Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS H      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 QuietIrish
Msg: 1226
view profile
History
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments herePage 50 of 62    (22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62)
"viewed me" was just about the only reason I ever came onto PoF anymore. The "matches" I get never change, it is always the same people it has been for the last year. Few new people join this site already, and a change like this is not going to help that any. There are a slew of people who basically leave this thing running 24/7 so that they are always on the top of searches, so coming here every 2 weeks and running a search just gets you the list of the same people who are "online now" "chat now" "was online today" BS.

The "viewed me" feature was the main reason I would pop in, see if my profile had attracted anyone new who might have popped in to take a look and see if they looked interesting. I am at the point with the lack of "new blood" into the site and the same people on the searches and my matches that I no longer actually even use those.

So in effect PoF, you removed the only reason I come to the site or have an account. You can probably count on me deleting my profile in the next few days when I get the time, you killed the last point in my having it at all. You get too many people doing the same and lose the number of participants in the site and you lose the draw OF the site, the people. Facebook is the leading online social networking site because it is the most popular of them and that is where everyone is. Sites like that and like this grow akin to gravity. The bigger your site becomes the more people will be drawn to join it, and the more of those people that join causes the site to become even more of a draw to additional people. It is an ongoing cycle and the best adverstising that money CANNOT buy is a huge user base. You simply cannot "buy" the kind of popularity that Facebook has, that is completely the result of word of mouth and the fact that the site became large enough to self sustain simply because now EVERYONE is on it.

There is alot of money in a "free" social netowrking site, there is alot of potential money in a completely free social networking "singles" site that gave people 100% free content, little "games" that could be played between users where they could "chat" within the game and get to know each other online. Advertising is something that 99% of people would rather deal with when the alternative is getting out your credit card. Trying to say "oh we are doing it for you so you don't have to see ads anymore!!!" is a joke, do you really think that the majoritty of your users want to be forced to pay for the site so that they do not see ads anymore? Give me a break.

You are going to kill this site doing this. If I were you I would sell it now to facebook or whoever before you decimate the only thing of value on it, the active user database, us, which is where you are going with this. In 5 years this site will be worth as much as www.datingisfun!larf.net.

Anyhow, in a way this is alright, one less thing to take up some of my time and less spam in my inbox. Toodles PoF, hope you get a clue before you destroy what you hve going.
 lilyellowbus
Msg: 1227
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/18/2012 2:52:15 PM
I am not happy with POF right now...how long will it be that nothing on here is free?? You will be just like all the other sites. Keep your paid ads.
 Sidney_BC
Msg: 1228
Posted: 3/18/2012 3:05:28 PM
Losing the "Viewed Me Feature", and before the "read, read deleted, and unread deleted"
was also taken away, POF was fantastic. It is not fantastic any more. I just signed up to another dating site. Just on principal, POF can hardly keep saying they are the largest "FREE" dating site in the world. Nothing free about this new feature.
POF has gone from something special, to something just like all the rest.
If the recent lawsuit was the reason for wanting to ditch your main source of revenue, I would rather send money for your defense than pay for "Viewed Me".
We all know you had nothing to do with the ad other than to allow it to be run.
Please re-instate the viewed me. This is alienating your most valued clients.
Thanks, Markus.
 Cheetara421
Msg: 1229
VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE
Posted: 3/18/2012 3:41:45 PM
Why would you make us now pay for something that was free in the past...not cool!!!
 pulsebabe
Msg: 1230
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2012 3:44:04 PM
is it my imagination of is pof gradually becoming a site that we will need to pay for? certain functions are now only available if you pay for them and the reason from the site is that they are trying to do away with advertising. pof has always been a free site, accessible to everyone, if you make it a paid site no one will come on here. there are lots of paid dating sites around, what has always made this site different is that it is totally free and it is up to us to syphon out the members who take advantage of that by not being honest about their status, etc.

whats wrong with having advertising, it doesnt affect the site, it doesnt affect the people on the site, so why are you beginning to force members to pay to use this site?

i for one would prefer to keep the advertising and leave this site how it has always been, free.
 bigtedEbear
Msg: 1231
Posted: 3/18/2012 3:50:48 PM
This is the straw that breaks the camles back; now POF will be among the more expensive sites, and is certainly the most expensive "free" site!
 PlentyofFreckles73
Msg: 1232
Posted: 3/18/2012 3:56:20 PM
I prefer ads over losing this feature.

A key reason for the change is to raise revenue so ads can be removed.

Why not give people the option between having ads and having free features.
 RainbowAspect
Msg: 1233
Posted: 3/18/2012 4:40:17 PM
Well vote with your feet, nothing is free anymore, with regret I say that - this is all becoming about Apps and stuff thats whats killing this like the internet reduced book sales and tv viewer habits..its evolution simple.
 TheWhiskeyBear
Msg: 1234
Posted: 3/18/2012 5:04:30 PM
hate to chime in, but the "Viewed Me" gave me courage some how to approach females to start a convo. It might sound strange but it help me man up sometimes.
 partners4life2012
Msg: 1235
Posted: 3/18/2012 5:08:42 PM
This move was meant to do two things. It was meant to force more people to do searches and push up the page views. More page views equals more money on from PPL and PPC. It was also meant to make a few million.

I personally feel the move has alienated a lot of people, but it won't matter in the end to them since they will only lose a small percentage of the people using their site and will make more money in the process.

The thing that irks me and will probably hurt them with possible class-action lawsuits is saying the site is "100% Free" and charging people for services. Another problem is telling people you want to eliminate ads, charging people, and then having them still see the ads. It comes off bad and shows it's all about the money. Personally, I'd pay $50 a year just to get rid of the ads that promote "sex sites", "fat dating", and all the other garbage and disrespectful ads that are seen throughout this site.
 Womac911
Msg: 1236
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2012 5:08:43 PM
Well, next the "search" feature will be a pay feature too.

I'm done. I used the viewed me to see who was looking, as they often didn't show up in searches, and also gave an indication of which users were actually active.
 nighthawk035
Msg: 1237
Posted: 3/18/2012 5:11:59 PM
I agree who cares how many ads are on here that is just a scam . These people that run this site are what we call where i am from cod fish. Which means bottom feeders cant get any lower than that.THEY SUCK ASS.
 1tallgalhdrider
Msg: 1238
Posted: 3/18/2012 5:47:04 PM
Think it is a big mistake! You will lose business.
 Aquatic0Arkangel
Msg: 1239
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2012 6:27:28 PM
It's saddened and irked me at the same time. I considered it one of my favorite free dating sites (not my number one, --and this is thus further proving why it's not my number one) but I visit here alot less now because of how we now have to pay now. What you should offer, is additional 'cool' features for plus members like one of your competitor dating sites have. But I dislike the idea of you taking away the things that were already free. You should be adding new features and make us pay for those. Not take away something that was free and now make us pay for it. It's sad to think that I have to pay just to see who's looked at my profile. Rather ridiculous if you ask me. This site is clearly not worth my time as much as it used to be.
 scaveman
Msg: 1240
Posted: 3/18/2012 6:50:20 PM
Ok, I have a question for the moderator(s).

But first let me preface it by saying I once dated a volunteer forum moderator from another site. It was a paid dating site, but catered to the Christian community. I figure there's a couple reasons why a person might volunteer to moderate a forum: they believe in the principles of the site and want to support it, or they don't have a life.

My question is (assuming that you believe in the principles of POF, and want to support it by volunteering your time to moderate the forum), what say you to the changes here? It seems the site is gradually becoming pay-to-use. Is this what you signed up for? Are these the principles you signed up for to volunteer your precious time to?

I haven't read 60 pages of posts, but it seems that any posts I've seen from the moderators have been along the lines of "we're just making sure the forum rules are being followed".

I'm not really a big forum follower, but I've looked around the forums and can't find any other thread that comes close to 60 pages of posts on any subject. Nearly all posts here, are negative regarding features becoming pay-to-play.

There's also another aspect to the 'viewed me' feature going paid, that I haven't seen in other posts. The 'viewed me' window also linked to a page of users that I had viewed. On that page, it listed users that I viewed, who are online, and available to chat with. I used that feature quite often. So, it's not just the 'viewed me' feature that's gone now.

I'm interested in other users thoughts about that aspect of things too.
 thekgmaster
Msg: 1241
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2012 7:10:25 PM
This is BS. But oh well. Time to try to meet women in person, as hard as it's been for me these past few years.
 trying2bereal
Msg: 1242
Posted: 3/18/2012 7:31:31 PM
terrible idea
So much for a free site
 vegasguyforyou
Msg: 1243
Posted: 3/18/2012 7:36:15 PM
I agree with the many who have added posts. Our option is to Email the Big Fish...Humm...why is he not following this? I will delete as well soon and feel that
POF (aka Big Fish) has made tons of money on Advertising. Check out all the internet
chatter on POF inc and how he has made his money. Which is great. But for us Followers of MANY Years...we bought into the Advertising only this and left other
sites for the BEST site...POF...but it was free as Advertising money was made. So trips around the world and Apartments for a lavish king were made from advertising. Lets keep it that way...Lets Grow POF strong.....not just Bigger and more costly.

Thanks for the rant
 htxt
Msg: 1244
Posted: 3/18/2012 7:46:35 PM
?Why ?why ?why
 Golf4evr
Msg: 1245
Posted: 3/18/2012 7:47:54 PM
The advertisemnet of a free site is getting slim. Use more ads. From a magizine background......we did not make our money from subscriptions, we made it from ads. Use your imagination,, use more ads,, NOT POP UPS!!! but place ads in different locations,, like a double size pick in side your viewed me. think about how many ads people would see and how many rotations you could place daily for every click on viewed me. Surely you could get your smart programmers to figure that out,, like rotate the position with each click.. Or have an ad that comes up in your inbox corner,, look , it doesnt have to take a page,, mabe a 2 inch square block.. Think people,, how many clicks a day would an ad get if it came up on the screen in the corner of the inbox for every person that checked email. Just like the ads that come up on the right side.. put one on the left.. that ad drives in more funds than a subscription, Just a thought... if dish network has 20 million viewers,, and they make a price hike of $ 1.oo a month,,, 240m a year alone, think offer your ad on a site that gets ??how many hits a day? Come on wise up!
 onlydateIF
Msg: 1246
Posted: 3/18/2012 8:06:13 PM
This doesn't bother me. I never checked who 'viewed me', only had time for those who actually wrote to me, and whoops (sorry) guilty of missing a few of those too
 oneanlonely
Msg: 1247
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2012 8:17:14 PM
that was my favorite feature you could check someone out and they would see but you did not have to send an email or maybe send an email to someone you noticed was checking you out. now they will only know you noticed them if you message them and they may not want to be bothered with everyone that checked them out emailing them. bring back that feature as free thank you
 Opal422
Msg: 1248
Posted: 3/18/2012 9:14:33 PM
I see a lot of deleted profiles!
One important point about this is it's the third feature now we have to pay for. There will be more. It's not right to do it by surprising us. We go to click on a feature and it's not free anymore.
I remember seeing ads all over the place popping up etc quite a while ago, they vanished...I actually haven't noticed any in a while.

I have been on and off this site for 5yrs now and I don't blame all the ones who deleted and left for other sites that are free. For real 100% free. Datehookup dot com is free I am on it also. It has all the features here incl to hide and view and see if your message is read etc...
won't be long before I'm gone from this site..just want to read the forums for now.
 GreenEyesShining
Msg: 1249
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2012 9:21:26 PM
I hope POF principals will reconsider their decision to make the "recently viewed me" feature a revenue producing source. I personally have viewed several of the paid ads and enjoyed doing so. The "matches feature" I'm sure is well intended but in my particular case has not always been a successful tool....being able to "view" who has recently looked at my profile has given me a true indicator of who is actually looking at me, whether or not they actually read my profile is still up for grabs but at least I did have the option of clicking on THEIR photo to READ their profile. I believe the original format of POF was outstanding and I was grateful from the beginning that someone in the world cared enough to make meeting potential friends/dates/spouses easier. Thank you for your time and consideration.
 skjaries
Msg: 1250
Posted: 3/18/2012 9:42:48 PM
Just my opinion, but I don't think this thread is having an impact on the management of this site. If you start another "view me" thread the moderators get ticked off and threaten you.

So.....instead of posting here, perhaps everyone should start emailing POF's customer service reps instead....frequently.

Email address is: csr@pof.com
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE