Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do people over sixty still think they can have a new life???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 deserthykergal
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Do people over sixty still think they can have a new life???Page 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I'm almost at the 70 mark and yes, life is still exciting and yes, I am, once again, looking for companionship and/or love LOL. But I must 'fess up that I am meeting my share of grumpy old men.
 Sailoress
Msg: 52
Do people over sixty still think they can have a new life???
Posted: 10/23/2012 8:14:48 PM
I started offshore sailing at 59, have been active most of my life. I can't speak for anyone else....I still wear a size 6 clothes and a bikini to swim. This site has been hard to find men that want to meet up, want to try dating. It is a mystery...having a profile on a dating site yet there is a fear or resistance for face to face meetings. It'd be nice if men were more relaxed.
Yes, I answer most messages. It's just a message after all.
 LuvsTheMountains
Msg: 53
Posted: 10/23/2012 8:36:55 PM
(
Not sure I understand the question so I'll just say... Hugh and Hefner. )
That hit the bulls eye!
 MeanBitter
Msg: 54
Posted: 10/23/2012 9:50:25 PM
Ernestine Shepard....she's 76
Google her images...
Or Karyn Calabrese...she's 65
Dr. Jeff Life....72
Google any of them. They are still rocking their lives. There is no reason to not to start living the life of your dreams TODAY.
My dad is 73 and hasn't slowed down. He still goes to work everyday. He met a lovely woman 5 years ago and travels.
 barra62
Msg: 55
Posted: 10/24/2012 12:06:21 AM
No , they jusy come here out of boredom , and frustration .

And all they get is more boredom and more frustration , as it appears most on here are just game players .

So, as the saying goes , "If you can't beat them , you might as well join them "..lol
 COWBOYKISSES
Msg: 56
Posted: 10/24/2012 12:18:37 PM
HMMM. i am about to be 59 and I'm purty, make that smokin hot lol.... i got more led then a number 2 pencil and the only thing that squeaks on me is my bed....Soooo yea just say'n....
 Wonder5750
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2012 12:30:02 PM
Don't people start new lives all the dang time? New places to live, new jobs, new hobbies, new mates. I have started over a bunch of times in some way or another, it makes no difference how old you are.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2012 1:04:37 PM
I understand, cairnmom.....most of the men I meet in their 50's are unkempt, mean, and "grumpy". I want someone in my life, but not that kind of "someone."
 lavenderandred
Msg: 59
Posted: 10/24/2012 1:46:19 PM
Just reading what you said...I am 61 and some days I am a lot slower than the day before, but even though the body is older, doesn't mean it's time to sit in that rocking chair and wait for "death at the door"...

The older, the bolder...no longer the quiet and shy...find it just harder to own your own place in today's economy and want life with another, as they usually have their own place too...

Positive that 60 & over is still young at heart, whether body is or not....and a new life awaits...just want to know..."where are you sugar?"
 timeforall
Msg: 60
Posted: 10/24/2012 2:19:36 PM
No question a man over sixty can catch a new life with any number of women over sixty anytime he chooses. Women have it tough enough when they pass forty. Past 60 and it is hard to imagine it being much tougher for them. Past 70 almost impossible. Any guy past sixty who has anything going for him in the least should find it easy to date as many 60 plus year old women as he chooses. And if everything is in working order for him . . his world should be golden.

Anecdotally, and I have not researched this myself, one of the large retirement areas in Florida includes a place called the Villages in Ocala. I hear the villages has one of the highest STD rates in the State. Just saying
 OnlyLovelyLady11
Msg: 61
Posted: 10/25/2012 2:54:18 AM
After thirty year's of marriage, I left and was forty-nine! I have enjoyed life more in the last ten year's ! Needing some one to grow old with? Ha, I'm enjoying being foot-loose and fancy. Not starting over again just enjoying new thing's. Does a person really need to have a partner, to appreciate living?
 captainsam
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2012 8:46:08 AM
I won a scholarship at 60 and a still going full force!
A Freshman, dancer, singer, author, veteran, on a mission to make a difference.

Age is irrelevant unless you are a tree or a cheese.
 ladyc4
Msg: 63
Posted: 10/25/2012 9:02:17 AM

Women have it tough enough when they pass forty. Past 60 and it is hard to imagine it being much tougher for them. Past 70 almost impossible.

Sorry-but that has not been my experience or observation.
I think for EVERYONE over 40 who is single and is open to finding a meaningful,committed LTR(or marriage), there are not nearly as many genuinely available candidates. Obviously there are still 50-70% of married couples who have stayed together, and for those of integrity who refuse to participate in cheating or attempts to "steal" another persons' SO, that is a significant factor.

but there are also many "single" people who are really NOT available because they are locked into a relationship with resentment, anger,unresolved grief,desire for some sort of vindication or vengeance...and this applies to BOTH GENDERS.

Any guy past sixty who has anything going for him in the least should find it easy to date as many 60 plus year old women as he chooses. And if everything is in working order for him . . his world should be golden.

encounter too many resentful,petulant single males over 60 who, by their actions, words and and attitudes,are conveying a picture that is far from "golden". Men who are truly "golden" are not hanging out in bars or on dating site forums, in chat rooms, etc discussing their dislike and distrust of women.
Yes, I see situations of women who probably ARE having a little tougher time, but then again, women are more apt to discuss this sort of thing. I firmly believe that for many over-40 single people, the internet may be a valuable way to reach out to other over-40 single people, because for many of them, their real-life peers, their real-life social circle, the people they spend time with in real life, are NOT single people looking to date. The source of information/feedback that these folks had when they were teenagers and 20somethings, which was most of their social circle, is now much smaller.

I think I can anecdotally, just from reasoning it out-suggest one of the biggest causes of the rise in STDS in the over-45 crowd; because there is usually no longer any danger of pregnancy, people over 45 are much more apt to have unprotected sex,and I think that a lot of that is because the MEN don't want to be bothered with condoms and the women just go along with it. I do not disagree...pausing the proceedings to put on a condom is a pain in the patoot!-but there have been many articles published stating that the reduced use of condoms is the reason for higher STD rates in the over-45 demographic. EVen without the various forms of documentation, common sense would seem to indicate that for the over-45 adult recently divorced or bereaved of their partner, STDs really aren't in the front of their minds, and if a man is about to have sex with a woman who is past childbearing age, I suspect that the STD risk seems negligible.

I have no doubt that many over-45 people who are "careful" in their choice of sexual partners,people who are not promiscuous, people who have sex within LTRS or mongamous FwBs, manage to dodge the STD bullet. But I think, going by common sense, the reason that STD rates among the retiree crowd have risen because in their minds, condoms are for prevention of pregnancy, and if pregnancy is no longer a risk, they think they can skip the condom. Depending on the circumstances of the particular dating/sexual intimacy scenario, I'm sure there are lots of retirees who are enjoying condom-free sex and may have very little cause for worry. But all too often, over-45s who are "dating up a storm", and NOT using condoms because "she can't get pregnant"-may find themselves with another little unwanted byproduct of irresponsible sex.

Not starting over again just enjoying new thing's. Does a person really need to have a partner, to appreciate living?
I think that a lot of people from 45 on up who've become single are asking that question,and finding that a single lifestyle is highly enjoyable. I think that many of them would return to a partnered lifestyle if they met the right person, but they are not making "finding someone" any sort of priority.
Cindy O
 DragonBits
Msg: 64
Posted: 10/25/2012 9:29:36 AM

I think that a lot of people from 45 on up who've become single are asking that question,and finding that a single lifestyle is highly enjoyable. I think that many of them would return to a partnered lifestyle if they met the right person, but they are not making "finding someone" any sort of priority.

It's easy for me to go without a partner, but it isn't highly enjoyable. Not miserable, more like watching TV, I can pass the time by myself, or go camping with friends if they ask me too, go bowling, but it's much more enjoyable with a romantic partner. And if the friends are a couple, then it makes being alone more noticeable.

I only really enjoy things like vacations with a romantic partner.
 ohenryx
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2012 1:33:23 PM

ladyc4
resentful,petulant single males over 60 who, by their actions, words and and attitudes,are conveying a picture that is far from "golden". Men who are truly "golden" are not hanging out in bars or on dating site forums,

Wait a minute!!! Do I resemble that remark?

Single – check
Over 60 – check
On a dating site forum – check
Resentful, petulant – man, I hope not!

I’m not at all sure whether I am “golden” but I will say this: It is much easier for me to get a date now then it has ever been before!

And let me refute your “anectodal” reasoning on the rise of STDs. I use condoms much more now than when I was young. When I was young, women were on the pill, no one was concerned about the long term health risks associated with the use of birth control pills. And STDs were a nuisance, not a threat. Absolute worst case, go to the doctor and get a shot. Having to abstain for a few weeks was far worse than just getting the shot.

These days, with the rise of AIDS, and Herpes Simplex II being incurable, etc, I am much more concerned, much more likely to use condoms than when I was young.
 softshoe100
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2012 5:26:36 PM
I hope I don't leave any good parts for them to recycle.
 ladyc4
Msg: 67
Posted: 10/26/2012 10:30:35 AM
Henry,you could be called the exception that proves the rule on several fronts. I probably should have made more effort to qualify my remarks by saying "for the most part.."
As for the STD thing, I am simply commenting on what I have gotten out of various "reports" and "studies" regarding the increase in STDs with the over 45 demographic. It makes sense to me that a certain degree of naivete and the absence of pregnancy fears would tend to cause a reduction in condom use in those who aren't really paying attention, or who believe that STDs are something that hpeen to OTHER PEOPLE. Yes, there are savvy older folk who actually do use condoms more now than when they were dating as teenagers and 20somethings-but there are also quite a few that aren't using them!

On balance-and I'm TRULY sorry to have to say this-I've noticed more resentful, petulant men in the forums than happier, more fair-minded ones. Quite frankly, for me, visiting the forums is simply a way to have more appreciation for my real life and the people in it.
Cindy O
 deserthykergal
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2012 11:05:56 AM
Hey, Cindy, come to the desert area here and you will really find the grumpy, resentful old men. Not very attractive to say the least.
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 69
Posted: 10/27/2012 1:01:10 PM

Hey, Cindy, come to the desert area here and you will really find the grumpy, resentful old men. Not very attractive to say the least.

Cairnmom: Nice profile. Wish I were in California. :-)
 CDMer
Msg: 70
Posted: 10/27/2012 1:33:02 PM
I don't know about a "new" life but life after 60 can be good, even great! Here in the Newport Beach area I find plenty of things to do as well as women with whom to do them. Although I do enjoy the company of women I already know none seem to be just the right fit for me. At age 65 I am rarely bored and am enjoying life.
 britepurdywmn
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/28/2012 1:12:21 PM
Definitely! It's exciting at any age when you realize that your life is 'your oyster', and that every time you leave the house to attend an event or engage yourself with others, even if it's just to the store, there is potential
for meeting someone interesting, having a conversation that teaches you something or relates to something you
just happen to have a question about.
Life is full of 'feel good' moments if you open yourself up to them and don't just walk with your head down looking at the pavement. And hey, if there is a handsome man you relate to and have a casual conversation with?...bonus!
I moved to our Capital 2 years ago knowing very few people. Most of the good friendships I have made since have started like that.
Meetup groups are great too, I would recommend checking them out in your city.
 britepurdywmn
Msg: 72
Posted: 10/28/2012 1:27:24 PM
"most of the men I meet in their 50's are unkempt, mean, and "grumpy". I want someone in my life, but not that kind of "someone." posted by BlackLady1953

Me, too! I have been attached for most of my life, (in 3 long term relationships) and have to say that was the biggest shocker when I found myself single again. To tell the truth, I have kind of lost respect for men like that. What does it take to get a hair cut that is current, jeans that fit and some shoes that were made in this decade?
A LOT of men on these sites are also 'thick' through the mid section but prefer their women thin to athletic.
Don't get me started on attitude, many of those I have met are suspicious and sarcastic, and that's on the first meet!
 Plenty_of_FreeTime
Msg: 73
Posted: 10/29/2012 2:17:30 PM
It's the people who dwell on the past who don't have much of a future....no matter what age. IMO
 phoenix_55
Msg: 74
Posted: 10/29/2012 2:35:04 PM
Of course, I'd love someone to grow old with. But before I get old, I'd like someone who wants to live!

I'm 57 and getting ready to buy my first house totally on my own. I'm so excited -- I feel like a little kid at Christmas.

I'm definitely not ready for the rocking chair just yet ;)
 ladyc4
Msg: 75
Posted: 10/29/2012 2:53:20 PM

Learn to grow old disgracefully

I LIKE the way this gentleman thinks!
Cindy O
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do people over sixty still think they can have a new life???