Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS H      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 2SoloPilot
Msg: 51
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments herePage 3 of 62    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
Ron: You mean by driving away 99% of the users?
 thatnickguy
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:31:44 PM
I strongly agree that this is a bad Idea business wise. You have a product that is picking up momentum and has the potential to be great and put other companies to shame and instead you turn it into yesterdays news by doing something like this. Now someone is going to build a site that mimics this and turn it into the next facebook. Unfortunately now POF will become a thing of the past much like it's CEO's dreams of being ever thought of as a smart man.
 mikep3316
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:31:53 PM
i think its dumb to have to pay to see who is looking at u, there is enough you have to pay for already. besides ads bring in more money. put it back!!
 OneGodfather
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:32:03 PM
I dont see the big deal that he is charging to see who views you, who cares ? lets be real 90% of them views you once, and that not including people who hide the fact they can view you

Personally Its not a big deal to me because I dont care who views me, plus if they view you and dont talk to you what is the point?

Marcus if go public let me know so I can get in on the IPO please.
 RonB630
Msg: 55
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:32:08 PM
Ha! That's right...
 SerendipityRose16
Msg: 56
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:32:29 PM
I just changed my settings so that NO ONE can see if I viewed their profile. So now all those people paying aren't going to see shit!

RIDICULOUS! I can't say enough what a bad decision this was. I've been on and off POF since 2008 and this is by far the stupidest thing you have EVER done!

Take away the video chat option...I'm sure that's expensive to run. Give us back the free "viewed me".
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 57
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:33:04 PM

I dont see the big deal that he is charging to see who views you, who cares ? lets be real 90% of them views you once, and that not including people who hide the fact they can view you

Personally Its not a big deal to me because I dont care who views me, plus if they view you and dont talk to you what is the point?

Marcus if go public let me know so I can get in on the IPO please.

+1
 zenkermit
Msg: 58
 Blazer_LT
Msg: 59
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:33:24 PM
This was was not that great to start with. There are a couple of rules that are rediculous ie: Telling folks it's ok to ignore a message if you don't like the profile, while viewing a person in stealth mode.. That''s bad enough. NOW, you want us to pay to see who looked at our profile.. Get with times Markus, you said this is free !!

Disgruntled !!
 Tri-Us
Msg: 60
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:34:49 PM
Man! when we ask for an advance option of blocking someone for not seeing our profile beside chat/messages.

WE DID NOT SAY REMOVE THE VIEW ME NOW ....DUH!
 mikep3316
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:35:18 PM
it still works on the mobile app.. go there till the screw us there also
 Soulm8seeker444
Msg: 62
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:35:59 PM
I wasn't thrilled to discover the feature went away for us non paying members, but on the flip side perhaps it will gently push those who admire from afar to actually make contact... Glass half full? Oh, and if you happen to view my profile drop me a line to say you were there - Even if you don't think we're a match... It would certainly make me chuckle! Fight the Power! LOL!
 curtis053
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:36:26 PM
Viwed me feature being charged for is ridiculous.. The response for this charge is to help make POF free of advertising.. I think this is not a true statement. Ads have never bothered me in the least.. because this site (WAS) free is ashame.. I have referred more than a 100 people to this site, touting how great it was and now to be subjected to this feature being removed along with others i have seen go to the wayside.. i am saddened to say the least........A real shame..
 the_nation7
Msg: 64
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:37:47 PM
It's simple. If you are going to charge users for features, change your slogan from "Free Online Dating" to something else.

Otherwise, it is false advertising and should be treated as such.
 michaelscupcake
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:39:20 PM
I absolutely agree...this was the ultimate icebreaker, i.e, "hello, I noticed you viewed me and....". All you really had to do was spend a few minutes viewing profiles and then people would just naturally message. I think people in general will now send and receive fewer messages. Also, who would want to be upgrade and be branded with the "yellow dot of desperation"? I don't know about you but I had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM with advertisements as long as it meant keeping the site free. By the way, there will be a very easy way of seeing if people will agree with this new charge. If this is successful, in the next few days we should see a proliferation of upgraded/yellow dot memberships. Does anyone actually think this will happen? Hopefully, if enough of us complain they may back down off this change.
 verysane
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:40:15 PM
Viewed me a paid feature SO THAT YOU CAN GET RID OF ADS? That's just an excuse and you know it! Ads are fine. Bring back this feature, or I'm (as will many people be) gone elsewhere.
 joey746
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:40:38 PM
Stupid move....wait n see how many people leave this sit altogether! I for one will be gone very soon unless a change is made!
 cp101
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:43:23 PM
It would almost be impossible to get rid of ads...even Match.com uses ads. If you're asking people to pay for this site...good luck. If I have to pay, I might as well go to a different site.
 Beauregard73
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:44:22 PM
Agreed. Shady move. Won't be here much longer.
 JamesSlice81
Msg: 70
 DoubleRainbow
Msg: 71
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:46:22 PM

Guess it's time to go back to
 OneGodfather
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:46:24 PM
I'll bet most of you will leave and come back to this site, look... things happen as my New York Italian friends say " fuggedaboutit" .

Its not like most of you were taking advantage of who is viewing you anyways?
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 73
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:46:54 PM

I absolutely agree...this was the ultimate icebreaker, i.e, "hello, I noticed you viewed me and....". All you really had to do was spend a few minutes viewing profiles and then people would just naturally message.

This is why I turned off the feature - to stop people from thinking my viewing profiles meant something. If I'm OK with someone messaging me, I'll add them to my favorites. Viewed me isn't necessary to keep correspondence going...
 michaelscupcake
Msg: 74
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:47:27 PM
About - (archived from 2005 website page)
Why?
My name is Markus Frind and I created plentyoffish.com. I created this dating site because I was sick of seeing faceless corporations prey on people looking for love. In my mind finding love is not about handing over a monthly fee to some dating site that only cares about making sure you stay another month to pay them again.
We are Different
Plentyoffish.com is a 100% FREE online dating site and constantly changing based on your feedback, and you will notice everything on this online dating site is done so that you can meet people you have personally selected, and you can do it quickly. For example, we are the only major dating site that allows users to block messages from whole groups of other users they aren't interested in. No other dating site would do this as more individual contacts means more money.
Money? Who Cares
I am well aware that Plentyoffish.com could make millions of dollars per month as a subscription service. I couldn’t care less about how much money Plentyoffish.com could make; this site is different. This site wasn't created to mine user’s pocketbooks. Plentyoffish.com is here to make a difference and help people find "the one".
 DoubleRainbow
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:47:40 PM

Guess it's time to go back to ok cupid
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE