Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS H      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ala2010
Msg: 876
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments herePage 36 of 62    (22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62)
your DAM right.............all about dam money,they are crooked anyways,wouldnt doult if they dont put fake profiles on here.............I mean it..........
 ala2010
Msg: 877
VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE
Posted: 3/14/2012 4:34:09 PM
AMEM...............................YOU ARE RIGHT............
 GreyingGracefully
Msg: 878
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 4:37:50 PM
"the largest 100% free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate"

The above is a direct quote off of the POF splash page. This is part of what attracted me to this site over all of the others available (and there are plenty of others available). I liked knowing if my messages were read or deleted and that feature was removed from the non-paying members. I sucked up that loss and kept my profile active. Seeing who viewed my profile was a feature that I really enjoyed and probably the one that I used the most and now that feature too is now inaccessible to me unless I fork over $80 dollars a year. Is it worth it to me .... definitely not. Will continue to visit this site, certainly not as often which usually means that eventually I will remove my profile from the site and remove the site from my bookmark. Good luck to the site administrators. I truly believe that moving forward, you are going to need all the luck you can get.
 mizou5
Msg: 879
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/14/2012 4:44:48 PM
Once they make this a fully paid site(which they will do eventually), they'll likely do what the other pay sites do by creating bogus profiles enticing people to join. All in all it's probably not a bad thing for me because online dating is like pulling teeth. Now I have a good excuse to quit this B.S. for a while.
 browncg2
Msg: 880
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 4:51:11 PM
So what was the purpose of this exactly, since this was always a free feature. PoF was always supposed to be a free site with no strings attached. This is going against the original intent of the site. To be honest, I don't mind the advertisements if that helps you pay for the site.
 Ninja Bob
Msg: 881
view profile
History
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/14/2012 4:53:01 PM
Well, I don't log in to this site very often but when I do I expect it to be free. One of the first things I check is the 'viewed me' tab. This site works as a FREE service. If I am going to pay for something like this... it won't be here. Stick to the ads if you wanna make money POF. Locking out features is only going to drive away users.
 unfortunatelywed
Msg: 882
Posted: 3/14/2012 5:00:44 PM

Good Evening,

I am a fan and a user of POF for several years.
I have used both free and pay sites off and on for over 10 years now.

I have a suggestion about your new "Pay to Play or View" changes.
Why not offer "a la carte" ordering of specific features?
For example: $1-2 a month for "View Me", "Meet Me", "Ultra Match", "View Mail Status" and other features. Make it so someone would have to "Try It" for a minimum of 3 months which would offset the cost of processing more smaller transactions. This would still generate a tremendous boost in fees but offer people a much milder entry into the idea of paying for a service they have been using for free for so long.

Being a veteran of many now defunct or dying dating sites, I know that their death was generally attributed to a lack of accessibility versus rising costs to gain access. The public is a fickle mistress, look at what happened to "My Space" after Facebook took off.

I admire your success with POF and remain a loyal and happy user. I would quickly opt for the "A la Carte" menu if offered, but I remain hesitant to pay $7-12 per month for an all access pass.

I hope this idea finds it's way to becoming an option for building revenues and quelling your ever more vocal detractors.

EddieMax1956
Msg: 883
Posted: 3/14/2012 5:02:03 PM
I posted here yesterday and wanted to add a bit more to what I posted. Do what does and if people don't want to see advertising make them pay for it. I pay $4.95 a month to not see ads and some nice little bonuses on how you can customize your page.

And like so many other people here have said, upgrade your site so it doesn't look so cheap.
 SusyStarr
Msg: 884
Posted: 3/14/2012 5:04:28 PM
javascript:smilie('')Was very disappointed to see that you are now making people pay for viewed me . After exploring many sites, I chose yours because of the fact that you were a free site.. I found the viewed me part of your site very helpful in having options... Now it it gone. To think I actually recommended you to many people...as I am sure they are all jawing now, javascript:smilie('')will have to find another site to recommend...
Not sure why people can't leave well enough alone..Sad world when everything in it comes down to profit.........javascript:smilie('')
 cj555
Msg: 885
Posted: 3/14/2012 5:13:24 PM
Ever pof member should go t www.change.org and sign the petition against this money grabbing move by pof.They said it would remain free.Being free was one of their best advertising features.Sign the petition now www.change.org
 CantGetMuchBetter101
Msg: 886
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 5:20:26 PM
I agree 100% I will be going else where very soon if this is not changed. Just keep the stupid advertisements. I'm reffering all my friends to leave the site I got to join, just wait and watch Buh Bye Now!
 RobinHood2008
Msg: 887
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 5:24:08 PM
I was considering getting a paid membership based on the old system of a one-time payment for lifetime benefits. The price was a bit steep as I recall, but I was starting to think it was worth it. Last week I went to upgrade and discovered that the site had switched to a subscription system. Ok, so I've done that before. No biggie. But then I looked at the price, and even though it is pretty good compared to other sites, the benefits aren't great and the other sites are insanely overpriced. If I can pay $5 a month, maybe even $8 a month without having to commit to a months-long subscription with payment up front, I'll pay it. But really, if this site worked well, there would be no need for a year long subscription. Few people are willing to wait that long but are still serious about dating. I live in a relatively rural area, so there isn't anyone new near me very often. I'm not paying you $6 a month or more for advanced features that allow me to learn a tiny bit more about the same people month after month. I've already created a profile on another site and am losing interest in this site. I don't mind the advertisements much, but I hate how they are sometimes placed and are written in such a way that they imply that I personally am advocating the advertiser's product though I'm not, and sometimes think their product is sleazy and should be avoided!

deb8262
Msg: 888
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 5:29:41 PM
I think you will lose lots of members by charging for the Viewed Me Feature or at the least, you will see people utilize the site much less frequently.

I know I am usually disappointed with the direct contacts I see, so sometimes it's encouraging to see that an attractive guy actually looks...sometimes looking back encourages the person to reach out.

I have no intention of paying for this feature however. I think that idea may kill your site.
 70 Mach1
Msg: 889
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 5:46:34 PM
This site is totally free

http://www.smooch.com/free-online-dating/entry.asp?referrer=ok&errors=noentry&tstp=&dwstat=
 LeoDee33
Msg: 890
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 5:49:41 PM
POF will be charging for each feature, adding one at a time, until it will only be free to signup ...just like most other dating sites. The time to stop it is now so post your objections. Mark is making millions on the advertising alone already.
 LeanneB
Msg: 891
Posted: 3/14/2012 5:53:17 PM
Viewed Me shouldn't be a paid member privilege. OK Cupid is still completely a free site and I trust OK much more than POF. I have submitted two IC3 forms to the FBI office in San Francisco CA from scammers on POF. Have found two more with suspicious profiles of which I didn't answer.
If you want members 'free or paid' to feel more comfortable on your site increase the security end of your site instead of trying to decrease advertisers. I for one would NEVER pay for any feature on POF, not 'viewed me' or any other feature!
This seems to be a pathetic effort on the part of POF to make money without any intentions of making the site more secure. LeannB aka Bonnie Loera
 ToolTimeTim
Msg: 892
NEW COST FOR VIEWING who checked ME out!!!
Posted: 3/14/2012 5:57:16 PM
WHAT idiot decided @ POF to start charging for using this site?? OH, it is like being on E-Harmony!! Sorry, but YOU will loose me and others for starting to charge for the use of this site!! THAT is WHY many of the world single people have come to POF!! Those of US that DON'T have the BIG BUCKS to pay for services to find someone!! SMACK on the head!! KICK in the butt!! KICK in the "YOU KNOW WHAT!" . . . . Figure it out FOLKS, YOUR NUMBERS WILL DROP if you start charging!!! THAT is WHY you have had the NUMBERS!! FREE SERVICE, gets you PEOPLE!! CLIENTS!!! . . . . HAD TO VOICE my opinion on this!! TAKE THE FEES OFF or I am GONE!!! (and probably others??!!!)

ToolTimeTim aka Kevin Amos
 jiml1961
Msg: 893
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 5:57:34 PM
I just want to add my name to the previous petition of 43 *PAGES* of users alienated by this move. The chance that this denial of service will cause me to upgrade my membership is ZERO.

However, I have to skeptically agree with the users who have previously said that POF is unlikely to reverse this decision, if they haven't done so already, given the overwhelming level of unhappiness this has created amongst its user base. Even though it is a huge mistake they have made, the longer they wait to reverse it the more foolish they will look, so if it hasn't happened by now, it probably won't.

I also concur with others that if you want to pay for a membership, there are better paid sites out there than POF. And while I don't have any experience that would let me opine with others who say that this change makes POF less attractive than other free sites, I will soon be finding out.
 sunseekerrod
Msg: 894
Posted: 3/14/2012 5:59:33 PM
IF I'M GOING TO HAVE TO PAY IT WILL BE ON MATCH.COM !!!!!!!!! THINK ABOUT WHAT YOUR DOING...... DIPSTICKS....... javascript:smilie('')javasjavascript:smilie('')cript:smilie('')javascript:smilie('')
 patrickmtl
Msg: 895
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:01:20 PM
i disagree
viewed me was the only interesting feature on this site
look at the other 35 thousand comments and you will see the consensus is the same.
the viewed me feature was interesting and you could see people you might not otherwise consider communicating with
as a dating site POF is really not that good but if it is free and has the old features it is not bad and at least interesting
as a paid site it is plenty of kaka
i belong to other sites (two that i pay for) and the different is like 1984 to 2012 in features and ho wit works; stay free and a bit old fashioned and there is a future for POF but make it pay and it will be in the dustbin of history soon
advertisers can read these forums too and they will not spend money with this site anymore
and if you cant get any interesting interaction then the whole thing is going down the tubes; their own fault if that happens
poor sods
 HokyPlayr10
Msg: 896
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:01:42 PM
THIS SITE HAS NOW BECOME AN EHARMONY / MATCH.COM SPIN OFF. IF I WANTED TO PAY TO VIEW, I WOULD HAVE NEVER CAME TO THIS SITE AND JUST SIGNED UP ON EITHER OF THE TWO. BRING BACK THE FREE FEATURES TO US ALL. ITS WHAT HAS DRAWN US HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.
 LaManHere
Msg: 897
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:06:24 PM
I have advocated POF over the years when a friend was single and looking for dates. Both male and female friends. I've made several new acquaintances on this site over the years. Including the most significant lady in my life at this time. The IM feature has been a nice tool. I remember once it was taken away for a while for some reason. That was a bummer. However, the "Viewed Me" has been a key function to finding the best candidate for a new initial greeting. Removing that free function, is like causing me to feel that "Free" is no longer the genuine intention , as was the original success builder and concept of this site. I'm not happy about it.
 Life_Is_Better
Msg: 898
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:06:58 PM
Like many others have stated on this thread, I too am against this change.

It is obvious that the word "free" has changed its definition over time. Like many other words (such as the word "service"). Marcus, if you are going to keep adding a charge for every thing one can do on this site, you should change your marketing to remove the word "free". It is very misleading to many of us who grew up with a different concept of what "free" means.
 Octoberscenes
Msg: 899
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:10:26 PM
So many people have voiced their opinions on here much better than I could but the bottom line is that most all of us here joined this site believing that the "viewed me" feature was free and now, suddenly, it's not. This feature made the site more functional and entertaining and the majority vote seems to be make it free again. Let's hope the administrators listen.
 bennyblanco!
Msg: 900
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:11:34 PM
If people are going to pay they will go to E-Harmony or Match.com

Viewed me is the only way of engaging with people that are vaguely interested in you. I fear the dozens of men in the semi desperate category have signed up and are vindicating the decision to make this a paid for feature.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE