Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS H      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Echonewt
Msg: 951
VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HEREPage 39 of 62    (22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62)
Since my last post (earlier today i think) I've signed up on another free site. Won't be looking back. Better features, Actually free, better design. is now my choice.

Sorry PoF, ya messed up.
 marshfieldmale
Msg: 952
VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE
Posted: 3/14/2012 7:59:46 PM
I'll bet this thread is over 100 pages by the end of the weekend. I bet Markus is just loving this. LOL
 CheeZmonZter
Msg: 953
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:07:30 PM
I bet marku$ doesn't give a flying rat$ a$$ all he $ee$ are the zero$ adding up in his bank account
 Balance42
Msg: 954
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:09:41 PM
Amazing - another site shooting itself in the foot. I just don't get it.

They forget what made them so good.

It's really a mixed bag though - it's a feature I like and use...but not even close enough to one I would pay for.
 mbrellisford8
Msg: 955
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:17:34 PM
This thread is beginning to sound like a broken record.

I think this is a terrible move of PoF's behalf and I believe this will be the biggest deterrent for existing users. If we are going to have to pay for this functionality, slowly we will go to a more reputable pay site that doesn't have the stigma that PlentyOfFish has. The "Who Viewed Me" is, of course, not a necessity, but it is what made PoF stick out as a free dating site.

Does anyone actually think this site will ever be ad-free? Highly doubt it. Seems like a ploy for money. Suddenly the "World's Largest Online Dating Website" doesn't seem as appealing when functionality is constantly being cut.

I see this as the beginning of the (albeit slow) end.
 CheeZmonZter
Msg: 956
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:36:28 PM
I love how they are deleting threads. I posted a thread requesting information as to why they had decided to go to a full pay site. It had 19 views....and now deleted.....they say:

I don't know how to say this any better than this but the forums do not need 10 pages of redundant threads on 1 topic. Being a newbie doesn't make one exempt from following the same rules as everyone else.

As with all common subject threads, the site tries to devote one thread for the ADMIN to read as flooding the forum prevents other users from reading other threads of interest. If you don't like the policy regarding Thread Redundancy, Spam, or disruptive Protest Threads as outlined in the published forum rules at the top of any forum by the ADMIN/Owner, that you agreed to when signing up by acknowledging the Terms of Service and User Agreement, you can always write to csr@pof.com as it is staffed by employees of POF or you can rescind your agreement and delete your account.

Thread Closed - Redundant - Please Use the Forum Thread Search Tool
$20 that I will be blocked from posting this and nobody will be able to read it. I love being on a censored forum. Thanks POF, Thanks for removing 95% of the reason I was here.

Just to be clear, your thread was deleted (one of the very few to be deleted) as it was merely a protest thread declaring that ther was no such thing as a redundant thread.

Xdresser42
Msg: 957
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:43:33 PM
From the New York Times.
"Mr. Frind operates the business out of his apartment in Vancouver, British Columbia, and he says he has net profits of about $10 million a year."

The only reason for wanting to charge when your free website is making $10 million a year is because of pure greed.

And people still volunteer to work for this site?
 PatrickBerlin
Msg: 958
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:45:39 PM
Due to this decision, the activity on POF will soon diminish. Here's why:

Both men and women use viewed me as a platform to initiate conversation.

The majority of POF users aren't going to pay

The majority of POF users will settle on using POF without viewed me and will, in turn, lose connections that would have existed. Less initiations to communicate will be made. In turn, the desire to log into POF to check on said communications will diminish. POF will lose traffic and lose money. This decision, all told, causes POF to lose $. Greed is a bottomless pit.

Helloitsmeyourlookingfor
Msg: 959
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:46:06 PM

Do you really care????? It's obvious what your customers are looking for. I'm only here for the forums at this point, but I like to see who in the forums is looking at me.

POF = PO B.S.
 Jenocidal
Msg: 960
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:47:48 PM
Lame. Guess I'll go elsewhere....funny how its NOT a paid feature on the mobile version.
I don't mind ads if it keeps the site free. If you can weed out fakes and pervs, it might be worth it, but I doubt you could do that, so forget it!
 Im_Bluffing
Msg: 961
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:51:54 PM
Im not sure if anyone noticed but if you use the iPhone app the feature is still working free on there.
 northerndreamer
Msg: 962
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:01:52 PM
Time to move to a paid site. I had given up on POF long ago and only went to it when I needed an excuse to be distracted from work. The same people always show up- it's like the same 50 guys have been on here for years. Barely anybody new- and if they are there who knows. The site is really low quality- likely because it's free.

I had good luck with eharmony. Real guys who are interested in connecting and don't view the site as a place to shop for women.

POF is popular because it's free. If I were going to pay, I wouldn't pay here. The quality is low.
 enonuf
Msg: 963
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:08:53 PM

Are you kidding me?!?!
 evergreensun
Msg: 964
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:36:01 PM
Read the Press section, under #5 - the New York Times article....
OMG . . . . .
Interesting points noted in this interview with POF founder from 2008
- the founder of the site makes $10 million a year and he works 10 hours a week on it...... the site started as a computer programming 'project'
- founder now also has PAID dating site, 'evow.com'
- he admits he most of the time has to do NOTHING to run this site. He hired one employee to take care of legal issues whenever something would crop up
- by having its own users review the user uploaded photos for nudity or inappropriateness, they do not have to hire more staff/incur costs to monitor their own site or even bother doing any part of this themselves.... so everyone who does this on this site, is DOING THE JOB FOR THEM..... WHY ARE WE DOING THIS??

Pretty interesting read after seeing the recent changes to force users to pay ........
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR ? ? ?
 countrykitten36
Msg: 965
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:58:34 PM
I personally think it is a bad decision made on POF's part . I like others here I am not paying for a dating site , heck that is the main reason most log into sites as such because of the non charge to socialize with others as someone else said here if your looking for ways to improve look deeply into what the biggest percent of your users here are and what they would like to see happen .
 AvidArteest
Msg: 966
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:58:52 PM
I was really close to closing my account here...and this bs is going to push me into it closer.

You get enough money from your ads. It was the only feature that was useful.

This place sucks ass...
 LangleyGuy
Msg: 967
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:04:10 PM
Apparently POF has no ears. Sad 45 pages and you don't have a response. Clearly your clientele has spoken. You are writing then end to your own site with this. Clearly no longer a free site. False advertising much ????
 evergreensun
Msg: 968
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:11:25 PM
"The goal is to be able to remove 100% advertising from the site"

Um, that's easy enough to do already. Use firefox browser with ad blocker = NO ADS

Problem solved.....................
 Believe54
Msg: 969
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:24:28 PM

I am very disappointed by this decision. The "viewed me" feature helped to generate interest in other pof users who I might not normally have seen in my own searches. A free dating site means exactly that, FREE. False advertising........hmmm. I will check out other sites.

I know the site owner will be laughing all the way to the bank.

The exodus has begun
 RunningFool7
Msg: 970
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:35:24 PM
YES!!! Now I can stalk non-paid members without them knowing.

KIDDING!!!
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 971
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:41:14 PM
Definitely false advertising! This is no longer a free site.
How many pay for has this place added in the last year?????
 dresdenlock101
Msg: 972
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:51:39 PM
FAIL...BIG TIME FAIL....this was all free now you are charging all of a sudden?...I'd rather you go back to get ads than this..it just makes people not want to deal with another pay dating site.
 Murble
Msg: 973
Posted: 3/14/2012 11:01:38 PM
Yaaaaaaaargh, methinks this were a poor decision.

I could make a witty point, but we all know that's virtually useless on the internet; so I'll just drop by and show my support for revoking this less-than popular change in service.

Plus, how will I know who's been lookin' at my new, sexy tux otherwise?
 shinyfuture
Msg: 974
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 11:11:34 PM
I am not in favor of paying for "who viewed me"
this feature was free before it should remain this way.
please don't charge for Who viewed me.
 Plenty_of_FreeTime
Msg: 975
Posted: 3/14/2012 11:27:19 PM
Let's see 46 pages (to this point) IN 3 DAYS!

Haven't read all the responses,but from what I have read,I'd venture to guess you'll find roughly a 90-95% DISAPPROVAL trend of reply's!
That should tell the site owners what they are doing won't fly and keep the masses happy.
What's next,a fee per pic,pay by the word,a charge for Forum usage etc.?

Instead of POF=Plenty Of Fish
It's becoming POF= Pay Over Free
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE