Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do people over sixty still think they can have a new life???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lightninbug22
Msg: 76
Do people over sixty still think they can have a new life???Page 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Of course, people over 60 can have a new life!!! It is all about attitude and taking care of yourself. We have weathered storms, many have dealt with death and illness, disappointment and sadness. But every cloud has a silver lining if you just look for it. I just turned 60 and I compete with a fast agility dog (about 4 yps--going to AKC nationals next year), have a busy schedule, work, volunteer, and still think I will have time to add a special someone to my life. Life is not over at 60!!! Not even close!
 barra62
Msg: 77
Do people over sixty still think they can have a new life???
Posted: 11/2/2012 2:58:25 PM
Sure they can ,, beats sitting around waiting to die .

And even if you do die , at least you had a bit of fun trying .
 lightninbug22
Msg: 78
Posted: 11/2/2012 7:35:05 PM
...and if you don't sit around waiting to die, when you die, you will die "young"....
 barra62
Msg: 79
Posted: 11/2/2012 7:50:47 PM
exactly, what more needs to be said ...
 barra62
Msg: 80
Posted: 11/2/2012 8:03:44 PM
The biggest problem today is trust ,, no one trusts any more ,, and probably for good reason , society seems to have lost a lot of it's values, and the bad seems to dominate.Well at least it's made to appear that way .
It's not a good look for the future , as the bad only leads to death and destruction.
 OkSweetheart60
Msg: 81
Posted: 11/4/2012 1:02:08 PM
Good for you! I just turned 60 and am having a great time (after the initial adjustment of divorce after 41 years.) Life doesn't stop at some half-way point and younger people need to wise up that they don't have the only lease on life. Sure men are apt to court a younger woman at our age, but they quickly find out what they are really after. Want someone you can have fun with, trust and not cheated on? We're here and ready to go! I've earned my shot at retirement and the past is left there. I agree with Gwendolyn - around the bend doesn't mean settling in the valley.
 sushisue
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2012 6:29:58 PM
I'm sixty, have been blessed with good health, love my job and I plan to stay active and enjoy life until I can't. Then I'll be giving my daughter trouble I guess, lol! Everything is peachy except I can't find a man to enjoy it with...been fishin a long time. Every day is a new day with new opportunities for everyone , so I'll quit complaining and be thankful I'm able to enjoy it all. The glass is always half full :)
 noeleena_
Msg: 83
Posted: 11/10/2012 11:03:00 PM
Hi,

Im just over 65, & dought ill meet up with any from here as im a Kiwi from down under , yet i have a life .
Involoved with 3 groups, Renaissance , Edwardian ,& our Scottish, Plus time with family.& im busy enough , with lots to do, & i have many many friends,

If you put a age limit on your self then youll miss out on too much.
& i get to go over the ditch to Austraila, & stay with friends,

...noeleena...
 RJM1207
Msg: 84
Posted: 11/11/2012 5:01:15 AM
Poople in my family commonly live into their late eighties. With the modern drugs and technology we have now the bar has been raised. Give that in good times realtionships barely seem to be able to make it past ten years. From sixty to eighty years at least opens up the possibility of two new life relationships. For me at least one more for life without kinds and financisal issues. The real question is "how long will you enjoy life." Most people I have met do not really enjoy it at any age :-)
 startingover_57
Msg: 85
Posted: 11/15/2012 5:23:05 PM
I never thought I'd find myself alone at this stage of my life, but I am. I'd like nothing better than to find someone and be in a normal healthy relationship again (my husband died 6 years ago), but all I seem to be attracting on POF is guys that expect sex, even upon the first meet...:(
 acads
Msg: 86
Posted: 11/18/2012 8:59:14 AM
Nope, no hope, nothing to look forward to, when I turn 60 I am going to stop doing the things I enjoy. I have 1095 days left I guess, I better get going.
 barra62
Msg: 87
Posted: 11/20/2012 9:00:50 PM
Still think there's much to do ,, cannot seem to find a female who is interested,,,, all want to stay home and fantasise it seems
 dmzvisitor
Msg: 88
Posted: 11/22/2012 8:53:09 AM
Hmm, maybe I don't get it b/c I am "only" 53, but it won't be "new," b/c it will be a continuation of all the living I am already doing. I did find it rather sad to read a man's profile when, at 65, he said, "I hope to own my own restaurant someday." Maybe that says a lot more about me than him, though. I guess it struck me as a "young man's dream." Or maybe it was just the way it was written. I've done most of the things I once wanted to do "some day," although there are "still things" I want to do. Visiting Ireland, India, and Istanbul, for example--and I *think* it is just a coincidence that they all begin with "I."
 geoweb
Msg: 89
Posted: 11/23/2012 7:10:04 AM
DMZ...I have often been accused of ordering more tunnel when I see the light of the current one because I generally look for new problems to solve. In many ways, I approach the bucket list in the same way...as I go through life, picking things off the list, I continually discover new challenges to add.

The gentleman you mention that has the dream to own his restaurant some day may had to wait until he was old enough to collect his pensions so he had backup income when he quit his day job to take the gamble. To my knowledge, (and I am 65 myself) there are very few things that we, as boomers, are not able to accomplish if we are willing to put the effort in. I was nearly 50 when I started playing in the 'over 35 hockey league' and played for almost 10 years, leaving only because I moved to a different state.

