Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why men ask women about jobs, money on the first message?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Seki1949
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Why men ask women about jobs, money on the first message?Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
We need the money.
 FloridaRes123
Msg: 67
Why men ask women about jobs, money on the first message?
Posted: 10/30/2013 2:29:41 AM
9/10, they will ask what I do for a living, it seems a standard question for the ones who lack creativity. Out of so many questions you can ask, you stick to questions you consider "safe"? That already puts a damper on the whole thing.

Cripes, talk about hard to please and highly critical. You seem to really think that people are underneath you.

I get a kick out of how people purposely put "ask me" or "I pay the bills" or "I work" in that profession area.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 68
Posted: 10/30/2013 4:10:01 AM
I have not asked what a man does for a living in the "first message" nor have I been asked that question. However,
within a few messages, this question does come up. No big deal. For me, it is more to see if there is something in common, based on occupation. If there is, more to talk about. :)
===
I do think it is silly to put "ask me" or "I have one" or "I pay bills" "Wouldn't you like to know" in the profession area.
 SWEET_MAVERICK
Msg: 69
Posted: 10/30/2013 4:53:58 AM
I think my income is no one's business either, in middle age people do take early retirements, some of us get a pension thru our exes, some women (& men) do get spousal maintenance & yes some people are out on disability, doesn't mean they didn't work thru their adult life...BUT...

Online, sooooo many folks I know meet dozens of people b4 they meet someone that they end up getting a real date with...so easily 9 times out of 10, be honest w/ yourselves, all it amounts to is a coffee/drink meet.

And should a person get lucky enough to get a 2nd date, etc. HOW MANY OUT OF THOSE LEAD TO MARRIAGE??? or even co-habitation?

I wouldn't give up my medical insurance or any $$ due me from my one & only marriage cuz I am too smart for that...so no guy I ever dated had to care about my situation unless he was planning on marriage, which in middle age is silly IMO. I have my stuff (assets & income) & he has his. He can buy me a cup of joe or a drink, maybe spring for something here & there, just like I can cook for him & spring for something here & there.

What is the big deal/hangup? Do people not even TRUST THEMSELVES & THEIR OWN DECISION MAKING PROCESS? I don't date off of POF anyway, but if I did, do I have magical powers that make all of his $$ fly out of his bank account???

If a man is asking me about my $$ I'd assume he is a man-hoor & I'd block & delete. Unless he looks like Brad Pitt & has a penis like John Holmes & is on Forbes 500 wealthiest men, he has to prove himself date/relationship material to women, not the other way around IMO.

The corollary is: some people have a great income & assets but huge debt. Some have little income, but no debt, low bills & plenty of assets. It's the big picture that counts overall. I found in the past the men w/ the modest income/lifestyles were way more generous/loving than the guys w/ beaucoup bucks...and a huge mortgage, 3 car payments, tons of child support/spousal, kids in college, etc.

I like nice things but in a reasonable manner, I have no issue w/ coupons, a good chain retaurant, home cooked meals, matinees, off season cruises etc.

Because there seem to be a LOT of women who are living off of child support payments or disability, or some other unknown source. It scares the hell out of men. They are worried about being taken advantage of.

Because a man doesn't want to be used for a meal ticket any more than you do.

as long as they are not paying that woman's child support, why should they care? & if a person got disibility, then they qualified. Why would that be scary? No one can take advantage of a person unless that person ALLOWS it!

And no one wants to be a free pump-N-dump.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 70
Posted: 10/30/2013 6:43:30 AM

They should ask you what your favourite flavour of bowling ball is.

Sorry, I didn't get it.

Men don't seem to understand that we get bombarded with messages so you can only imagine how many times a day we get asked the same question(s). It is not their fault, but the repetition works against them, so the ones who ask other questions stand out.
 floral2
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/30/2013 6:57:31 AM
Like others said, asking someone about what they do for a living or what are some of their interests is a common icebreaker. I had plenty of good and interesting conversations that started off with these questions.
 chill78
Msg: 72
Posted: 10/30/2013 7:08:14 AM
Men don't seem to understand that we get bombarded with messages so you can only imagine how many times a day we get asked the same question(s). It is not their fault, but the repetition works against them, so the ones who ask other questions stand out.

Men are often told to ask a question about something that was in her profile on the first email. That's why men might ask questions about her job or one of her interests. For example, if a woman lists "rock music" as one of her interests, he might ask her what are her favorite rock bands.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 73
Posted: 10/30/2013 7:55:34 AM

Men are often told to ask a question about something that was in her profile on the first email. That's possibly why he asked a question about her job or one of her interests. For example, if a woman lists "rock music" as one of her interests, he might ask her what are her favorite rock bands.

I'm not against asking questions about something on the profile. If the profile lists an occupation, you can inquire about it.

There is a difference between "What do you do for a living?" and "I see that you have Academia listed as your occupation , what do you do in academia?".

Which of the two indicates you actually read the profile?

"What do you do for fun?" is another one of those. If she lists an activity on her interests or speaks about doing something on her profile, ask questions about it.

My issue is with overtly general questions that indicate you didn't read anything and probably don't remember anything about me because you were too busy carpet bombing. I get that the the reply rate for men is significantly lower, but a little once over after getting a reply should aide you in continuing the conversation. I've had people ask me the same thing over again after a couple of sentences, like, did you forget who you were speaking to and that you had asked me that already?
 Post_PrepatoryLIFER
Msg: 74
Posted: 10/30/2013 3:08:11 PM
Asking about income before meeting- not a very classy approach and it could easily appear to be financially motivated. If its fear based- not attractive either. Someone already forming the opinion that another is not self-reliant would be some cold calculating formulation and does not promote positivity as who enjoys being seen in a poor light? Totally void of tact regardless of the 'intentions'.

I say if you live off of an income that comfortably supports your Family and you do not need to rely on another for their income- you are self reliant; especially if you have not incurred outstanding debt.

Today, it is poor opinion, that 'success' is often materialistic based and does require incurring debt- monthly payments towards a House, Car, are seen as debt in my eyes and not factual owned property. So when I see profiles of photos of big homes, and multiple cars, motorbikes, ATVs, snow mobiles- I think, that's a lot of debt. Unnecessary debt at that.

Such things do not showcase one's Character; just things that they have that they are proud of? Its a foreign concept to me. *shrugs* I'm just not a person that derives self worth by monetary objects nor do they drive me in daily decision making.

Be yourself and be honest. You don't have to disclose income sources or salary in a first email let alone first meet.

They are indeed decision making factors to discuss as a joint couple working towards a long term committed future/marriage.

If you are self reliant- say so. That's all that needs to be said.
 ~Arianna~
Msg: 75
Posted: 11/2/2013 9:33:04 AM
I would never ask outright what someone does for a living. I phrase it as 'what field of work are you in', therefore, it leaves it open to the gentleman to share something about what he does for 40 hours a week without any pressure to divulge anything specific such as a title.

As to how much income he generates, that holds no importance to me. If we continue to date after meeting, how financially responsible he is will become apparent over time. High income does not always equate to a lot of disposable income if he holds a lot of debt. I may even make less than him yet be able to do more things due to being more fiscally responsible.

Lifestyles & life goals are what I look for. I want to be on the same page as a partner as to how we view the future.
 Tealwood
Msg: 76
Posted: 11/3/2013 5:46:39 AM
Post Prep

There are woman who ask the same of men as they want to avoid the issues of unexpected anvils or financial liabilities or encumbrances. I have never been troubled with sound careful pre-qualifications of potential dating partners. I have been asked the same questions on more than one occasion.

Today, it is poor opinion, that 'success' is often materialistic based and does require incurring debt- monthly payments towards a House, Car, are seen as debt in my eyes and not factual owned property. So when I see profiles of photos of big homes, and multiple cars, motorbikes, ATVs, snow mobiles- I think, that's a lot of debt. Unnecessary debt at that.

Now that is a valid comment…..then equally is the suggestion or question of employment based on the well published government statistics of only 50% of custodial mothers are employed full time and a corresponding level of poverty. After all why should I assume a significant level of financial liability or monthly requirements in terms of a custodial mother who chooses not to support herself or her children in terms of employment…..just as prudent careful woman like yourself why should she get involved with some guy who has high levels of debt due to ,,,,big homes…ATV’s multiple cars and snow mobiles….they are both relevant considerations. Your debt laden guy with too many toys…or your custodial mother who believes she does not need to be employed.

I say if you live off of an income that comfortably supports your Family and you do not need to rely on another for their income- you are self reliant; especially if you have not incurred outstanding debt.

But if you are working part time….or not working…something 50% of custodial mothers are doing then who is in fact providing the financial resources? So perhaps the level of income is fleeting or not stable. Again valid when looking at both sides as when looking at how long the employment has been held…..or if they are probably just waiting for someone else to shoulder their financial responsibilities.

They are indeed decision making factors to discuss as a joint couple working towards a long term committed future/marriage.

50% of custodial mothers are employed full time….so why would they become employed full time after a second marriage? Come on be serious…..if they are living off society and or someone else they will continue the same attitude when in a long term committed relationship…better to find out before the relationship is clouded by intimacy.

Asking the question right upfront allows or enables you to avoid 50% of the potential problematic women if this is important criteria for you. There are men who had a financial cost or a sever set back extricating themselves from their last relationship. My costs were all the equity from the marriage in the manner of lump sum spousal support as she felt entitled in not having to work once she hit her 40’s……and yet I had custody and she felt as I was employed she need not pay child support as I was primary custodial parent. I have no problem assuming my responsibilities I just shudder at assuming another’s responsibilities’ because she feels she does not like to have to work full time.

It is if a badly handled way of dealing with the question valid. But then as I was raising my children and now assisting in their university costs not like when I was in my early year’s foot loose and free of responsibilities. I once had had it stated clearly in my profile that I was employed full time and paid my own way in life and expected the same of a prospective dating partner and received a few replies from woman who found it objectionable

I would never ask outright what someone does for a living. I phrase it as 'what field of work are you in', therefore, it leaves it open to the gentleman to share something about what he does for 40 hours a week without any pressure to divulge anything specific such as a title.. And yet some woman have it in their profile and I do not see men complaining about that?

Subtle and tactful versus clumsy or blunt…it is doing the same thing. Really how is it different in the result…..weeding out the probable financial liabilities before they become your liability.
 cooldog65
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2013 6:30:12 AM

If you are self reliant- say so. That's all that needs to be said.

I like this answer. I will use it in the future.

It's somewhat easy to judge approximate income range based on job field or title. As long as I don't have to supplement another person's income, it's all good.

After looking at the pictures of the most powerful women in business, I'd rather date the younger and hotter receptionist.
 SWEET_MAVERICK
Msg: 78
Posted: 11/3/2013 6:33:49 AM

After looking at the pictures of the most powerful women in business, I'd rather date the younger and hotter receptionist.

An honest man! Most men think the same unless they r a man-hoor or dead from the waist down. And that receptionist would be a hell of a lot more fun in & out of the bedroom if my guess is correct!
 Paderic
Msg: 79
Posted: 11/3/2013 7:09:13 AM
An honest man! Most men think the same unless they r a man-hoor or dead from the waist down. And that receptionist would be a hell of a lot more fun in & out of the bedroom if my guess is correct!

Not all professional women are homely and not all receptionists are attractive, these are asinine stereotypes. The notion that all men think alike is equally ignorant.
 KrazyChikk
Msg: 80
Posted: 11/3/2013 7:30:09 AM

I've been in both positions.
Only thing that changes is the quality of my silk stockings.
My sexual nature remains the same regardless of position....unless we're doing the backwards cowboy ride;)

I think most people just want to know that you are an adult and capable of supporting yourself before they open up to getting to know you.
 Theme_Pack
Msg: 81
Posted: 11/6/2013 3:39:57 PM
Occupations; Why not just insert it in the pigeon hole that this site provides. And I'm sure most people can usually make a rough guess from you age, Geographical location and you occupation what your income would be, but they won't know your net worth which is none of their business. There are too many factors when it comes to Net Worth.
 VolcanoKing
Msg: 82
Posted: 11/12/2013 12:38:37 AM
50 years ago men wouldnt be asking this question. Today, in the post feminist era, men are more inclined to want to know. Women arent expected to be as dependent as they used to be. Our entire culture has been shifted so that women are expected be to be self sufficient and able to take care of themselves financially. There seems to be less incentive to simply "take care of" a woman now.

Clearly there is also a shift in thinking that there is no *reward* to taking on someone who doesnt work. Men dont feel a housewife or nurturing role really cuts it. Life is expensive. Life is cutthroat. We've crafted this culture to be what it is, very money oriented and very "self sufficient" (alienated, really) so this is what we seek now in our personal lives, people who get up and out and work.

And to be fair, as a woman, I have to admit..I will not date someone who is unemployed or does not have a car due to lack of funds. I am not talking about someone who has regular seasonal employment and is in between jobs, I am talking about the chronic, temp agency living at home sort of unemployment. And in LA, you MUST have a car to get around. It's just how this city is built.

Harsh? It didnt used to be. Men used to take great pride in being mature. Now, the name of the game is if you've scored high on Grand Theft Auto. (OK, a bit of sarcasm there but you know what I mean)

I cant tell you how many men on dating sites (in their 50's) I've discovered who are broke, living with their parents again, have no car, no real job, just sort of dependent children. And they expect to date. I'm supposed to be "mommy" now and shuffle them around to movies and want to have sex with them. Then taxi them back home.

Not happenin'.
 aanarchist
Msg: 83
Posted: 11/13/2013 2:27:40 AM
money is most certainly not an indicator of health and maturity, don't be silly. all it shows is that they are good at making and managing money. the only reason a sensible guy would ask a woman about her job would be because she was too vague in her description. chances are he may have had women in his past that tried to mooch off of him so he'd like to know from the start if she can pay her own bills and isn't going out with him in hopes of getting carried.
 aanarchist
Msg: 84
Posted: 11/13/2013 8:26:20 PM
i see what you did there :)

it's an indicator of potential i'll concede that much.
 FloridaRes123
Msg: 85
Posted: 11/14/2013 3:09:57 AM

50 years ago men wouldnt be asking this question. Today, in the post feminist era, men are more inclined to want to know. Women arent expected to be as dependent as they used to be. Our entire culture has been shifted so that women are expected be to be self sufficient and able to take care of themselves financially. There seems to be less incentive to simply "take care of" a woman now.

With the exception of Russian divorce's in America....seems they want a meal ticket even on into a 2nd marriage. I had a situation where a Russian woman was introducing me to one of her single friends. Apparently she's apart of this network of the "Russian/AMerican Society" where people from the Russian culture can make connections/networking.

The one that was wanting to introduce me to her single friend was living with her boyfriend. She had no job, but was simply a housewife with a child full time from a previous marriage. According to her, he doesn't mind taking care of her because it's all done out of love.

The woman she was trying to fix me up with , well, she was also looking for a man that could support her and her child as she would take care of the home while he's away at work....but apparently it was a no-go for myself since I knew I couldn't support 2 mouths to feed. One adult and one child.

It didn't get that far and she said most of the women ....well, the single ones...were looking for someone that could support them as they remained home to be the housewives....but I got a kick out of seeing the photos on their site.....it was so "The Real Housewives...." TV show...it was uncanny. LOL
'
Seeing them sit around a table at an upscale country club, big hats on, holding wine glasses up in a "cheers" pose. Yeah someone's living comfortably. Even if I could afford to, I wouldn't fall into that.
 aanarchist
Msg: 86
Posted: 11/14/2013 5:36:16 AM
being of russian descent myself, i'm totally in favor of cute russian girls who have traditional values. taking care of a slacker with no purpose or passion in life and her **stard children on the other hand, no thank you. but hey, the super betas and the yes men will jump at the chance to take care of those fine ladies, everybody wins :)
 LoneScottishBoy
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2013 7:20:42 AM
Actually I think it's more force of habit than anything else.
It's the first thing most of us ask other men when we meet.

As males in western society, we are socilalized to identify ourselves with what we do.
 TheReason_
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2013 8:38:30 AM
I'd be looking for someone in the same boat as me. Similar income, own their own home etc etc. then if it worked out we could decide to sell one it both homes, get a place together etc etc. more of a balance than anything.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why men ask women about jobs, money on the first message?