Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Theme_Pack
Msg: 56
Would you date a sarcastic woman? Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
^^^^^^You're joking right!!!!!
 pfif
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Would you date a sarcastic woman?
Posted: 9/11/2013 6:50:50 AM
If a person chose sarcasm as a dominant mode of expression, I'd pass
on that. I have to live with it, already, in family (from a male, btw).

It's deeply unpleasant.
 nubeginnings64
Msg: 58
Posted: 9/11/2013 7:13:07 AM
Sarcasm to a point is ok. It's really lame if it's a constant though & can feel like criticism. I've dated women who seemed to have no filter. It does grow old & can come off as mean spirited. More lame are those who crack only themselves up.
 Visionaryone
Msg: 59
Posted: 9/11/2013 7:28:37 AM
^^^This is a good observation Sunny. I think it is important for both people, the sarcastic person, and the one on the receiving end to be able to discern the person and know if it is mean spirited or not. The same way some sarcastic people can come off being insensitive, some people can be overly sensitive as well so that is why it really is a case by case basis based on the person (s), and how well you know each other. When I first meet a person it is important for them to see my heart first and build a rapport with them. Eventually my sarcasm/wit (and yes I understand there is a difference between the two and I can be both) comes out and because they know me, they are able to laugh.

I also think that if a person is sarcastic or busts it up alot, that they need to also know how to be direct too when the situation calls for it. Everyone that knows me knows I will bust it up, but I also am very open and direct when it comes to handling issues and know how to turn the sarcasm button off for the occasion. That can be a key element that is missing if people are offended by someone's sarcasm more often than not. Just like with anything else, the key to life should be balance. Just my thoughts.....
 John255317
Msg: 60
Posted: 9/11/2013 3:01:54 PM
Visionaryone, great post! The only thing I think I disagree with you is the definition of "sarcasm" but you get it as far as your type of humor and that is what matters the most. And to me, you do your humor the way I think it should be. I always tell people there is a difference between sarcasm and being humorous and fun. To me you are not sarcastic at all, but that is my opinion on what the word means.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 61
Posted: 9/11/2013 4:46:24 PM
Oh, yes, I'd *LOVE* to date a sarcastic woman!

Posted: 9/12/2013 3:45:28 AM
Sarcasm can be a lazy uncreative humor style. Making a sarcastic remark now and then is one thing...but if sarcasm or being sarcastic describes you, that's a different thing - it gets old and stupid and obnoxious real quick.
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 63
Posted: 9/12/2013 8:20:55 AM
Sarcasm is like salt. I light touch brings variety and flavor to a dish; too much and it's unedible.
 LoneScottishBoy
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2013 8:47:22 AM
^^^^ +1!

My feelings exactly. I like a good sarcastic, witty comment when the time is right. Other times I like funny.
Mostly, I prefer funny...but there is nothing like a smart gal with a funny wit and a great sense of timing.
 fedexmale
Msg: 65
Posted: 9/12/2013 2:17:41 PM
Many beautiful women are sarcastic.... so unless you want to marry the ugly girl down the lane, you'd better get used to it :p

Do you know what's good about marring an ugly woman? - if she ever leaves you, who cares?! Do you smell the coffee date?! A little sarcasm never killed anybody.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2013 2:26:29 PM
Sweetheart: What did I do to deserve you?
Me: You must have asked for me. The universe always gives us what we asked for.
Sweetheart: Yeah, right, I asked for a sarcastic German woman!

Now, I wonder who the sarcastic one was in this scenario.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 67
Posted: 9/13/2013 5:37:13 PM
M-church: I truly love it when someone can nail me with a clever and witty comment... to me, it speaks volumes about quick wit and fast thinking....

--------
I enjoy clever and witty comments that demonstrate a sharp mind. That's why my favorite type of humor is the double entendre, followed by a GOOD pun or well-timed movie one-liner (blazing saddles, holy grail, fish called wanda, young frankenstein are useful for any occaision). Sarcasm, not so much.
 jlynn1955
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2013 8:16:08 PM
I can be tremendously sarcastic and not in a good way. It runs in my family. Seriously. my sibs and I are all very sarcastic. I tend to be even more that way with people I really care about. Go figure. My sarcasm was very hard on my (then) husband. I quite often hurt his feelings no matter how I tried to tone it down. It's a thin line.
Posted: 9/14/2013 2:24:08 AM
I like a simple classic - That's what she said last night. Or that's what I told her last night. Catching the right moments in a conversation to throw this in, and how to execute it, takes skill.

"catching the right moments to throw this in, and how to execute it, takes skill" That's what I told her last night.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 70
Posted: 9/14/2013 1:05:18 PM

(CynthiaSM) I enjoy clever and witty comments that demonstrate a sharp mind. That's why my favorite type of humor is the double entendre, followed by a GOOD pun or well-timed movie one-liner (blazing saddles, holy grail, fish called wanda, young frankenstein are useful for any occaision). Sarcasm, not so much.

I agree with everything you say. Coupled with the fact that almost all sarcastic people I've ever encountered just don't know when enough is too much. It's like they think that, if ONE sarcastic comment is funny, TEN sarcastic comments in the space of ten minutes will be abso-frikkin-lutely *HILARIOUS*...
 Theme_Pack
Msg: 71
Posted: 9/15/2013 4:06:02 AM
^^^^^^^^They won't let me post that often.....
 Just_Bopping_Around
Msg: 72
Posted: 9/26/2013 2:38:03 AM
I like a person with a quick wit and enjoy a smart-ass and good natured ribbing.

I do *not* enjoy sarcasm. Sarcasm is negative.
From the dictionary - Sarcasm: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain.

To cut or give pain. Who in their right mind would want to hang around a person who does that? Not me.

I do understand that some people use the word sarcastic interchangably with smartass or as VisionaryOne said 'busting on' friends. Giving friends or loved ones a hard time, but in a good natured way that everyone is having fun and no one's feelings are getting hurt is one of the great joys of life. Being negative is not.
 Theme_Pack
Msg: 73
Posted: 9/26/2013 3:17:47 AM
You mean stuff like, if you were any smarter you'd be stupid!!!!!! I always find it redonkcoulous when people quote from the Dictionary....
 Just_Bopping_Around
Msg: 74
Posted: 9/26/2013 5:12:46 AM
That's your right. I find it silly when people use words incorrectly.
 Theme_Pack
Msg: 75
Posted: 9/26/2013 8:10:17 AM
You means like "whoreable"
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 76
Posted: 9/26/2013 8:53:11 AM
There are different styles, and there are different intents.

Those people who are sarcastic so they can show a person how much of an idiot they think they are while laughing at their own humor?

heck no.

But I can be what could be construed as sarcastic, but in my case it is not with the intent to belittle or cut a person down; it is with someone I am comfortable with; it shows I am teasing WITH them, and i love it when they yank my chain back. Where you can "fling it" back and forth in a light, NICE witty way where there is no insults, there is no disrespect and where both people are showing they are comfortable enough with each other that they "get" each other.

The people who take everything literally, get all huffy and assume offense when what was said was not remotely mean, nor even a little insulting (most of my sarcasm is self deprecating anyways, not usually directed at someone else)

I find that I do better with people who have my style of "sarcasm" I call it teasing, but not the in your face aggressive teasing some arrogant people do to make people feel small. I do it to make people get that I feel comfortable enough to let down my hair and be my real somewhat quirky irreverent self.
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2013 7:08:27 PM
I didn't think sarcasm was defined the way it is in dictionaries. I always thought sarcasm could be used to hurt people or to bond with people through humor. I like sarcasm with people who have my best interest at heart and who don't use it as a tool to hurt me. I've connected with many great people that way. It's really not sarcasm in and of itself that's a problem but how and why you use it.

If sarcasm puts a smile on my face and connects me with someone, inspires me (which I am used to) then I'd like that in my life in moderation. If sarcasm is used passive aggressively and with ill intent, I'd remove the person from my life not sarcasm all together.
 sandytm
Msg: 78
Posted: 9/30/2013 10:24:40 AM
A negative quality is what makes a comment sarcastic.
 gtomustang
Msg: 79
Posted: 9/30/2013 10:48:58 AM
if the ONLY thing she offers is sarcasm...then its as attractive as a woman who offers only one thing, whether that one thing is intelligence or sweetness or whatever.

Intelligence is great, but not at the expense of humor or creativity or wit or compassion. Sweetness is nice, but when that's all a person is, they fall into that, "he's really nice, but..."catagory. In other words, it helps to be multifaceted.

in beautiful women, sarcasm can typically be the wall they put up to keep the creeps away....and ironically, it also scares away the men worth having. which means the creeps stay, and thus the need to apply the wall even harder, like a perpetual motion machine.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 80
Posted: 10/1/2013 9:00:52 AM

Would you enjoy a great companionship by a sarcastic woman? Why or why not? Do you consider it lame or attractive?

That's SUCH a broad question. If she's sarcastic about everything and laid on too thick -- yeah, that's going to be a turn off to a lot of guys. And how she does it can be a turn off, too. If it's her ways of passive-aggressive behavior, that's not good.

It's like asking "Would you enjoy a woman who jokes a lot?" -- too broad. Sure, that can be bad. It can be good. If she's told by others she turns guys off by it -- chances are, she's in the bad zone.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >