Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Would you date a sarcastic woman? Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

People who pride themselves on sarcasm end up being unfunny, mean spirited reactionaries who knee jerk mock others, usually out of inadequacy.

^ Exactly!!
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Would you date a sarcastic woman?
Posted: 2/24/2012 2:57:44 PM
I've always had a problem with this type of language. There are times when a sarcastic remark is appropriate, but when used to excess or when a person, woman in this case, actually describes herself as a "sarcastic" person, that is not someone I would get along with. I think it throws a mirror upon what that person sees as their character.

I've never been able to stand the humor of folks like Don Rickles. "I'm smarter and better than you because I can come up with a clever put-down." Not my cup of tea.

TK
[Maybe I'm jealous because I'm too dim-witted to come with timely put-downs. hmmm.]
 OyVay...
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/24/2012 7:01:18 PM
I guess then, most people from NYC, can never date anyone!

I found that most everybody there was somewhat sarcastic!

It was GREAT!! By the way.
 lacalli
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/25/2012 10:17:39 AM
Yep, must be one a them big city things. Because my parents are from NYC (mom from the Bronx, dad from Manhattan) and that's their type of humor. My dad could do stand up he's that funny. Perfect timing and flawless delivery. And sarcasm goes over well in El Ay where I hail from. I have had sarcastic friends here who make huge bucks writing for tee vee.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/25/2012 1:29:42 PM
If she is sarcastic......
................and attractive....
sure.

All women can be abit harpy-ish.
Good to know....upfront.... to what depth.
So if she's cute, and sharp,
I'll deal.

I try to use my innate shallowness
to override the annoyances of other aspects.
:-P
 colt8301
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/25/2012 3:24:51 PM

Would you enjoy a great companionship by a sarcastic woman? Why or why not? Do you consider it lame or attractive? Considering true meanings yet a joke here and there. How and when to initiate a stop, handling it?

I hang around anybody with this kind of humor. Since I am overly sarcastic myself, it would be a "rip roaring, s$%^talking" fest
 mysteriosa
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2012 3:40:36 PM
I wouldn't date a woman anyway, not being that way inclined, but neither would I date a sarcastic guy. I don't feel comfortable with sarcasm and feel it's a form of aggression. As I don't like aggression unless it is defensive and only used when absolutely necessary, I wouldn't invite someone into my life if I felt there was an underlying aggression there.

I think Luke got it spot on!
 chromelove08
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2012 11:36:18 AM
Thank you m_church. Sarcasm doesn't have to be demeaning or rude. I am pretty sarcastic...so is my whole family and i won't change it for anything. There is a level of intelligence in being sarcastic because you have to think quickly and know how to make it funny. People who wouldn't date someone who is even a little sarcastic, doesn't value the beauty of humor or spontaneity.
 prometheus76
Msg: 35
Would you date a sarcastic man?
Posted: 2/29/2012 9:55:49 AM

cutting, contempt or ridicule...no sir, I don't like it. It reeks of an insensitive person.

No it doesn't. Some people have a sardonic/dry sense of humor. You're basically calling people without your sense of humor insensitive.

Sarcasm for the sake of sarcasm is not a sardonic sense of humor.
 lacalli
Msg: 36
Would you date a sarcastic man?
Posted: 2/29/2012 10:00:23 AM
I would. If I dated women anyway. I just might start and in which case I'll look for a sarcastic one. Are there any sarcastic lesbians who look like Selena Gomez only 25 years older?
 prometheus76
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/29/2012 10:27:06 AM

In a recent poll 'Sarcasm' was 2nd out of the top 10 unattractive qualities of a woman... I would say I’d have to agree. If you play it like a numbers game... yes some men will appreciate sarcasm but as it can come across derogatory and aggressive then you'll find that most men really don’t like it.

(CITATION NEEDED)

Dry wit is only derogatory if the other person can't understand the joke. Which, then becomes another joke.

Also remember, no decent guy with the right intentions wants to take his new sarcastic girlfriend back to his family and friends when she then starts to throw sarcastic comments at them also.

My family and friends would destroy anyone who tried to be sarcastic without the wit and logic to back it up. They would also relish the experience.

Relationships are 50% more likely to be successful if you have acceptance from your partners friends and family

(CITATION NEEDED)

The Real Hitch

Don't know if srs
 femaleconnection
Msg: 38
Posted: 2/29/2012 11:26:34 AM
I like sarcasm sometimes, but I tend to like well rounded people who can use many forms of humour, and not always rely on sarcasm...as it doesnt always work.

I prefer people who can guage thier audience correctly and go with the flow so as not to offend. If they feel sarcasm would be OK in a moment in time, and it is...I can enjoy it. If someone is clueless and keeps being sarcastic even though the people within earshot dont like it, I am turned off. It tells me they are a tad self centered and not very sensitive to thier surroundings.
 chromelove08
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2012 2:00:30 PM
Guys have loved my sarcasm and sense of humor...I wouldn't date anyone who didn't have a sense of humor and couldn't keep up with me on the sarcasm. They have dated me longer than a couple months lol.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/11/2012 9:29:16 PM
I'd enjoy great companionship with a woman who understood that "sarcastic" does not mean the same thing as "b!tchy cynic"...

While I wouldn't quite describe my sense of humor as sarcastic---or even
b!tchy or cynical---it is somewhat irreverent. My partner enjoys my brand of humor, although I realize it's not for everyone. I've had other men tell me they thought that I was just flat out mean.
 tru2000
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 7:47:56 AM
My answer would be yes, yes and most definitely yes.... as we all know, laughter is good all the time, pluss the fact that it is very healthy for a relationship. I feel that it allows couples to express themselves more freely and most importantly for partners like me, it says that we are still capable of being active and spontaneous. So yes!! Give me love, laughter and life
 chromelove08
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 11:22:18 AM
I am pretty sarcastic and every guy I have dated, loves it. We can have more fun with it than just being dull and no sense of humor.
 A_Gent
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/15/2012 7:48:56 PM
Sarcasm at its best is a form of ironic humour.

For most people it is a form of passive aggressive communication.. a way of saying things without being held accountable... just saying.

For many people, however, it is a form of covert hostility... essentially a way to hide an insult in what is pretended to be funny. And if you weren't such a dork, you would recognize it. Just kidding!

And to answer the question, I would have difficulty dating someone who could not say what she means respectfully, and means what she says.
 bronzcoco
Msg: 48
Posted: 3/15/2012 9:24:33 PM
I've been told by men that my sometimes sarcastic comments are interesting and exciting. My sarcasm can make people laugh and it can make them seriously consider what it is that I am saying. But, sarcasm is not for everyone. To each his/her own.
 Goldentyga117
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/16/2012 2:06:59 AM
Why do people have this assumption that being sarcastic = being mean ? you can be sarcastic and not be mean you know.

My problem with dating women who "claim" to be sarcastic is that they fail to know the difference between a smartass sarcastic comment and something that just makes them come across as a b!tch. The people that say they can't take sarcasm are people that i think have no sense of humour. Being sarcastic 24/7 isn't a good thing because then people can't tell whether you're serious or not....but every so often it can be pretty funny.
 happyfun27
Msg: 50
Posted: 9/10/2013 3:34:11 PM
I've dated sarcastic wonen in the past and it was fun.

However I recently this georgeous woman for a month that was overly sarcastic. When I dated her the first couple of times, she just seemed regularly sarcastic, but a couple of red flags came up when she talked in a mean spirit about her coworkers or subordinates. I should have paid attention to those red flags but because she was very pretty and the conversation flowed between us I was starting to fall for her. However it seemed that I was more into her then she into me and she asked to slow things down. That kind of opened my eyes a little and made me realize her overly sarcastic faults. The final straw came when we went with her roommate and roommate's boyfriend out to dinner. The girl I was dating turned into an EXTREMELY overly sarcastic and irritating person. Being a gent I tried to play alone because I still liked her. It was a lot of work playing something I was not since I can deal with a mild sarcasm but worked my ass off taunting everybody in that dinner and they did the same. It was pure bullying!

Anyways, at the end of the dinner, she asked me how it went and she thought it went well. I told her that it was ok but maybe a little too much sarcasm might not be healthy. I tried to explain that some people night feel uncomfortable by it and maybe insulting. She started defending it, putting her tone of voice higher and almost shouting. I tried also giving examples on extreme over sarcasm could be viewed as borderline racist. She still defended it with a higher time of voice (sounding like a guy) and said nobody cares. At that point I thank for the company and left. I couldn't out up with somebody who hid her racist views through sarcasm. She was using racist sarcasm to show her close minded mess. Then all the red flags made sense. She was from a small town with only 1 minority and all her pictures were of white people except for one person. That should have meant nothing, but given her sarcastic (deep voice sounding like a guy every time she used her sarcasm) traits, I should have noticed she used her sarcasm in an extremely mean bully way and even as far as racist way. It was too bad she was pretty. Well, until she became sarcastic cause her time if voice sounded like a guy and her face turned into a ****! (Seriously!) it was scary...
 John255317
Msg: 51
Posted: 9/10/2013 4:07:08 PM
I am fun and I am also a smart ass. Huge difference between being sarcastic and being fun and a smart ass. I think people have different definitions on these words. I would put it this way, sarcastic to me is "cutting" someone, making fun of them but telling them it is just a joke and you didn't mean it. I can tell if someone is having fun with me and I can tell when a person is being "sarcastic". I love people that have a personality, and to me, a personality includes humor, without that then "dull" comes to mind.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 52
Posted: 9/10/2013 4:51:35 PM
(Goldentyga117) Why do people have this assumption that being sarcastic = being mean ?

Because, those two traits often line up in the same person. And, far too many people think that "being sarcastic" is the same thing as being being mean, belittling, and cutting.

you can be sarcastic and not be mean you know.

Yes, we know; unfortunately, the division of the two is rather less common than you'd think...
 Visionaryone
Msg: 53
Posted: 9/10/2013 5:32:30 PM
I require a sarcastic and witty man! My friends and I all bust on each other and we have a hoot laughing which keeps us youthful. We also don't take ourselves too seriously so it's common for us to tell funny stories about ourselves. I cannot be around overly sensitive people, especially men-BIG turn off for me because there is no malice in my heart, everything is done in fun. Certain people cannot handle my sarcasm and usually they are people that do not know me very well and that although I will bust on you, I will turn around and let you live with me rent free for as long as you need to...
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 54
Posted: 9/11/2013 3:48:59 AM

Msg: 55: Sarcasm at its best is a form of ironic humour.

For most people it is a form of passive aggressive communication.. a way of saying things without being held accountable... just saying.

For many people, however, it is a form of covert hostility... essentially a way to hide an insult in what is pretended to be funny. And if you weren't such a dork, you would recognize it. Just kidding!

And to answer the question, I would have difficulty dating someone who could not say what she means respectfully, and means what she says.

Quoted for truth. Hostility and aggression I can do without. But the ironic humour can be a sticking point as well. I don’t find most people funny enough to pull off ironic humour on a regular basis. We’re not all great comedians and I tire of someone trying to make me laugh when I’d rather just have a conversation. If I wanted funny I'd sit quietly with my eyes closed.
 jan1025
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2013 4:15:11 AM
The problem with people who use sarcastic remarks as a form of joking around, usually are not capable of laughing at any other form of humor (ex: slapstick, dry, etc...). They will usually stand there with their thumb in their mouths... with the look of, "I don't think that is funny", which is really alarming to me.

In a different way, neither are these people capable of finding humor in all the different types of situations that may arise, which can also be very funny. With them, it's either sarcasm or nothing.

Sad, but true with most sarcastic jokers.
Jan
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >