Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS H      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 70 Mach1
Msg: 901
view profile
History
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments herePage 37 of 62    (22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62)
This site is totally free

http://www.smooch.com/free-online-dating/entry.asp?referrer=ok&errors=noentry&tstp=&dwstat=
 LeoDee33
Msg: 902
view profile
History
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/14/2012 5:49:41 PM
POF will be charging for each feature, adding one at a time, until it will only be free to signup ...just like most other dating sites. The time to stop it is now so post your objections. Mark is making millions on the advertising alone already.
 LeanneB
Msg: 903
Posted: 3/14/2012 5:53:17 PM
Viewed Me shouldn't be a paid member privilege. OK Cupid is still completely a free site and I trust OK much more than POF. I have submitted two IC3 forms to the FBI office in San Francisco CA from scammers on POF. Have found two more with suspicious profiles of which I didn't answer.
If you want members 'free or paid' to feel more comfortable on your site increase the security end of your site instead of trying to decrease advertisers. I for one would NEVER pay for any feature on POF, not 'viewed me' or any other feature!
This seems to be a pathetic effort on the part of POF to make money without any intentions of making the site more secure. LeannB aka Bonnie Loera
 ToolTimeTim
Msg: 904
NEW COST FOR VIEWING who checked ME out!!!
Posted: 3/14/2012 5:57:16 PM
WHAT idiot decided @ POF to start charging for using this site?? OH, it is like being on E-Harmony!! Sorry, but YOU will loose me and others for starting to charge for the use of this site!! THAT is WHY many of the world single people have come to POF!! Those of US that DON'T have the BIG BUCKS to pay for services to find someone!! SMACK on the head!! KICK in the butt!! KICK in the "YOU KNOW WHAT!" . . . . Figure it out FOLKS, YOUR NUMBERS WILL DROP if you start charging!!! THAT is WHY you have had the NUMBERS!! FREE SERVICE, gets you PEOPLE!! CLIENTS!!! . . . . HAD TO VOICE my opinion on this!! TAKE THE FEES OFF or I am GONE!!! (and probably others??!!!)

ToolTimeTim aka Kevin Amos
 jiml1961
Msg: 905
view profile
History
VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE
Posted: 3/14/2012 5:57:34 PM
I just want to add my name to the previous petition of 43 *PAGES* of users alienated by this move. The chance that this denial of service will cause me to upgrade my membership is ZERO.

However, I have to skeptically agree with the users who have previously said that POF is unlikely to reverse this decision, if they haven't done so already, given the overwhelming level of unhappiness this has created amongst its user base. Even though it is a huge mistake they have made, the longer they wait to reverse it the more foolish they will look, so if it hasn't happened by now, it probably won't.

I also concur with others that if you want to pay for a membership, there are better paid sites out there than POF. And while I don't have any experience that would let me opine with others who say that this change makes POF less attractive than other free sites, I will soon be finding out.
 sunseekerrod
Msg: 906
Posted: 3/14/2012 5:59:33 PM
IF I'M GOING TO HAVE TO PAY IT WILL BE ON MATCH.COM !!!!!!!!! THINK ABOUT WHAT YOUR DOING...... DIPSTICKS....... javascript:smilie('')javasjavascript:smilie('')cript:smilie('')javascript:smilie('')
 patrickmtl
Msg: 907
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:01:20 PM
i disagree
viewed me was the only interesting feature on this site
look at the other 35 thousand comments and you will see the consensus is the same.
the viewed me feature was interesting and you could see people you might not otherwise consider communicating with
as a dating site POF is really not that good but if it is free and has the old features it is not bad and at least interesting
as a paid site it is plenty of kaka
i belong to other sites (two that i pay for) and the different is like 1984 to 2012 in features and ho wit works; stay free and a bit old fashioned and there is a future for POF but make it pay and it will be in the dustbin of history soon
advertisers can read these forums too and they will not spend money with this site anymore
and if you cant get any interesting interaction then the whole thing is going down the tubes; their own fault if that happens
poor sods
 HokyPlayr10
Msg: 908
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:01:42 PM
THIS SITE HAS NOW BECOME AN EHARMONY / MATCH.COM SPIN OFF. IF I WANTED TO PAY TO VIEW, I WOULD HAVE NEVER CAME TO THIS SITE AND JUST SIGNED UP ON EITHER OF THE TWO. BRING BACK THE FREE FEATURES TO US ALL. ITS WHAT HAS DRAWN US HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.
 LaManHere
Msg: 909
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:06:24 PM
I have advocated POF over the years when a friend was single and looking for dates. Both male and female friends. I've made several new acquaintances on this site over the years. Including the most significant lady in my life at this time. The IM feature has been a nice tool. I remember once it was taken away for a while for some reason. That was a bummer. However, the "Viewed Me" has been a key function to finding the best candidate for a new initial greeting. Removing that free function, is like causing me to feel that "Free" is no longer the genuine intention , as was the original success builder and concept of this site. I'm not happy about it.
 Life_Is_Better
Msg: 910
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:06:58 PM
Like many others have stated on this thread, I too am against this change.

It is obvious that the word "free" has changed its definition over time. Like many other words (such as the word "service"). Marcus, if you are going to keep adding a charge for every thing one can do on this site, you should change your marketing to remove the word "free". It is very misleading to many of us who grew up with a different concept of what "free" means.
 Octoberscenes
Msg: 911
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:10:26 PM
So many people have voiced their opinions on here much better than I could but the bottom line is that most all of us here joined this site believing that the "viewed me" feature was free and now, suddenly, it's not. This feature made the site more functional and entertaining and the majority vote seems to be make it free again. Let's hope the administrators listen.
 bennyblanco!
Msg: 912
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:11:34 PM
If people are going to pay they will go to E-Harmony or Match.com

Viewed me is the only way of engaging with people that are vaguely interested in you. I fear the dozens of men in the semi desperate category have signed up and are vindicating the decision to make this a paid for feature.
 LeoDee33
Msg: 913
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:14:28 PM
"Remember that we are the largest 100% free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate"

This statement still appears at the top of this page. Check it for yourself. There is a word for this Marcus ...UNCONSCIONABLE!
 Jturkle56
Msg: 914
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:23:13 PM
Bad idea to charge for the viewed me feature. POF may want decide it wants to remove the advertising, but I don't see a lot of people objecting to the advertising. I believe the majority of users would rather endure the advertising for this feature. Perhaps an advertising based revenue formula is just too hard for the POF people to sell. It was the one differentiator between their site and the paid sites. Now POF just costs more and looks worse. Time to speak out by removing my profile. I urge others to do the same. Maybe POF will get the message.
 acutemarybeth57
Msg: 915
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:26:54 PM
I certainly agree with that...will give it til the end of March ...then I am gone also
 sunseekerrod
Msg: 916
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:33:35 PM
POF DATEHOOKUP.COM------ Still free time to make a switch Hope to see everyone there
 TaylorA1964
Msg: 917
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:34:02 PM
You can't do anything here anymore :(
 mbw572
Msg: 918
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:34:02 PM
pof was a great site. this latest move really took out one of the main features. If i wanted to belong to a pay site i would not be at pof
 TheycallmeJ
Msg: 919
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:38:37 PM
Someone else posted this. Thanks for being a hypocrite. I will delete my account next Saturday. You should learn from Netflix that dumb moves loses users

(archived from 2005 website page)
Why?
My name is Markus Frind and I created plentyoffish.com. I created this dating site because I was sick of seeing faceless corporations prey on people looking for love. In my mind finding love is not about handing over a monthly fee to some dating site that only cares about making sure you stay another month to pay them again.
We are Different
Plentyoffish.com is a 100% FREE online dating site and constantly changing based on your feedback, and you will notice everything on this online dating site is done so that you can meet people you have personally selected, and you can do it quickly. For example, we are the only major dating site that allows users to block messages from whole groups of other users they aren't interested in. No other dating site would do this as more individual contacts means more money.
Money? Who Cares
I am well aware that Plentyoffish.com could make millions of dollars per month as a subscription service. I couldn’t care less about how much money Plentyoffish.com could make; this site is different. This site wasn't created to mine user’s pocketbooks. Plentyoffish.com is here to make a difference and help people find "the one".

Not true to your word Markus
 petercass88
Msg: 920
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:44:34 PM
LOL I have been on this site for years off and on. Slowly more and more isnt free and the adds never become less. They are there in full force. I have never visited this forum but for the first time in my years of being in this community.... I just wanted to stop by and say how dumb this idea was. Maybe in the future you should avoid "pulling a netflix" and ask your revenue base prior to stabbing it in the foot. Good luck!!! almost 50 pages of comments should prove how stupid of a move this was.

Business 101: dont bite the hand that feeds you leafy greens.

jerseyrugby
Msg: 921
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:47:46 PM
wow soo xxxx..why dont you just make it all paid for and kill the entire website..you are well on your way..

Edited to remove slur.

FINCH_MCTN
Msg: 922
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:50:40 PM
1103 posts prior to mine, if you take into consideration that maybe 103 of them are agreeing with the new pay to see viewed me then that leaves 1000 people who are unhappy and wasting their breath to complain about this. They are NOT going to change it. If they make 1 dollar off it then it was worth it, and, if you leave it is no big deal because they we're not making any money off you in the first place. So nothing lost. Also they have THOUSANDS of members, 1000 less is not going to hurt them any. So seriously, as the Borgs would say, "Complaining is futile"
 fffaaa
Msg: 923
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:52:43 PM
well there pof by the wayside now
it is just to bad besides most of the people i met here
where nuts anyway
 Truly_Me
Msg: 924
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:52:45 PM
This is typical of POF. Start free, then take back a little at a time until nearly everything is a "premium" feature. It's been going on for years and shows no sign of stopping.

Datehookup.com is a much better site, and has lots of local users. I'm going to check my account there now, and will be using POF less and less in the future.

Shame on you, Markus!
 Umstead10
Msg: 925
Posted: 3/14/2012 7:00:16 PM
I thought this was supposed to be an actual FREE way to meet new people, but now this site is turning into any other one of the "sign up free" ones. Just sayin its pretty wrong.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE