Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS H      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 elbowsup1
Msg: 1126
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments herePage 46 of 62    (22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62)
Bye bye birdie, oops I meant fish. The "viewed me" section is why I subscribed to the " free" dating site in the first place. Hey, wait a minute, that doesn't make sense does it. Now I will leave since they have become greedy like the others. If anybody starts a good dating site that has reasonable rates please let me know. Wish I had the capability to do it, it would be ten dollars a month tops, then people would stay for long periods until they found what they have to rush to find on these expensive sites.
 your_evidence
Msg: 1127
view profile
History
 okayletshavefun
Msg: 1128
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/16/2012 4:02:19 PM
WTF

Didn't he already make enough money on the Ads?

Last I checked he claims over 300,000 online....

Perhaps if everyone would Click Through on an Ad, and Not buy anything his revenue might drop... Hmmmmmmm
 cranbrook2
Msg: 1129
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2012 4:14:39 PM
Might as well change the name to Plenty of Suckers !!
 BeachCrusin
Msg: 1130
Posted: 3/16/2012 4:45:02 PM
Use to think this was a pretty neat site. Not so much now. If you're going to advertise this site as a free site, then be a free site. If not you fall in the ranks of Match.com and all the other pay sites. While it's true that you can still contact other members free I think, like myself, most of the members used the Viewed Me Now section as a way of seeing who may or may not have an interest in the other party. May seem trivial but if you look at someones profile and they don't bother to look at yours then you pretty well know they aren't interested in you contacting them and you've at least dodged one rejection bullet. I am sure many, like myself, will start looking at other sites where we can have a gauge of sorts to try and figure out who may or may not be interested. I wonder, has there be any complaints about the advertisements on this site? They don't bother me. Shame, this was a pretty neat site.
 MDIYM59
Msg: 1131
Posted: 3/16/2012 5:26:27 PM
I have a question, if I do pay to see who has viewed me, will I see those who like to browse anonymously, or only the people that don't mind if I know they checked my profile?
I mean wouldn't paying for this feature totally defeat the "view anonymously" feature? How is that going to work. And like I said before, every pay site has some advertising on it for something or other so at least be honest and say we just want to get paid more. That I could at least respect. But paying to see who has viewed me; BIG
 RayFromTheHeart
Msg: 1132
view profile
History
VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE
Posted: 3/16/2012 5:41:29 PM

I would guess that it really doesn't matter how we (your patrons) feel about having to pay for a service that was free a week ago. What good is all this BLOG if you don't want to hear us or do anything about what we want?
 criticalenzo
Msg: 1133
Posted: 3/16/2012 6:15:42 PM
Just give me adds you morons. I don't care about the adds. Don't take my functionality away. Put as much advertisements as you want. I'm never paying for Plenty Of Fish. If I ever have to pay to use this site, I'm just going to use another free dating site.
 zothen
Msg: 1134
Posted: 3/16/2012 6:17:36 PM
The main problem now is that you can no longer see if someone read your message after sending them a message, and now you can not tell if they even looked at your profile after sending them a message, so this (NOT 100% FREE) web site is now too pathetic to bother to continue to use!!!
 muckball81
Msg: 1135
Posted: 3/16/2012 6:24:53 PM
when i view a profile
i simple type a message stating
"i viewed your profile"
oh and telling us they want to be ad free.............what planet are these people on?
 Petereaston
Msg: 1136
Posted: 3/16/2012 6:25:50 PM
I've noticed the number of those using the site has dropped off in my area, it truly sucks now and the lack of being able to use the who viewed me feature as a intro to communication is making the process very tedious. Whomever had the brilliant idea to try and impose user fees on that feature should be TERMINATED from the company IMMEDIATELY.
 songster100
Msg: 1137
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2012 6:43:50 PM
I remember when Markus said this site was free, and always would be. Now one of its most valuable features, one that lets you figure out who just MIGHT be interested in meeting you, is becoming a paid feature.
Markus, you aren't the only clever geek out there - nothing is stopping someone from creating a new site with all of the features you're taking away from us, and making the kind of money you've made from this site.
And when it happens, you'll very shortly no longer be the number one site for dating, will you?
Think about it Markus. What made you so successful in the first place? POF was free. Change that, you just become one of the 'other' sites, and, from what I've seen, if I have to pay, they offer more than do you.
Think before you kill the goose that has laid your golden egg chum.
 criticalenzo
Msg: 1138
Posted: 3/16/2012 6:45:03 PM
Another thing I want to say is that this site has the potential to change dating in America. If you keep it free, I know this site is going to be the facebook of dating. Everyone will use it in the next few years. If you keep taking away free functionality, no will sign up. Once this site gets like Match and the other sites what will set you apart from them? That you have more users? Who cares? I dont. I think the problem is that you don't have better advertisements. You only have dating ones. Why not throw some vacation or sports adds on the blue area? Think, what do people want to do with their dates... Restaurant advertisements, Movie advertisements. You guys aren't trying hard enough. I thought about that for five minutes and could come up with better ideas than your team. You guys aren't giving your clients what they want. I could understand if you created something new to this site and made it a upgrade only functionality, but taking away something that your clients already had for free just angers them.

Here are some of my ideas:
Why not add something like a poke? you could poke people and get a message...

Why not make holiday items. Saint patricks day could be a 4 leaf clover that you can send to people.

How about a dating locations section where you can find discounted movie tickets, or events in your area... You can have companies post their restaurant, or whatever to this section for a fee. Kind of like google adds. Why am I not working for you yet. Message me back if you need any more ideas. I'll help you guys. For real. I work in the field.
 songster100
Msg: 1139
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2012 6:56:23 PM
Back in 2006, Markus was apparently bringing in $10,000 per day from POF. According to the POF Wordpress blog, Markus visited 25 countries in 2011, and has set aside some $10 million to invest in other companies.
All of this without asking us to pay for POF. Now he's making it a pay site, so I guess he isn't rich enough yet perhaps?
Wait until this plan backfires.
 singleguy3939
Msg: 1140
Posted: 3/16/2012 7:07:36 PM
markus is a lying sack of crap. plain and simple
 rcl12341234
Msg: 1141
Posted: 3/16/2012 7:09:06 PM
money grab only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 TheNHLsAJoke
Msg: 1142
Posted: 3/16/2012 7:20:54 PM
Hah greedy or what, wow.....
 Blue sky lover
Msg: 1143
Posted: 3/16/2012 7:25:31 PM
Everyone should just go to O k.
 funclimbing
Msg: 1144
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2012 7:27:29 PM
a sad state, POF says it's an attempt to eliminate the need for advertising on the site. What wrong with ads there everywhere and we are able to choose to look at them or not don't need POF to filter things for us.

Thumbs down POF
you're just stunting communication by not letting us see how has viewed us.

I would say reverse your decision and gain loyalty
 winediscoverer
Msg: 1145
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/16/2012 8:12:17 PM
All I can say is is the better site...by far. Go there instead of here. I'm deleting my profile. What a douchbag Marcus is!!!!! I've always thought that anyway. This site sucks!!!!
 clover_79
Msg: 1146
Posted: 3/16/2012 8:30:09 PM
Is everybody going to have to pay and you just haven't got around to everybody yet, because some people still have that feature free.
 OfDoom
Msg: 1147
New free site please!
Posted: 3/16/2012 8:45:38 PM
Can someone tell me of a good FREE site now? I won't be using PoF anymore. Next!
 oh_hell
Msg: 1148
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2012 8:48:37 PM
Guess I picked a bad time to come back to this site. Last year I came here from another site that uses vague questions and algorithms to try to guess what people are compatible and then puts them into little boxes where they can interact. I found it annoying and I came here and loved this place because I could and did meet people from all walks of life. I would send and receive 10 or 20 messages a week and had a great time chatting with all sorts of different folks. I used the "viewed me" feature extensively because it felt more natural messaging those who had already clicked my profile than just random people.

Anyways I'm not really here to complain, but I do think it was a bad decision to make it a paid feature. In the week or so since I came back I've only sent one message and received one - quite a downturn from the times when I was struggling just to keep up with all the convos I had going on. Nothing changed in my profile in between so unless there's something else that happened in the past month or two that's killing the conversation on here I think it must be this.

Less ways for people to approach each other means less people talking to each other which means less fun for everyone and a worse site all around. The purported reasoning behind removing the "viewed me" function for free users is to make the site ad-free but I've got just as many ads as ever. The whole thing reeks of a cash grab but like I said - I'm not here to complain. However, since this site has slowed down to the point that I'm talking to less people than on the site I originally came from I don't know how much I will use POF anymore.
 ShareAMilkshake
Msg: 1149
Posted: 3/16/2012 9:20:29 PM
I use PoF because it is free and most people in my area use it.

That said if I had the choice I would rather use Ok Cupid. For a plethora of reasons that seem pretty obvious to me. So I have to wonder what the motivation is behind this... I mean, I'm fine with tasteful adds. Why turn away users like me just to eliminate all adds?

Just my two cents.
 Eddie1962150
Msg: 1150
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/16/2012 9:35:05 PM
Well, Simply put, Markus is shooting himself in the foot. Instead of getting people to pay what he is really accomplishing is running people off. Right now is one of the worst times to try to charge people for anything really. There are way to many people who are out of work and just plain out can't afford it. Besides that, The same people you see here you also see on other free dating sites. Why pay here when I can get it over there for free?

All Markus is doing is sending his business to these other sites. People who could be clicking on ads on his site and putting money in his pocket are now going to his rival, . This is his site. He can do as he sees fit. But to most business men self-destruction of their business is not an option. One last thing, Why would anyone in there right mind want to pay to be ignored? I've been around POF all together I would say something close to six yrs. I've seen a lot. The great majority of messages go ignored. Not just men. But women too.

I mean, Lets just face facts here. Online dating attracts some of the weirdest people in the world. You sift through a thousand profiles and you "might" get lucky enough to meet one person with a little something going on between their ears. If you are a woman you might get lucky enough in a few years to finally meet a guy that wants you for more than a bed buddy. Online dating is one of the most aggravating things a man or woman can do. What would make Markus or any other online dating site owner think that anyone would want to pay for anything that has anything to do with online dating?

It's his site. He can do what he wants. But in the mean time I guess I will be visiting POF less and O.K.C.U.P.I.D more. Good luck with it.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE