A new life, just because you are older? Can't happen, unless you are in Witness Protection; your past is part of who you are today.

But you can change the course of your life at any age, making the future better ... or just different.

I was a wallflower most of my life, very shy and introverted. I made a conscious effort and made some changes that, in turn, helped me find the confidence to change the 'inner person'. My life at age 63 is much better than it was in my teens, 20s, 30s or 40s, and getting even better all the time. Wish I had been motivated to change things much sooner. (And no, I don't have a Magic Formula For Change -- it's basically a matter of just believing that you can change, and letting your confidence take it from there.)
 barra62
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/22/2012 2:44:52 PM
Yes they do , it's just the rest of the population who thinks they cannot.
 DragonBits
Msg: 48
Posted: 10/23/2012 12:26:14 PM
I am 60 this year.

This year I got married to the woman I had been dating for the last 2 years, she is currently in Thailand. I have applied for a visa to the USA.

The end of Oct in a few days we are going on a 10 week honeymoon, so I am leaving for Thailand. My mother was with us in April 2012 when we got married, so it wasn't much of a honeymoon with my mother and her mother in the hotel room next door. But I thought it was good for my mother to be there to see me get married, and she had never visited Asia.

I have been doing my cardio, 1-4 hours a day. and take hormones so my levels are about the same as a 20 year old. My wife has been studying the kama sutra and doing her kegals daily, she is eager to try all the different positions.

So we are both ready, set and soon to go..

She is 38, she wants to get pregnant, and since we have never used a condom, likely that will happen. I worry about the cost of a baby, but worrying about money is my only concern. She does sort of want to delay childbirth, and is also concerned with getting a job in the USA. She did say she could give up her dream of having a child it I thought it was best.

Perhaps when I get back to the USA I will look for a job that includes health care, it would be the safest route. Like someone said, at 60 it's quite likely I will live another 30 years.

I may not be in Witness Protection, but becoming a father would be a real shocker, and would truly be a new chapter in my life.

You can always change your life it you really want to.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 49
Posted: 10/23/2012 5:31:02 PM
I just crossed the half century mark and am very optomistic that the second 50 will be a blast. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy your life...hopefully with someone kind who will come along for the ride.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 50
Posted: 10/23/2012 5:55:12 PM
I just want to "enhance" the life I got. I fully intend to arrive at the pearly gates a bit dishevelled and out of breathe *grins*

...mae
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do people over sixty still think they can have a new life???