Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS H      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bigrob7605
Msg: 874
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments herePage 35 of 62    (22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62)
Yea to be honest this was the worst thing this site could have done. I checked on other free dating webpages and each of them have had huge surges in new users. And the thing about that is... They have a view me for free. And that means if they are using other sites they will not be using this site. Lost free users = lost ad money. So even tho you may make a few people pay your going to loose more money in the process from the free users. I should know i did something like this on a site i ran. Guess what.... It killed it and it is no more... So just my 2 cents because after this change that might be all you get each month...
 Bigrob7605
Msg: 875
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:46:51 AM
yea thats why has had a huge gain in A-List users lol along with other sites getting free and paid users. Right after pof did that bam! tons of them flew over there. Because is cheaper and you get viewed me for free along with pretty much everything else. they know better then to not make view me free lol they tried that once and pretty much lost 50% of there user's logging on. It was a ghost town on there.
 yolois
Msg: 876
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:49:57 AM
Zoosk sucks because even when you pay for it, if you send a message to someone who isn't paid, they don't see more than four or five words of your message until THEY pay. AND... Zoosk doesn't show you who is paid up and who isn't, so you have no idea if you're sending messages to people who can't even read them, and even then, very few can.

But this pay for viewme change... let me throw in my opinion on the pile:

You would think that after 40 pages of comments in just the first thread, a dozen or so in another closed thread, and now three pages of constant additional threads on the matter popping up, that the admin would get a clue. It's what the people want. Overwhelmingly.

I liked this site because 1. it was free. 2. it was clean and simple looking, no excessive graphics or stupid java or flash embedded crap. I'm scoping out alternatives now, however.

Because of all features to nail with fees, this one was the dumbest.
 mazon2009
Msg: 877
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:50:00 AM
you guys if your so upset just remember the phone apps have all access still im able to see who has veiwed me and what not on there but still think this is a stupid move
 yolois
Msg: 878
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:54:59 AM
You know what... I really am beginning to think that this is no longer privately owned. That's what happened to Hot or Not when it got sold off. It had been just 5 bux /month for years until that happened, then suddenly it jumped to 20 bux a month. Then Myspace... it was sold off, and while it took a couple years, it was eventually "improved", making it full of laggy embedded features, a weird layout, and visually confusing. Then Facebook took all the Myspace peeps because Facebook was SIMPLE, no-frills, and not visually confusing. Only it was also sold off, and now we're seeing this transition to the "timeline" crap, which is just "we're trying to improve for the sake of improving, not for the need to" and it's a case of "hey guys, less is MORE".

Now POF. Next they will monkey around with the layout, start adding fancy borders and graphics, and make it more of a pain in the ass to move around the website. While charging you for it :P

Like I said, I smell corporate boardroom idiocy, not sole proprietorship.
 dee714
Msg: 879
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 11:22:23 AM
Wow first I'll tell you that whomever wrote why you are implementing it, better go back to school and learn how to spell!!
Honestly I think its a bad move to charge for who viewed me, and as someone else said its greedy!! I honestly am out of work and think its something I would be very surprised if many go for. You have advertising all over he site.
I hope you will reconsider this. I was on here yesterday and was never even given a warning.
 FreakFLSTC
Msg: 880
Posted: 3/14/2012 11:44:22 AM
Wait, what? Is there any evidence that this is the case that you can provide or can anyone corroborate that? (I'd message directly to ask, but message settings prevent me from doing that.)

Obviously the moderator thinks I'm wrong, but then again, POF has never admitted to having fake profiles, auto generated messages, etc.

I first discovered it one evening while viewing user profiles, then I noticed, that eveyone I had viewed, was viewing me. I double checked the setting, turned it on/off, logged back in,etc. Same result. Taking chance out of the equation, I started viewing profiles from different states, with the same result. One step further, I tried viewing people I know on POF, and they could see that I had viewed them (yes, I had not viewed their profiles previously). So they can say whatever they want, but in my case, it stopped working.

Above all, "the moderator" is a member and has been one for many years.

That being said, I guess there are 2 possibilities
1. user error
2. the feature works for everyone else but for some reason not for you

More likely than not this type of "error" happens when users forget to save their settings properly.

Rest assured this feature does function properly.

CarterScott21257
Msg: 881
Posted: 3/14/2012 11:53:01 AM
The "who viewed me" was a valuable tool to see who you should respond to. I for one would gladly trade the "my matches" for the "viewed me" feature. The latter is a far better indicator of who may be interested in talking to you. Thanks.
 musicman1257
Msg: 882
Posted: 3/14/2012 11:53:44 AM
I have been a POF member for several years and truly believe this is a HUGE mistake by them. Their are things that separate POF from the other sites...being free and being a quality site typically don't go hand in hand but, they pulled it off. Until now...BAD MOVE, GUYS
 IslandVixen4U
Msg: 883
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 11:59:52 AM
For those of you who want to contact marcus directly he has a profile on here with the name Marcus. The one the mods are sending you to is just an inbox and having sent stuff to that one in the past and never gotten a response i'm thinking its just his junkmail. I personally took the time to send him his own advertising that clearly states that the site is 100% free. I mean really, its false advertising and honestly i think a class action lawsuit for all the members who were conned into joining and then lost features he later calls "add ons" might just be a good idea. But like the rest, i'm in the process of transfering all my contacts to another site . Bad decision, but money is always the reason for people to have 2 faces.
 fall_blossom
Msg: 884
Posted: 3/14/2012 12:00:52 PM
who viewed me - is not a good feature anyway... looking does not mean interest.
I am not going to read all the posts, but I 100% agree with this and don't care who viewed me.

Lots of people are on stealth mode anyhow.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 885
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 12:15:58 PM
Everyone who deletes their profile provides this:

1. Less wear and tear on the system and servers
2. A user base more skewed toward people willing to pay for dating (and I AGREE that's hooking!)
3. Less cheapskates for marketers to waste time on

The only loss is in the number of users new users get to choose from. But they get a wealthier, more free-spending field to graze.

Markus has his girlfriend and his tavel plans, and if he once was passionate about PoF that's worn off with time and an endless procession of whiny losers asking why their message didn't get a reply.

Seek passion elsewhere. Nobody will miss anyone who does. Markus has NEVER read user mail.
ED BEAR
 luckytossofthedice
Msg: 886
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 12:16:06 PM
So POF took off the "viewed me" feature ? BIG mistake. I am also on OK cupid ( which is also free ) I normally use Plenty of Fish more often, but since you have taken away this feature, I will not be visiting POF daily as I used to, but only when I get a message. I hate to say it, but Plenty Of Fish shot it's self in the foot.
 terrybear
Msg: 887
Posted: 3/14/2012 12:24:51 PM
The ability to see & view whoms viewed you as well as message & reply to messages should ALWAYS be free!! Make things like better matching to preferences, profile enhancements/looks, ways to narrow down those more serious whom dont have any "issues" a PAID feature.

MOST sites paid or not they allow you to see whoms viewed you! This move is about as idiotic/unthoughout as the " user must not have contacted others for sex " option in profiles. Cause in most cases most peaple already know ALL peaple look for sex/conpanionship & there should be no biasing again ANYONE whom does so as making them "not good peaple to date".

I also agree with the amount of google advertising tagged in this site the right way there should be MORE then enough hits generated to bring in a revenue stream to do this site + for those whom do pay for the site as well.

If 40 pages on this forum says anything its the ovious that the feature SHOULD be enabled & also shouldnt be able to occure for ANYONE then period if your going to do so.
 hypnogorium
Msg: 888
Posted: 3/14/2012 12:28:06 PM
What's with POF ? It seems like every other week an other feature is " No Longer Free"
They're saying they plan on charging for add on features so that they can get rid of the advertising.
I say keep the ads and keep it free. Eventually it will be like a lot of other B.S. sites that no one wants to belong to " Including Me "
 ctiffer
Msg: 889
Posted: 3/14/2012 12:28:07 PM
It is appreciated that someone has taken the time to respond to a possible issue. I'm just some random user and have not in my experience observed the "viewed me" feature exhibiting the behaviour that has been described by "FreakFLSTC". That said, at least from his description of the problem and his attempts to test it out, if he is being honest, it seems like there *might* be an issue.

I don't give two shits about the paid/unpaid viewed me issue that started this thread. I personally don't really care if people have seen I've viewed them or not.

Your possibility #1, user error, does immediately come to mind. It is quite possible he set his profile up wrong. That said, from his response, he seems to have done due diligence to make sure that wasn't the case. So he is either knowledgeable about most of the site but missed one crucial item or he is lying. I have no idea which is the truth.

Possibility #2 is far more alarming. I am a programmer and a computer science student. Specifically, my focus is computer security which is why his post immediately raised so many alarm bells for me due to the possible privacy violations. It is literally impossible that such an error would target just him specifically unless it was intentional. That said, it means that if there is an error, it just targets a small subset of users and has gone previously unnoticed or ignored. If that is the case, it needs to be fixed, because even just a few users' privacy being violated is not acceptable.

Did you really think option 2 was possible. As you state it is literally impossible that such an error would target just one user. If this was an actual issue, there would be other users reporting it in the help forum. Bottom line, this feature has been tested, and yes by myself and other moderators as well as by the POF programers and works fine but unfortunately there will always be the occasional user that suffers from "user error" and as a result will pass around false information. That being said, let's stay on topic please. The topic of this thread is the new changes to the viewed me option.

I have no idea what the truth is here. I don't know the guy suggesting the 'feature' didn't work nor do I know the moderator. I have no way to know if anyone is telling the truth here or not. All I know is that if what he is saying is indeed true, it is a serious trust and privacy issue. I just hope this will be looked into and decided definitively one way or another. Simply suggesting it might be user error or an error with just his account is not enough in my opinion.
 justafeeling4u
Msg: 890
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 12:28:11 PM
It sucks honestly.I would like to know if someone has viewed my profile and sometimes its a good idea as to how often someone has.And if they are interested. thsi is supposed to be a FREE site..the Advertisements weren't bothering me as all its not like they were popping up on the screen obscuring everything..VERY VERY VERY bad move on POF's side for doing this.
 KnightNChrome
Msg: 891
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 12:36:26 PM
If Im going to PAY for a site...its going to be for a better site than THIS!!!! My "matches" never match my interests...at least with the access to see who has viewed me, there was an initial interest from them for them to have clicked on my profile...even if it WAS only based on physical appearance...thats SOMETHING!

Other pay sites use SOME sort of formula in pairing people up with "matches" that may interest them.
 psmith1908
Msg: 892
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 12:42:58 PM
Unbelievable...first sent messages now profile views. So much for a 100% free site :(

I'm heading to or accentudate
 Modestan1234
Msg: 893
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:10:08 PM
I do appreciate all the free access I have had to viewed me up to this point.

I will not pay for this feature and my time onsite will fall off big time, no doubt.

It was a good ride thanks, pof.
 ng15bloke
Msg: 894
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:10:15 PM
A terrilbe terrible idea. POF change your mind about this. I came to this site because it was free. I will be leaving if you continue to make charges. I am giving you to the end of the month.
 marshfieldmale
Msg: 895
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:18:20 PM
One good thing about this change....

I likely won't be getting any more emails from females upset because I've viewed their profile.
 Modestan1234
Msg: 896
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:25:00 PM
I have seen a couple comments regarding grabbing all your contacts and moving them to another site.

That is probably the best thing you can do to fight back, steal their people and move em to another site!

It's OBV there's another FREE site out there with way better features and more fun, just not the same size user base, YET!!
 badenuff69
Msg: 897
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:25:18 PM
If no one buys the upgrade they will lose money, Im sure alot of people have left the site already or will be soon. Their advertisers are probably not happy, I suggest that you put DONT BUY THE UPGRADE in the headline space, if it catches on and everytime an admin or mod look they will see truly just how many people are pissed, not sure if they give a $#@T but they will care if they lose money...I miss viewed me, kinda gives you some sort of hope :)
 reprocessed
Msg: 898
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:25:58 PM
I will give this a few days and then I'm outta here.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE