Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gtomustang
Msg: 79
Would you date a sarcastic woman? Page 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
if the ONLY thing she offers is sarcasm...then its as attractive as a woman who offers only one thing, whether that one thing is intelligence or sweetness or whatever.

Intelligence is great, but not at the expense of humor or creativity or wit or compassion. Sweetness is nice, but when that's all a person is, they fall into that, "he's really nice, but..."catagory. In other words, it helps to be multifaceted.

in beautiful women, sarcasm can typically be the wall they put up to keep the creeps away....and ironically, it also scares away the men worth having. which means the creeps stay, and thus the need to apply the wall even harder, like a perpetual motion machine.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 80
Would you date a sarcastic woman?
Posted: 10/1/2013 9:00:52 AM

Would you enjoy a great companionship by a sarcastic woman? Why or why not? Do you consider it lame or attractive?

That's SUCH a broad question. If she's sarcastic about everything and laid on too thick -- yeah, that's going to be a turn off to a lot of guys. And how she does it can be a turn off, too. If it's her ways of passive-aggressive behavior, that's not good.

It's like asking "Would you enjoy a woman who jokes a lot?" -- too broad. Sure, that can be bad. It can be good. If she's told by others she turns guys off by it -- chances are, she's in the bad zone.
 DoubleParked
Msg: 81
Posted: 10/1/2013 9:22:11 AM
Just Bopping Around wrote, "That's your right. I find it silly when people use words incorrectly."

Theme Pack replies:
You means like "whoreable"

Now THAT'S funny. Thanks guys! ;-)
 DoubleParked
Msg: 82
Posted: 10/1/2013 7:16:03 PM
No, I was not being sarcastic.
 Thisguy52
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2013 6:44:16 AM
No because sarcasm is anger and depressive thoughts directed inward. It's a sign of not being happy, like little digs that come out instead of positive expressions. Stopping it means the person needs to face whatever issues he or she has and realize that sarcasm offends. A sarcastic joke here and there directed towards or at someone is an indication of insecurity also. I was married to a sarcastic woman many years ago and learned these things. Sarcasm isn't funny and it's usually degrading and mean. The person being sarcastic does get satisfaction from it if you let them continue without correcting them. Other behaviors, controlling behaviors and bullying usually manifest also.
 nyceguy85
Msg: 84
Posted: 10/15/2013 7:43:03 AM
I sure would. Sarcastic women typically have a lackluster sex life and will sleep with any guy who can take their sarcasm.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 89
Posted: 10/16/2013 4:49:32 PM

(amycmcc1) I thought it was saying the opposite of what you mean, like "I'm okay. Don't mind the sword protruding from my back. I'm fine. Feel like a million bucks."

No, saying the opposite of what you mean is, saying the opposite of what you mean. But, you're right in that sarcasm can be defined differently, by different people. I think, though, that generally it's understood that sarcasm entails a lot of cynicism, and negative commentary. Constant exposure to that can get really old really fast.
Posted: 10/16/2013 6:33:39 PM
^ Sarcasm and satire are two quite different things...

...yes, I'm seeing in this thread that more people than I thought are kind of in the dark as to what they think "being sarcastic" is about. For some dumbassed reason, apparently a lot of people think that the word "sarcastic" simply means being funny, like it refers to all things funny, or smart-assed. That's not the case. A few different types of humor styles or literary humor devices are as follows (and these are just as pulled out of my arse, even this list may not be technically correctly representational) -

- Exaggeration/Hyperbole
- Incongruity
- Slapstick
- Parody
- Satire
- Sarcasm (classified as an "aggressive humor" (demeaning), along with the prejudices of as sexism and racism, and is related to higher levels of neuroticism and lower levels of conscientiousness.)
- Pun
- Irony
- Dry/Deadpan
- High brow/Witty
- Self-deprecation
- Farce
- Affiliative
- Self-enhancing

So, exactly what do people think that they mean, and what do they really mean, when they cheerfully describe themselves as being sarcastic?
 actualizing
Msg: 91
Posted: 10/20/2013 2:46:25 PM
I cannot handle sarcasm in any way, shape or form.
 John255317
Msg: 92
Posted: 10/20/2013 3:18:24 PM
Agreed, too many people have no idea what sarcasm really means. No way is it "funny"
 geneb321
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2013 6:39:30 AM
where do you live
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 95
Posted: 10/22/2013 8:06:38 AM
what are you wearing
 jasonsgt
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2013 9:48:25 AM
Nope, had enough of that to last a lifetime! It wasn't funny and reeked of insecurity...no witty banter here. If you have the balls to cut someone down with a smile on your face, why not cut the passive aggressive BS and tell them straight up how you really feel? It's cowardice, to say the least. ...but I'll put a smile on my face as I show you the door. Though, I experienced sarcasm intended to hurt. I think using it to describe irony would be tolerable, as long as she doesn't over do it...but I wouldn't stick around to find out if initially, she let me know she was a sarcastic person.
 Theme_Pack
Msg: 97
Posted: 10/31/2013 5:11:39 AM
I don't do well with boring!
There are many intelligent Sarcastic women and some not so much. I get along well with both. I use it as a form of flirting and it works for me....Some people don't like it because they can't do it very well....and look at it like some form of elicit criticism when directed at them(boohoo). There is a time and place for everything.
And who the heck keeps reporting my profile pic ...Geesh!
 CaptainTeebs
Msg: 98
Posted: 11/1/2013 6:50:38 AM
what are you wearing

Now that is funny; is it sarcasm?
 talldarklove
Msg: 99
Posted: 11/1/2013 8:02:51 AM
At my age no, as a teen I may have had more patients for such games. Sarcasm is not really a big deal, and for the most part is harmless I feel there just isn't a need for it. If so the use of sarcasm should be limited, being known as a sarcastic person may lead to people not taking that person seriously.

-Kevin.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 100
Posted: 11/1/2013 1:09:34 PM
I thought it was saying the opposite of what you mean, like "I'm okay. Don't mind the sword protruding from my back. I'm fine. Feel like a million bucks." I think I have the wrong idea. Eek, lol.

It commonly refers to meaning the opposite of what you said... I would say that is sarcastic. But it's not necessarily the Opposite of what you say. It's negative-aimed humor. Usually to bash, but not necessarily so much. But if a guy or gal is consumed with sarcasm, they've got some emotional problems.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2013 8:22:11 AM

I thought it was saying the opposite of what you mean, like "I'm okay. Don't mind the sword protruding from my back. I'm fine. Feel like a million bucks." I think I have the wrong idea. Eek, lol.
It commonly refers to meaning the opposite of what you said... I would say that is sarcastic. But it's not necessarily the Opposite of what you say. It's negative-aimed humor. Usually to bash, but not necessarily so much. But if a guy or gal is consumed with sarcasm, they've got some emotional problems.

Did this v post of mine just go over everyone's heads?

...yes, I'm seeing in this thread that more people than I thought are kind of in the dark as to what they think "being sarcastic" is about. For some dumbassed reason, apparently a lot of people think that the word "sarcastic" simply means being funny, like it refers to all things funny, or smart-assed. That's not the case. A few different types of humor styles or literary humor devices are as follows (and these are just as pulled out of my arse, even this list may not be technically correctly representational) -

- Exaggeration/Hyperbole
- Incongruity
- Slapstick
- Parody
- Satire
- Sarcasm (classified as an "aggressive humor" (demeaning), along with the prejudices of as sexism and racism, and is related to higher levels of neuroticism and lower levels of conscientiousness.)
- Pun
- Irony
- Dry/Deadpan
- High brow/Witty
- Self-deprecation
- Farce
- Affiliative
- Self-enhancing

So, exactly what do people think that they mean, and what do they really mean, when they cheerfully describe themselves as being sarcastic?

The first quote in this post might be irony, and dry/deadpan...but that's not what sarcasm is.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 102
Posted: 11/9/2013 10:59:00 AM

Did this v post of mine just go over everyone's heads?

No, it didn't... but I also looked it up, so just because I go by what I look up doesn't mean what you wrote went over my head. :)

The first quote in this post might be irony, and dry/deadpan...but that's not what sarcasm is.

Sarcasm is kind of broad. It commonly means "the opposite" (but not required), but basically, much like you pointed out, negative humor (if you can call that 'aggressive'). It can be self-inflicted. It doesn't require sexism or racism exactly (but common).

So the quote "I'm okay. Don't mind the sword protruding from my back. I'm fine. Feel like a million bucks." -- she's being sarcastic. It's actually saying "Yeah, you hurt me, you back stabbing idiot". Just because it doesn't incorporate sexism or racism doesn't free it from being sarcastic.
 DoubleParked
Msg: 105
Posted: 11/13/2013 5:19:40 PM
I haven't dated women, so don't know about any perceived difference there would be from dating sarcastic men. Some posters here are quite sarcastic and/or sharply analytical and I doubt if I would be able to hold my own with them in ordinary conversation--- Unable to keep up with their intelligent discourse, no doubt my head, as so many lost their heads in days gone by, when those opposing them spoke up against the bullies, would be staring up at them in the basket below the guillotine, blinking blankly. Huh??

Quick wittedness, on the other hand< that's a good thing!
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2013 8:03:28 PM
It might have went over your head a bit. I showed how sarcasm is related to, and includes, racism and sexism, not that it's defined by it. And, "oppositeness" is not a part of sarcasm. That's what the word 'ironic' is for. The quote in question might be a dry irony, or an ironic deadpan statement. But it's not an example of sarcasm.

This is why understanding thoughtful use of words is important - some people in this thread are unknowingly talking about one thing but thinking that they're talking about something else...everyone using the same word, "sarcasm", but talking about very different things without knowing it...so when they express their opinions about it and whether or not they'd date someone who is this or that, the opinions and debating doesn't make sense, but they don't realize it. Incorrect understanding of words, and incorrect use of those words, causes misperceptions in other areas without the person being aware of it.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 107
Posted: 11/14/2013 9:12:48 PM
Straight from Google's dictionary of ironic:

using or characterized by irony.
"his mouth curved into an ironic smile"
synonyms: sarcastic, sardonic, cynical, mocking, satirical, caustic, wry More

Words have multiple meanings. And it doesn't require opposite Meaning for irony, but also opposite of what you expect, which is funny.

Straight from Google's dictionary of sarcastic:

marked by or given to using irony in order to mock or convey contempt.
"sarcastic comments on their failures"
synonyms: sardonic, ironic, ironical;

merriam-webster.com of sarcasm:

the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say especially in order to insult someone, to show irritation, or to be funny

Definitions from credible sources vary. But in essence, sarcasm often includes the opposite to razz someone or something. "Yeah, she's a REAL looker alright..." (looking at 300lb obese lady in overalls).

Again, words have varying definitions.

Sarcasm can be light-hearted and non-harmful, but just razzing instead of actually being mean. But yeah, it's usually negative-oriented from some perspective at least (or better put, not a Positive-oriented thing). People who are "haters" love sarcasm, with their rapist wit! lol
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 108
Posted: 11/14/2013 9:20:34 PM
^^^^YES!!!!! I knew I wasn't a mean person! Sarcastic can be light-hearted and non-harmful......I knew it!!! Ahhh, now I can sleep peacefully tonight :)
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2013 3:21:39 AM
confident realist...well, that sucks, that you can find that in a search. Because that's not what they are.

The thread question isn't asking if you'd date a woman who's funny, or has a sense of humor. And the fact that it's asked implies some element that's potentially obnoxious or put-offish to some. I figure that should at least be an indicator.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 110
Posted: 11/15/2013 5:34:56 AM
What's funny is when the dictionary writers write an ambiguous definition. Which is what Merriam-Webster did in their SHORT definition of sarcasm. It is clarified in the FULL definition.

This is the short definition:

the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say especially in order to insult someone, to show irritation, or to be funny

versus

Full Definition of SARCASM
1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual
b : the use or language of sarcasm

When used as a Boolean operator, the word "or" makes the clauses independent so we could read the definition as CR explained it in his post. But the full definition does not support that reading. The full definition's 3 sub-definitions (there's probably a word for that but I don't know it. We probably need igor for that one ;-) contain meanness as a element of the meaning. In other words, going by the full definition, using opposite wording merely to be funny (without an element of intended pain, bitterness, irritation) is not sufficient to be sarcasm.

Then how are we supposed to interpret the short definition's, supposedly, independent clause "or to be funny"?
It is not meant to imply that anything funny is sarcasm. It is meant to imply that using words in their opposite meaning to cut, give pain, or be bitter/caustic/ironic against another person can be funny. An apparently is - to some people.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >