Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS H      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Blue sky lover
Msg: 1101
VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HEREPage 45 of 62    (22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62)
Everyone should just go to O k.
 funclimbing
Msg: 1102
view profile
History
VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE
Posted: 3/16/2012 7:27:29 PM
a sad state, POF says it's an attempt to eliminate the need for advertising on the site. What wrong with ads there everywhere and we are able to choose to look at them or not don't need POF to filter things for us.

Thumbs down POF
you're just stunting communication by not letting us see how has viewed us.

I would say reverse your decision and gain loyalty
 winediscoverer
Msg: 1103
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/16/2012 8:12:17 PM
All I can say is is the better site...by far. Go there instead of here. I'm deleting my profile. What a douchbag Marcus is!!!!! I've always thought that anyway. This site sucks!!!!
 clover_79
Msg: 1104
Posted: 3/16/2012 8:30:09 PM
Is everybody going to have to pay and you just haven't got around to everybody yet, because some people still have that feature free.
 OfDoom
Msg: 1105
New free site please!
Posted: 3/16/2012 8:45:38 PM
Can someone tell me of a good FREE site now? I won't be using PoF anymore. Next!
 oh_hell
Msg: 1106
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2012 8:48:37 PM
Guess I picked a bad time to come back to this site. Last year I came here from another site that uses vague questions and algorithms to try to guess what people are compatible and then puts them into little boxes where they can interact. I found it annoying and I came here and loved this place because I could and did meet people from all walks of life. I would send and receive 10 or 20 messages a week and had a great time chatting with all sorts of different folks. I used the "viewed me" feature extensively because it felt more natural messaging those who had already clicked my profile than just random people.

Anyways I'm not really here to complain, but I do think it was a bad decision to make it a paid feature. In the week or so since I came back I've only sent one message and received one - quite a downturn from the times when I was struggling just to keep up with all the convos I had going on. Nothing changed in my profile in between so unless there's something else that happened in the past month or two that's killing the conversation on here I think it must be this.

Less ways for people to approach each other means less people talking to each other which means less fun for everyone and a worse site all around. The purported reasoning behind removing the "viewed me" function for free users is to make the site ad-free but I've got just as many ads as ever. The whole thing reeks of a cash grab but like I said - I'm not here to complain. However, since this site has slowed down to the point that I'm talking to less people than on the site I originally came from I don't know how much I will use POF anymore.
 ShareAMilkshake
Msg: 1107
Posted: 3/16/2012 9:20:29 PM
I use PoF because it is free and most people in my area use it.

That said if I had the choice I would rather use Ok Cupid. For a plethora of reasons that seem pretty obvious to me. So I have to wonder what the motivation is behind this... I mean, I'm fine with tasteful adds. Why turn away users like me just to eliminate all adds?

Just my two cents.
 Eddie1962150
Msg: 1108
Posted: 3/16/2012 9:35:05 PM
Well, Simply put, Markus is shooting himself in the foot. Instead of getting people to pay what he is really accomplishing is running people off. Right now is one of the worst times to try to charge people for anything really. There are way to many people who are out of work and just plain out can't afford it. Besides that, The same people you see here you also see on other free dating sites. Why pay here when I can get it over there for free?

All Markus is doing is sending his business to these other sites. People who could be clicking on ads on his site and putting money in his pocket are now going to his rival, . This is his site. He can do as he sees fit. But to most business men self-destruction of their business is not an option. One last thing, Why would anyone in there right mind want to pay to be ignored? I've been around POF all together I would say something close to six yrs. I've seen a lot. The great majority of messages go ignored. Not just men. But women too.

I mean, Lets just face facts here. Online dating attracts some of the weirdest people in the world. You sift through a thousand profiles and you "might" get lucky enough to meet one person with a little something going on between their ears. If you are a woman you might get lucky enough in a few years to finally meet a guy that wants you for more than a bed buddy. Online dating is one of the most aggravating things a man or woman can do. What would make Markus or any other online dating site owner think that anyone would want to pay for anything that has anything to do with online dating?

It's his site. He can do what he wants. But in the mean time I guess I will be visiting POF less and O.K.C.U.P.I.D more. Good luck with it.
 Golfindude2
Msg: 1109
Posted: 3/16/2012 9:55:49 PM
I noticed that the average number of people online for a Friday night has gone down, probably by about 50 to 80 thousand people-could just be a fluke, or maybe people are abandoning ship[or the pond] and going to other sites like OK Cupid.
Looking forward to plentyoffish slowly going belly up. They could turn this ship around before it sinks, but they won't.
 SeaxyWaves
Msg: 1110
Seriously!?!
Posted: 3/16/2012 10:20:33 PM
How short sighted is this? U have to have ur head in the sand not to know how Facebook became a billion $$$ company- Not from their patrons- too finite! And, most subscribers of other dating sites don't stay for more than one tern. Facebook's advertising revenues are infinite. I'm really quite shocked to see that POF, the industry forerunner, is just too uncreative and lazy to explore the new Internet frontiers.......

As a patron, the way I see it is that POF is charging ME for others to look at MY picture free= an invasion of my privacy. (We all know that 90% of the activity here are just browers) I will be looking at other options for singles....

The bottom line is that I don't know anyone who complains about the advertising on a free site....

This pathway is ur demise!
 Spammedyams
Msg: 1111
Posted: 3/16/2012 10:28:15 PM
This decision alone is why I am canceling my account this very second. Idiots.
 seriouslaugher
Msg: 1112
My form of protest...
Posted: 3/16/2012 10:32:10 PM
I think that from here on in I will NOT view anyone's profile if they have paid for the formerly free feature. If we all did that..
 SeaxyWaves
Msg: 1113
Posted: 3/16/2012 10:37:26 PM
Ditto Markus!. And I remember when Paypal said it would always be FREE also. Not only did they start fees but then they now actually belong to Ebay- which is a nightmare when u r a seller!

BTW, just wanted u to know i viewed ur file
 seriouslaugher
Msg: 1114
Posted: 3/16/2012 10:40:13 PM
I have added this to my profile:
Notice: My form of protest regarding the unannounced charges for use the Viewed Me feature is to NOT view anyone's profile who has upgraded.
 hornncorndog
Msg: 1115
Posted: 3/16/2012 11:08:01 PM
Here a thought there ia supposely a lawsuit against POF. What better way to minimize damage than to devalue POF drive it into the ground or should I say pond abiet a bit dry.

Or What ads I dont see no stinking ads.

Oh will off I go to check the other site.
 Its2AM
Msg: 1116
Business 101 for POF Management
Posted: 3/17/2012 12:09:40 AM
Dear POF management:

The way to build a successful business of any kind is to make your service indispensable to those who use it. The question here is not how to force users to pay but rather how to make the site so awesome people line up to pay (think Apple).

People don't want to be corralled like cattle; they want to be enticed with a carrot. In other words, add cool new features that are so good we want to upgrade instead of taking away features we already enjoyed for free.

People who use a free website are not people who are going to pay to use that same site because you have taken features away. Management has failed to understand human nature here. Management has failed to understand how this site actually works.

If you want to own and operate a pay for use website go and build or buy one of those. Don't take a successful free site and completely change everything that once made the site great.

I doubt management has actually read the 50 plus pages of complaints, but if you did you may learn how to give your current customer what they want. Maximize what you have here instead of breaking it and driving users away. At the very least give us more and entice us to pay. Do not take features away and believe anyone will happily pay you to get them back.

It costs 10 times more to acquire a new user than it does to keep one you already have. I'm never going to pay to use this site. There are so many pay sites to choose from that if I have to pay I'm going to explore my options. People are upset with the new directions of this site listen to what you are being told. I’m happy to have advertisers in exchange for a free website. And guess what, so is every other user on here – that’s what brought us here in the first place!

There are so many companies currently making a fortune with completely free services (see Google, Facebook, Groupon, etc). Be like them.
 Its2AM
Msg: 1117
101 Manual for users that think the rules dont apply to them
Posted: 3/17/2012 12:14:08 AM
MODS:

If I wanted my post put specifically connected to the View Me scandal I would have posted it there originally.

My original post does not mention View Me at all. The post is about the ever increasing features being taken away in the hopes of generating revenue.

PLEASE put it back.

Moderators are here to enforce the forum rules. I deemed your thread redundant and it will stay that way. Request denied.

jackfrost93
Msg: 1118
Posted: 3/17/2012 12:35:20 AM
... o k c u p i d .... is far superior in every way.
...never had any luck here - the quality of people are bottom of the barrel ignorant pond scum nazi republican xtians with -zero- IQ .
 SouthMissDJ
Msg: 1119
Posted: 3/17/2012 12:38:34 AM
Bring it back or loose this member and any chance of me suggesting this site.
You have 30 days.
 kasandroid
Msg: 1120
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/17/2012 12:56:59 AM
I think I am paying enough for my internet bill, and whatever new fee they keep adding to that and the cable and the phone, so yeah not shelling out more money for a place that quite frankly is being used as a free brothel so do whatever you want I'm saving my pennies for the grocery store.
 Stevemageddon
Msg: 1121
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2012 1:12:16 AM
I really think it's funny that the banner at the top of this page still claims to be a "100% FREE dating site".
While a totally different type of company, one would think that POF would have learned from the mistakes made by Netflix last year...
And I ask the same question as some others here- is this forum just for appearances? Or is it here to actually guage the responses to this seemingly unannounced and somewhat douche-y business decision.
Enquiring minds want to know...
 buggy-pie
Msg: 1122
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2012 1:54:26 AM
Well, i am recently new to this site and thought it was great. Unfortunately this recent event has made me delve into things and i have found that over the last 12-18 months other features have been a Pay basis too.

Have used this as an opportunity to search for other free dating sites and so have been signing up elsewhere and actually found some real nice alternatives.

I dont know if i hadnt had the POF encouragement to look elsewhere if i would have bothered but hey, am glad i did.
 savoirfaire711
Msg: 1123
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2012 1:58:47 AM
I don't like how they changed this, they had an item for free that seperated them from the rest. It was a very helpful tool to help members see what other members might have found intrest in them. Which kind of gave you an ideal of who you might be attracting. This feature also promoted more conversations between members that might not have crossed paths otherwise. POF switching this service to a pay feature makes me leary of sites real intent.
 petal115
Msg: 1124
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2012 2:27:54 AM
Oh my, I finaly get a reason to send out a few msg's.....after a few days.. no responce from anyone.
ok. so i have a look to see if they have read my msg. ...ahhhh no can do.
ok, i see if they even been online lately.... no can do.
ok, i see if they have veiwed me.... still, no can do.
whats the point!
Im not paying when there were only 4 pages of profiles in my age group (35-55) in a town of 60 thousand ppl (and a radius of 100km) in which 5 that had a nice profile dont reply to msg's.
Not a good dating site POF.
 GotReal
Msg: 1125
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2012 2:34:20 AM
I AM an upgraded member and STILL can't use this feature. I have emailed support several times now but am getting no response. This is exceptionally poor service. Please rectify it immediately.

Thanks
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE