Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Lottery winner still on food stamps.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Lottery winner still on food stamps.Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Can you show me a billionaire or a millionaire for that matter on welfare, food stamps or medicade then that are using gov aided progams?

Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 24
Lottery winner still on food stamps.
Posted: 3/8/2012 7:12:01 PM
Can you show me a billionaire or a millionaire for that matter on welfare, food stamps or medicade then that are using gov aided progams?

Challenge accepted.

Though it has nothing to do with my point, because they are getting their government handouts at a different window as they require larger bills.

About 1,390,000 results (0.12 seconds)

The Medicaid millionaires: Two brothers live the life of luxury charging the state for care of the disabled

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2021682/Medicaid-millionaires-Philip-Joel-Levy-charge-state-disabled-care.html
 PutYouOnBlast
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/8/2012 7:13:36 PM
That woman played stupid. How she fell through the cracks is beyond me. Here in New York, when someone applies for public assistance, they are given a form that they MUST sign stating that if they win any lottery money, they must pay back what was given to them, plus 1%. That was over 20 years ago. Now, when someone goes to the lottery office to claim (anything over 600 dollars is taxable), a percentage gets taken out.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2012 7:21:44 PM
Good i'm glad you showed me that link that just prove my point about how people that shouldn't be on gov aided programs are on it and are abusing the system and those brothers that were on medicad and were robbing the system by abusing it should be put in jail on account of fraud.
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 27
Posted: 3/8/2012 7:34:41 PM

In-case you have not being paying attention, they already do.

Their free lunch comes in the form of tax relief and it is a heck of allot more than a few thousand per year.

That is funny seeing as the top 1% pays 37% of all the taxes paid, and the top 25% pays 85% of all taxes paid.

the bottom 50% pays only 3% of the taxes in the US.

So tell me just what is a fair share for the "rich"? Seeing as they already are paying for the bottom 50%.

Also they just came out with the percentage that pays no taxes at all and that is 49.5%.

Seems to me some of the ones not paying any taxes are the ones getting the free lunches!

http://american.com/archive/2007/november-december-magazine-contents/guess-who-really-pays-the-taxes
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/8/2012 7:36:20 PM
That is funny seeing as the top 1% pays 37% of all the taxes paid, and the top 25% pays 85% of all taxes paid.

Not as funny as someone that does not understanding math.

Because that stat is completely meaningless, groups do not pay taxes, people do, so to use numbers like that, proves you have no idea how numbers work.

It does not matter what % one group pays over another, why not look at what % women pay vs what men pay, or right handed people pay vs left handed people.

The only stat that matters is what you pay as a % of your income and they pay a lot less than you do and they do that by way of tax codes that they have come up with a lobbied for to help them pay less than their fair share.

cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/8/2012 7:42:44 PM

Not as funny as someone that does not understanding math.

Because that stat is completely meaningless, groups do not pay taxes, people do, so to use numbers like that, proves you have no idea how numbers work.

It does not matter what % one group pays over another, the only stat that matters is what you pay as a % of your income and they pay a lot less than you do.

So 49.5% of people paying 0% is more than the top 1% paying 37% huh.

Dang they have changed math since I went to school then!
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/8/2012 7:53:01 PM

So 49.5% of people paying 0% is more than the top 1% paying 37% huh.

Dang they have changed math since I went to school then!

Please explain to me the rational of using groups when talking about what share of taxes individuals pay?

The only number that matters is what % do they pay as individuals, not as a group.

Do you understand the difference between the two?
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/8/2012 8:04:59 PM

Please explain to me the rational of using groups when talking about what share of taxes individuals pay?

The only number that matters is what % do they pay as individuals, not as a group.

Do you understand the difference between the two?

Yes I do the top 1% is the ones paying the most taxes.

The OWS nuts are sure says groups matter.

Besides we are talking about what they pay as individuals the top 1% of earners are paying taxes as individuals not in a group....Not that it would matter even if it was paid as group they would still be paying 37% of all the taxes paid.

I noticed you did not answer my question about if them paying 37% of all taxes paid is not enough....What would be a fair share for them to pay?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/8/2012 8:14:53 PM
Yes I do the top 1% is the ones paying the most taxes.

Why is the cut off the top 1%, why not top 18% or top 27.75%?

Do you not understand that the group is arbitrary and not relevant to the argument?

The fact is, there are people who create tax loopholes so they can jump through them and avoid paying taxes. This you clearly do not understand.

I noticed you did not answer my question about if them paying 37% of all taxes paid is not enough....What would be a fair share for them to pay?

That is because it is by far the stupidest thing I have been asked today and is impossible to answer and shows your complete lack of understanding on the matter.

Besides we are talking about what they pay as individuals the top 1% of earners are paying taxes as individuals not in a group....Not that it would matter even if it was paid as group they would still be paying 37% of all the taxes paid.

I now stand corrected, this one takes the cake.
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/8/2012 8:31:01 PM

Why is the cut off the top 1%, why not top 18% or top 27.75%?

The wed site I posted broke it down into a few different percentages.

Do you not understand that the group is arbitrary and not relevant to the argument?

The fact is, there are people who create tax loopholes so they can jump through them and avoid paying taxes. This you clearly do not understand.

The fact is 49.5% of people that work are not paying any taxes at all.

Which is also a loophole so they don't have to pay taxes.

So you have issues with loopholes so people can pay less taxes but no trouble with the ones that use loopholes in the tax laws to allow them to pay no taxes what so ever.

Why not let every one pay the same percentage? That way the ones that make less pays less money and the ones that make more pay more.....but everyone pays!
 AlwaysSmiling401
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2012 8:58:06 PM
100% wrong.

In Canada taxes are paid when the ticket is purchased, as it is built into the price of the ticket.

Really? Please read my original statement again. I will post it again so you get it;

In Canada lottery winnings are not taxed. I never mentioned the tax on the original purchase of the ticket.

And it is true. In Canada you do not pay taxes on the WINNING amount. If I win $1 million, I keep $1 million. The government, or anyone else, does not take 500 k.

Who cares about the tax amount on the purchase of the ticket? Its a small amount of money. It goes without saying that it is better to pay tax on your $5 - $20 purchase then your WINNINGS.
Yes the gov't still gets their taxes from it but they spread it out across all the ticket buyers as opposed to just the winner. I bet states charge a tax when you purchase your ticket and ding the winner to. Although I don't know or care about that.

In Ontario half the profit from Lotto sales goes to charity, the other half the government for things like health care. I think our lotto system up here is great.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/8/2012 9:38:22 PM
The lottery is a tax on people who can't do math. The whole purchase is a voluntary tax.

Now that reminds me that the jackpot is $40 million tomorrow. Better get my ticket.
 irishlab33
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/8/2012 9:57:08 PM

Their free lunch comes in the form of tax relief and it is a heck of allot more than a few thousand per year.

you do realize, again, that "allot" does not mean the same thing as "a lot".......right?

The woman is bilking the system. Quit excusing her behavior by comparing her to others, who you "think" are wronging the system.

If you don't like the system, change it. Oh wait, you can't change our system. You're Canadian. Now I get it.........it's a jealousy thing.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2012 10:05:27 PM
While y'all are fighting over fuzzy math, did anyone notice that she has now been cut off from benefits and new legislation is being pushed through to make sure this doesn't happen again?

(CNN) -- A Michigan woman who won the lottery but continued to receive food assistance from the state government has had her benefits pulled, officials said.

Amanda Clayton hit it big playing the Michigan Lottery. Like many winners, she used her $1 million prize to buy a new house.

But the Lincoln Park, Michigan, resident continued to receive money in another form -- $200 a month in state food assistance, according to CNN Detroit affiliate WDIV.

Her story made headlines, and on Thursday, the state's Department of Human Services announced that she is no longer getting the benefits.

According to Michigan law, welfare recipients must report any changes in assets or income to the agency within 10 days.

The department "relies on clients being forthcoming about their actual financial status. If they are not, and continue to accept benefits, they may face criminal investigation and be required to pay back those benefits," Director Maura Corrigan said in a statement.

She said the agency supports new legislation that would verify whether lottery winners receive state benefits.

"I thought that they would cut me off, but since they didn't, I thought, maybe, it was OK because I'm not working," Clayton, 24, told WDIV when it asked whether it was appropriate for her to receive the money.

A state lawmaker is trying to stop such assistance, which is not illegal. He says the food assistance should not go to those who have found riches through the lottery.

"We need to continue to protect our taxpayers' dollars ... and taxpayer dollars should be going to those who really do need assistance," Michigan Rep. Dale Zorn of Ida Township told HLN's Vinnie Politan on Wednesday.

In October, Clayton walked away with $1 million in the "Make Me Rich!" lottery game show. She also bought a car, WDIV reported.

After taking a lump sum and paying taxes, the unemployed woman said she ended up with just more than $500,000.

Asked if she had the right to the public assistance money, Clayton answered, "I kind of do. I have no income, and I have bills to pay. I have two houses."

Zorn said the state House has passed bills on the matter. One would require a state agency to conduct an assets test if a citizen wins more than $1,000 in lottery earnings. "That will trigger whether or not the people are eligible to receive public assistance."

The legislature has not approved any final measures.

Clayton told WDIV she had wanted to continue using a food-assistance card until it is cut off. "It's hard. I am struggling."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/07/us/michigan-lottery-winner/index.html?hpt=hp_bn1

So if she won in October, and already received her march money, that means she got a maximum of $1200 that she shouldn't have. In the grand scheme of things that's not much, and the article doesn't mention whether the state will try to get even that back from her.

I don't think it's right for her to have received assistance, but it seems like the loophole in the system that allowed that to happen is being fixed. Time to move on to the next 'outrage'....
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/9/2012 5:14:13 AM

The fact is 49.5% of people that work are not paying any taxes at all.

Which is also a loophole so they don't have to pay taxes.

No actually it is creative math combined with some lies.

These explain the whole thing:

It’s A Myth That 47% Of Americans Pay No Taxes, In Truth 86% Pay Taxes
http://www.politicususa.com/half-americans-taxes/

The Myth That 47% of Americans Pay No Taxes
http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/the-myth-that-47-of-americans-pay-no-taxes/question-1986041/

The 53% Myth: Working Poor Pay More Of Their Income In State And Local Taxes Than The Rich In 49 States
http://thinkprogress.org/special/2011/10/12/341563/memo-to-erick-erickson-the-working-poor-pay-more-in-state-and-local-taxes-in-ever/

etc......

You really need to turn off Fox news and then maybe you will understand that % of groups who pay taxes are just peoples way of using numbers to spread lies.

Much like was pointed out earlier, lottery tickets are for people who are bad with math and so are misleading statistics.
 irishlab33
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/9/2012 5:32:30 AM

No actually it is creative math combined with some lies.

These explain the whole thing:

It’s A Myth That 47% Of Americans Pay No Taxes, In Truth 86% Pay Taxes
http://www.politicususa.com/half-americans-taxes/

The Myth That 47% of Americans Pay No Taxes
http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/the-myth-that-47-of-americans-pay-no-taxes/question-1986041/

The 53% Myth: Working Poor Pay More Of Their Income In State And Local Taxes Than The Rich In 49 States
http://thinkprogress.org/special/2011/10/12/341563/memo-to-erick-erickson-the-working-poor-pay-more-in-state-and-local-taxes-in-ever/

etc......

You really need to turn off Fox news and then maybe you will understand that % of groups who pay taxes are just peoples way of using numbers to spread lies.

Much like was pointed out earlier, lottery tickets are for people who are bad with math and so are misleading statistics.

I agree with you about statistics.

People can slant them to their argument and then "lie" about what they might represent.

I have seen you post articles with misleading statistics on multiple occassions. You seem to be a smart enough guy. Why do you resort to the same tactics that you belittle others for using?

OT- I read the article from your first link. (self described "real liberal" site). Even they admit that the 47% didn't pay any INCOME tax, though they (might have) paid SS and Medicaid, or real estate taxes, and sales tax.

So, they agree with the statement that in 2009, 47% did not pay any income tax.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2012 5:57:09 AM
If a single person makes more than $9,55o. per year they DO pay federal taxes. The $9550. is the total of their allowable standard deduction, $5800. + their allowable personal exemption, $3,750. The standard deduction and personal exemptions are allowable for ALL tax payers, although people making better wages often are allowed to use Schedule A and B to offset their taxes and raise their standard deduction to a higher allowance which depends on specific allowable expenses that they might have such as interest from their homes, health insurance premiums and other health related expenses, etc.

The people that make less than that $9550. per year SHOULD NOT pay taxes as they do not make enough to cover yearly living expenses anyways and ACTUALLY many of those who DO pay taxes still make so little that they require food stamps and other benefits to help out each year.

It sounds like the lady genuinely did not understand her obligation and the state will most likely ban her from applying for food stamps for several years because of it. The state might also require her to pay the benefits back plus interest.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/9/2012 6:10:38 AM
^^^...and just to further that...the lower income brackets "probably" pay a higher percentage of income thru taxes on gas, sales taxes, and other state taxes...to say that government only taxes the population thru federal and state income taxes is wrong...we're all taxed additionallly in a variety of other ways....and the FOX statistics discount the additional tax burden the poor pay just to get thru the day at their low wage jobs.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/9/2012 6:22:06 AM

I have seen you post articles with misleading statistics on multiple occassions. You seem to be a smart enough guy. Why do you resort to the same tactics that you belittle others for using?

Please point out anything misleading in those articles and I would happy to address them.

As to your question, do you really think that saying X Group pays X% of the taxes is a valid argument that individuals are paying their fair share of taxes?

Because the way I see it, it is probably the stupidest argument I have seen used, and shows that the person making those claims does not understand math as it completely arbitrary to the point.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/9/2012 6:39:08 AM
^^^funny you should say that...the top 10% of income earners earm more than 50% of the total income in the US.
http://elsa.berkeley.edu/~saez/atkinson-piketty-saezJEL10.pdf
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/9/2012 8:49:30 PM

^^^funny you should say that...the top 10% of income earners earm more than 50% of the total income in the US.
http://elsa.berkeley.edu/~saez/atkinson-piketty-saezJEL10.pdf

Could that be because they worked hard to get to where their at?

I mean people like Steve Jobs started in a garage.

Welfare should be a hand up not a hand out for generations.

I worked and saved enough to start my own business that turned into two, very successful endeavors.

So much so, I was able to sell both and move to the gulf coast of FL and work only when I choose to.

I paid way more than my fair share of taxes why is it only the wealthy are not paying their fair share. When the bottom 49.5% doesn't pay a dime of tax and some of them not only get back what they paid in but get more than they paid in.

The truly fair way to is to let everyone pay the same percentage of tax the ones making more will pay more and the ones paying nothing now will be contributing to the tax coffers as well.
 Sportsfreak89
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/9/2012 8:55:44 PM
Even I will agree that there needs to be limits and regulations on welfare, food stamps, and disability. Especially if you win a lottery drawing.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/10/2012 4:48:48 AM

Even I will agree that there needs to be limits and regulations on welfare, food stamps, and disability. Especially if you win a lottery drawing.

Yep, millionaires shouldn't be getting food stamps and should be paying taxes.

Because many millionaires and billionaires, it was revealed today, don't pay taxes like you and me:

In fact, many don't pay taxes at all. Now, those familiar with the Mack-truck sized loopholes written into the tax code (example: the wealthy who make their money off capital gains only pay a 15 percent tax rate, if that) shouldn't be surprised.

According to a recently released IRS report (PDF), 1,470 millionaires and billionaires paid zero taxes in 2009.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/08/millionaire_taxes_irs_calif.php

Seems that there's some millionaires and billionaires that are part of the scumbag group 50% hat don't pay taxes...they worked too hard for their money to part with it for something so frivelous as taxes.
 RushLuv
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/10/2012 9:06:58 AM
I think the whole thing is foul, and she should be forced to pay the state back every penny that was spent.

Just because she's unemployed, does not give her the right to cheat the system.

Instead of just spending, she could be using some of that money to invest in. She could even start up an internet/work from home business. Nowadays so many people are making money off of the web, and some enough to pay their bills. There are plenty of legit ways to make money.

She doesn't have to remain unemployed.

I would think someone winning a million dollar lottery, would be more than happy to get off of that kind of aid from the states. Guess not.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Lottery winner still on food stamps.