Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What has war since WW2 done for humanity?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 26
What has war since WW2 done for humanity?Page 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Lordy, what a great thread!!
Too bad it started off on a retarded premise : A wild and zany English comic MIGHT have said this: ,,,, and then everyone went off. Basically a troll post, but a good one.
OP, why pick WWII as a point of discussion? Why not the Ice age, or any other point in time?
Haven't wars been fought since the beginning, by all groups, for whatever reason? Access to the sea, resources of value, religious differences, family arguments, food shortages. land boundaries, has anything changed?
R
 Paul K
Msg: 27
view profile
History
What has war since WW2 done for humanity?
Posted: 2/15/2012 3:06:09 PM
Hey want........

Are you of the opinion that the USA initiated "all her wars since WW2"?

Seeing how you don't live in the USA, why is it that you are losing sleep over what you perceive to be such a wayword and retched country?

Paul K
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/15/2012 3:16:51 PM

Seeing how you don't live in the USA, why is it that you are losing sleep over what you perceive to be such a wayword and retched country?

I can not speak for the poster, but IMO:

When you see a country like the US and what they have done to other countries that did nothing to them and then you look in your backyard and you see lots of clean water, lots of oil and then you think, well if they want it bad enough, they just might make some shit up to come get it.

Not saying that I think it would happen, but just saying given history it is not totally beyond the realm of possibilities.
 Paul K
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2012 3:43:06 PM
Hey Aris....... and want..............

The title of the thread is a question about WAR...... "What has war since WW2 done for humanity?"............. not about the USA. The question posited asks about WAR, not the USA, but there will always be those who will take any chance at all, no matter how oblique to the subject to spit on the USA. That is understood, and taken accordingly.

Granted there are those that see the USA as the scourge of all things, and the the USA has done nothing on the positive side of the scales ever, so those that feel that way will see the USA under only one light, so your opinions are taken with a grain, or a whole box full, of salt.

Paul K
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/15/2012 3:54:49 PM

The title of the thread is a question about WAR...... "What has war since WW2 done for humanity?"............. not about the USA. The question posited asks about WAR, not the USA, but there will always be those who will take any chance at all, no matter how oblique to the subject to spit on the USA. That is understood, and taken accordingly.

Then why did you ask this?

So are you lecturing yourself on what to post, because from what I see you are the one that asked the question?

Granted there are those that see the USA as the scourge of all things, and the the USA has done nothing on the positive side of the scales ever, so those that feel that way will see the USA under only one light, so your opinions are taken with a grain, or a whole box full, of salt.

There are also those that think the US has not done any wrong and a the saints of the world.
 Paul K
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2012 4:04:17 PM
Hey Aris......

You posted the following:
"Then why did you ask this?

So are you lecturing yourself on what to post, because from what I see you are the one that asked the question?"

Even though it is very simple, I will tell you......... I posted that in response to another poster.......... not all posts are directed to you.

All countries have done things wrong, even the USA, so who exactly are you referring to?

Paul K
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/15/2012 8:41:05 PM
@ Vlad

do you actually think im ashamed of my country? lol

probably not; as I'm sure you are quite proud of what your overlords have done in the oppression & subjugation of primitive pples

it happened a long time ago, get over it

Oh silly me! Then I guess that makes it all okay and dandy, That must explain why you didn't have to pay not 1 measly pence in restitution & reparations.

the invaders(europeans) oh dear so prior to the uk slapping johnny foreigner about no one else had ever left their shores and landed somewhere and slapped the locals?

Yes, but not with the playing field titled so heavily in your favor; if you wanted to be fair about it, then you should have given the "locals' the same amount of guns that you had going in! Would have made it more 'sporting' don't you think!

aw so you shermans could have been speaking german? but your not,
so get over that as well

just curious, but what language was spoken in your land before the English conquered & subjugated it? Im sure it wasn't the King's English! At least we could VOTE on which language to use! Did you?

here maybe thats why the soldiers in the other thread had what looked like the lightning flash runes used by the waffen ss? maybe they were mourning english winning the battle of the languages and were showing solidarity with the uk haters?

Yep, you call it right (again) mate!

ive never said i wanted the uk broken up, and
i think if they had a vote now we still would not vote for independence.

Spoken like a true descendant of Brave heart, eh! Im just imaging what he would have done with someone like you had you been standing within range of his sword!
@ Chillicat

same as what you people done to the native american indians..? you slaughtered 1000s of them..women and children too..took there scalps and land using your advance fire power against bow and arrows and tomahawks..

we have acknowledged this, and (unlike you) we are NOT proud of it.

etc and to think if you guys would of helped us in ww2 when we asked..there would of been millions of lives saved from the nazi war machine

At the end of WW-1; both the british, french leadership "asked" the USA to STAY AWAY and not get involved in European affairs, and that they knew best on how to handle and resolve their matters. As a result; Woodrow Wilson's peace settlement (the 14 points) were discarded in favor of a more harsh & rigidly oppressive accord imposed on Germany; such that it set the stage for the rise of fascism & Nazism; not only that, but when these dictators came to power you did NOTHING to stop them. So now ask yourself again who could have truly saved millions of lives.

not many older british folk have ever forgot or forgiven you for standing by and watching the genocide going on in europe in the 30s and 40s..naughty..naughty

really, did they also "forget" the many cargo ships that set sail from N. America bring you much needed supplies from 1940 and on? Without which your side would have died of starvation! did they also forget of the 1000's of US sailors and brave merchant marines who gave their lives in the cold Atlantic from U-boat torpedes? All in the effort to try to help you survive the MESS you created!
 jimmiex
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2012 9:37:10 PM
world war two pulled america out of the depression and the cold war prevented it from reoccurring after the millions of soldiers returned and the massive domestic military production was no longer needed. our affluence is based on a militarism.
like baseball war has been very good for americans. but all good things end.
 whiskeypapa
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/16/2012 9:26:52 AM

Lordy, what a great thread!!
Too bad it started off on a retarded premise : A wild and zany English comic MIGHT have said this: ,,,, and then everyone went off. Basically a troll post, but a good one.
OP, why pick WWII as a point of discussion? Why not the Ice age, or any other point in time?
Haven't wars been fought since the beginning, by all groups, for whatever reason? Access to the sea, resources of value, religious differences, family arguments, food shortages. land boundaries, has anything changed?

Hats off to RichenLosAngeles !!! The one calm voice in this thread of shrill name-calling and finger pointing. One point I would like to make is the one I tell my grandchildren: You don't make yourself better by saying others have done worse.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 35
Posted: 2/16/2012 10:22:19 AM
@Chillicat

you charged us alot of money for your help in the war

You should gladly re-pay it because it was worth every pence for you; And how much do you think the lives of the sailors who died at sea are worth? No matter how much you think you had to pay; you got a bargain. When it was over, you got to keep your country and your language and you didn't have to salute a picture of the Fuhrer. Not bad at all; considering the huge mess your side started.

you americans would be lost without us brits at your side..you are a disaster on your own..just look what happend in vietnam dude..and somalia..same thing would of happend in the gulf most likely if us brits werent there to help and guide you

Boy well, that sure puts our mind at peace; knowing that you'll be there to guide us through. Next time we need to beat up on some poor 3rd world country we'll be sure to consult you; since you have 100's of years of experience doing it.

be grateful for our friendship dude.you will need us again somtime in the future..

Sure thing mate! thank you for saving us from Nazism, and Communism; we could not have done without you! We will be forever in debt to you!
 whiskeypapa
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/16/2012 10:24:47 AM
Settle down kiddies, don't make me come up there!!!
 matchlight
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2012 4:41:44 PM

Haven't wars been fought since the beginning, by all groups, for whatever reason?

Are you really saying that when the Han spread out across what's now China a few thousand years ago, they violated the native peoples who were living there? With all due respect, I find that hard to believe. I prefer to think that they asked the locals nicely if they could have some of their land, or at least offered them women, liquor, etc. in exchange.

And the same with all people of color around the world. When *they* invaded someplace, I'm sure they did it in a polite, civilized way. But not the white man. From what I've heard, it was only when the whites started spreading out that all the violence began--just as if it were in our blood. No wonder the rest of the world hates us so much. Why, why can't we all just get along?
 statemachine500
Msg: 38
Posted: 2/16/2012 7:27:11 PM
We could all get along if Americans accepted the fact that you must pay people for their oil,and land,and not continually plot to steal it.At the moment the Americans and Israel are trying to decide if it's worth possibly plunging the world into another world war trying to invade Iran.
 Paul K
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2012 7:50:42 PM
Hey state.........

PLEASE show me how the USA does not pay for oil........... and how we steal it...........

Last I heard there was this thing called OPEC that pretty much sets the price of oil.

Oh, and, the USA is NOT an oil purchaser, the OIL COMPANIES are.

You are delusional at best. I wonder where you got the "information" that the USA steals oil. Actually, after listening to folks like you, sometimes I think that we should just say fu@k it, and turn your delusion into reality. What the hell, you and others with similar delusions feel we steal the oil, so lets steal it.

Paul K
 matchlight
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2012 10:58:57 PM

We could all get along if Americans accepted the fact that you must pay people for their oil,and land,and not continually plot to steal it.

We MUST? What about if we just bombed them until they were done, and then took whatever we wanted? The very fact the U.S. has NOT done that, when it easily could have many times, puts lie to your slander. In the late 1940's, the U.S. had a couple hundred atom bombs, and no one else had even one. It could have forced every other country in the world to disarm, and then do just as it was told.

<div class="quote">At the moment the Americans and Israel are trying to decide if it's worth possibly plunging the world into another world war trying to invade Iran.

Yes that IS terrible. But it's not as bad as the shameful way Austria, Norway, Poland, Britain, and France plunged the world into war by provoking Germany. Hitler had no territorial ambitions in Europe--we know that because he said so.
 Paul K
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2012 10:45:09 AM
^^^^^^^^

You forgot Yugoslavia and Romania, therefore your list is invalid................................

Paul K
 statemachine500
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/17/2012 5:10:52 PM

PLEASE show me how the USA does not pay for oil........... and how we steal it...........

Last I heard there was this thing called OPEC that pretty much sets the price of oil.

Oh, and, the USA is NOT an oil purchaser, the OIL COMPANIES are.

You are delusional at best. I wonder where you got the "information" that the USA steals oil. Actually, after listening to folks like you, sometimes I think that we should just say fu@k it, and turn your delusion into reality. What the hell, you and others with similar delusions feel we steal the oil, so lets steal it.

The only thing of note concerning the invasion of Iraq was the signing of the oil production agreement with basically the same group as in the 1930's.It should be declared illegal as it was signed under duress.Now they trot out the same old story about Iran being a threat and possibly having weapons of mass destruction.Just an excuse to invade and control the supply of oil.You see Paul,you Americans have still not grasped that your country's military is used to enrich the elite,it's nothing to do with securing freedom for anybody,merely to have their hands on the reins of power.

Your grasp of the situation in French Indochina was a real laugh bud.
 statemachine500
Msg: 43
Posted: 2/17/2012 5:20:59 PM

In the late 1940's, the U.S. had a couple hundred atom bombs, and no one else had even one. It could have forced every other country in the world to disarm, and then do just as it was told.

Yes matchlight,they could have and should have forced the Bolsheviks to retreat and release those poor people that were enslaved.It seems somebody in the front offices had a warm feeling for those commies.

Yes that IS terrible. But it's not as bad as the shameful way Austria, Norway, Poland, Britain, and France plunged the world into war by provoking Germany. Hitler had no territorial ambitions in Europe--we know that because he said so.s,doesn't it?

We could go on forever about what might have changed the course of history in that period.Certainly the greed of Britain went a long,long way towards causing it.Winnie did declare war btw.Maybe we can blame it on the French.
 statemachine500
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/17/2012 5:26:51 PM

You forgot Yugoslavia and Romania, therefore your list is invalid................................

You should check the history of your birthplace Paul.More complicated than that.Which side was your family on,or were they partisans....
 Paul K
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2012 5:51:12 PM
Hey state.............

When I said: "You forgot Yugoslavia and Romania, therefore your list is invalid................................", I said it intending it to be humor..... sorry you missed that part.

As far as the history of my birthplace......... well, anytime you wish to have an indepth discussion of Yugoslavia, how it came to be, the various monarchy's/republics that were part of it.............. well, just let me know, but please don't presume that I don't know.

We lived in a small village just outside of Belgrade, so technically, we are Serbian, but.... in that area, Romanians formed the highest percentage of ethnicities.

As far as what side we were on........ well, we were against the Germans, and hated the communists, which is why we eventually left. During WW-2, my father fought against the Germans, and really didn't want to talk about it. I did get some stories of that time from one of his army "buddies" that he was paired up with as a sniper team. Sometimes, they didn't go out on patrol because they didn't have bullets, and until they killed some Germans, and took their guns, ammo, boots, warm clothes, they couldn't do much.

I do know the history of where I was born, and most of it wasn't pretty.

Paul K
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/17/2012 9:21:03 PM
Paul, my father was American and got shot down from a B-24 while dropping bombs over Ploesti. Then spent a year and a half enjoying German hospitality near Barth, I believe in an Allied airmen's camp. He came out like a skeleton, but he did come out.
I wonder, how much of history WAS pretty?
 matchlight
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2012 9:39:50 PM

Winnie did declare war btw.

If you mean Mr. Churchill, you are mistaken. He didn't declare anything. Britain went to war with Germany on September 3, 1939, when Neville Chamberlain was still Prime Minister. Chamberlain very soon invited Churchill to head the Admiralty, and he accepted.
 Paul K
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2012 12:35:35 PM
Hey Richen....

A very good friend of mine was a B-17 pilot out of Italy who went on missions over Ploesti. He came from a rather wealthy family, and had a 16mm wind up camera that he took video with. He showed me video, actually it had been transferred to DVD, from the****it of the B-17, and he even has video of the P-51 Mustangs with red tails flying past them on the way to try to get rid of the German fighter planes that were trying to shoot down the B-17s.

A lot of history was good, but a lot wasn't. What I have learned is that when you meet someone who starts telling you war stories, and just how awful it was, and just how everybody was against the particular confllict they claim to have been in, usually it is all BULL $HIT. My own father never talked about what he did in the war, even when asked. The only time I ever heard him say anything about it was when a gentleman who was his comrade in arms came to visit, and the two of them talked about what had happened.

It was late in the evening, and most everybody else had left, and the two of them spoke in very hushed tones. There were others listening, as was I, who kept very quiet, as we realized this was a very special moment. After about an hour, they both fell silent, and there were tears in their eyes. It was a very reverent moment, and one I will not forget.

The greatest truism ever penned was that the most honorable thing was to put ones life in jeapordy for the freedom of fellow man.

Paul K
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/18/2012 2:22:38 PM
Paul, you probably know that being in a bomber crew was the most hazardous assignment possible, worse than being a scout or even a spy, with a 70% attrition rate. I can just imagine, being up there in this big, slow, noisy, clumsy airplane full of explosives(!!), flying in formation, knowing that a well-trained well-equipped enemy has excellent defenses against you and will stop at nothing to kill you. Talk about your stained shorts,,,
R
 matchlight
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2012 2:47:29 PM
^^^^
Those bombers usually flew at only about 200 mph, often without any fighter escort. Five or six hours up there must have seemed like forever. And you're right about the defense--by all accounts, it was usually very good, and very determined.

Good WWII film I recommend--"One of our Aircraft is Missing." It was based on a true story of a British bomber crew that was forced down in occupied Holland and had to make its way out, with some help from the Dutch.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What has war since WW2 done for humanity?