When you give up dreaming, you have given up living.
 Stormwolf
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2012 10:15:27 AM
Nope.. it gets worse. Unless... you watch your diet , take suppliments and avoid the Flu shot at all costs!
I've seen emphatically vibrant people in their mid 60's.... they don't let their age show or worry about it.
 lightninbug22
Msg: 91
Posted: 11/23/2012 10:57:35 AM
"Nope.. it gets worse. Unless... you watch your diet , take suppliments and avoid the Flu shot at all costs!"

I am with you on avoiding the flu shot---and I am a pretty young 60!! :-)
 linsu78
Msg: 92
Posted: 11/24/2012 7:52:48 PM
Yes we do!!!! I'm 62 and I'm definitely not ready to sit in a recliner and vegetate! I hope to meet someone who feels the same way that I do. I want adventure, romance etc.etc.etc.....bring on life baby!!!
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 93
Posted: 11/24/2012 8:59:24 PM

I do not understand the thinking behind Post #104. What is wrong with a man's dream to start his own business, even at age 65? I'm not sure how many women understand that building one's own business is a dream of MANY men, and for the most determined of the dreamers the dream stays alive despite years or even decades of "workin' for the Man." Personally, I admire the man's ambition to embark on a new venture of that magnitude - because here in Florida I have seen boatloads of people in his age range whose mental horizons don't seem to extend beyond the beach and the golf course.

I remember when I was young and people who were retiring from where I worked often were dead within a couple of years at age 67'ish. Lots of them simply lost interest in living because their careers defined who they were and nothing else mattered.

I'm 70 and am about to embark on a new career as a condo concierge. It involves a lot of security training, writing exams, etc., but it's well worth it to me. I'm really looking forward to it. :-)
 rustytraveler
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2012 1:01:45 AM
It seems to me that most people I meet are looking for a person to grow old and die with. Am I alone or are there others out there that still think of the future as a great and exciting place to live.

I suppose it depends on what you think would be a great and exciting quality of life existence?
I don't think it's all that unrealistic to keep tabs on where we are on the time line... as opposed to floating around pretending that we'll live forever... it's not like you've got another 40 years of free time ahead of you to figure it out again now do ya??? ;-)

Growing old is a fact of life, knowing that we are finite is a given..... how we choose to live these years is entirely up to you/us... just don't forget that you could waste a whole lot of time flitting around like a born again teenager and then end up croaking all alone. :-P
 VenusandAdonis
Msg: 95
”waste a whole lot of time flitting around like a born again teenager and then end up croaking alone.."
Posted: 11/25/2012 8:48:59 AM
"all I want to do is grow old with you"..still like that song, and incidentally like how you write rustytraveler, but some of us aren't ready for the rocking chair, just yet, well maybe sometimes, yes life is a gift...and to get with the program is to accept where you are in life and roll with it, but, never say die..not yet anyways..
 wistful411
Msg: 96
Posted: 11/25/2012 11:48:15 AM
To me, age is relative and not completely chronological. My philosophy is, if you feel good and still work at looking good, get out there! You never know who you'll meet to share life with. I don't need anyone to complete me, I'm a whole person all by myself, but I want to share the beauty of this world with someone, share my wonder of it. As long as I'm healthy and can still move, I intend to dance my way into the future!
 athenrye
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2012 12:58:08 PM
yes you are only as old as u feel,i can tell u i dont feel old.hopefully i will meet someone,feels the same xx
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 98
Posted: 11/25/2012 1:41:15 PM

To me, age is relative and not completely chronological. My philosophy is, if you feel good and still work at looking good, get out there! You never know who you'll meet to share life with. I don't need anyone to complete me, I'm a whole person all by myself, but I want to share the beauty of this world with someone, share my wonder of it. As long as I'm healthy and can still move, I intend to dance my way into the future!

I completely agree with this. Too bad you're so far away. :-)
 stayinalivefl
Msg: 99
Posted: 11/25/2012 2:51:06 PM
The future is all I have,,,,,,,,,the past basically sucks on a daily basis.
 rustytraveler
Msg: 100
view profile
History
”waste a whole lot of time flitting around like a born again teenager and then end up croaking alone..
Posted: 11/25/2012 10:20:07 PM

"all I want to do is grow old with you"..still like that song, and incidentally like how you write rustytraveler, but some of us aren't ready for the rocking chair, just yet, well maybe sometimes, yes life is a gift...and to get with the program is to accept where you are in life and roll with it, but, never say die..not yet anyways..

Oh fer goodness sake, that was a tad presumptuous... do you know me?

At your age I sold up a business and everything else and moved to Italy with a 10 yr old... within 5 years I bought derelict, remodeled and sold a B&B, now if that's a rockin' chair life, well.... it's been a turbo charged one for a whole lotta years lol.

I'm always in motion, well traveled, well dressed, well read, well wined and dined and have had more than my share of Peter Pans striving for the Holy Grail of the next best lay they can find... while forgetting that yes.. life really is finite and should encompass a few more of the other joys and pleasures that once might have included that feared and dastardly sentiment... a 'relationship' :O..... this is where two people meet, are capable of liking each enough to actually want to risk SHARING their next great adventure, as a team.... together.

So I'm still rockin' alright.... it's just that I'm in the market for something a bit more sensible and convenient than serial one offs with gentlemen who think they are born again teenagers who'll live forever... when frankly their shelf life is iffy at best. ;-) We ladies do live longer ya know.

It seems you completely missed my drift.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do people over sixty still think they can have a new life???