Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Looking for good psychic in Toronto area      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 22
Looking for good psychic in Toronto areaPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
If they're a good psychic, they should KNOW you're looking for them and conctact you, shouldn't they?
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 23
Looking for good psychic in Toronto area
Posted: 2/26/2012 11:51:31 PM
I predict you'll be using the Yellow pages.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/27/2012 6:25:54 AM

Being a Christian I had to reply , seeing into the future ,etc. is NOT a gift from God.

But it is! There is no difference between a "psychic" and a "prophet." A psychic predicts the future and so does a prophet. When I was still in the Christian religion, my preacher talked about this one day and said the difference between the two is that a prophet gets information from god and is always right (if they weren't right in the old days, they were stoned) and a psychic gets info from Satan and is wrong.

Hmm . . . I have heard as many "psychics" give correct information as "prophets" including modern day preachers such as the dead Oral Roberts.

So, the deciding factor is the informant giving the person the lowdown--"psychic" or "prophet" are pure semantics.

However, it is undeniable that psychics sometimes know things that should be impossible for them to know. Where do they get this information? The answer is from Satan and his demons.

This is the explanation I have heard the most for why psychics sometimes get it right, though I account it to one person's guess is as good as another's. In order for this to be true:

1. Satan and demons have to exist. They don't.
2. Supposing that they do exist, for them to know the future, they would have to be equal to god. According to Christian ideology, no way! Only god knows the future, right?

The most famous incidence of a seer in the Hebrew Scriptures is the Witch of Endor--"witch" is a misnomer here, and she should be called a medium. After Saul banished all mediums, etc., from the kingdom, he wanted to talk to the dead prophet Samuel. He contacted the "witch" and she raised the spirit of Samuel.

The same preacher (probably in the same sermon) said that the witch didn't REALLY summon the spirit of Samuel because god wouldn't allow it AND Samuel was actually in heaven: it was actually a demon pretending to be ol' Sam. HOWEVER, the scriptures simply do not support this. It says, "Then Saul knew it was Samuel" (1 Samuel 28:14). It does NOT say, "And Saul thought it was Samuel." Samuel tells Saul what will happen to him.

This makes the medium a prophet, eh? The information was correct.

This passage also shakes up ideas about the concept of heaven and hell and where souls go when the body dies, but that is another topic.

The reason why divination is a no-no in Judaism and Christianity is because believers are supposed to put their faith in god and let him make the decisions--one should not worry about the future but trust god to take care of them.

Does anyone understand what the word respect means? I would have to say few understand or implement it ,especially in the forums.

No one disrespected you anymore or any less than you disrespected them. They merely explained to you why your views are skewed—just as you showed them why their non-Christian views were skewed.

No offense but we call people with your thinking "New- Agers" and I avoid any New Age beliefs.

When I am in a “religious” state of mind, I am pagan, and paganism is not “New Age” but is the oldest form of religion on Earth. I will not list what we call people with your thinking because you would really cry “disrespect.” You have NO respect for the beliefs of others. Judaism and Christianity are both based on earlier pagan religions! All one has to do is study myth in order to know this.

You know know my opinion and my belief, enough said.

I know this was directed at Coma White, but being a former Christian, I DO know your opinions and beliefs—and I probably know the reasons for those beliefs even better than you do. However, you do not know my beliefs, though you think you do.

When the internet you can look up questions or open the bible for answers.

The Bible gives any answer a person wants—it is full of contradictions.
 lacalli
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/27/2012 6:29:27 AM
A perfectly good thread about psychics gets corrupted by nonsense. Just not a big surprise anymore.

I'm trying to keep it light because if it gets any ruder I'm going to start reporting people which is why I put the link to report people up.
This belongs on the religion forum anyway.
 slybandit
Msg: 26
Posted: 2/27/2012 8:12:25 AM
@Gwendolyn2010 -- and anyone else still reading this thread, really...

1. The difference between a "psychic" and a prophet is not "pure semantics"-- at least not in the way that you mean, if you'll permit (as you are not really talking about semantics and almost certainly know that). You mean that the difference-- in fact-- between a "psychic" and a "prophet", examined carefully, is so minor as to be meaningless. Yet that is not accurate. "Psychics" claim to predict the future, so do "prophets", but then so do actuaries and meteorologists. Virtually any two things can be described in terms that make them sound like nearly the same thing. That does not eliminate the distinction between them.

I'm not saying that "psychics" or "prophets" exist, but the concepts are distinct.

2. It's hard to say whether you "know" that "Satan" and "his demons" do not exist. This is not semantics, again, but metaphysics and epistemology. What do you mean by "Satan"? Supposing I was to insist that "Satan" is an anthropomorphized abstraction for all of the evil in the world, and s/he 'exists' in different forms and under different names in various cultures spanning most of human existence? Would he 'exist' then? If "Satan" lives in the callous indifference to human suffering in the mind of every crack dealer, arms manufacturer or ideological fanatic? I am not talking about "Satan" as the ridiculous cartoon with a pitchfork, or even the Satan of Dante or Milton.

3. A similar point to #2 can be made in respect of your argument that Judaism and Christianity are supposedly "based on" earlier pagan religions. It is all very well to argue that pre-Abraham followers of the Canaanite religion may well have been henotheistic, in that they acknowledged the existence of other "gods" but did not worship them.

That does not mean that Judaism is "based" on a form of 'paganism', it's something qualitatively different, you have to acknowledge that, whether you agree with its premises or not. Just as obviously, so are Christianity and Islam. The mere point that you see a resurrection story in various versions of the Ancient Egyptian Osiris deity does not mean that Christianity's resurrection narrative is "based" on that.

4. As for the request for "respect" between different faiths...give it a rest. Anyone with critical distance from this whole business has to acknowledge that part of the whole premise of these monotheistic faiths is radical intolerance of any other religious belief, and even a duty to seek converts and punish backsliders. Anyone with a passing knowledge of history is well aware that Europe went through easily a century of reasonably brutal wars before the idea of religious toleration got established, and it's been a bit of a hard sell keeping it ever since.

5. As for 'neo'-Paganism, a lot of it is pretty silly, frankly. Self-conscious adoption of what you assume or think might be elements of belief systems some of your ancestors abandoned millennia ago as false, simply because you feel a need to replace belief systems you abandoned as false a lot more recently? Really?

This is the intellectual equivalent of hair of the dog as a hangover remedy. If you need mystery and awe, study quantum mechanics, you do not need nonsense metaphysics at the intellectual level of a comic-book.
 manuka-a
Msg: 27
Posted: 2/27/2012 8:15:24 AM
Wow, I just asked for some information on psychics, and I have seen Christianity related replies, and arguments about the basis of psychic abilities from an evil source. Thank you to the few who did take my request seriously, and did not give me a lecture on Christianity. I know born again christians believe deeply in evil, and Satans power, and are against foretelling the future. As to your question as to why I am seeking a psychic, my reasons are simple enough, ENTERTAINMENT, and I do not set my future on what they say, but I can compare my current life to what they tell me.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/27/2012 12:47:57 PM

I'm not saying that "psychics" or "prophets" exist, but the concepts are distinct.

Since you offer no explanation, I stand by my statement.

Supposing I was to insist that "Satan" is an anthropomorphized abstraction for all of the evil in the world, and s/he 'exists' in different forms and under different names in various cultures spanning most of human existence?

Semantics, again. I suppose Santa Claus exists because people believe in him.

It is all very well to argue that pre-Abraham followers of the Canaanite religion may well have been henotheistic, in that they acknowledged the existence of other "gods" but did not worship them.

By examining the myths and beliefs of pagan faiths and both Christianity and Judaism, it is quite apparent that the latter grew out of the former. It doesn't matter if the Jews acknowledged or worshiped pagan deities: the myths of Judaism and Christianity are from pagan religions. This extends far beyond the dying/resurrecting deity. You can argue that if you wish, but the evidence stands. As Will and Ariel Durant write in The Story of Civilization, "Christianity was the last great creation of the ancient pagan world."

Anyone with a passing knowledge of history is well aware that Europe went through easily a century of reasonably brutal wars before the idea of religious toleration got established, and it's been a bit of a hard sell keeping it ever since.

What is your point?

As for 'neo'-Paganism, a lot of it is pretty silly, frankly. Self-conscious adoption of what you assume or think might be elements of belief systems some of your ancestors abandoned millennia ago as false, simply because you feel a need to replace belief systems you abandoned as false a lot more recently? Really?

I quite agree--just as Christianity is silly. I wrote:

When I am in a “religious” state of mind, I am pagan,

If you will notice, “religious” is in quotation marks—surely you know their purpose in this context. If you don't, take my basic composition class and I will teach you.

To you, I will say the same thing that I said to the Christian:

However, you do not know my beliefs, though you think you do.

Look at my profile designation, sweetheart; it says, “Non-Religious,” just as yours does.
 rec_diver
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/27/2012 1:58:23 PM

Gwendolyn2010 : Semantics, again. I suppose Santa Claus exists because people believe in him.

I always liked this analogy.

You've got people that believe in Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, Leprachauns, God, Unicorns.. etc.. and there's the same amount of proof for all of them.

Yet you have grown, reasonably intelligent adults who say "Of course there's no such thing as Santa Claus" and yet there they go, each and every Sunday, on their knees wasting another great day (or at least a morning), that could be spent outdoors, listening to a guy in a robe droning on about some bearded clown in the sky who "doesn't show himself because we must rely on blind faith".

Makes perfect sense to me!
 windchymes
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2012 2:23:45 PM
So.......does anybody know a good psychic in Toronto? The person who posted this thread wants to know that, not be deluged with everyone else's beliefs and opinions about psychics and religion.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/27/2012 2:32:42 PM
: So.......does anybody know a good psychic in Toronto? The person who posted this thread wants to know that, not be deluged with everyone else's beliefs and opinions about psychics and religion.

Of course we don't! Everyone knows that a good medium, is rare.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/27/2012 2:41:37 PM

I always liked this analogy.

You've got people that believe in Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, Leprachauns, God, Unicorns.. etc.. and there's the same amount of proof for all of them.

Indeed! However, the person the person to whom I was responding said:

Supposing I was to insist that "Satan" is an anthropomorphized abstraction for all of the evil in the world, and s/he 'exists' in different forms and under different names in various cultures spanning most of human existence? Would he 'exist' then? If "Satan" lives in the callous indifference to human suffering in the mind of every crack dealer, arms manufacturer or ideological fanatic? I am not talking about "Satan" as the ridiculous cartoon with a pitchfork, or even the Satan of Dante or Milton.

The Christian who brought up the issue of Satan wasn’t talking about him in the context of an abstract concept embodying evil: to her, he is a real entity. My response was to the Christian. I am not sure why the “Satan is an anthropomorphized abstraction” guy felt it necessary to wax eloquent when his concept had nothing to do with what she or I were saying.

Shrug.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2012 2:53:15 PM
LAFFING at Bladesmith's "we all know that a good medium is rare!" VERY funny!

Manuka-a ... if you want a psychic for "ENTERTAINMENT" as you explained above ... there are psychics who have 800 numbers ... they're very pricy but they do make for good entertainment ... most people who call the 800 psychic hot lines just want to chat anyway ... you wouldn't have an ongoing relationship with your psychic which most people enjoy because, when you call the hot line, you get whoever is available ... but it IS entertaining!

rec_diver
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/27/2012 2:53:36 PM
windchymes on 2/27/2012 545 PM
Subject: Looking for good psychic in Toronto area
Message: So.......does anybody know a good psychic in Toronto? The person who posted this thread wants to know that, not be deluged with everyone else's beliefs and opinions about psychics and religion.

Sometimes a person doesn't ask the right question so they receive answers to a different, more relevant, useful question that was not asked from well meaning, intelligent, good advice giving forum members.

For example, if a person writes "Can someone give me directions to Santa's house", they'd be better served with "There IS no Santa's house, don't bother driving around trying to find it especially given the sudden hike in gas prices" as compared to "Set your compass to magnetic north and just keep going until you see elves and a red nosed reindeer and don't forget to dress warmly".

BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 35
Posted: 2/27/2012 2:55:38 PM
Toronto? Confucious say: "Stay away from LeVeL 4 WhackJob, wrap your BoBo, & do not eat KFC!" Do not need psychic to have common sense in or out of Toronto
 lacalli
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/27/2012 3:29:52 PM
Yes, U make it entertaining told her to email and she'd give her the name of someone who is good in Toronto. Perhaps she'll come back and let us know the results.
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/27/2012 4:27:05 PM

Of course we don't! Everyone knows that a good medium, is rare.

I heard of a midget psychic who escaped from prison:

Small medium at large.
 manuka-a
Msg: 38
Posted: 2/28/2012 9:45:41 AM
Thank you for being so funny, and I am beginning to see this site offers no serious comments, but instead most people here like to put other people down for their beliefs. Everyone is entitled to free will, and you should not belittle beliefs which you obviously do not understand. "Beware maybe the midget psychic will hide out in your home", maybe he is under your bed.
 manuka-a
Msg: 39
Posted: 2/28/2012 9:47:19 AM
Thank you for at least trying to answer my question, as you seem to be the only one on this site who doesn't go off topic, and push your own beliefs on others. Maybe I will contact her and check it out.
 manuka-a
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/28/2012 9:51:16 AM
Thank you, and I would not waste my time with them at all. Anyway I see this site is not the place to get serious replies. Actually a friend just went to a good psychic, and he told me the predictions were accurate. So I will probably go to that one. I see it is better to ask people you know for this type of information who believe in it as well.
 rec_diver
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/28/2012 9:54:03 AM
manuka-a:Everyone is entitled to free will, and you should not belittle beliefs which you obviously do not understand.

Pffft. No one is telling you what to believe in. You've got the freedom to do whatever you please. And no one "should" do or not do anything unless there's a specific law prohibiting it.

There ARE laws against a person pretending they're something they are not and charging for it.. interesting how you don't realize when you're getting good advice that you can use and lash out at those who are the most helpful.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/28/2012 12:00:47 PM
Thats because most "Psychics" are con men and women.

When yours does the "Evil in the Egg" thing, you'll know P.T. Barnum was right.
 2findU
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 1:42:13 PM
There is no such thing as a psychic. They are ALL frauds. They just know how to read you and you are already gullible if you are looking for one. The difference between a Mentalist and a Psychic is that the Psychic is deceiving you while a Mentalist can do the same tricks but won't deceive you into thinking he is a psychic.
 asianpeachqTea
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 3:29:18 PM
If you are intrigued by Psychic Powers,Magic,AlChemy,ParaNormal/SuperNatural,Natural Remedies,& more Others Etcs
I say good for you.That is Knowledge
of Existence we have yet to fully explore and embrace.Why scorn it?
And why cheapen its lessons into money and fame tools to wield control.

Maybe you would like to Read Sylvia Browne's books. I think she is wise with help-from 'beyond' and maybe just maybe even though expensive and by reservation you could have her help you.
She was here before though I dislike she was placed at the Casino.

Good Fortunes to all
 heartrepaired
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/12/2012 4:41:44 PM
I am not in Toronto, I am in Hamilton if that helps.
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/12/2012 4:45:36 PM
a really good psychic would already know that you are in need of one and so would contact YOU first..
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Looking for good psychic in Toronto area