Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jo van
Msg: 6
view profile
History
You don't have to believe in God to cherish the ChurchPage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I have nothing against people "being good", in fact I encourage such aspirations.

The 'established church' however, is simply the institutionalised perpetuation of neolithic superstition, for their own selfish interests.

The reason they object to reason, and rational thought, and call it "militant atheism", is because it threatens their cushy, well-paid, and brilliantly pensioned jobs.

Priests have the easiest job in the world; selling a non-existent product, to the gullible and 'needy', and telling them that it "won't work, if you question it". And then, when it doesn't actually work, (it never does) telling people that was because they "didn't have enough faith".

The official assets of the C of E run to approximately £6 Billion, most of that is used for the pensions of the clergy. There are about another £300 Billion, in carefully hidden assets.

Their ranks are made up of social inadequates, the bullied-at-school, freaks, the disturbed, and child-molesters.
Getting up at 4 am. "to pray", doesn't prove you're a g'ood person', nor does wearing a fancy dress, and the pomp and circumstance, that this sham surrounds itself with.

Religions should be subject to the same scrutiny, that other "products" are subjected to. like the "Trades descriptions Act"
If you can't prove it, you shouldn't be allowed to publish nonsensical claims and myths, as "facts".

The reason they're up in arms, is because common sense is prevailing, and their numbers are falling.

If "god" existed, I wouldn't need 'magic books', spouting primitive, misogynist, patriarchal, tribal drivel, nor 'magic buildings' that cost billions, nor men in dresses, to tell me of "his" (always male) existence, it would be fcuking SELF-EVIDENT.

The sooner we stop giving credence to the ramblings of these poor deluded people, the better off we'll all be.

Any thoughts?

Meh.... I'm not bothered.....

Jo van
Msg: 16
view profile
History
You don't have to believe in God to cherish the Church
Posted: 2/22/2012 2:43:18 PM

I have to agree. While im not a religious person I think our Christians roots and values should be upheld. If you don't agree...like myself....in any religion....so what, would you rather you heritage and Christian roots (wether you like it or not)
Be replaced with another?

Oh dear....
Before you even attempt to promulgate the oft-repeated myth, that the "left-wing are responsible for the rise of Islam", I'd like to point out the fact that the greatest champions for the building of mosques, are the upper echelons of the established church, the Archbishop of Canterbury etc, and the heir to the throne, PC himself, who has vowed to change the title to "defender of faith", to accommodate other similar fairy stories.

None of these people, at the very pinnacles of our society, could be considered to be remotely 'left-wing' and certainly not 'anti-establishment'..

By the way, christianity is also an "imported religion", having it's origins in exactly the same place as the other two,(Islam & Judaism) and the cross of st George is a foreign symbol too.

*rem*
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2012 2:51:25 PM
Mankind is the son of God and spirituality is in our DNA. Until the church (ANY church) gives up its wealth, land and knowledge of the truth (the Vatican) I will subscribe to none of them. Theres a reason why history has a blank chapter between the pyramids and Napoleon. Government. Politics. Control. Church. Media all stand between who we are now and what we should be.
I'll face God on my own terms without any of the above
 *rem*
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2012 2:59:19 PM
This is a Christian country. If you don't like it feel free to leave....

Jesus wasnt a christian
 *rem*
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2012 3:16:54 PM

Well actually the queen of England is the biggest land owner (legal) she owns 1/5th of the planet

plus every person born in the UK and USA according to some but that still doesn't answer my question earlier, whats up scared to put voice to your 'Beliefs'

Groundhog day..
America is a republic not a democracy. A corporation owned by England.
 *rem*
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2012 3:25:12 PM

I made my point in a previous post and I guess it was over looked.

Because your novelty value has expired.
 *rem*
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2012 3:34:48 PM

Don't pull some history on me from 200 years ago because I couldn't CARE LESS.

There ya go mate.. fixed it for you.
 *rem*
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2012 4:06:40 PM
English is not a race. We are a nation for a start.

I'm sure you'll be relieved then that no matter how many immigrants come here the English will always continue to be..
A bunch of mongrels just like my Jamaican lineage whos national motto is Out of many One people.
 Strider886
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2012 4:10:33 PM
The atheist has no excuse for whatever they do, but religion has been used as an excuse for untold evil for hundreds of years.

What's worst?

"I'm an evil **stard, I admit it"

or

"I'm not an evil **stard, my god told me to do it"
 *rem*
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2012 4:19:06 PM

No I still think this is a crock of shit. We might not be a race but we certainly are English. This can not be given to just anyone wielding a purple passport.

Yes WE are. Maggie Thatcher made sure of it by charging my parents a few quid so that people like you have no argument
 *rem*
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2012 4:32:41 PM

Absolutely not,my grandfather is from south Africa.

Really??
 Trianon123
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2012 12:21:42 AM
@bulldog ben
Christianity was forced on us, it isnt tradition - tradition was what they were against when they burned the sacred groves and built churches in their place - all over Europe, not just here in England - it was systematic rape of our old ways of life, they renamed all our traditional feasts with Christian themed ones and loads more stuff like that - that you believe Christianity is tradition is simply because they kept the reigns of the education system for so long - look up 'the hundredth monkey effect'

Do you really think that belief by tradition is a good reason for allowing this crock of rubbish to poison the minds of our children?

Have a read of this letter from Dawkins to his 10 yr old daughter - he explains it all really well. We cant do links here so Ill just do something you can copy n paste into the address bar...

Richard Dawkins letter to his 10 year old daughter (how to warn your child about this irrational world)
 Trianon123
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2012 12:53:56 AM
Thats exactly what I mean Dwight - Christmas was yule, saturnalia or the winter solstice - Easter was Eoster, a fertility goddess or Ashtar, even earlier babylonian origins etc..

Look up pre-christrian cultures for yourself, dont believe all you are told by believers, they have a vested interest in convincing you....
 Trianon123
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2012 12:55:20 AM
@bull dog - it is no longer a christian country, I dealt with that one many years ago thanks........
 Jo van
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2012 1:47:08 PM
After a 157 pages, of arguing about religion, on a different forum, I've come to realise that all people who believe in religions aren't 'bad', or 'stupid' but believing in it, certainly doesn't mean you're 'good' either, as the recent scandalous behaviour of the church(es) has demonstrated.

There are about 4,000 different religions in the world, what you 'believe', will depend entirely, on where you were born. They all claim exclusivity of "truth", though, as religion dies, they are now 'closing ranks' and becoming more "tolerant" of each other. This new-found "respect", for "other truths" (oxymoron, anyone..?), will eventually lead to a 'last-stand' of all remaining religions, combined, into one "mega- hyper-super-church", which will be like some pantomime, on acid. But I digress....

I think that the majority of people are 'good', or at least strive to be, most of the time.
I believe that most people 'believe', because of our inherent fear of death. It's a comfort blanket, which people suspect to be a placebo, but they still take it, in the same way they don't walk under ladders, "just in case"....

Personally, as an atheist, I have a 'belief' of sorts, in the truth, We may not yet know it, but I believe the truth will always surface, just as it inevitably is doing, in the case of religions.

As we gain new information, from science, and investigation, we modify our views.
There are probably still 'pockets' of civilisations, of sorts, who believe the sun, stars and universe, revolve around the earth, but truth will find it's way to those people too.

Religions are dying, not because of the activities of some "militant atheists"/"militant secularists", but because we live in the "information age", and word spreads.

There may be much false information, to 'sift through', but there is still an inevitability of truth, because it's only when you have the truth, that everything fits together, that everything makes sense.
The origin of the universe, the origins of the planets, and us, can all be explained by science, physics, cosmology, geology, and the ever quickening new technologies, which facilitate new truths, every year.

There's no way to suppress truth, it will find it's way out, despite the best efforts of religions, to back-peddle, fewer and fewer people are believing in their versions, because it makes no sense.
It's just not the truth.
I'm sorry, but I think the truth's always best, in the long run.

DAFT_DOG
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2012 2:22:03 AM
I dont believe in god, but, i respect other people`s rights to believe :O)
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2012 4:22:14 AM
@ msg112

But regardless of what you think of the person, or even their reasons for believing, their right to believe has to be respected, just as you have the right to say what you just said :O)
 Wafta
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2012 4:24:10 AM
I believe people have a right to believe in whatever God or religion they choose, but I'd never date someone with those beliefs because it suggests they don't have a strong mind of their own.
 ControlledFolly
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2012 5:18:05 AM
I would turn the title of the OP around and say

You dont have to beleive in the Chruch to cherish God (or insert any name/label you like for a universal creationary force).

What people believe does not matter to me at all, as long as they have the awareness to ask those really big questions and are able to debate it without going into a fervour frenzy will do me. As said above its not about being evangelical, its about being openminded enough to see that all religions have commonalities and can join the dots.

I would prefer this than someone that is happy living as a sheep following the herd, with no self awareness or empowerment.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >