Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS H      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 trkdvr1
Msg: 1026
view profile
History
VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HEREPage 42 of 62    (22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62)
To the idiots a POF. Thank you for being stupid. You sure know how to lose people. The reason I joined this site was because it was a FREE site. Now you want to charge for something that was free. Your site is still saying 100% free well if it is free that means free. I guess you and I have a different opion on what free means.
 hornncorndog
Msg: 1027
VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE
Posted: 3/15/2012 9:11:41 PM
This is from his blog I guess we have true.com to thank
"We have previously been sued in the US for using decimal numbers and another time for Matching people… It seems that we are now getting sued because someone somewhere on the internet ran an Advertisement for true.com using an image they did not have rights to. Our only involvement in this case happens to be that one of the places this marketer ran their ads was on POF.com.

I am pretty shocked this lawsuit was even filed -does this mean every Adsense publisher, newspaper or website can now get sued for the contents of the ads that appear on their websites?"

Wow.
 snapperman0069_
Msg: 1028
Posted: 3/15/2012 9:25:35 PM

POF has changed greatly on the last 2 years or so, and not for the better. You claim it's to eliminate the paid advertisements but I doubt the truthfulness of your statement.

I'll be fishing somewhere else now....

brn2roll
Msg: 1029
view profile
History
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/15/2012 9:29:04 PM
I couldn't agree with you more ! Well said...
I mean c'mon POF.com
 blake198902
Msg: 1030
 J_Jet
Msg: 1031
view profile
History
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/15/2012 9:50:15 PM
As with everyone else I think it was a bad move. I am not a business major but I do have my MBA (Masters at Being Amazing). My professional opinion is this - in terms of money.....people are always attracted to "free" even if the product isn't great, "...at least it was free..." people will say. Keeping PoF as free as possible will get back the Users (at least a good portion) whom have already left. Not to mention with more free tools etc. available to the Users...the more new Users you will attract. Now in my studies I have noticed that businesses, strangely enough, are attracted to large groups of people. Now let's say hypothetically you had a HUGE number of Users, world wide even. How much do you think businesses would be willing to pay for that kind of exposure?

In closing - I think you need to go in the opposite direction a little bit. Free up a couple features, keep a few of them in your membership deal. Accept advertising, it isn't a big deal to damn near all on here. I think you would get back some lost Users and keep on bringing in new ones with a "Free and staying Free!" campaign.

Side note - I would like a new feature added "Will not accept messages from paying members." Sorry, but people that are paying people running a "Free" site, only encourages them. Maybe several less subscribers would get the ball rolling? I won't move to another site, but will do my best to discourage people paying for a site that advertises being free.

-True Story-
 Golfindude2
Msg: 1032
Posted: 3/15/2012 10:01:50 PM
I'd like to think plentyoffish would read and care about these messages from the people who use this site, but all they care about is the bottom line. The creator of plentyoffish, I forget his name, should be ashamed of himself- he's forgotten the true reason that he created a free dating site in the first place.
I'm sure he's going to lose a few people from this site, including some of his paying members, who still understand what this site is supposed to be all about. Solidarity, brothers and sisters!
 MagooBear
Msg: 1033
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2012 10:16:57 PM
to pay for this feature is crap!!!!!!
 worldtravlflyn_guy
Msg: 1034
Posted: 3/15/2012 10:40:25 PM
Nothing has changed after a few days. Me thinks they're gauging the backlash to see how many have cancelled vs new members and those new/present members that are giving in and paying to see "view me" and the other payed features. Money talks and POF will preceed by what puts the most money in their pocket and the heck with everyone else. What a shame!
 metalgeek
Msg: 1035
Posted: 3/15/2012 11:00:44 PM
EX-ACT-LY
 juke70
Msg: 1036
Posted: 3/15/2012 11:33:01 PM
break out the lawn chairs and goldfish crackers and occupy pof!
 1ManServingHim
Msg: 1037
Posted: 3/15/2012 11:43:54 PM
I agree, but I couldn't find a way to delete my profile!
 Justeroo
Msg: 1038
Posted: 3/16/2012 12:16:47 AM
POF Has one week to revert this change, or mine and everyone elses profiles are being deleted. They'll see how much money their advertising actually brings in, and their bullshit "goal" of striving to be ad free is just stupid. The ads on this site have never been intrusive, in fact as a web developer I frequently use this site as an example of advertising on the web done right.

Ads = money
Pushing your clients away =/= money

Do the math.
 GiantRobot1967
Msg: 1039
Posted: 3/16/2012 12:26:31 AM
Lets hope that the Paying members will save the site when the 3/4ths that wont pay leave.

1/4th of the paying members wont have much to choose from ,and when I delete my account, and many many others do. I hope that when I check on my deleted account that you are NOT using it to bloat your numbers so the paying members still feel that they are paying for a HUGE dating pool.
 KimInOly
Msg: 1040
Posted: 3/16/2012 1:39:00 AM
Not happy about the new fees popping up. Just watch as the site starts to lose members. People talk about this site, and recommend this site BECAUSE you've been known as a great site for singles where you don't have to pay all the ridiculous fees. I've been on here for a while and I've watched as you added a penny charge here and another charge there. I'm thinking of leaving.

It's also a little sad that you say that you've started adding these fees so that you can diminish advertisements on the site. I never had a problem with them and you were making money. What's the problem?
Mark my words.. the more fees you add the more people will leave.
 lorie123
Msg: 1041
view profile
History
SO DISAGREE
Posted: 3/16/2012 2:36:14 AM
So disappointed in the change POF has done. The word "free" dating site no longer applies. I rely on the "whos viewed me" feature to decide if i am interested in that person. Without it, POF has little to offer anymore. I would much rather have advertisements on this site -vs- losing this capability.

One more sign of the times.... do believe Match.com would be a better site if i have to pay :(
 Farm_Boy
Msg: 1042
Posted: 3/16/2012 2:57:12 AM
It's not a coincidence. I'm sure Markus sees the numbers, and after this length of time, it's obvious that he is deliberately reducing the traffic on this website. According to information available online, POF has had a gross revenue of almost $6 million for each of the last two years. A very tidy sum, especially considering that Markus works about one hour a day. The site is automated, and basically runs itself. The moderators do a good job, and in addition there are the self-moderating aspects of this website. Markus spends his time living the life of a man of leisure, travelling with his wife and their friends.

He will do what he wants to do. Obviously he will retain the huge advertising income. So the question is, why does he want to reduce traffic on this website? There are several possible answers to that question, but they are all speculation. Even the moderators don't know the answer to that.
 bkw817
Msg: 1043
Posted: 3/16/2012 2:57:47 AM
I remember years ago reading how POF was created... he looked at pay for dating sites and said hey I can do that better for free...

Guess what? So can a bunch of other people... better then POF...
 blondeitalian
Msg: 1044
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2012 3:40:13 AM
What's this all about????Are you kidding me?..I'll go to match .com before I'll pay for view me feature....been here for many years but I guess you don't want or care anymore....bring back the view me feature....such a stupid move on your part
 grass-hopher
Msg: 1045
Posted: 3/16/2012 3:45:11 AM
great free site, viewed me this year, I wonder what features will be next, they say they want to get rid of the annoying advertising, personally I never really paid any attention to the ads, just saying ................. happy fishing everyone... dip your line now before you have to start paying for the bait
 MDIYM59
Msg: 1046
Posted: 3/16/2012 3:52:58 AM
Even pay sites have advertising, so I'm not buying that ads will go away if we all start paying. I think it's a big mistake. Keep the ads and keep the site free, "free" is why people flock here in the first place. My membership days are numbered, 100, 99, 98, 97.........
 Emerex
Msg: 1047
Posted: 3/16/2012 3:58:42 AM
QUESTION:

Some people pay for an upgraded membership. Let me ask you all this. HOW is an upgraded membership suppose to help get you a date? If my memory serves me right. MANY MEN/WOMEN will consider that said person being NEEDY/TRYING too hard. or will try to buy their way into things. Now if I rewind this a little. That's what we call a WUSSY. So how many men/women want one of those? What the holy monkey is an upgraded membership suppose to achieve? Are you kidding me here? Do tell me, HOW an upgraded membership helps you, it seems to be AGAINST you. So those who pay, you may wanna check yourself. You can't buy a date, or love. It comes naturally.

So Markus/anyone who owns a dating site. How is paying suppose to help you? Do tell me please. I got the time to hear it.

I mean, what type of guy or woman wants someone who's trying to buy their way into things. Pretty sure it makes you look desperate.

P.S: Don't tell me you can't tell if someone has an upgraded membership, it's EASY to tell, and therefore. It's EASY to knock to put you in LAST place.
 zothen
Msg: 1048
Posted: 3/16/2012 4:15:44 AM
Just a few things that I have noticed!!!
On studying statistics, we are told that if you do any type of survey, then on average only 10% of the population will respond. So, the roughly 1000 people who have reacted negatively are part of the 10,000 people that do not like the change from a free to paid feature!
Next observation is the so called blog that states that pof was buying in to other dating sites with the only requirement being that they had at least 100,000 members. Interestingly, they also mention the buy out cost of ok cupid, so I guess this means (not confirmed) that it is now owned by pof.com. Kind of makes rage quitting and going there redundant! If you want a list of dating sites that pof.com may have at least part ownership of, then log in to pof.com, then log out again, this will provide you with a list of possible’s! This also gives a clue as to why most of the advertising on pof.com is from other dating sites, and why there is a need to stop the advertising. Paying your self never pays!
Next observation, once pof.com decide that most people have had their say, it is a simple matter of 1 mouse click to delete the entire rant that all of us have had over the last few days! Most likely the reason they created this thread and also why the very quickly closed out other threads relating to this matter!
I could say a few other things but will end by saying that the viewed me feature provides access to other members that may not appear in any other search results, thus reducing the number of members profiles that you may see!
One last thing, they really need to change their 100% FREE statement, 100% means ALL of something, so this is false advertising!!!
 AskAnyone
Msg: 1049
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2012 4:41:33 AM
I had a feeling this dating site would eventually start charging the members a fee. I guess the trick was to get thousands of people to make a profile and enjoy the benefits of meeting folks online for free. Once enough people joined ( for free ) then POF would start charging them for the services that were once...you guessed it, FOR FREE. Last year POF began charging people to see if someone read your e-mails to a potential mate. That feature too was free at one time... LOL.

Charging folks to see who viewed their profile is the last straw for me. It sorta boosted my ego to check my profile each day. Now to charge folks for that feature cheapens it. I hope it was all worth it for POF.
 The Waiting Knight
Msg: 1050
Posted: 3/16/2012 5:33:06 AM
41 pages of negative comments should tell you something. POF was totally free when I started on here and through time it has become like all the others. Did it dawn on you that by becoming a pay site opens up to more scammers and your credit card informtion being compromised? No method or level of security is 100%. It simply allows those that are dishonest to avoid boredom. Women in my age group use this feature to break the ice. They are not as open as the younger generation. I think I will be moving on because you had something good and are slowly destroying it. 41 pages can't be all wrong.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE