Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Music taste...a turn off?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Wafta
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Music taste...a turn off?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I'm a bit of a Dancehall and Reggae freak, simply because it does things to me that no other music does...though I do have an overall very eclectic taste depending on my mood.

A little while ago, I spent a bit of time with a white man who said that, because of my taste in music, he felt like he couldn't live up to my expectations......he who was playing a Marilyn Manson DVD when I went to his flat!!

I would also add that I appreciate that my taste is not everyone else's and try to play more suitable music when I have people over that I know wouldn't like my stuff.

Anyway, my point is, would you run a mile if you met someone who's music taste didn't suit you?
 Wafta
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Music taste...a turn off?
Posted: 2/19/2012 12:07:40 PM
So, considering the comment "I can't live up to your expectations", does anyone think a person's taste in music defines their personality, what they might want from a partner?
 Wafta
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2012 12:16:37 PM
I really don't want it dissecting light-star, just interested in how other people might see it. I know exactly how I feel about it, don't worry

Not sure I could have put up with Marilyn Manson either, but it certainly didn't make me think he was some kind of freak!

Edit ^^^^ Pauline....I did think twice before putting "white man" and maybe I shouldn't, but hey! I do know a lot of white people, my family included, don't like this genre, so maybe this had something to do with it? I dunno, not bothered by it, just interested in views here.
 Wafta
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2012 12:25:13 PM

I know some people will disagree with this but, quite often, if a white girl is really into soca, dancehall , reggae and other "black" music, then there is a pretty good chance that she has plenty of black friends and/or is into black guys.

(that percentage goes right up, if she's also a fan of rice n peas, jerk chicken, patties and saltfish n hakee)

Wouldn't that be spelt Ackee?! Maybe the fact that I have mixed race kids kind of gives that game away too.

However, that's irrelevant, because I was clearly interested in him and, when he said the expectations thing, I did ask and he said something along the lines of "you know, your music and stuff"

In actual fact, I was looking through some old tunes the other day and found a favourite song of mine from 1981, when I was only 13, at which point I had never set eyes on a REAL black person!!! So, for me, the two are not connected, but are they assumed to be by outsiders?
 Sniper308
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/19/2012 1:25:57 PM
Anyway, my point is, would you run a mile if you met someone who's music taste didn't suit you?

Yes. Presuming I'd be spending great periods of time with the woman, in a car on trips, and her taste in music didn't match mine... yeah, I'd have a major, major problem with that. Personally, I like listening to what I like listening to and that's that. I'm not going to put up with something she likes listening to which I consider crap. Likewise, she shouldn't put up with stuff I like that she doesn't. If we weren't going to spend lots of time together, I guess it wouldn't be a problem, but then what's the point of even having a relationship? It wouldn't matter how perfect she was in all other aspects; if I couldn't stand to be with her for hours in the car because she kept wanting to listen to something that made me want to rip the radio out of the dash, things would come to an end quickly. I don't need the additional stress.

Milo: You think you're so f**kin' cool, don't you? You think you're so f**kin' cool. Well just once, I would like to hear you scream, in pain.

Joe Hallenbeck: Play some rap music.

~ "The Last Boy Scout," 1991
 Wafta
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2012 1:44:01 PM
Wow....I'm a BMW?!!!

Like I said, I don't obsess about my music, this particular genre is what makes me happy, gets me in the mood for love, cheers me up and all those other things music helps with, but I can put it aside if the situation warrants it and never force it on anyone.

I think a lot of you are right that, if its a constant irritation, it may be a problem....not sure I could have handled much more Marilyn Manson and I'm not sure how much opera or classical I could take before I went into meltdown....anything else goes I think.
 sprite1950
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2012 11:42:00 PM
When my kids were younger and lived at home I had britney spears blasting out from my daughter's room and prodigy from my son's. I kind of learned to block it out, at least it never really bothered me, not sure what the neighbours thought though
Posted: 2/20/2012 1:18:02 AM
Gawd if they were into Cliff Richard and Elvis and played it all the time - I would be outta there like a shot!
 sprite1950
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2012 5:24:11 AM
^^ One of my friends bought tickets for my birthday one year to go and see the Beautiful South. I didnt like them either but I had to go. I'd never even mentioned them before so I have no idea why she thought I liked them.
 stonecastle
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2012 8:14:54 AM
I used to like punk rock a lot. Here are punk legends Circle Jerks with an old classic punk song : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUj-ByRJKug
 Marquis_de_Michaelmas
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2012 9:15:49 AM
Anyone that starts singing “Achy Breaky Heart” is a NO NO! for me!
 *rem*
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2012 5:50:27 PM

Fly Me To The Moon has that effect on me.

After your comments about Rick astley (and the above) I thought i'd be open minded and check out what stirrs your soul, namely Rachmaninov Piano Concerto no. 3 in D minor - I. Allegro ma non tanto..
Guys and girls.. Don't do it! I took one for the team so you don't have to.
Les Dawson used to get laughed at for doing exactly the same thing!
 *rem*
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2012 6:31:12 PM

Why did you feel the need to mention the fact he is white? Are we aliens to you or something?

Msg 11
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Music taste...a turn off?