Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The War on Women      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 matchlight
Msg: 226
view profile
History
The War on WomenPage 10 of 31    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31)
before 1973 when abortions were finally made legal.

Before the Supreme Court declared abortion a constitutional right in 1973 in Roe v. Wade, it was legal, at least under some conditions, in about 85% of the states.

it is very disheartening that women's rights are under fire so much now.

I don't agree that they are. There has never been a country in the history of the world where women had greater freedom or truer equality than they have in the U.S. today.

Thank God we still have the vote! We have to use it wisely or they will try to take that away also.

I wonder who "they" is, in this frightful society you conjure up. No serious person even imagines that women could ever be disenfranchised, anywhere in the U.S.

Are those men leading this "war" feel such a loss of control over their own lives that they have the need to subjugate as many women as possible?

Whatever pop-psychology speculation you want to invoke to explain this terrible subjugation we're witnessing, laws in this country are made by majority vote. Men being a minority of voters, quite a few women must have been voting against their own interests.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 227
The War on Women
Posted: 3/31/2012 8:20:13 AM

Thank God we still have the vote! We have to use it wisely or they will try to take that away also.

In related news:

Obama opens big gender gap in swing states
Mar 30, 2012

"Women back the president over Romney or Santorum by 6 to 19 percentage points in the three states," Quinnipiac reports.

Obama's strength among women voters comes after weeks of news coverage about such issues as health insurance coverage for contraceptives. The political battles have included objections by the Catholic Church to Obama policies on contraception coverage.

read more at: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2012/03/obama-opens-big-gender-gap-in-swing-states/1#.T3cfZNXkaSo
 part deux
Msg: 228
view profile
History
The War on Women
Posted: 3/31/2012 8:25:38 AM
@ 268 "There has never been a country in the history of the world where women had greater freedom or truer equality than they have in the U.S. today".

Can you please offer some proof of this statement? Since you claim to know the history of the world, it should be easy for you.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 229
view profile
History
The War on Women
Posted: 3/31/2012 8:31:37 AM
So much truth in this quote:

"The truth is that male religious leaders have had -- and still have -- an option to interpret holy teachings either to exalt or subjugate women. They have, for their own selfish ends, overwhelmingly chosen the latter. Their continuing choice provides the foundation or justification for much of the pervasive persecution and abuse of women throughout the world." - President Jimmy Carter
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 230
view profile
History
The War on Women
Posted: 3/31/2012 8:56:26 AM

I don't agree that they are. There has never been a country in the history of the world where women had greater freedom or truer equality than they have in the U.S. today.

The US finally broke the top 20 in 2010 for womens' gender equity. After the last couple of years, that ranking will probably slide back down again.
http://www.seniorwomen.com/news/index.php/gender-equality

We also rank low on womens' representation in government..somewhere between 69th and 90th in the world depending on the studies.
http://www.wcffoundation.org/pages/research/women-in-politics-statistics.html
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-03-09/facebook-s-sandberg-details-lack-of-progress-for-women-at-top

With only 16.8% representation in the House and 17% in the Senate, the idea that the majority of our representatives in Congress are voting for the interests of the majority of the citizenry, women most importantly, is absurd. With only 23.6% representation in the States' legislatures, it's pretty obvious that the good old boys are voting in the majority to enact laws against womens' rights.

In their desparation to put women back in their place, the Republican strategy will backfire and empower more women to run for legislative positions, and push women to vote against those who vote against their interests. The only thing that can save a lot of the anti-women republicans is ownership of the voting machine counting mechanisms by their corporate friends.

Anti-women legislation is showing signs of having peaked and lawmakers are hearing the outrage and slowly backing away.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/29/anti-abortion-legislators_n_1388307.html

.......But Jeff Teague, president and CEO of Planned Parenthood of Middle and East Tennessee, says the backlash against Hill's bill reflects a growing anger and increased political participation among women in Tennessee who are tired of seeing legislators target their reproductive rights. Many women were upset when state lawmakers voted to defund Planned Parenthood in May 2011, Teague said, but that firestorm didn't compare to the level of outrage that's happening now.

"This year, the legislators here have seen a huge increase in vocal opposition to some of the things they're doing to attack women's health care and their access to it," he told HuffPost. "That's not something that's happened here, traditionally. People on our side have not been as vocal as people on the other side, and that's a very positive change, to make sure elected officials are hearing the entire range of opinions of people across the state."

A similar public outcry has emerged in Idaho against a proposed mandatory ultrasound bill. Republican lawmakers ended up dropping the bill entirely after silent protesters surrounded the state capitol in Boise to demonstrate against the bill with signs that said things like "Women Are Watching," and state legislators started hearing from women in their districts that the bill was bad policy.

The Idaho bill's sponsor, Sen. Chuck Winder (R-Boise), was also pelted with negative attention via email, phone, Facebook and even nationally syndicated comic strips over comments he made that seemed to suggest that women would use rape as an excuse to get an abortion.

"[Republicans] recognized that when you kick the beehive, bees come out," said House Minority Leader John Rusche (D-Lewiston).

more at link.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 231
The War on Women
Posted: 3/31/2012 9:05:08 AM
In 2010 the US ranked 19th out of the rest of the world with respect to gendergap statistics...hardly the leader in gender equality.

https://members.weforum.org/pdf/gendergap/report2010.pdf

Leading one to wonder, with all the thousand or so, laws passed or proposed restricting womens access to reproductive healthcare , how the US would rank currently....my guess is we've dropped a rank or twenty.
 matchlight
Msg: 232
view profile
History
The War on Women
Posted: 3/31/2012 10:35:06 AM

Can you please offer some proof of this statement? Since you claim to know the history of the world, it should be easy for you.

I could; and it would be; but I'm feeling too lazy at the moment.
 part deux
Msg: 233
view profile
History
The War on Women
Posted: 3/31/2012 11:27:25 AM
No you can't, not because your lazy, but because your statement is false.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 234
The War on Women
Posted: 3/31/2012 12:28:25 PM
I could; and it would be; but I'm feeling too lazy at the moment.

Sounds like an affliction suffered by many from the uber-right...and nope, you cannot. In fact, I'm sure you've been to lazy to read the link that completely disproves your assertion that women in America have achieved total gender equality:

In 2010 the US ranked 19th out of the rest of the world with respect to gendergap statistics...hardly the leader in gender equality.

https://members.weforum.org/pdf/gendergap/report2010.pdf

Please resume your position in your lazyboy...and don't overheat the remote.

btw, a lot of your little "facts" have been very easy to totally disprove lately...maybe anemia???
 WanderingRain
Msg: 235
view profile
History
The War on Women
Posted: 4/1/2012 9:48:08 AM
Right now, the Republican party platform consists of the following: lots of armed men, less regulations, smaller government, free markets, religious zealotry, trickle down economics, low taxation, anti-immigration (anti-foreigner), women as second class citizens.

If you look at all the elements above, you will find a LOT of these elements in third world countries. The worst countries on Earth have ALL of the above present!
 matchlight
Msg: 236
view profile
History
The War on Women
Posted: 4/1/2012 11:15:55 AM
^^^^^Well, that's because they look up to the men who founded this pathetic excuse for a country--and those men were backward savages themselves. Not one of them had ever cracked a book. Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Franklin, Hamilton, Jay, and all the rest of that gang spent most of their time smoking, drinking, raping slave girls, brawling, and kicking dogs and cripples. America was evil from the start, and the mark of Cain is on it.

The stuff you mention--a small central government whose main responsibility is national defense, free markets, the opportunity to get rich, low taxes, deciding who gets to come into the country, religious morality, allowing mothers to stay home and raise their children--what could be more horrible? The government should crack down on the greedy right-wing scum who are always talking about respecting America's outdated, bigoted constitution. Power to the people!
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 237
The War on Women
Posted: 4/1/2012 11:38:26 AM
allowing mothers to stay home and raise their children

I am so laugh my azz off at this gem...when you conservative free market capitalist's get done offshoring all the decent paying jobs what mother will have the luxury of staying home to care for their children?

I notice there's been no follow-up on the US being the leader in the world in gender equality....mum's (barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen) the word I guess.

Well, that's because they look up to the men who founded this pathetic excuse for a country

Well, there you go...the truth comes out...you think men rule the world and should have no interference from those meddlesome women...nice viewpoint.
 Aries_328
Msg: 238
view profile
History
The War on Women
Posted: 4/1/2012 11:56:04 AM

I am so laugh my azz off at this gem...when you conservative free market capitalist's get done offshoring all the decent paying jobs what mother will have the luxury of staying home to care for their children?

Why do you dislike free women so much that you think you must decide that they are no longer permitted to be mothers? Why does someone choosing to be a mother offend you so much that you would want it taken away from everyone? You don't speak for women. Why don't you let them decide without pressure from your utopian fantasy society that they have the rights, authority, and responsibility to choose for themselves?

Your view that women who choose their own life and you paint them as barefoot and pregnant is offensive and deserves no respect.

The problem with liberals is they hate equally. They hate men, women, children that do not hold their utopian dream.
 mungojoe
Msg: 239
The War on Women
Posted: 4/1/2012 12:23:08 PM

Why do you dislike free women so much that you think you must decide that they are no longer permitted to be mothers? Why does someone choosing to be a mother offend you so much that you would want it taken away from everyone? You don't speak for women. Why don't you let them decide without pressure from your utopian fantasy society that they have the rights, authority, and responsibility to choose for themselves?

So the conservative strategy for defending their 'war on women' has now fully devolved to the old "I'm rubber, you're glue..." strategy... One can always spot their growing desperation when they start to fall back on grade-school 'debate tactics'...

Face it... this 'war on women' is backfiring on the conservatives because, as usual, they have fallen for their own 'we are the majority in all things' illusion...
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 240
view profile
History
The War on Women
Posted: 4/1/2012 12:25:17 PM
Yeah...Why DON'T the teapublicans let women decide without legislation from their utopian fallopian theocratic fantasy society, that they don't have rights, personal authority, and responsibility on their own, without state intrusion into their uteri?

For all the rhetoric about big govmint, the cons are all about big govmint dictating what women can or cannot do. If the teapublicans spent a tiny portion of the time dealing with economics issues instead of their obsession on dog whistle issues for the faithful, something might get done in this country.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 241
The War on Women
Posted: 4/1/2012 12:30:36 PM
Why do you dislike free women so much that you think you must decide that they are no longer permitted to be mothers?

Another little misdirection from the right...or the inability to read what was written....Conservatives who lobby to remove all funding for the needy...squalking about a young mother not being able to stay at home with her children...all the while in support of those that offshore decent American jobs, thereby, removing the financial ability of a young family to support the raising of their children by the mother-at home....yea, you may not get it, but everyone else does.

Your view that women who choose their own life and you paint them as barefoot and pregnant is offensive and deserves no respect.

????? WTF???My view is that the evangelical fascist rightwingnut thinks this....apparently, you only see your own scarsasm.

The problem with liberals is they hate equally. They hate men, women, children that do not hold their utopian dream.

Nope...you've got it all wrong once again...we "dislike" evangelical wingnut conservatives forcing their brand of morality on all people in their "relm"...when they should stick to forcing morality on those in their church.
 Aries_328
Msg: 242
view profile
History
The War on Women
Posted: 4/1/2012 12:41:29 PM
Face it... this 'war on women' is backfiring on the conservatives because, as usual, they have fallen for their own 'we are the majority in all things' illusion...

I agree it is going to backfire. However not for the same reasons as you. It will backfire because it is an easy target and one that I also agree that I have no clue who asked the Republican to fix. I do not agree with them either. These things are petty.

Because the party that I most closely agree with principles on is making idiotic decisions on social issues doesn't change my views that the biggest problem with the country is that the entitlement class has their needy, entitled, selfish, and greedy hand out and trying to make it look like its society’s obligation to pay for their lifestyles.

Stop stealing everyone’s money so people can keep what they earn and choose to live the style of life that fits them best... Which just might mean staying home and taking care of children in some cases. Oh the horror... They may choose to work, to have a family, to own a business, to work for others or a combination of all. What isn’t necessary is to have a hand out begging for everyone else to pay for that choice.

What you are calling a war on women is a war on the economics of the country which is cleverly dismissed over purposely twisted out of context associations to ‘women’s rights’. Why don’t we just name a bill, The Act against the hatred and subjugation of women and fill it with legislation to take ownership of all of the economic engines of the country and call it ‘healthcare’. That way when republicans don’t agree it they can say they are for the hatred and subjugation of women. It’s all tactics by liberalism hijacking of language, ideas, and words.

Such bs… if liberals have their way women will have no rights at all. They will be under total control of the government that pays for their healthcare and food and demand that they live according to what government feels is best. Can’t wait for the liberal OBESE police to monitor your intake of sugar and salt for your baby’s health. We wouldn’t want that baby to have a chance of being unhealthy now.

That didn't even take me long to find
http://www.nj.gov/health/fhs/documents/obesity_prevention.pdf
Page 13

Obesity prevention begins during the prenatal period. Pregnancy should begin
with a mother who is at ideal weight and should continue with optimal weight gain
throughout the prenatal period by consumption of a varied and healthy diet.
Following delivery, breastfeeding will decrease the chances of the child
developing obesity and contribute to a mother’s return to her pre-pregnancy
weight.

page19

Creation of, within the Governor’s Office, the Office of Health and Wellness
with a Coordinator responsible for coordination of all activities at all levels
related to health and wellness in New Jersey, and establishing a “New Jersey
Health and Wellness Council.

Now don't forget all you expecting mothers. Check in with your local government office to report your health and make sure you are doing everything you can for our new member of society.
 matchlight
Msg: 243
view profile
History
The War on Women
Posted: 4/1/2012 12:49:30 PM

Why do you dislike free women so much that you think you must decide that they are no longer permitted to be mothers?

I think we all know it takes a village to raise a child. Correct thinking has to be taught by the state from the beginning--it's just too important to be left to one father and one mother in a "nuclear family." And nothing's to stop these Ozzie and Harriet types from sending their kids to church, or otherwise teaching them morality that's based on religion. We're not in the Fifties anymore, Toto, and we simply can't have Fifties brainwashing. Too much is on the line--the planet has a fever, the haters are everywhere, and the rights of women and minorities are being destroyed.

Some people in this country--in Berkeley, Manhattan, Georgetown, Boulder, Cambridge, and a few other islands of progress--are real thinkers. They know Brie from Velveeta, the New Republic from Redbook. They're not the slack-jawed dimwits eating Big Macs, roaring around in gas guzzlers, and clinging to their guns and religion and prejudices who populate red-state flyover America. And one of the things our progressive leaders know is what's best for us all. If we want our freedom and democracy to survive all this right-wing terrorism our nation is witnessing, we had better start listening to them.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 244
The War on Women
Posted: 4/1/2012 12:50:51 PM
entitlement class

Would this be the mega-wealthy corporate CEO's with 12 homes, illegals for servants, corporate jets, the ability to run a company into the dirt all the while raking in "compensation" as stock grants/options which when sold are long=term capital gains taxed at 15%???

Stop stealing everyone’s money so people can keep what they earn

When my effective tax bracket is in the 20%'s and Romney and the like pay 15%or less...who's money is being stole???

Such bs… if liberals have their way women will have no rights at all

LOL...talk about bs...totally, disregarding the 1000+ bills and laws passed by a dysfunctional GOP electorate that are designed to reduce women's right....ya'll would be so happy with a woman barefoot, pregnant, and kept in the kitchen.

Look at this exchange...I'm just astounded at the posters conclusions...they just seem so offbase:

me:

I notice there's been no follow-up on the US being the leader in the world in gender equality....mum's (barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen) the word I guess.

him:

Why do you dislike free women so much that you think you must decide that they are no longer permitted to be mothers? Why does someone choosing to be a mother offend you so much that you would want it taken away from everyone?

Now...I think I see the issue...this poster hasn't been reading the thread but feels he can make comment....I'd posted a link to a report that said the US was 19th in the world with respect to gender equality...not the leader as some other conservative asserted...sometimes knowing what ones talking about is important.

OutofControlMan
Msg: 245
The War on Women
Posted: 4/1/2012 1:11:33 PM

Would this be the mega-wealthy corporate CEO's with 12 homes, illegals for servants, corporate jets, the ability to run a company into the dirt all the while raking in "compensation" as stock grants/options which when sold are long=term capital gains taxed at 15%???

the Worldcom, Nortel & Enron exec's are the poster boys' - defraud investors for $$ billions collectively -oh they were the capitalist's darlings, until after the fraud convictions, maybe still are, most now in prison, Ken Lay _- GWB's close personal buddy- took the easy way out & died of a heart attack-coward!

Ken Lay's wife got on TV and cried for the audience _" I don't know why they are all mad at us, we're hurting too - we are down to only one house (The ca. US$ 14 million mansion she posed in front of ) - and 2 cars -Rolls Royces.." "we had to sell the lodge in Aspen, and the California house"

the poor dear, reduced to almost living like the common people!
 OyVay...
Msg: 246
The War on Women
Posted: 4/1/2012 2:08:09 PM
Hahahaha!!! Gotta love the swings in extreme thought!

"it takes a village to raise a child"

At times, I have to somewhat agree with that! It takes a license to drive a boat, car or plane. It takes a license(permit)to own and carry a gun. According to you guys, it takes an ID to vote. You need no permit, ID, license or anything to procreate. Let me tell ya, there are those that shouldn't.

People who beat or ignore their children, people who are pedophiles, people who are bigotted against others, drug abusers. I'm sure if I stopped and thought about it, the list would be a lot longer.

In the end though, children of these types, even if they don't become wards of the state. At some point, some governmental agency will become a life line to them. Either in school through the counselor, or the teacher in their class.

"Correct thinking has to be taught by the state from the beginning"

How about we just start with "honest thinking"? Stop doctoring text books to void the notion of evolution, or stop trying to reframe the civil war, because it makes your area look bad.

I have no problem with "values", although mine are WAAAYYYY different than yours. I have no problem accepting someone is gay, most of your ilk, maintain they will burn in he11.

Women should be allowed to control what they want, not forced into roles established by communities. There will always be many who embrace motherhood, some may not want it, when pregnancy is unplanned or untimely, or the result of incest or rape.

"in Berkeley, Manhattan, Georgetown, Boulder, Cambridge, and a few other islands of progress--are real thinkers."

Funny you say that! Cambridge Mass, is the home of Harvard! Isn't that your buddy Mitt's alma mater?

EVEN THEN< you still get it wrong, the one statement I could agree with!

"And one of the things our progressive leaders know is what's best for us all."

Neither side has a lock on whats best, it takes working together to get the best of both. But that stopped 3 years ago, because you guys and grover took your toys and went home to pout, till after this years election.

What has congress done? The great 'light bulb' debate? Or the reaffirmation of "in god we trust"? Aside from hissy fits, what have the republicans done or shown us? You hate healthcare, so why not participate and fix it? No all you want to do is junk it and leave people to die!

That last statement is true! We saw the debate, they yelled "let them die" and applauded!

As for your 'national defense" nonsense, a gay soldier asks a question and is booed! He was serving his country in a foreign land.

So save your whining for others who think like you, of exclusion, or a society based solely on your thoughts. "We the people" only applies when they are the "right" people according to the republicants!
 part deux
Msg: 247
view profile
History
The War on Women
Posted: 4/1/2012 4:00:26 PM
I really don't think that the government providing information on how to stay healthy during pregnancy is indicative of 'big brother'.

Has anyone else noticed that Match still has not given proof that women today, in the USA have more rights and equality than any other society in the history of the world?
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 248
view profile
History
The War on Women
Posted: 4/1/2012 4:59:31 PM
part deux and others...after being forced into "vacation" time for "sins" I found time to catch up on other favorite authors of fiction including Bill Fitzhugh's "The Exterminators" , Dave Barry and Alan Zweibel's book, "Lunatics", Carl Hiassen's "Chomp" and upcoming Chris Moore's "Sacre Bleu". Same characters, set on appropriate stages, and funny as hell when karma bites em in the balls...Berry in particular.
Arguing with these folks while fun, is futile, non productive, and useless. While it is fun to laugh at them, try to draw them into intelligent conversations, we need to remember that is not their agenda and getting peaved at ingrained ignorance is a tactic, not a satifying outcome. Let em dwell on the darkside and snicker and b*itch, be snide and obnoxious, but greater truth resides in the outcomes, the hate, the judgment, and failings that will render them impotent as people respond.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 249
The War on Women
Posted: 4/1/2012 5:05:46 PM

Has anyone else noticed that Match still has not given proof that women today, in the USA have more rights and equality than any other society in the history of the world?

Yanno, we both pounced on his statemtment right after it was posted and I posted a link a report that cited the US raqnked 19th in 2010...and no he has not replied proving his assertion....though he's been asked to reply with facts, not fiction, several times now.
 grizzelda
Msg: 250
view profile
History
The War on Women
Posted: 4/2/2012 7:07:03 AM

Why do you see women as either one or the other? Why do you not have as much outrage for Fathers? Women have been multi taskers since the beginning of time, it is only in the past 50 years that we have somehow gotten it into out heads that being a Mother is an either, or situation. That children somehow suffer if their Mother isnt there constantly at their beck and call? When you consider that this is not how families have operated for eons, how has this become the "gold standard" of parenting. Why are we not crying about how unfair it is that Fathers cant be at home for their children the same as the Mother?
Why, because IMO, men dont/didnt want to be there and they had a sweet deal when they could down load pretty much all of the responsibilites of being a parent onto the Mother, they had all the legal and financial power, while she had all of the drudgery of being a "housewife".

When I hear the same amount of outrage for the Fathers, only then will I believe it is really about the children, until then, I will continue to believe that this is still about men wanting to keep the upper hand and guilting women into believing that they can only be one or the other in order to maintain their positions.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The War on Women