Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Prejudice and indifference against dating one's own age?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 The-George
Msg: 26
Prejudice and indifference against dating one's own age?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
There are many reasons. Some logical or practical. But for some there is no reason outside of sheer preference.

Myself for example, when in my teens, I always went for girls 2 - 3 years older than myself. In my 20's I went for women 10+ years older than myself. Now in my 30's, I seem to want to date women in their 20's.

Why? I don't really know, but it seems my preference has changed. Perhaps there is a practical reason behind it, like the fact that I want to have kids, or perhaps, that I'm looking for a woman who doesn't have kids of her own yet, which becomes less likely as my prospective dating pool gets older.

Now that is not to say that I won't date someone my own age, or even older, or somone who has kids. But that I will focus more on younger women.
 bike mad
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Prejudice and indifference against dating one's own age?
Posted: 3/23/2012 7:00:50 PM
I have dated women roughly my age and find they aren't fit enough for a long walk in the hills, let alone a short break in a different city. I'm not even remotely interested in sitting on the sofa with a bottle of wine and a DVD.
Only some women in their 20's are still physically fit, most in their 30's aren't.
If I were to meet a fit 40 year old, what about having children? That's not really recommended by doctors...
 0ldhag
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/25/2012 8:34:17 AM
I'd date guys my own age, but for some reason I get the old ones who are interested!

38 or above...

I much rather someone my own age though, it's just that they are not interested in me for some reason...

lukasz1981
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/25/2012 11:28:14 AM
It all depends on the person actually. I've met 19 year olds who were more mature than most women over 40. I've talked to women from all kinds of ages and it really depends on the person.

I guess you can say I'm kind of lucky to have found a friend around my age (she's 31) and we get along great. Same interests, same thinking, same uniqueness. Sometimes you really need to dig down and message the ones you don't expect to reply back :).
 coderedjulia1
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/25/2012 5:00:27 PM
What cracks me up is say a 27 year old man has an age limit to dating. Ages between 22-29 is acceptable. Why is it ok to date someone 5 years younger, but not 5 years older? haha
 gaiaisnotthesameasvenus
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/26/2012 3:52:39 AM
I'd prefer an older man, personally.

The only problem I have with age gaps is when I see a 40 year old man seeking somebody as young as 20, as I have a daughter that age and I'd be worried he may try to harm her.

And yes, discrimination is terrible and I have experienced it myself, and I am only 38. This happens. And why some 55 year old man want to have more children beyond what he has, has nothing to do with being a father, but it has everything to do with getting an impressionable young woman as a trophy for his moribidly obese ego.
 coderedjulia1
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/26/2012 8:30:05 AM
I'm reading some of these posts, and I noticed that as some people get older, they prefer to date younger folk. I'm thinking the reason behind this is cause they want to feel young again. They are scared of getting older, and they want to clutch on to their youth as much as possible so they date younger people. I really like to stay in my age gap. And it will stay that way as I get older.
 coderedjulia1
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/26/2012 3:29:08 PM
Well, not every guy in their 30s has a child. I'm 29, and I have noticed that I have been getting more messages from guys in their 30s now, rather than 20s. Lots of them very attractive, and they don't look old. No children, ex wives and a good job. Maybe you should move to Texas..lol And btw, I meant like men in their 50s chasing after a 20 year old in a skirt. 30 is not old at all.
 coderedjulia1
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/26/2012 4:00:22 PM
Nope, not a lot of Nascar and mullets. At least where I live, everyone is pretty normal.
 Darkbutcomely
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/26/2012 10:13:56 PM

While most of them look good for there age but no matter what they wont pass for someone 15 years younger. I bet women see same things on the guys profiles. So if we feel younger and look younger that means we should date younger ..

I think I look every day of 46. I am often shocked when people think I am younger.
 Capn_America
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/27/2012 6:44:43 AM

I think I look every day of 46. I am often shocked when people think I am younger

Me thinks you need glasses (maybe you are really 46 ). You actually look in your 20s, if the pictures are any judge. But you have the benefit of the doubt, because a picture cant really capture a person as much as real life
 lock81
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/27/2012 8:33:48 PM
You do look younger than your age and fine looking . Answering the thread: I don't discriminate against my age group. Normally in my dating life I've been with women that is either in my age group or older. I once step outside the box and dated a young woman that was 20 years old but there wasn't any chemistry that can bound the two of us. We decided to move on with our life.

If she ain't old enough to be my mom, that mean she is young enough for me .
 Silver_Sparks
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/27/2012 9:10:55 PM
What can I say?....I find grey hair and laugh lines attractive!

Yes, I do have age restrictions posted on my profile.
Why?...because I'm not interested in dating within my age group or below.
Among other things, it's simply one of my preferences.
If I could block welfare recipients or those who lost their license for DUI, I would !

I don't think I'm "superior" or "special" or have "daddy" issues.
I'm just not interested in dating someone who mistakes John Lennon for Harry Potter.

damsel19
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/27/2012 9:11:11 PM
Older women these days prefer younger men more and more as they get fit and dont look their age in a lot of cases. Men have always preferred younger women and want them even they are not looking to breed. No one likes looking and getting old, lets face it.
 02hdf150
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/31/2012 4:07:55 AM
I'm 45 and my date range is 5 years younger and 5 years older. For me i've always been attracted to older women and I feel more comfortable in the relationship. To put things in perspective, I have a co-worker who is 30. I'd never date her btw. When the news about Davey Jones passing away came out, she asked me who he was when I told her he was with a group called the Monkees, she said she never heard of them.
Boy did that make me feel old. At least i'd like to date a women who know's who shot JR!
 domestic_bliss_number6
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/31/2012 9:59:54 AM
I generally try to stay within my age range, the thought of doing some old guys old and wrinkly penis grosses me out. The thought of dating a teenager disgusts me and makes me feel like a child molester. Gross again!

Just my opinion but I sure as heck wont date or have sex with a man my fathers age or a child out of high school . Not thanks I will pass on any of that. Nasty!
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/31/2012 2:11:22 PM
I like dating people my own age, but am not opposed to dating younger or older if the attraction and mutual interests exist. I have dated men from 25-55 but the ones I have the most in common with are my age to about 5 years younger.
 excessivemayhem
Msg: 43
Posted: 4/3/2012 8:43:43 PM
i dated someone much younger...and i will NEVER do that again. i much prefer someone older than 28, thank you very much.
 Capn_America
Msg: 44
Posted: 4/4/2012 5:13:39 AM

I generally try to stay within my age range, the thought of doing some old guys old and wrinkly penis grosses me out. The thought of dating a teenager disgusts me and makes me feel like a child molester. Gross again!

Same here. Well, except the old wrinkly penis part
 dinno76
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/15/2015 3:01:00 PM
people usually prefer dating younger .
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2015 9:40:15 PM
dinno76 astounded us with his brilliance:
people usually prefer dating younger
Uh, just how does that work? Wouldn't one of the dating parties have to be older? So, does your premise only hold true for the one asking; or, is it just assumed that one person is always gonna be disappointed. I'm so confused!

TK
 bamagrl68
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/15/2015 10:27:42 PM
igorfrankensteen- You are saying something that most people want to deny.
Motive one speaks to those who see themselves in others, but so does motive two.
But, then again, we are all motivated by different things and who knows what COULD happen if we turned to someone younger or older, who by society's standards, are too old or too young.
And yet, do those who truly belong in category one or two, know they belong there?
If they did, would they still repeat history?
All I know is that good conversation is a must for me and though we might both have been born right here in the good old US-of A, if there are serious generational differences, even though we both talk the same, we might not speak the same language.
Does that makes any sense at all? I hope it does.
 Where_Is_My_Muse
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/4/2015 5:18:12 PM
I tend to find women around my age oft cranky and out-of-touch with things... and I get the impression that they don't like me. I don't know why. I'm a pretty easy going guy.

In the past few years, I've ended up dating a good bit younger. My last girlfriend was 23. When I'm out-and-about that's about the age range that flirts with me, college age up to around thirty or so.

On online dating it's weird, the only women who hit on me are in their mid-fourties and up. They're not usually my type and I'm pretty sure I'm not theirs, but it doesn't stop them. LOL.
 MasterOfReality84
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/4/2015 9:19:24 PM
I think we men go for the fresher meat, it's like a preservation mechanism, young = better chances of procreating... Just like women prefer the alpha male, it's nature, you get old and make room for the young.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/5/2015 5:49:53 PM
^^^^^ Men don’t get old?

Following your “animal” theory, the “better chances of procreating” would be with young, healthy spermed men. “Alpha,” my azz.

And of course everyone dates to “procreate.” SMH
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Prejudice and indifference against dating one's own age?