Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS H      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CarterScott21257
Msg: 776
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments herePage 32 of 62    (22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62)
The "who viewed me" was a valuable tool to see who you should respond to. I for one would gladly trade the "my matches" for the "viewed me" feature. The latter is a far better indicator of who may be interested in talking to you. Thanks.
 musicman1257
Msg: 777
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/14/2012 11:53:44 AM
I have been a POF member for several years and truly believe this is a HUGE mistake by them. Their are things that separate POF from the other sites...being free and being a quality site typically don't go hand in hand but, they pulled it off. Until now...BAD MOVE, GUYS
 fall_blossom
Msg: 778
Posted: 3/14/2012 12:00:52 PM
who viewed me - is not a good feature anyway... looking does not mean interest.
I am not going to read all the posts, but I 100% agree with this and don't care who viewed me.

Lots of people are on stealth mode anyhow.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 779
view profile
History
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/14/2012 12:15:58 PM
Everyone who deletes their profile provides this:

1. Less wear and tear on the system and servers
2. A user base more skewed toward people willing to pay for dating (and I AGREE that's hooking!)
3. Less cheapskates for marketers to waste time on

The only loss is in the number of users new users get to choose from. But they get a wealthier, more free-spending field to graze.

Markus has his girlfriend and his tavel plans, and if he once was passionate about PoF that's worn off with time and an endless procession of whiny losers asking why their message didn't get a reply.

Seek passion elsewhere. Nobody will miss anyone who does. Markus has NEVER read user mail.
ED BEAR
 ctiffer
Msg: 780
Posted: 3/14/2012 12:28:07 PM
It is appreciated that someone has taken the time to respond to a possible issue. I'm just some random user and have not in my experience observed the "viewed me" feature exhibiting the behaviour that has been described by "FreakFLSTC". That said, at least from his description of the problem and his attempts to test it out, if he is being honest, it seems like there *might* be an issue.

I don't give two shits about the paid/unpaid viewed me issue that started this thread. I personally don't really care if people have seen I've viewed them or not.

Your possibility #1, user error, does immediately come to mind. It is quite possible he set his profile up wrong. That said, from his response, he seems to have done due diligence to make sure that wasn't the case. So he is either knowledgeable about most of the site but missed one crucial item or he is lying. I have no idea which is the truth.

Possibility #2 is far more alarming. I am a programmer and a computer science student. Specifically, my focus is computer security which is why his post immediately raised so many alarm bells for me due to the possible privacy violations. It is literally impossible that such an error would target just him specifically unless it was intentional. That said, it means that if there is an error, it just targets a small subset of users and has gone previously unnoticed or ignored. If that is the case, it needs to be fixed, because even just a few users' privacy being violated is not acceptable.

Did you really think option 2 was possible. As you state it is literally impossible that such an error would target just one user. If this was an actual issue, there would be other users reporting it in the help forum. Bottom line, this feature has been tested, and yes by myself and other moderators as well as by the POF programers and works fine but unfortunately there will always be the occasional user that suffers from "user error" and as a result will pass around false information. That being said, let's stay on topic please. The topic of this thread is the new changes to the viewed me option.

I have no idea what the truth is here. I don't know the guy suggesting the 'feature' didn't work nor do I know the moderator. I have no way to know if anyone is telling the truth here or not. All I know is that if what he is saying is indeed true, it is a serious trust and privacy issue. I just hope this will be looked into and decided definitively one way or another. Simply suggesting it might be user error or an error with just his account is not enough in my opinion.
 justafeeling4u
Msg: 781
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 12:28:11 PM
It sucks honestly.I would like to know if someone has viewed my profile and sometimes its a good idea as to how often someone has.And if they are interested. thsi is supposed to be a FREE site..the Advertisements weren't bothering me as all its not like they were popping up on the screen obscuring everything..VERY VERY VERY bad move on POF's side for doing this.
 KnightNChrome
Msg: 782
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 12:36:26 PM
If Im going to PAY for a site...its going to be for a better site than THIS!!!! My "matches" never match my interests...at least with the access to see who has viewed me, there was an initial interest from them for them to have clicked on my profile...even if it WAS only based on physical appearance...thats SOMETHING!

Other pay sites use SOME sort of formula in pairing people up with "matches" that may interest them.
 psmith1908
Msg: 783
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 12:42:58 PM
Unbelievable...first sent messages now profile views. So much for a 100% free site :(

I'm heading to or accentudate
 Modestan1234
Msg: 784
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:10:08 PM
I do appreciate all the free access I have had to viewed me up to this point.

I will not pay for this feature and my time onsite will fall off big time, no doubt.

It was a good ride thanks, pof.
 ng15bloke
Msg: 785
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:10:15 PM
A terrilbe terrible idea. POF change your mind about this. I came to this site because it was free. I will be leaving if you continue to make charges. I am giving you to the end of the month.
 marshfieldmale
Msg: 786
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:18:20 PM
One good thing about this change....

I likely won't be getting any more emails from females upset because I've viewed their profile.
 Modestan1234
Msg: 787
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:25:00 PM
I have seen a couple comments regarding grabbing all your contacts and moving them to another site.

That is probably the best thing you can do to fight back, steal their people and move em to another site!

It's OBV there's another FREE site out there with way better features and more fun, just not the same size user base, YET!!
 badenuff69
Msg: 788
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:25:18 PM
If no one buys the upgrade they will lose money, Im sure alot of people have left the site already or will be soon. Their advertisers are probably not happy, I suggest that you put DONT BUY THE UPGRADE in the headline space, if it catches on and everytime an admin or mod look they will see truly just how many people are pissed, not sure if they give a $#@T but they will care if they lose money...I miss viewed me, kinda gives you some sort of hope :)
 reprocessed
Msg: 789
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:25:58 PM
I will give this a few days and then I'm outta here.
 ng15bloke
Msg: 790
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:31:26 PM
I suggest that you put DONT BUY THE UPGRADE in the headline space,

done...now everyone do it....
 All4Fun50
Msg: 791
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:39:30 PM
I can't believe this will help attract "new user", and/or "not attract "new Advertisers"
I have enjoyed POF up until this money maneuver but now I am finding new sites.
BAD Business !!!!
 Thorrin
Msg: 792
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:41:09 PM
It's a safe bet that this site is entering a self destructive faze of operation. Having to pay for every push of a button or being restricted from information that was once a free service is a sure fire way of destroying any online company. Just take a good look at ALL the Negative responses. Advertisers also look at these things before deciding if it's worth the money to advertise with this site. Who ever made this decision to place this function as Premium knows nothing about running a site. What they know is just numbers. If you want to have your accountant run the show, you might as well shut down now. If you grow tired of doing your job, you might as well shut down now. If this site was sold to someone else and that person is looking to rip people off... You might as well shut down now to save yourself from a slide into total destruction. Simple fact of the matter is that people aren't happy with this move and they're willing to dump this site. So it boils down to a loose/loose for POF. If you want MORE, then you give More. You don't take away and expect More... That's just Stupid. That'll turn POF into POS in no time flat. Those with negative responses will be the first to leave this site. Ask your accountant how he's going to present this information as a selling point to potential advertisers. He/She can't... So POF went from this javascript:smilie(''), to this javascript:smilie('') and ended up with javascript:smilie(''), javascript:smilie(''), javascript:smilie('') and . Soon POF will be this javascript:smilie('') , this javascript:smilie(''), this javascript:smilie('') and then this javascript:smilie(''). So go ahead and ignore us and the complaints from those who Made what POF is today... Your loss. People like to see the Greedy fail miserably. We'll be all like this javascript:smilie('') when it happens. One last thing, this is for you. javascript:smilie('').
 cpn1337
Msg: 793
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:42:10 PM
yeah if you have POF on your phone, you can see who viewed you still lol
 korartiz
Msg: 794
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:56:21 PM
It would be cool to get a word from the head honcho on why the decision was made.
Even if they just elaborate on the "getting rid of the ads," claim.
 DJsHeart
Msg: 795
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:58:47 PM
I'm not sure that the viewed me feature will really cause too much of a problem if one's intentions are really to find someone compatible. Someone viewing you does not mean they are interested. Just means they wanted a better look at the very small thumbnail :)

Markus has a blog that some of you might be interested in, that could explain the changes, and why users leaving won't really impact his dating site(s).
http://plentyoffish.wordpress.com/

I do agree that taking away features from current users isn't very loyal to the ones that have used this site and been loyal to POF. This is the only site I use, and don't really want to run around creating profiles on all these other sites out there.

A better way to have done this, would of been to let the current users have the features they already have, and change the features for new users signing up. Eventually as people leave and new ones come, the site would be changed over without all the uproar and negativity that is now directed at POF.
The people here that think it was not a good business move (and maybe it wasn't) are reacting out of emotion. Markus is coming from a marketing & business decision. Calling him names and threatening him are not likely to make a difference.

Just sayin.....

For me, the site still works, and while I did use that feature - I agree, it was more of an ego stroke than anything else. Site still works where I can message someone if I want to and receive messages for free, and read profiles. The changes haven't effected my intentions for the site ;)

Good luck to all
 Saw2Dust
Msg: 796
Posted: 3/14/2012 2:04:18 PM
Down Hill !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Ozpium
Msg: 797
Posted: 3/14/2012 2:10:56 PM
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

The actual 'staff' of this website, that being the owners, consists of only a couple of people. These people do not care about you, if you think they are taking the time to read this thread then think again, it's just a move to milk it for as long as they can.

For all the people threatening to leave and boycott, it's time to make good on your claims and do so. I am adding the title "BOYCOTT POF BECOMING A PAID SITE" to the subject line of my profile, I suggest everyone else who cares to do so as well and spread the word. If we make a stand the people will be heard, this has been proven time and time again in recent years by laws being withdrawn because people publicly veto'd them on their Facebook, blogs and twitters.

This entire thread is redundant, no one is reading all of this except the moderators whose job it is to do so.

Make good on your threats and add this title to your profile subject and suggest your friends on here to do likewise. Stop using the site and stop giving them money until they change their ways.

To all those people that say this was a useless feature, it's just one of many other features that will become paid over time until POF has nickle and dimed you more then any other pay site could. Any intelligent person that uses this site can see where this is going, so please join my ban.

If you agree with this note then post a thumbs Down in your reply, change your subject title, let your friends know, then leave this site and cease all payments until they realize the mistake they are making.

Otherwise, have a lovely day, God Bless

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
 Tinkerjay
Msg: 798
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 2:21:33 PM
Really bad decision! Have read many comments and happen to agree with the negative ones. Many valid points have been raised and I think this decision will be the downfall of POF! Really can't see this decision working in their favour!
 bob10015
Msg: 799
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 2:22:58 PM
Nicely put!
 bob10015
Msg: 800
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 2:30:37 PM
Think you have hit the nail on the head - leaving as is for 'legacy' members is what other sites do (don' t just mean dating sites!) . makes sense and no negativity.

Suspect they have taken on a marketing moron - so suspect further Moneytisation I expect! But its their call so guess they can do what they like.....
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE