Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Handsome and well groomed but      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 --Zen--
Msg: 26
Handsome and well groomed butPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
"tic-tac?", "gum?", "Oxyclean and a brush?" , "Are you using shit for toothpaste?" You know, try some subtle hints.

it could be a hormonal thing that your senses are telling you to not go further with him. we're still animals and scent is very important and also a major part of attraction which is mostly on the subconscious level.
There are no apocrine sweat glands in the mouth or any kind of sweat glands for that matter. Being repelled by decay isn't part of attraction, it's just limited inclination for necrophilia.

Simple solution?
Take the Listerine pak out of your purse and spray it into your mouth, then offer to spray it into your dates mouth. No good-natured date will refuse, especially if you hint that you'd like to get closer or are thinking about sharing a kiss later.
It's kinda intimate and it WORKS.

Well you're not gonna be here long and for good reasons.
 russell5417
Msg: 27
Handsome and well groomed but
Posted: 3/12/2012 2:06:42 AM
Give him a gift certificate to see a dentist.

Can you picture yourself having sex with him?
 AmberJoye
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/12/2012 11:49:19 AM
OMG! i was eating my oatmeal this morning while reading your reply and i laughed SO hard i almost choked!!!
 AmberJoye
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/12/2012 11:59:57 AM
WHOA...was this guy African American by any chance? When out with the one i was with, he had on a 3 piece suit, really nice tie and shoes. He was polite, and not stuck on himself. BUT....when he opened his mouth i thought someone opened a cesspool cover in the place Since it was the first encounter i gave him the benifit of the doubt because i really liked him.
EVERYTIME after that, it was the same. Turns out he never goes to the dentist and has really bad gingivitus (gum rot) and all kinds of stomach trouble.
No surprise there since i found out he's a gambling addict thus no money for the dentist and since he's always being sought after by bill collecters and having other woman find out his secret addiction, thus the stomach troubles!
When i smell bad breath, it's like a warning....i smell a RAT!
 Bishopboat
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/12/2012 12:16:32 PM
I'd give the guy another chanse... You never know sometimes, was probly just an off time for him.
 AmberJoye
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/12/2012 12:16:44 PM
Maybe it is something he ate
One time when I worked downtown Denver..a coworker and I went to eat at this Indian restaurant..my first time eating Indian food..Well I kept smelling this unpleasant smell after we ate the meal..so we get back to work and Im like omg what is that smell..I roll my chair back and the smell followed me..I was like OMG its me..so I had to run down to walgreens and get me some febreeze and spray myself...

THIS is the post i laughed so hard about.
 OneGodfather
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/12/2012 12:22:26 PM

WHOA...was this guy African American by any chance? When out with the one i was with, he had on a 3 piece suit, really nice tie and shoes. He was polite, and not stuck on himself. BUT....when he opened his mouth i thought someone opened a cesspool cover in the place Since it was the first encounter i gave him the benifit of the doubt because i really liked him.
EVERYTIME after that, it was the same. Turns out he never goes to the dentist and has really bad gingivitus (gum rot) and all kinds of stomach trouble.
No surprise there since i found out he's a gambling addict thus no money for the dentist and since he's always being sought after by bill collecters and having other woman find out his secret addiction, thus the stomach troubles!
When i smell bad breath, it's like a warning....i smell a RAT
Wow, and you had to bring in the African American part because????? And you found out all this after a few dates? you're in the wrong profession.... Rockford move over.

Can I give you a tip here? doesn't matter what the race/ethnicity is ,someone who for what ever reason forgoes hygiene is a not a person you want to associate with, you will find all races/ethnicity has folks with poor hygiene habits.

Feel what Im laying down?
 colt8301
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/12/2012 2:02:02 PM

But when we set down to chat his breath was so bad I just wanted to get up and walk away. It was very difficult to stay and finish my coffee.
He expressed an interest in getting together again, but I'm not sure how to handle this.
I would feel really bad just telling him why I would choose not to go out, but other than this he was really a nice guy.

LOooooL!!!!!^^^^^^^^
 Big_fun_wave
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/12/2012 3:36:42 PM
That's disgusting and unacceptable! Just like a strong body odor. With breath spray's, mints, gum and oral treatments for halitosis, there's no excuse nowadays. Same goes for bo. If someone expects others to be accepting of these disgusting trait's there unrealistic.
 Dr.Z2008
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 4:40:19 PM
If he don't ask me for another date,I would not say a thing to him.On the flip side of the coin...Lying is not cool,so that being said if he ask me why?I'll be as honest,authentic and direct,and I will let him know exactly why,as simple as that..Doc
 Anna_Bolina
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/11/2012 9:57:07 PM
Yeah, no. I definitely don't think I would be able to see a person again who's breath was so raunchy it could gag a maggot.
 Choporis
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/11/2012 10:53:31 PM
Oh wow! I am glad I am not the only one that had this kind of experience!
I had been with people that I definitely feel attracted to, but their breath just KILLED it; it's not bad hygiene, most likely it's something wrong with their digestive system.
My solution is if they are friends, I would tell them they have "strong breath", but never say "bad breath".
More subtle way to make the point across is to offer them a piece of gum. Or even suggest them to try out a mouth wash that you use.
 nubeginnings64
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/12/2012 8:10:24 AM
I'm a smoker & always have gum or mints Ran to this a few times & while popping it in my mouth offered to her. Made comments like how rude it is to talk directly in peoples faces while having stinky breath & such most always gets an acceptance.
 lleckey1980
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/12/2012 2:00:12 PM
I had the same problem! ewwww!!!!!!!!!!
 sactowndude
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/12/2012 5:36:16 PM
This is why I always carry Tic-Tacs with me, nothing worse than stinky breath.
 dmzvisitor
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/12/2012 7:22:30 PM
Definitely tell him as just an act of human kindness--halitosis can be a sign of a serious medical issue and he needs to have it checked out.

If he is mature, he will very much appreciate you having the guts to say it. You can email, "I thought you were very attractive and good company. But--and this is hard to say-- I think you need to see your dentist and/or doctor because your breath had a very unpleasnt smell/odor, which could indicate a serious dental or health problem. Please take care of yourself and get in touch to let me know the results!" His response will definitely indicate if he is the type of guy you would really want to see more of. He may have an explanation already, he may disappear altogether, or he may disappear for a bit and then get back to you saying, "Thanks; I took your advice and. . ." Regardless of his response, you have done a good deed and you can always block him if he gets ugly about it!

Edit: oh, geez, old thread. I usually check before posting!
 heypretty
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/12/2012 7:28:17 PM
you just need to be honest with yourself...do you like him without the breath? lol i just smelled my own breath lol
 HappinessOK
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/13/2012 9:00:04 AM
I didnt know I had bad breath because no one told me.... wish they had! I happened to have had gum desease which was under my crown ..it was only when I started having problems with my crown and it fell off that I smelled and tasted the acute smell of gum desease ... it has cost me $3000 to fix my bad breath but Im glad that I did!

Go out with him again...get close to him then TELL him he has a problem..
 Anywherbuthere
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/13/2012 9:27:53 AM
I'd want to know if were me. I wouldn't be offended by your telling me unless a scene was being made. If the shoe were on the other foot I'd find a way to let that person know...hey your breath? What's going on there?
 happy_in_pink
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/13/2012 9:29:39 AM
I had the same experience about a month ago. I thought to myself, "How hard is it to brush your teeth before a date?"

He called and asked me out again. He asked me to wear jeans instead of a sun dress. I told him that it's 103 degrees outside and I wanted to dress comfortable.

Between the bad breath and the controll issues I never went out with him again.

I would pass on Mr. Bad Breath.

Good Luck
 Janet_Always
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/13/2012 9:49:31 AM
There are some real health issues that can cause bad breath, and if it's an ongoing issue with him he probably needs to see a doctor.

As for you?

If I were meeting someone for the first time, I'm not sure I'd want to be the one to reveal that info... I don't know, maybe I would... it hasn't happened, so I'm not sure.

If you have the guts to let him know, I say go for it. You'll probably not see him either way, but at least he'll maybe seek out some answers to his problem.
 helloitssimplyme
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/13/2012 12:28:04 PM
If I eat garlic ,no one wants to be around me and I don't blame them . He might have just eaten something that caused the bad breath ,nice guys are hard to come by, give it another try . JUST BRING BREATH SPRAY ,MINTS , and a CLOTHES PIN just in case .lol!!!
 pescando75
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/13/2012 1:14:26 PM
There is, "oh, you certainly had a lot of garlic for lunch" types of bad breath, and then there is that "funk," the origins of which you cannot and do not care to identify. Bad hygiene or a sewer backup. Yum.

I am utterly SHOCKED at the number of "give him a tic-tac and try again" responses! SHOCKED! (And why the hell can't I get a date?! ha ha!) Reminds me of the Adam Sandler movie "Big Daddy" where he lays newspapers over all of the kid's messes. Really? A bad funk will be back as soon as that tic-tac is dissolved. "Oooh. Have another. And another. Here..just take the pack!!" LOL!

Sorry, breath is a HUGE dealbreaker for me.
 Englishlady1
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/13/2012 9:09:44 PM
i WOULD JUST TELL HIM HE HAS BAD BREATH!! ITS A SIMPLE AS THAT!!
 Englishlady1
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/13/2012 9:10:05 PM
i WOULD JUST TELL HIM HE HAS BAD BREATH!! ITS A SIMPLE AS THAT!!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Handsome and well groomed but