Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS H      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Rotifunk
Msg: 701
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments herePage 29 of 62    (22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62)
A humble suggestion is to simply declare the website POF a PAID platform and then decisively take giant steps in that direction. Organically chipping off features here and there may not yeild the dividend that you seek. Americansingles was a free featured website, but then they decisively made that switch with a window , substantive enough to give its subscribers time to make up their minds, to either stay or move on.
POF should consider and probably do the same. Methinks!
 mrbd1979
Msg: 702
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature
Posted: 3/13/2012 6:36:18 PM
Honestly I think it's time as a society to logoff meet people the good old fashion way these days.I've been on here a few time and after a while ya realize sometimes it's just easier to go out and meet real people then it is to try and find your "soulmate" off a online dating site. We depend to much on technology to try and find love these days..we should just all do it like they did before POF and E-Harmony and Match...Blast me if ya wanna but deep down..It's not about people being cheap..I have the money if I wanted to..but we have let these people profit off of us to try and fine pure happiness...and that's where I think it's wrong.
 ItalianGemini
Msg: 703
view profile
History
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/13/2012 6:37:56 PM
POF quote "Remember that we are the largest 100% free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate."

Total BS, this site is going down the toilet fast.....it's all about greed and nothing to do with find your soulmate!
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 704
Posted: 3/13/2012 6:39:18 PM
Seems to me what I would do after 10 years of dealing with 10 million mostly irascible people online and all those endless gripes,
would be to spiffy up the business model to a clear high-profit future potential, then market it out to investor groups for about 100 million or so cash...

Then take myself and my girlfriend/wife on many around the world cruises on my newly bought yacht, and never have those worries about server outages, South American hackers or fake picture ambulance chaser lawsuits evermore...
 poodiddles
Msg: 705
Posted: 3/13/2012 6:44:18 PM
This is complete and total GARBAGE. Now, not only does have a better site design but they also have more free features! How many pages of replies does this thread need to actually be heard? This site would be smart to listen it's members.
 hedpe13
Msg: 706
Posted: 3/13/2012 6:44:56 PM
Give it time people. This site will fail and then we will be back to square one. I bet about 30,000 users already deleted their profiles when they saw that upgrade BS to "view me"...Other free sites are out there, just have to "google" them :)
 Vivek_Golikeri
Msg: 707
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 6:53:54 PM
Let's start boycotting Plenty of Fish. Also, get users emailing POF advertisers en masse, saying we're leaving if this constant racheting up of charging for features keeps up. Facebook tried to go charging, and users raised a mass stink. Facebook backed off.

There are far better sites. Free is okay, but I'm not paying to stay on this inferior site.
 mclovin_14u
Msg: 708
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/13/2012 6:58:04 PM
Short of everyone who posted leaving this site and everyone who leaves taking about 10,000 people with them they aren't going to give a fiz uck.

The best thing you can do is if you are outraged don't give them a dime, speak with your wallet and don't let yourself be viewed so people who paid are just as out as everyone else, go into mail setting and set allow others to see you viewed their profile to NO. If you don't like their cooking don't eat it...find another good free site, there are a few out there mentioned several times here and delete your profile. I'm not there yet, hoping I might here back from a straggler but I wont be using this site much and when I get settled on another site I will probably turn the lights out. If I'm paying there are WAY better sites for the money, and the money is not the issue. Free Online Dating at the top of this banner is the issue....and for years of telling us how they were different when now they are just like the rest... PRINCIPLES!!!!!!

bethesdafoodie
Msg: 709
Posted: 3/13/2012 7:09:37 PM
It's pretty simple, if it's an Add on that implies a new feature. You're taking previously FREE features and making them pay to use.

Our problem isn't with the removal of the feature persay, it's with the utter lack of communication leading up to the removal of the feature.

Why is there no features coming soon thread? I've seen terrible corporations with better customer support and communication than POF has displayed.

Our problem is the censorship that's going on and the complete lack of response on the part of POF management, either you care or you don't care but don't string us along and actually respond to us, your user base.

The thing is this thread is only proof that the "Moderators" have seen our threads and outcries, not that the POF owners have seen or even responded in any meaningful way.

Being an owner means engaging your user base, not sitting back and raking in the money, I've met fortune 500 CEO's with more active roles in their companies that spend twice as much time as Markus does a week to ensure their user base is getting treated fairly.

You advertise as a 100% free website, you started this site with the mission to stay free, and all of a sudden you want to pull 100% of your advertisements?

I hope you change your mind and realize the errors you've made and actually own your mistakes instead of just brushing them under the rug. But barring that and assuming you do what I think you guys will do which is to ignore your user base, I hope your advertisers pull their support and your subscription based model doesn't work out.

If we can't get you to actually listen and respond to us, the only way to influence your future decision making is to hit POF and any companies related to POF in the wallet.

This is not a threat, this is a plea to the Moderators to pass along our concerns and to the owner(s) to be ACTIVE in your community instead of just having moderators that can't actually respond in any official capacity.

As stated earlier, as moderators we do not have any better tools to take your complaints to admin than you do. As members you'd each do better to contact admin directly than to hope one single message from me would make a difference.

http://www.change.org/petitions/plentyoffish-media-inc-to-stand-by-pof-s-original-intent-to-be-100-free

I started the petition that now has over 150 signatures in less than 24 hours, and as you can see there aren't just 150 upset people, but the petition states very plainly WHY we're upset.

To all the shills saying it's still "Free" to do basic things, I have to ask for how long? There would be absolutely no incentive to offer any free services other than basic trial usage if there are zero advertisements in place.

Having a user base that doesn't generate any revenue is pointless and POF will either remove features or make being a "free" user untenable.

Even this thread is proof of the disconnect between the site owner(s),moderators, and user base. The thread allows us a place to funnel our feedback but it's like talking to a brick wall, there's no discussion taking place and we're just voicing our frustration and don't even know if you're listening.

So to recap: It isn't about the viewed me feature and whether or not we used it, it's about the COMMUNICATION between the owners and the user-base.

I frequent over two dozen forums and every one of them has volunteer Moderators that will go to the owners to get a response and then RELAY it to the user base, it isn't a novel concept and it's standard customer service.

Have you at POF learned nothing from fiascos like Netflix and Bank of America?

Are we ever going to get an actual response other than the line that moderators don't know what's going on?

Is this post even going to get read and responded to or is it going to be like typical POF fashion and go unread/deleted like a lot of females like to do?

Markus, we love the site, otherwise we wouldn't be here. But you're kind of going against everything you've stated and everything that is advertised.

What do you see when you google Plenty of Fish?

POF.com ™ The Leading Free Online Dating Site for Singles ...
www.pof.com/
Free online dating and matchmaking service for singles. 2000000 Daily Active Online Dating Users.

Maybe it should be updated to say Free EXCEPT for certain features, you've certainly promoted POF as being different from all the other pay to date sites, now show us that it's true and not just ad lingo.

Any ETA of when we can expect an official response? Or am I going to get nuked for stating what a lot of other people are thinking?
 BetterBreed
Msg: 710
Posted: 3/13/2012 7:11:26 PM
And I guess the message that POF is getting from this outpouring of disgust and disappointment is "Please Charge Us More Because We REALLY like That!"

Pull those Hundred Dollar Bills out of your ears and LISTEN to your customers...before you don't have any left...None of us mind seeing the Ads and they make you a pretty penny.

If it ain't Broke...Don't Fix it!
 DrGeek
Msg: 711
Posted: 3/13/2012 7:11:52 PM
I guess Lady GaGa finally sent PoF the hefty bill for advertising in her music video
 mister_hd
Msg: 712
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 7:17:06 PM
another attempt to squeeze money out of free users and another step to a paying site. i'll pass
 steve17216
Msg: 713
Posted: 3/13/2012 7:17:27 PM

For a site that used to pride itself on being free, it sure it sinking fast.
 spencer980
Msg: 714
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 7:19:53 PM
I will be using a lot more than I do now. I already hardly check this thing because I've been seeing how the owners are starting to charge for things. So I will be not getting on here as much and eventually as I'm sure I won't use this anymore. Goodbye.

For everyones response being "they get more profiles a day so who cares?" I say. The few outweigh the many. How long before messages require a subscription or till you can even log on? I say it won't be long.
 wilmaciii
Msg: 715
Posted: 3/13/2012 7:22:06 PM
yeah, I think I'm gone, this sites offically a scam to me.
 Garnets1
Msg: 716
Posted: 3/13/2012 7:27:31 PM
I just joined datehookup and it's all free. Didn't take long, I feel freedom already...
I'm staying here for a bit to read the forums.
 WilliamofBaskerville
Msg: 717
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 7:29:13 PM
This site hasn't been a productive use of time for me. I could list a number of reasons but that's mostly due to how online dating works for me in general. But it is or maybe was free* so no big deal.

As more and more of POF becomes pay-for the more pointless it becomes. Eventually it will be like the pay-for sites out there where you have to pay to read a message from a spammer or a bot. ** POF, like ok-cupid is remarkably free of bots and such which seem to abound on pay-for sites and even semi-free sites like POF's twin, Evow. As POF becomes semi-free to even pay-for I expect the bot/spam/fake density to increase.

Why? Because it is in a pay for site's best interest to create bots and not delete the bots/spam/whatever accounts of others when it's pay for. Too many people will pay to see what that beautiful looking person wrote them or will pay to read the email only to find out its spam. But hey they've paid and the money is in and the credit card rebilling that is unstoppable.

A free site has the motivation to kill the spammers and bots because they drive people away and without people visiting the site doesn't make money.

Or be like some sites that demand a credit card number for a 'free trial' and then are impossible to cancel. Of course well timed after a notification that so-and-so is interested in you because of the free weekend profile you neglected to delete ;)

I won't miss POF if it becomes pay for, like I said, it hasn't been particularly useful for me. Perhaps they'll get someone to pay for subscription and make up for the lost view count money.

*I'll find out next time (if there is one) I try to write someone or reply
**There aren't too many features left that aren't behind the pay wall now.
 jk2015
Msg: 718
Posted: 3/13/2012 7:44:29 PM
i agree with you all but i wanna put my 2 cents in but hate to say it that no matter how much we complain about it and how many people will the who viewed me will not go back to free its been days sence this has happned if it was going to happen it would have happened by now its crapy but thats how its going to be.. i'll hang out on here for alittle while longer its wishful thinking that things will get back to how they once were but im not going to bet on it. im just waiting for my matches/chat/read send message to become pay to use
 venus_flysnapper
Msg: 719
Posted: 3/13/2012 7:48:44 PM
Ahhh <3 I have nothing more to add as bethesdafoodie said it all perfectly! I'm disturbed that I had a free option for a year and now it's removed and made a pay feature.
 venus_flysnapper
Msg: 720
Posted: 3/13/2012 7:51:24 PM
Oh, and please remove the "100% free" falsity. It's untrue by approximately 50% as there are more pay features than just the "viewed me" option.
 lcof
Msg: 721
view profile
History
 Hankerford51
Msg: 722
Posted: 3/13/2012 7:53:35 PM
Just a thought; could it be that POF is trying to recoup funds for litigation where they were involved in posting information about the Army member who had died? Just a thought.
 insomniaisgreat
Msg: 723
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 7:57:53 PM
I noticed this today, and am absolutely shattered. This was one of the best features on the site because you could see who checked you out and if you also liked them you could email them, and now it is gone??
WHY??? I have been a member of this site since 2007, and hate the fact that you are now asking for us to be paid members when even when a paid member (i have met a couple of guys who are paid members) you don't get anything for your money, and it is still the same riff raff (don't mean to offend including myself here) you can contact/meet.
GIVE US BACK OUR VIEWED ME !!!!
 Garnets1
Msg: 724
Posted: 3/13/2012 8:06:52 PM
I mentioned I joined datehookup...you can see if your message has been read, who views you and when, how far they are from you and lots more, everything we have to pay for here, is free there....the ok cupid one won't acknowledge my town or the one beside it so why join when I can't even list my own town?

It won't be long until this is a paid site...I'm only staying a bit longer, for the forums.
 Quint-essential
Msg: 725
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 8:13:18 PM
(archived from 2005 website page)
Why?
My name is Markus Frind and I created plentyoffish.com. I created this dating site because I was sick of seeing faceless corporations prey on people looking for love. In my mind finding love is not about handing over a monthly fee to some dating site that only cares about making sure you stay another month to pay them again.
We are Different
Plentyoffish.com is a 100% FREE online dating site and constantly changing based on your feedback, and you will notice everything on this online dating site is done so that you can meet people you have personally selected, and you can do it quickly. For example, we are the only major dating site that allows users to block messages from whole groups of other users they aren't interested in. No other dating site would do this as more individual contacts means more money.
Money? Who Cares
I am well aware that Plentyoffish.com could make millions of dollars per month as a subscription service. I couldn’t care less about how much money Plentyoffish.com could make; this site is different. This site wasn't created to mine user’s pocketbooks. Plentyoffish.com is here to make a difference and help people find "the one".

Not true to your word Markus
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE