Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS H      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 willybilly52
Msg: 826
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments herePage 34 of 62    (22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62)
I think I might just start my OWN dating site and make it TRUELY free........but with ads!!!

LOL
 JACOBS QUEST
Msg: 827
view profile
History
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:41:22 AM
SINCE I COULD NOT CONTACT THE PROVIDERS OF THIS SITE. I DECIDED TO SAY WHAT NEEDS TO BE STATED HERE.

1) you can email admin directly at:csr@pof.com

2) or you can contact admin via his profile at: Bigfish

THIS IS SUPPOSE TO BE A FREE SITE AND AS TIME GOES ON THEY DECIDE TO REMOVE MORE AND MORE FEATURES AWAY FROM THE FREE SIDE AND THIS GIVES YOU ONLY THE CHOICES OF UPGRADING OR PUTTING UP WITH CHANGES OR QUITTING THE SITE. I TRULY BELIEVE QUITTING THE SITE WOULD GIVE THEM THE CORRECT MESSAGE. ADDING MORE FEATURES IF YOU BECOME A MEMBER IS EXPECTED BUT TAKING AWAY THE ORIGINAL FEATURES AND WHAT I THINK ARE BASICS OF THIS TYPE OF WEB BASED DISCOVERY IN DATING IS WRONG, THEY TOOK AWAY SEEING YOUR MESSAGE WAS READ BY THE MESSAGE-E AND NOW THE ABILITY TO VIEW WHO HAS VIEWED YOUR PROFILE. I THINK THE PROVIDERS NEED TO RETHINK THEIR ORIGINAL FORMULA FOR GETTING TO WHERE THEY ARE BY PEOPLE THAT STARTED TO TALK ABOUT THEM. I DO NOT WANT TO WASTE THE MONEY ON A DATING SITE THAT IS NOT A NECESSITY TO MEET SOMEONE, SOUNDS LIKE I'M CHEAP NOT SO. I HAVE PAID FOR A DATING SITE BEFORE AND FOUND OUT THEY WERE NOT BETTER THAN A FREE SITE THEY BASICALLY STILL DEPEND ON KISMET IF WAS MEANT TO BE IT SHALL BE.
 Shatteredciv
Msg: 828
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:54:43 AM
Sounds like a plan - making a 100% free site. If POF can do it, so can anyone else. I have a degree in Web Design and have administered various webpages myself. Database coding is out of my league however.
 BuggSuperstar
Msg: 829
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:54:58 AM
Why wreck a good thing? This site has always been full of bugs and wasn't worth a penny. The beauty of it was that it was free.

I don't think they realized that MANY people on here, like me, were very hesitant about online dating, but joined because it was free. Now people will include 10 other sites in their choices.

DOES FACEBOOK CHARGE MONEY? How rich is mark zutterberg!!!? Bring on the adds, you greedy sob's.
 darksilent
Msg: 830
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:58:19 AM
wow it sucks you got rid of the viewed me, that was one of teh things that made me feel good about myself is knowing that atleast woman did check me out, that boost made my day and im sure it does that to others, we should have to pay for that so please just keep the ads we like it free.
 Ken767
Msg: 831
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:12:53 AM
Either be a paid site or a free site but don't try to be both. If your going to be a paid site then I will cancel my membership. Just let us know what it is you want to do so we can go to another free site with all the features. POF got as big as it is by providing qualite service for free, YOUR GOING TO LOSE A LOT OF PEOPLE IF YOU KEEP THIS KINDA STUFF UP.........
 unfortunatelywed
Msg: 832
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:15:50 AM
Good Afternoon,
I am a fan and a user of POF for several years.
I have used both free and pay sites off and on for over 10 years now.
I have a suggestion about your new "Pay to Play or View" changes.
Why not offer "a la carte" ordering of specific features?
For example: $1-2 a month for "View Me", "Meet Me", "Ultra Match", "View Mail Status" and other features. Make it so someone would have to "Try It" for a minimum of 3 months which would offset the cost of processing more smaller transactions. This would still generate a tremendous boost in fees but offer people a much milder entry into the idea of paying for a service they have been using for free for so long.

Being a veteran of many now defunct or dying dating sites, I know that their death was generally attributed to a lack of accessibility versus rising costs to gain access. The public is a fickle mistress, look at what happened to "My Space" after Facebook took off.

I admire your success with POF and remain a loyal and happy user. I would quickly opt for the "A la Carte" menu if offered, but I remain hesitant to pay $7-12 per month for an all access pass.

I hope this idea finds it's way to becoming an option for building revenues and quelling your ever more vocal detractors.
 Garyfisher_
Msg: 833
view profile
History
 Steveo480
Msg: 834
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:17:05 AM
Facebook killed mysapce and eventualy the same thing will happen to this site and they know it so thier cashing in before the bottom falls out. Remember its the people who made this site what it is and if it comes down to it we all can end up somewhere else and pof will still be here listening to the sound of crickets. lol
 myndqair
Msg: 835
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:23:02 AM
Bottom line: Just a ploy to get more revenue. Ads will be always be there. No one complains of ads on a free site.

Shame on you POF for getting GREED...IER...after having adding pay requirements to other previously free options.
 CantLiveScared
Msg: 836
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:31:47 AM
Lets see how long it takes to charge for viewing RECEIVED messages now.... Oh, I'm sure SENDING will always be free... But of COURSE in order to read their reply, it's going to end up having to be a PAID feature.....
 darby1957
Msg: 837
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:33:43 AM
Rather than paying for this I will just go back to zoosk ,better site
 JustaCrow
Msg: 838
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:42:01 AM
So you lure us here with "100% FREE!", get popular because of this, then slowly remove things you attracted us with in the first place in hopes we won't protest too much. I've found I can forgive a lie, but I'm not sure I've ever been able to forget one.
 beabillionaire
Msg: 839
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:49:41 AM
If you guys think this site is not making a KILLING off of ad revenue, you are a fool. Just look at facebook, or google as to how they have so much money. They don't charge anything.

If you want to use paypal for ads you have to deposit a "non refundable" (as i am learning now) $400. All internet marketers know that POF traffic is the most targeted traffic (besides fb) because you can advertise by age, race, even WEIGHT, anything.
He's laughing all the way to the bank with ad revenue.
 ssge
Msg: 840
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:58:49 AM
Maybe this is why they had to change it to a pay site... who knows...

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/02/28/peter-burks-plentyoffish/
 ctiffer
Msg: 841
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:03:30 AM

"If Everyone Turns Off the Feature in Edit Profile that allows you to see if someone has looked @ your Profile

I guess most folks did not notice, but that feature has not worked for over a year now. While you have been able to turn it on/off, everyone has still remained visible to those they viewed.

.....am I the only one who noticed this? "

Wait, what? Is there any evidence that this is the case that you can provide or can anyone corroborate that? (I'd message directly to ask, but message settings prevent me from doing that.) I could also test it, but now that the 'viewed me' section is paid only, I can't do that without giving money to the site which I'm not interested in doing at this moment.

I just want to be clear, are you saying that the "Allow a user to see that I viewed their profile" option under 'Mail Settings' has really done nothing for the last year? I don't really care personally if someone sees I viewed them, but putting in privacy options that are really bullshit is something that I think shouldn't happen if that is truly the case.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I was just reading this thread for the PR fail hilarity, but now I'd be really interested to know if this really has been the case.

The user that posted that comment was incorrect.

korbandallas_3
Msg: 842
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:24:38 AM
I think people fail to understand just how expensive a website is to run. A site like this is offering quite a lot for free. I have had less luck on other paid sites. I happily pay for full use of this site.
 korbandallas_3
Msg: 843
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:25:15 AM
Zoosk? Really? That site is a joke with about 4 users.
 Schrödingers_Dog
Msg: 844
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:25:36 AM
I'm not sifting through 40 pages of these complaints but, in case it hasn't been mentioned, Viewed Me works fine on the mobile app on my iPhone.
 BigSarge04
Msg: 845
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:27:25 AM
What I find funny is the fact that even if you don't have a paid profile, you can still see whos viewed you on the PoF app, lol
 Echonewt
Msg: 846
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:39:52 AM
This exactly. POF is not a great site. But it's free. Thats why there is such a large user base.

Slowly changing over to a pay site will be the death of it. If you're going to more or less force me to pay for features that were free before instead of adding new features that you can charge for, I might aswell pay for a site that is better built and has more options available to me.
 Schrödingers_Dog
Msg: 847
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:39:56 AM
"Zoosk? Really? That site is a joke with about 4 users."

[u]Facebook likes:[/u]
Zoosk: 328,559 likes
PoF: 35,981 likes

Never heard of Zoosk till today but those numbers aren't made up.
 Bigrob7605
Msg: 848
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:44:06 AM
Yea to be honest this was the worst thing this site could have done. I checked on other free dating webpages and each of them have had huge surges in new users. And the thing about that is... They have a view me for free. And that means if they are using other sites they will not be using this site. Lost free users = lost ad money. So even tho you may make a few people pay your going to loose more money in the process from the free users. I should know i did something like this on a site i ran. Guess what.... It killed it and it is no more... So just my 2 cents because after this change that might be all you get each month...
 Bigrob7605
Msg: 849
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:46:51 AM
yea thats why has had a huge gain in A-List users lol along with other sites getting free and paid users. Right after pof did that bam! tons of them flew over there. Because is cheaper and you get viewed me for free along with pretty much everything else. they know better then to not make view me free lol they tried that once and pretty much lost 50% of there user's logging on. It was a ghost town on there.
 yolois
Msg: 850
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:49:57 AM
Zoosk sucks because even when you pay for it, if you send a message to someone who isn't paid, they don't see more than four or five words of your message until THEY pay. AND... Zoosk doesn't show you who is paid up and who isn't, so you have no idea if you're sending messages to people who can't even read them, and even then, very few can.

But this pay for viewme change... let me throw in my opinion on the pile:

You would think that after 40 pages of comments in just the first thread, a dozen or so in another closed thread, and now three pages of constant additional threads on the matter popping up, that the admin would get a clue. It's what the people want. Overwhelmingly.

I liked this site because 1. it was free. 2. it was clean and simple looking, no excessive graphics or stupid java or flash embedded crap. I'm scoping out alternatives now, however.

Because of all features to nail with fees, this one was the dumbest.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE