Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > PoF Forum and dating. What have you learned?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PrettyBr0wneyed1
Msg: 278
PoF Forum and dating. What have you learned?Page 12 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
What I have learned is that keeping it brief, light and if you can invoke some humor, it keeps people engaged. The more lengthy profiles most times don't get read, many primarily just look at photos. I think it's better to keep a lot of profile information brief and left to dialogue and in the course of that, you can tell if you may want to proceed or not.

Also, to be leery of the catfish on the site, if something seems off, it usually is, either opt to skype or opt to cut the interaction. Go with your gut instinct. I tend to want to be an optimist and believe that most are not honest, so asking enough probing questions you can figure some things out.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 279
PoF Forum and dating. What have you learned?
Posted: 3/8/2015 2:26:45 PM

PlentyOfFish is accurate enough for a name.
You just have to realize there is a lot of mercury poisoning going on.

This could be a problem as well. GMO corn diet, antibiotics, hormones. Then all the stuff during the slaughter in terms of salmonella or e-coli.

Don't forget about chlorine, fluoride, EDTA, TBHQ and BPA...all hostility, ADHD causing additives...lol

Yo you guys want to get down off these plastic water bottles? BPA is the shit, why go for GMO's when you can have industrial chemical BPA.

I'll eat poultry instead...

POF advice, always use a condom, even with oral.
 the_summerwind
Msg: 280
Posted: 3/8/2015 5:37:54 PM

Also, to be leery of the catfish on the site, if something seems off, it usually is, either opt to skype or opt to cut the interaction. Go with your gut instinct. I tend to want to be an optimist and believe that most are not honest, so asking enough probing questions you can figure some things out.

Know question about it ! Your Words of the Wise...

I think in the beginning you give the other person the benefit of a doubt !....But here all bets are off if in that respect. If you're been here... or there after a while you’re see.... & you have to be realistic & rational. Nothing else !
Never trust anyone here till... they can meet you in the middle for starters. Never assume they are telling the truth till then. As many are still going through their past heeling process, etc etc...lets hope for them it works out...

And remember there are a lot of'' sweet talkers here'' that only here to ‘’stroke you or others of their days gone by''.... etc... as I find those the aka, ‘’ the evil types ‘' that only here to hurt....as their past must have been very traumatic & so I guess I should feel sympathy for them in that regards.

imo.... if the fish smells the slightest fishy.... through that Sucker back... cuz he or she is past its prime in any capacity in a conducive relationship, friendship, etc,etc. Imo... send them to a shrink if need be... its not your problem but theirs.
 iamconstipated
Msg: 281
Posted: 3/9/2015 7:35:13 AM
By reading the posts learned how many bitter divorced men exist who think all women are out for their wallet. Can't blame them when the bitter guys threading lack a personality.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 282
Posted: 3/9/2015 8:46:32 AM
I've learned - that somebody is a sophist

The way men and women (indivisbily) associate themselves.
i.e. Tom thinks all women are the same because hes an idiot, and his experience was subjective. So Tom is a hypocrit (for the female version sub tom with angina.

What anyone meeting the threshold of relatively intelligent. Would know the difference between personal experience, and gender as a whole.

But uh, yeah, gender wars are cool because they bring out the tards.
 Cynderella
Msg: 283
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2015 8:53:38 AM
^^^ I like being a tard in real life I'm a tart

P.S. Not much other than some are bitter and some slay me to tears with laughter.

I did learn...I like Pigs
 the_summerwind
Msg: 284
Posted: 3/10/2015 4:37:33 AM
@ purplerider1200
"Are you gardening for sympathy?"
No. Call it, looking at reality straight on, and accepting things the way they are. What do you expect us to do? Pick the first available, and go sashaying off into the sunset? Yeah, right. I'm not stepping in front of that train.

And I don't see you doing it.

^^^ Yes she been crying in her beer for many years here....& it sound like she already been run over by a train...

As her constant depressing posts, past relationships, dates, bad luck, etc, etc will attain too...

Many here have tried to give her hope & encouragement over the years, but to sadly to no avail... as she keep her little choo choo train going along... in her woes of the world she lives in.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 285
Posted: 3/10/2015 5:43:11 PM

No. Call it, looking at reality straight on, and accepting things the way they are. What do you expect us to do? Pick the first available, and go sashaying off into the sunset?

According to that other guy, no one wants him anyway, so he won’t be picking or sashaying with anyone. Or you either apparently since it appears he’s your spokesman. Thus, the garnering sympathy comment.
 Dee4166
Msg: 286
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2015 11:44:52 AM

Most all women are damaged goods. As much as they don't want to admit it, looks plays a big part in who they choose. They want a witty guy, that has prestigious sounding career. (So that they can impress friends/family on who wants them) In an 80/20 ranking, I'd say pretty close to 40% of them think they are in the 20% range. A fair number of them have self-esteem issues. That, unfortunately shows up by what size they are. But then, I believe both sexes suffer from that anyway.

Well I've learned is that the majority of men, especially in these forums, think EXACTLY like this....

Whether or not this is actually accurate or has ANY basis in reality is debatable, but apparently they are CONVINCED of it's veracity!
Appears to me to be largely a case of "believe and you will find what you believe", but hey, far be it from me to stand in the way of someone's generalizations...

Frankly if this were REALLY true, then I suspect that the world population would be MUCH smaller...LOL

I wish all of the guys who believe this the BEST of luck finding a partner or a mate, because from the looks of things that WON'T be happening ANY time soon!!!
 JoeBnD
Msg: 287
Posted: 3/11/2015 9:03:57 PM

What do you expect us to do? Pick the first available, and go sashaying off into the sunset?

Apparently, that is exactly what they expect us to do. Sorry (not really) to disappoint.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 288
Posted: 3/11/2015 9:14:46 PM

Well I've learned is that the majority of men, especially in these forums, think EXACTLY like this....

I've learned not to follow what people say in the Forums as the "comfort-zone" or litmus test to what's seen/felt as decent/okay in the dating scene. When virtually everyone's on the Same Page -- sure. But other than that, be weary.

A classic one is complaining about short messages sent to gals like "Hey, what's up?" In real life, although that's not the best opener of course, it's actually more accepted than an opinion poll of folks in the forums. Kinda obvious though as people in the forums are looking to read/write more than your average bear. Not good to go by just small one-liners for a Convo, of course, but for an opener? Many people are 100% fine with it, although something with a bit more is usually better.
 absurdbutpreferred
Msg: 289
Posted: 3/11/2015 9:25:44 PM
I've learned the following;

College girls date for free movies, food, concert tickets etc.

Girls dig guys who ride bikes. Not motorcycles motorcycles. Hopefully this trend will end soon.

That is all.
 absurdbutpreferred
Msg: 290
Posted: 3/11/2015 9:27:13 PM
I have also learned my phone is not compatible with the forums and that it likes to make me sound uneducated.
 the_summerwind
Msg: 291
Posted: 3/13/2015 3:29:21 PM
@JoeBnD

Apparently, that is exactly what they expect us to do. Sorry (not really) to disappoint.

Sadly, but true Joe.....As its a fact why there are still more men here then women proves your point !

Whether it be on the Net or in IRL.....to date etc, etc... open to still inter mingle etc is the Key !

And why older men or men in general might want to seek younger women who are less then those who are carrying all the blanks.... & those younger who are that are more conducive to still enjoy dating etc.....

For those who have a we bit too much to accepting & handling or understanding .... then just listen...& then decide....
PS....enjoy those who still enjoy... & stay in just still spinning their wheels....etc bs’s ....good luck
 the_summerwind
Msg: 292
Posted: 3/13/2015 3:32:58 PM
This from @ Gwendolyn2010
Ditto.
The POF forums are a microcosm of the world--the biggest difference that I can see is that people who would usually keep their mouths shut "out there" will speak up "in here" because anonymity lends bravado.

I liken the forums to sitting on a park bench or inside a mall listening to dozens of people give their opinions on several topics that are stated hundreds of different ways: both the topics and opinions are limited in scope but are merely restated each go 'round."

The types of people whom I meet in real life are the same as in the forums: the bully, the coward (one who would not speak otherwise but lets go with everything held in for a period of time), the kind know-it-all, the unkind know-it-all, the timid, the empathetic, the strong, the weak, the braggart, the teacher, the student, the sympathetic, the one with the inferior complex who knows, the one with the inferior complex who tries to seem superior, the defensive, the offensive, the vain whose ego needs stroking, people in true pain . . . the list goes on.

There are cliques and there are outsiders. People form alliances and choose enemies.
 Dee4166
Msg: 293
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2015 6:46:39 PM

The POF forums are a microcosm of the world--the biggest difference that I can see is that people who would usually keep their mouths shut "out there" will speak up "in here" because anonymity lends bravado.

I liken the forums to sitting on a park bench or inside a mall listening to dozens of people give their opinions on several topics that are stated hundreds of different ways: both the topics and opinions are limited in scope but are merely restated each go 'round."

The types of people whom I meet in real life are the same as in the forums: the bully, the coward (one who would not speak otherwise but lets go with everything held in for a period of time), the kind know-it-all, the unkind know-it-all, the timid, the empathetic, the strong, the weak, the braggart, the teacher, the student, the sympathetic, the one with the inferior complex who knows, the one with the inferior complex who tries to seem superior, the defensive, the offensive, the vain whose ego needs stroking, people in true pain . . . the list goes on.

There are cliques and there are outsiders. People form alliances and choose enemies.

And this is different from ANY other group of people how, exactly????

Riiiiggghhhttt...then you have the 'analyzers' who are somehow just 'above it all'....lol
 Never_in_Life
Msg: 294
Posted: 3/14/2015 4:48:06 AM

Riiiiggghhhttt...then you have the 'analyzers' who are somehow just 'above it all'....lol

But Gwendolyn was right, Dee. I'm not saying you (or anyone else) is the reason for her thoughts, but she was right. You don't have to be "above it all" to see how some of the things posted here are pretty brutal.

You're right. It really isn't all that different from any other segment of society, but this place is definitely *not* the place to be for profound and sage dating advice either.
 Dee4166
Msg: 295
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2015 6:43:45 AM
Well Never...
I kinda figure that it's a case of take what you want and leave the rest....

Works for me and I have gotten some interesting perspectives and good advice from many posters on here...Even the most 'brutal' have their 'good days'....;-)

The beauty of here, as opposed to other places such as work or school or even just out and about, is that you can just press a button and it all goes away....
Can't change others....but we can flip the off switch....
 Never_in_Life
Msg: 296
Posted: 3/14/2015 6:55:39 AM
^^^^All of which I can't argue with. Good points.
 Dee4166
Msg: 297
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2015 7:30:36 AM
Well...and I had SUCH a good counter argument ready!!!!
Damn Never....NOW what do I do????!!!!!

LMAO

It's my mantra that I have to repeat to myself all the time....Whether here or IRL....

"Can't change anybody else.....so what CAN I do, to make this situation better for myself..."

Sometimes it's turning off the laptop, or reminding myself that annoying people really AREN'T giving ME a second thought, though they certainly have space in MY head, or just taking a DEEEEEEEEPPPPPP breath and focusing on lowering my blood pressure....and asking myself (reminding myself) 'How important is this REALLY in the big scheme of things?'....
Often just shutting my mouth and/or staying away from the keyboard as I count to 100 is the best solution....

I am also open to ANY suggestions for any other 'tricks and tips' that anyone else may have....;-)
 Fire_and_Ice4_You
Msg: 298
Posted: 3/14/2015 7:34:42 AM
Dee

The beauty of here, as opposed to other places such as work or school or even just out and about, is that you can just press a button and it all goes away....
Can't change others....but we can flip the off switch

Agreed! This is a place you take it for what it is.

All I can say is thank goodness, I didn't know or read the forums when I first signed on the dating site with an open mind and met some wonderful people....lol.
If I had....I probably wouldn't have dated.

I like all the different personalities...even the ever "bitterbros".
I remember Gwendolyn....I wonder what she perceived her "character type" to be? I know, I had an opinion of her and no I'm not sharing.
 Dee4166
Msg: 299
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2015 7:47:39 AM

All I can say is thank goodness, I didn't know or read the forums when I first signed on the dating site with an open mind and met some wonderful people....lol.

Wish I could say the same!!! lmao
I actually came on here FOR the forums and THEN filled out a profile in order to be able to post!! LOL

Had never even given online dating a second thought until I started connecting with people...

Yikes!!! What does that say about ME?!?!?!?! LMAO

(Rhetorical question BTW, NO need to 'answer'!!! I'm WELL aware of just what that says!!! lol)

Well, I always WAS into 'dangerous' things and thrill seeking....

Fast cars, fast motorcycles, fast horses, dangerous animals and hard core cons....so I guess I'm comfy here...

Because.....

HERE.....

There be DRAGONS!!!!!! LOL

Sometimes....and sometimes, just regular people trying to do their best each and every day, just like me, to make it through this insane, thrilling, crazy, often ridiculous but always interesting ...LIFE!..;-)
 sigungq
Msg: 300
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2015 9:10:01 AM
I've learned that the only date I can find is the one on the calendar. BTW, today is PI day. A 100 year PI day as a matter of fact: 3.1415.......... Now there's a date to celebrate.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > PoF Forum and dating. What have you learned?