Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 114
Would you date a sarcastic woman? Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Cynthia: I'm not a mean person :) This is just one of those terms (sarcastic) that people attach different meanings to.
Interestingly enough, I've been described as having a sarcastic, dry, ironic, etc....sense of humor. And these people are some of my closest friends.....I doubt they'd be my friend if I was mean. And I slept like a baby last night :)
 CallmeKen
Msg: 115
Would you date a sarcastic woman?
Posted: 11/15/2013 7:53:32 AM

Would you enjoy a great companionship by a sarcastic woman?

It depends on the timing. If we're in an established relationship, and you want to kick me in the butt or get me back on my To Do list, a little sarcasm is appreciated.

If you are on the coffee date, and think that my buying you a mocha latte entitles you to rip me a new one, well, I have 99 problems, but a b-tch ain't one. Save the drama for Obama. Care.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 116
Posted: 11/15/2013 9:21:45 AM

What's funny is when the dictionary writers write an ambiguous definition.

But some words are ambiguous, or give multiple vague definitions, etc. I think what is taken in common with them all is that it's often negative, often ironic, and/or often dealing with the opposite of the words they're actually saying (tone).

"YAH... he Always gets out of these situations unscathed... (rolling eyes)!" (Your team's pitcher has the bases loaded, with nobody out and has a 5.50 ERA)

"Nooo, you're the sweetest gal in the whole world who never looks incredibly fat in those jeans... (rolling eyes)"

The latter is being a mean person.... the former is just an attempt to inject a bit of humorous tone with some frustration that anyone (fan) would have.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2013 5:29:12 PM
...and so, my original point should be taken as this - satire, or irony, or dryness might be an element of sarcasm. But that isn't what defines sarcasm. A car has a bumper, or a motor...but that's not what a car is. To make a sarcastic remark, you have to use words - words are included, but you wouldn't define sarcasm by saying "it's when you use words." That would be kind of dumb.

But anywho...yes, my personal opinion is that sarcasm isn't automatically bad or obnoxious. It can be a fun playful teasing between people. But then, this is often the result of having developed a rapport with someone - sometimes the first time you interact with someone, playful sarcasm can be natural and taken well right from the beginning...but, when someone assumes this rapport with a stranger, as if they "know them like that", they run the risk of rubbing them a bad way; and, when someone is describable as being sarcastic, as opposed to just occasionally entertaining a sarcastic playfulness, that implies that they are that way too often and with people that they don't have this rapport with, being presumptuous, and it implies that they aren't very creative or capable in their humor-style, which can make them boring pretty quickly. These are the implications that I think at least possibly resides in asking "would you date a sarcastic woman?" If you mean any other thing when bothering to ask a question like that, then it wouldn't make sense to bother to ask the question.
 elmuchoburrito
Msg: 118
Posted: 12/1/2013 6:39:40 PM
biting dry wit with a thin veil of civility ? ooooh be calm my beating heart.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 119
Posted: 12/2/2013 9:20:39 AM
No, definitely not. I wouldn't date a woman. Sarcastic or otherwise. I have never been told I was sarcastic, although on many occasions, I have been called, a "smartass", LOL imagine that!
 aanarchist
Msg: 120
Posted: 12/9/2013 7:30:13 AM
As long as she doesn't act like a f*cking man. Idk whats up with those self proclaimed independent women who claim to speak their mind, may as well speak your mind and just say you're rude and have a big mouth. Ladies that are ladylike are dwindling in numbers :(
I also get that gentlemen are also dwindling before anyone decides to take offense and retort in a snarky manner.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 121
Posted: 12/9/2013 8:55:30 AM

No, definitely not. I wouldn't date a woman. Sarcastic or otherwise. I have never been told I was sarcastic, although on many occasions, I have been called, a "smartass", LOL imagine that!

LOL! Yeah, I second this. But my being called a smartass is never meant to insult or belittle; it's a sign I'm comfortable and trust that the other person is going to know that I'm teasing.

(the only people who have called me sarcastic are onlookers people who are extremely literal and uber hyper sensitive to any kind of anything; where they watch me and someone I've known for ages fling it back and forth while enjoying it thoroughly; only to have the onlooker not get it and be horrified.

It's the third party armchair quarterbacks who don't get that kind of interaction; but I"m not going to change an ongoing relationship with someone that both of us uber appreciate for someone small minded who does not get the volleys are fun, challenging and a blast for both of us to do. I would get disowned by the other party if I all of a sudden talked formal, stilted and totally deadpan literal all the time. They wouldn't know what to do with me.
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 122
Posted: 12/9/2013 9:32:02 PM
[snuffle snore…] wait… wha what’d they say?

They wouldn't know what to do with me.

oh ok sorry, guess I heard that out of context… thought I was delerious for a coupla secs there…

[dodders off back to the armchair]
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >