Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Off-Grid Living?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cotter
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Off-Grid Living?Page 5 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Hi bama ...
Small things, but I hope they add up.
I live very much the same way ... and I'm convinced that every lit bit helps.

My patient's dad makes a garden every year. His son does not get his nourishment from table food. I donate the egg shells and coffee grounds that he tills into it. He owns ... I rent ... so in addition to the coffee grounds and egg shells, I donate plants and we split the harvest.

The home I designed in Germany (way back when in 1978) was all set up for solar energy ... panels on the roof.

Every time I throw something in my "recycle" bin (in the house, it's an old laundry hamper ... outside it's a blue trash can), the future as my grandson will see it ... flashes through my mind ... and then I fast-forward to what kind of world will be there for his own grandchildren?

It's certainly clear to me that if we don't learn to live without being such horrible fossil fuel hogs, our own grandchildren will not have much to look forward to.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 102
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 5/26/2014 4:42:18 PM
Cotter- I'm glad there are so many of here on POF that do this :)
 Princess12524
Msg: 103
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 5/30/2014 4:57:39 AM
there are all levels off "off grid"

it can be living in a R.V.
It can be using solar panels in a combo w/ propane & other sources of energy...

It can be living in a tiny house on wheels (go on youtube)

There are so many ways to handle plumbing, utilities, & heating...

Check out Joseph Jenkins/humanure handbook.

Jay Schaeffer/Tumbleweed Tiny Homes

Dee Williams

the options are out there...

my fave is Scott Stewart's "Accord Flip" tiny house...

My idea is to have a house wired & plumbed for BOTH off the grid as well as on the grid!
 _babblefish
Msg: 104
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 5/30/2014 1:56:04 PM

What is the attraction of this? I'm curious, because I once dated a girl who used to go on about how cool it was to "live off the grid." I could never quite figure out just what advantages she thought she enjoyed.

The two-story house she lived in was in a semi-rural area, all right, and it had a well. And there was a septic field on part of the several-acre lot, fuel oil had to be delivered for the boiler, and she had to take the trash to a center down the road. But it still had electric, phone, and gas service, and very nice kitchen appliances, wood paneling, bathroom fixtures, furniture, etc. Seemed to me sort of like playing at roughing it.

exactly

living off grid is living in a building that operates independently up to and including no roads, anything else is just
a reduction in one's carbon/ecological footprint
 raxarsr
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 6/1/2014 11:46:57 PM
living off grid really isnt that tough.......in my area.......the amish and mennoites have been doing it for centuires
 the_regency
Msg: 106
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 6/2/2014 11:51:59 AM
^^^
That's correct raxarsr. There are so many options these days, and different types of batteries too. Mine are content to be fully charged, I just check the water level monthly and keep the panels clean. That's my routine maintenance, then once a year the technician cleans all the connections, done in an hour.
 raxarsr
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 6/2/2014 12:34:06 PM
i think many people think that living off grid means self sufficient...........nothing is farther from the truth.......i have a cousin that lives in arizona....high desert.........he is a doctor......but his house is completely off grid.........solar panels, generaters.......wind mills......................i've never visited him.....but cousins that have say his place is georgous.......not lacking in any comforts............though he doesnt use his air conditioning much
 the_regency
Msg: 108
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 6/2/2014 1:22:03 PM
There's been much bad info from solar companies telling people they need a $30K system. That's too expensive and overwhelming for most. One can start off with a small system and build up. I haven't built up that much as I am a low tech nature lover and use the generator for the occasional big stuff instead of having a big system. Easy.
 Dee4166
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 10/6/2014 7:36:46 AM
Would LOVE to try living this way...there's so many new methods to do everything almost, exciting new ideas about energy and conservation, etc.
I also enjoy the thought of just ...disappearing from sight...
 BLoNDeANGeL845
Msg: 110
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 10/6/2014 8:16:16 AM
Go on youtube & do a search on tiny houses

i like to use the filters & look at designs in the last year

or people who have been living this way for a while & give a tour of their home

great for retiress who want to travel, even if they leave their tiny home at home LOL

the utilities are NOTHING & no mortgage or rent!
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 10/7/2014 5:31:51 AM
If I could, I'd disappear within a vast area of wilderness and live ultra primitively, beginning with no more than what would go in a small pack.
 fuglygirl
Msg: 112
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 10/7/2014 7:10:51 AM
Why can you not? Possibility thinking?
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 10/8/2014 5:16:42 AM
^ I don't think there's really any "wilderness" where I wouldn't have to hide from a park ranger or any authority who I'd eventually encounter who'd say that "you can't be here living like this". Except places like the Amazon maybe, which would kill me off quick. And I know that it'd be pretty rough...I have no illusions about whether or not I'd even make it, the very primitive way by which I'd want to do it. Any other method defeats the purpose for me, and I wouldn't want to do it in the first place.
 Dee4166
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 10/8/2014 9:07:37 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maybe you should try getting on one of those survival shows...I mean the REAL ones, like naked and afraid, or fat guys in the woods?
I've thought about trying that myself....I've had a bit of survival training when I was younger and have been in the bush in the winter with only a bottle of water, a thermal blanket, snare wire, flint and a knife....It WAS interesting, I can tell you!!!! lol

Gave me a whole new appreciation for running water and electricity! lol
But I have to say that surviving on my own with such minimal resources also made me realize that I CAN count on myself when the chips are down....I encourage everyone to try it at LEAST once in their lives....It was a real confidence booster and there's something about being alone in the bush for a week and living by your wits and skills that does a soul good!
 fuglygirl
Msg: 115
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 10/8/2014 9:25:29 AM
Drink, so it's sort of a pie in the sky unfullillble fantasy? Or you don't REALLY want to do it badly enough to take the risks? Not sure, there MIGHT be feasible locacations in Australia, Africa, S. America, even Canada or Alaska? The latter 2 have the cold problem. I know there was a story about an unprepared young guy in Alaska who died doing this..he was ort of a dreamer, not really prepared or knowledgeable, and seemed initially to rely on his charm and the kindness of strangers while hitchhiking, not really a good prep for going it all alone
preparation, learning , knowledge would be key
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 10/8/2014 11:43:25 AM
dee - naked and afraid is only 3 weeks. A waste of time. When doing it for real, it takes that long just to get established enough to not die. And otherwise I couldn't stand most of the people that I see them recruit for those t.v. shows. Such drama queen cry baby losers.

fugly - And how do I get to aust, Africa, s. America, Canada, Alaska? Gonna gimme some money? And when I'm there...how'm I gonna hide? Don't wanna waste my time hiding.
 fuglygirl
Msg: 117
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 10/8/2014 12:52:45 PM
There is always hitch hiking. I conclude that you don't really want to do it . You'd rather have am dream that you could, or look back when you're too,old and tell yourself, i could have..then die without having done what you say you so much want to
 Dee4166
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 10/8/2014 1:30:44 PM

When doing it for real, it takes that long just to get established enough to not die.

When I did it myself in the winter,I would have been DEAD in 48hrs. MAX of exposure if I hadn't made a shelter, and started a fire at LEAST, so I don't agree that it takes weeks to get established enough not to die as you said...

But hey, if that's NOT your thing well, there is lots of untamed wilderness where you won't be bothered in many parts of Canada...Labrador, Northern Quebec and Ontario and almost every province...Or you can always try the Territories...Unless you're planning on building a cabin or doing clear-cutting on large pieces of land, you won't be bothered by anyone...Just make sure you have a hunting /fishing licence...and register yourself somewhere so that they can find your body, if need be...
 DragonBits
Msg: 119
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 10/8/2014 9:01:15 PM

I don't think there's really any "wilderness" where I wouldn't have to hide from a park ranger or any authority who I'd eventually encounter who'd say that "you can't be here living like this". Except places like the Amazon maybe, which would kill me off quick. And I know that it'd be pretty rough...I have no illusions about whether or not I'd even make it, the very primitive way by which I'd want to do it. Any other method defeats the purpose for me, and I wouldn't want to do it in the first place.

So what is your purpose in living in the wilderness?

But you don't have to hide, no one would ever find you even if they are looking for you once you are any distance off the road in Alaska.

Alaska, Canada, it's easy to get there for not much money, the low end of cost is maybe $500 for gas to drive to Alaska, cheaper to drive to Canada. But in Canada after 6 months you would be an illegal immigrant.

My brother drove to Alaska from Chicago, lived in a tent for 6 months. Got salmonella infection from eating old salmon he caught in a river, probably came close to dying.

I spent a month wth him in Alaska way back when, we floated down the Copper River. A little scary since we could see how extensvily braided the river is. Making it easy to take the wrong channel. And we had never rafted before, so being by ourselves felt like a real challenge.

This PDF is pretty accuate discrption of our trip.

http://www.nps.gov/wrst/planyourvisit/upload/Copper%20River%20Float.pdf

Really, in the middle of no where and you aren't likely to see anyone much less a ranger. Up there, no one really cares what you want to do.

The problem isn't hiding, the problen is getting found when you get into trouble. Many places, there isn't a soul wthin 50 miles, gas stations are 100 miles apart on the main rord, the nearest tow truck can be over 600 miles away.

The real problem is there is absolutely no way to get help, get too sick, break a leg, fall in a river then likely you will die.

I've thought about trying that myself....I've had a bit of survival training when I was younger and have been in the bush in the winter with only a bottle of water, a thermal blanket, snare wire, flint and a knife....It WAS interesting, I can tell you!!!! lol

Gave me a whole new appreciation for running water and electricity! lol
But I have to say that surviving on my own with such minimal resources also made me realize that I CAN count on myself when the chips are down....I encourage everyone to try it at LEAST once in their lives....It was a real confidence booster and there's something about being alone in the bush for a week and living by your wits and skills that does a soul good!

I would never go down a river in Alaska without supplies. The only wild life I saw were eagles, seals and a lot of signs of brown bear.

What really struck me was that you better not make any mistakes. You are totally on your own, if for any reason you lose your raft, the chances of living go down to maybe 50/50. No hope of walking out, not a lot of natural food, maybe only 1 or 2 raft trips a year float down the 85 miles from Chitina to Cordova, no cell phone service except in cities / towns.

If I am ever tempted to go back on a raft trip, I would rent an Iridium satellite phone, though I don't know if they work deep down in the middle of mountain ranges.
 Dee4166
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 10/9/2014 4:24:28 AM

But in Canada after 6 months you would be an illegal immigrant.

Good point! Although you would have to run into someone who CARES,not likely in the places that I mentioned...lol

What really struck me was that you better not make any mistakes. You are totally on your own, if for any reason you lose your raft, the chances of living go down to maybe 50/50. No hope of walking out, not a lot of natural food, maybe only 1 or 2 raft trips a year float down the 85 miles from Chitina to Cordova, no cell phone service except in cities / towns.

You are right....as far as rafting in the area that you're talking about, I'm not familiar with it, but any area inaccessible and/or too difficult terrain to be navigated by foot, ups the "danger ante". It's a dangerous proposition to BEGIN with...more so if you are travelling through an area to a destination. More likelihood of having an accident, losing equipment and/or supplies, accidentally wandering into an animal's territory and getting attacked, etc. Staying put, under the ideal circumstances that somebody knows approx. where you are, gives the greater chance of survival, unless the area is EXTREMELY inhospitable and you need to move to find better shelter, water or food.

I was dropped off in an area by someone, who knew the EXACT coordinates, and made sure to stay within a 10km perimeter, it was an area chosen for the very reason that there was a small river close by that remained moving even in winter, was in a valley and sheltered from the worst of the elements and no history of extreme flooding, and had game as well as fish....I also had a pick up time and the reason that it was a week in mid- March was for ease, (or easier!) access, less chance of storms, additional access by river close by due to run-off, and less likelihood of dangerously cold and lasting temps, as well as it being a period of time that I could survive without food and with the little water that I had most likely, even if I didn't get a fire going, was able to purify, etc. I COULD have chosen to bring water purification tablets and chose NOT to because of the flint. Brought that because I'm not NUTS and exposure was STILL the greatest risk.

But...let me say I also COULD have easily gotten injured or even killed even WITH all of those precautions and they wouldn't have known until I didn't show up at the pick up,by which point,depending on the extent of my injuries, would have been TOO late in some cases...This was in the day BEFORE sat phones....
But that IS the point of survival training...I did it as part of a young adult training program,had gone on numerous trips with a group BEFORE ever attempting it on my own in every season and also, forgot to add that I had fishing line as well! In a week, I managed to snare two rabbits and catch numerous fish and by the end, although I was looking forward to a good steak dinner, by staying put, being extra cautious and using the training I had been given, I did pretty well.
That isn't necessarily something that I would attempt to do "incommunicado" at this age and stage of my Life, don't get me wrong!!! Were I to attempt it NOW, I would certainly bring a sat phone...

The most important point that you made was the very reason that some people choose to do survival trips, you ARE on your own, totally self-reliant, and there's a rush that you get from learning to live with Nature,on it's own terms...and the inherent danger strikes a cord in the primitive brain...well,in mine any way.
I don't know about you, but sometimes I am overwhelmed by the modern world, so MUCH stimulation,most of it of little or no real consequence and bringing it back to the real basics, well, it's like a reset button, for me.
Hey, some people jump out of planes or race cars for that thrill, survivalists do it for the same reason...lol
 fuglygirl
Msg: 121
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 10/9/2014 9:17:00 AM
Lol, someone claims he wants to be self sufficient, totally off the grid, away from anyone..and his very first thought is to ask someone else for the money to get there..obviously not in the right mindset. .in the wilderness there'd be no one to ask for help, charity..
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 10/9/2014 10:06:54 AM
Conversations like this always remind me how to tell the difference between those who really understand what we're (I'm) talking about, and those who don't. Those who I'd want out there with me, and those who I wouldn't...who'd get someone killed or bring too much drama and pointless conflict.

Stick with your t.v. shows.
 Dee4166
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 10/9/2014 11:44:07 AM

Stick with your t.v. shows.

Ummmmm, what?

If you're talking to me, then I have NO clue as to why you'd respond like that...??? You're right, I guess, I just don't "get it"....in that case....and having been on MANY survival trips myself...I can tell you , that you'd be LUCKY to have someone like me along!!..........

If you're not talking to me, then my apologies....and good luck with whatever you decide to do....
 gingerosity
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 10/9/2014 1:59:58 PM

I know there was a story about an unprepared young guy in Alaska who died doing this..he was ort of a dreamer, not really prepared or knowledgeable, and seemed initially to rely on his charm and the kindness of strangers while hitchhiking

I saw a movie based on this story called 'Into The Wild'. It's well worth a look.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Off-Grid Living?
Posted: 10/9/2014 2:08:41 PM

sometimes I am overwhelmed by the modern world, so MUCH stimulation

I don't have much of a problem with the modern world, nor with people or civilization in general...whereas others will say that they want to be way out of town because they hate people or they want peace, my motivations aren't that I hate people (like many, I only hate some certain people) nor are they that life is "too hectic" or I consider countrified places to be peaceful - I always have peace already, and living in the wild can be as noisy or stressful as elsewhere...it's just a matter of what noise and stress you prefer. "Peace and quiet" isn't what I seek. I'd not be trying necessarily to get away from civilization, but I'd be just trying to get closer to wilderness, and that way of life. And it's just that you have to leave the human world behind in order to find that.

ginger...yea, I saw that movie. Interesting. I think that guy wasn't necessarily trying to be Mr. Primitive Man, but he just wanted to shed the shackles of his identity and the modern world. Or something like that.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Off-Grid Living?