Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The War on Women      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 part deux
Msg: 401
view profile
History
The War on American Women (feel better vlad?)Page 17 of 31    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31)
Clinton was twice named to the 100 most influential lawyers in America, and all you can comment on is the size of her thighs. How many times have you been named to that list, Match?
I guess when you run out of crappy legal arguments, you resort to childish 'you're fat' comments.
So, because women on the left are ugly, and fat, Republicans should be able to pass whatever laws they want? Is that the point you are trying to make, or are you just totally OT?

To below,
It's not about free birth controll, read the OP.
 larissan04
Msg: 402
The War on American Women (feel better vlad?)
Posted: 5/7/2012 6:30:56 PM
cover me

i'd say you are right. the war on women has been around probably as far back as written history goes. for thousands of years women have been considered chattel, property, a poker chip in a business arrangement, the bargaining chip between two families, a brood mare, a baby mamma...or at worst, nothing more then a form of entertainment that is often viewed as less than human...i can't help but think that abortion is very convenient for men...

as a small, petite, attractive woman that has to walk across a dark parking lot in order to get to my car - yeah, it never escapes me that men don't have to worry about walking across a dark parking lot alone. but this war on women is nothing new, and if anything, sexism knows no political affiliation. there isn't a war on women because there is yet to be free birth control pills. and yes, the whole slut/whore bit...if a man has sex on the first date it's fine...he gets a high five in the locker room...but if a woman does it she's a whore...

i could go on and on about this ad nauseum, but i won't...
 larissan04
Msg: 403
Posted: 5/7/2012 6:40:35 PM
earthpuppy...

there are plenty of smart, well educated women on the right...just because you don't agree with someone doesn't mean they are brainless...but yes, on the attractiveness scale i'll be the first to admit that conservative female pundits tend to be more attractive and appealing then their peers on the left...personally, i found comments about hilary's wardrobe and circumference of her thighs as offensive as the comments about michelle bachman's hair... why it is that women's clothes, hair, make up, and physique are talking points in a serious discussion about policy or issues? i've yet to hear someone blabber on about joe biden's tie, or obama's lapel width...honestly, it's reallyyyyyyyyy disgusting...
 lyingcheat
Msg: 404
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2012 6:47:00 PM

More from the Republican Christian Taliban.
http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/article/2012/05/05/wheres-your-shame-woman

"One thing I know for sure, without a doubt, women cannot handle power," says Peterson, in a 12-minute tirade posted to the "bondinfo" YouTube channel recently as a part of the Reverend's "Exploring Your Destiny" video series.

"It is not in them to handle power in the right way," he continues, "they don't know what to do with it."....

"It's not real power anyway ... it's all ego-building. Real, true power come [sic] from God, and God is the one that gave man the power and authority over the wife, and to spiritually guide the world in the right way to go."
/snip/
"They can't handle stress. They can't handle anything. You walk up to them with a issue [sic], they freak out right away. ... They go nuts. They get mad. They get upset - just like that. They have no patience because it's not in their nature. They don't have love. They don't have love."

"I think that one of the greatest mistakes America made was to allow women the opportunity to vote. We should've never turned this over to women," Peterson complains. "And these women are voting in the wrong people. They're voting in people who are evil who agrees [sic] with them who're gonna take us down this pathway of destruction. And this probably was the reason they didn't allow women to vote when men were men. Because men in the good old days understood the nature of the woman. They were not afraid to deal with it. And they understood that, you let them take over, this is what would happen."

"this gay marriage thing," losing our right to bear arms, freedom to "speak truth," ... all this debauchery "because women are in a position of power."

"Wherever women are taking over, evil reigns."

Wow ^ ^ ^

That's right out of the 'Taliban' playbook alright.
Speaking of which...

I guess we shouldn't be surprised that conservative evangelical Christians object to laws that would protect women from violence. It's sad that they would defend the abuse of women, but it's not a surprise. What is surprising is that they would be so tone-deaf as to put forward a convicted felon to defend their position.

And what sort of felony was Timothy Johnson convicted of? Timothy Johnson was convicted of domestic violence. He's apparently committed violence against both his wife and his son.

While the Southern Baptist Convention's political arm, the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, is mired in scandal resulting from ERLC head Richard Land's repeated plagiarism and inflammatory remarks on race, it has found time to criticize the Violence Against Women Act.

Doug Carlson, manager for administration and policy communications for the ERLC, voiced the group's opposition to the highly successful law because of new provisions that ensure that LGBT victims of domestic violence do not encounter discrimination while seeking help. ...

Notably, the letter was also signed by conservative activist Timothy Johnson, who was convicted of a felony domestic violence charge and was arrested a second time for putting his wife in a wrist lock and choking his son, as reported by Sarah Posner.

Source: Right Wing Watch
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/southern-baptist-convention-political-arm-opposition-violence-against-women-act

More and more, the Christian Right is becoming objectively pro-violence -- violence against women, violence against gays, violence against children, and ultimately violence against anyone who doesn't fit in with their vision of a perfect Christian society.

This is what they mean by "family values". Their ideal of a family is one where a man has the power and authority to impose his will on the others, with force and violence if necessary. But is this the sort of family which the rest of us should value?

http://atheism.about.com/b/2012/05/07/southern-baptists-use-felon-to-oppose-protecting-women-from-violence.htm

DameWrite
Msg: 405
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2012 7:00:51 PM
Just maybe...
the war on women is rearing it's ugly head again in the GOP proposed bills because the real "presidents" are not done with their Obama/Hilary puppet team?

They know people will rally against the GOP and these sexist bills. Their sexist bills make the headlines. They make these bills make the headlines! They just pretend it got out unawares.
They are counting on you will go to the polls believing you can make a difference for woman and therefor continue the lie that you need rulers.

Meanwhile, the corporations that coach and bribe the "party's", go unnoticed in their crimes.

Right now the elite want people to fight wars, so they need the democrat characters up front, the "freedom" fighting, super heroes.

They can't actually say that, so they exploit the anti feminism voice of the conservatives to get people to believe they should vote democratic if they support feminism.

Maybe the next election, when they want their slaves at home, the GOP "defenders" will get in, and the change in the propaganda we hear will be about the 'out of control' and dangerous democrats running wild.

Maybe it's all a set up to keep us OCCUPIED?

Time to quit playin'.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 406
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 5:28:35 AM
Peterson is a Fox Noise punditiot. Hannity has graced him with main stream status, having had him on just a week ago, a month after Peterson gave this ugly sermon. Hannity also serves on the Board of Peterson's hate group.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/05/07/fox-news-contributor-laments-mistake-of-letting-women-vote/

Peterson, founder of the conservative religious group Brotherhood Organization of A New Destiny (BOND), appeared on the Fox News Channel on May 1, more than a month after giving his controversial sermon. Fox News host Kirsten Powers even confronted Peterson about his “mysogynistic” speech and challenged Hannity to repudiate it, but the Republican opinion host did not, and instead gave Peterson a platform to denounce “liberal, women policies.”

That may not be a surprise, however: Hannity has hosted Peterson numerous times and even serves on BOND’s advisory board. “BOND continues to fight the good fight standing for the values of God, family, and country, and are deserving of our support,” he said, according to the group.

Speaking to Peterson on May 1, Powers protested his appearance on Hannity’s show, explaining that she was “hijacking” it because “I didn’t know I was going to be on with him.” She then accused him of “using God’s word to teach misogyny.”

“I don’t know if you noticed or not, but the liberal Democrat womens are calling themselves whores,” Peterson replied. “They came out with their so called group of women who are within the Democrat party, and they are admitting that they’re whores and they are saying that they are proud of it. I’m okay with that, I just don’t want to pay for it.”

“I have a responsibility to tell the truth,” he added “You’re on the side of lies. Why shouldn’t I be on the side of truth? And it’s the truth that’s gonna make us free. Somebody gotta tell the truth, so I’m going to tell the truth.”

That “truth,” it would seem, isn’t just about liberal women, or even women in general. Peterson made headlines in January after telling a Huffington Post reporter that he would like to see black people put “back on the plantation so they would understand the ethic of working… They need a good hard education on what it is to work.” On his website, Peterson has published an open letter to Attorney General Eric Holder that advocates the arrest of New Black Panthers members.

In another post, he explains what he calls “the end of one-sided defense,” in which Peterson insists that men should re-take the right to physically strike women. “While I certainly do not sanction men attacking women, neither is it right for men to allow themselves to be beaten by a woman,” he wrote. “It’s time for men to re-assert their right to self defense.”
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 407
Posted: 5/8/2012 7:09:44 AM
I guess when you run out of crappy legal arguments, you resort to childish 'you're fat' comments.
So, because women on the left are ugly, and fat, Republicans should be able to pass whatever laws they want?

That's one modis operandi...the other's employ the "brown shirt" comment and the lack of intelligence for desenting POV's....

All used to validate the assault on women's right's...TG we're not discussing imaginary things like the glass ceiling...please note sarcasm...

Last week the senate voted to reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act with 31 republicans voting against, because:

it includes expanded protections for LGBTQ, undocumented, and Native American communities. In fact, right-wing politicians have gone so far as to make it even harder for undocumented women to report abuse by removing confidentiality protections that are already on the books.

Which is why House republican's won't vote for the bill either.
 Aries_328
Msg: 408
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 9:34:22 AM
Which is why House republican's won't vote for the bill either.

Why are you so easily manipulated?

The title of the bill is ludicrous. The title was specifically designed to pass things not related to violence against women. Who in good conscience could vote against the 'Violence Against Women Act'?

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/s1925/text

Why is this bill even necessary? 20% of spending should go to state prosecutors? 20% to some random programs? This is BS legislation just created to spread money around with no accountability or expectation other than "spend it" Are the states asking for money? if so, are all the states asking for help paying for their programs? Just because you call it violence against women doesn't mean it will address a damn thing about it.

grantees shall coordinate the State implementation plan described in paragraph (2) with the State plans described in section 307 of the Family Violence Prevention and Services Act (42 U.S.C. 10407) and the programs described in section 1404 of the Victims of Crime Act of 1984 (42 U.S.C. 10603) and section 393A of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 280b-1b).’;

(iv) in paragraph (4), as redesignated by clause (ii)--

(I) in subparagraph (A), by striking ‘and not less than 25 percent shall be allocated for prosecutors’;

(II) by redesignating subparagraphs (B) and (C) as subparagraphs (C) and (D);

(III) by inserting after subparagraph (A), the following:

‘(B) not less than 25 percent shall be allocated for prosecutors;’; and

(IV) in subparagraph (D) as redesignated by subclause (II) by striking ‘for’ and inserting ‘to’; and

(v) by adding at the end the following:

WTH does this even mean? A multidisiplinary high-risk team focusing on domestic and dativing violence???? Can we have this in english please? Is this a statewide, counywide, citywide or national team? Really because I can't make heads or tails out of this nonsense. But it sure sounds super!!

22) To develop multidisciplinary high-risk teams focusing on reducing domestic violence and dating violence homicides by--

‘(A) using evidence-based indicators to assess the risk of homicide and link high-risk victims to immediate crisis intervention services;

‘(B) identifying and managing high-risk offenders; and

‘(C) providing ongoing victim advocacy and referrals to comprehensive services including legal, housing, health care, and economic assistance.’;

Please read through the lame ass bill and show me where it actually does anything for violence against women other than spend money in unaccountable ways.

It took a lot of digging... 5 pages of Google search results searching for WHY republicans are against this particular bill. 5 pages of liberal speaking for republicans being against women. 5 pages of a purposely orchestrated attack to create a false impression that republicans are 'against women' and its just political fantasy. It's about wasting taxpayer money... Which everything I wrote above I wrote before finding this. So, apparently I agree and came to the same conclusion in just a few minutes of actually reading.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/apr/22/clash-over-bill-to-protect-women/?page=all

He and Republican Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison of Texas are preparing “an alternative to the VAWA bill” that will fix weaknesses, root out the “well-documented fraud,” and block $100 million in new funding for the $412 million program.

Recognize the signs of political lying
The whole gay thing was already the law
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/11/us/politics/11gender.html

Published: June 10, 2010
WASHINGTON — The Justice Department has decided that federal prosecutors should enforce criminal provisions in the Violence Against Women Act in cases involving gay and lesbian relationships, a newly disclosed memorandum shows
 matchlight
Msg: 409
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 10:50:27 AM

WTH does this even mean?

It means law schools should not admit students who don't know how to write. Statists use jargon and gobbledygook to disguise their underhanded schemes.

Morrison is an interesting 2000 Supreme Court decision that invalidated part of the VAWA as unconstitutional. The principles involved also have a lot to do with the socialized medicine law now before the Court.

The real war on women is being waged by that fine American statesman Barack Hussein Obama. His disastrous economic policies hurt them every time they go to gas up the car, pay the bills, buy groceries, or go shopping for clothes. Mr. Obama is also making war on their children and grandchildren by saddling each of them with a ton of debt.

More and more ordinary women are realizing how much brighter the future would look for them and for their families, if we had a government that would get out of the way and let this country prosper like it has throughout most of our history.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 410
Posted: 5/8/2012 10:57:47 AM
The real war on women is being waged by that fine American statesman Barack Hussein Obama. His disastrous economic policies hurt them every time they go to gas up the car, pay the bills, buy groceries, or go shopping for clothes. Mr. Obama is also making war on their children and grandchildren by saddling each of them with a ton of debt.

So you are saying that you would not qualify to be a lawyer then.

Because based on your above statement I think you have some gobbledygook on you, unless you can show a direct relationship between Obama and the price of gas at the pumps and cost of consumer goods.

Those prices are set by corporations and if you want the POTUS to solve that for you I can only assume you want bigger government with more controls in place or you went to the Fox News school of economics.

Either way, thanks for pointing out your own hypocrisy.
 OyVay...
Msg: 411
Posted: 5/8/2012 11:04:34 AM
Hahahahahaha!!!!

"You are right about one thing-there is no shortage of substance on the left. Very hefty."

Hahahaha!! And on another thread, you call me shallow? Hahahahaha!! Sounds pond scumish to me! Hahahaha!!
 Twilightslove
Msg: 412
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 11:15:35 AM

I agree with Aristotle. The price increases for such things as gasoline, groceries, and other consumer products have very little to do with the president's economic policies. It was George W. Bush, though that gave us the dismal, rationed increase of the minimum wage (which had been in need of better increases for at least 20 years or more). This feeble upgrade of the minimum wage is by far way too little and too late. If we really want to see economic stability then the minimum wage should be increased to at least $15.00 per hr. That would provide consumers with actual spending money which would in turn cause them to purchase more and would stimulate job growth as corporations would be hiring to keep up with all the new demand.

There are many other things that should be done but with a bunch of old conservative rich men haggling in Congress, who know nothing about the general public or are getting such kickbacks by those large corporate lobbyist that they refuse to make changes that would actually make America look like the golden land of opportunity again nothing really changes or improves.
 part deux
Msg: 413
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 11:42:50 AM
Aries, here is how it breaks down:
Multidisciplinary high risk teams teams= ER doctors, triage nurses, police, psychologists and social workers will be trained in identifying and handling domestic violence cases. They will work together, rather than as seperate entities.
A. This means that by analysing evidence and statistics, a criteria will be created to identify victims who are in the greatest danger. These victims will then receive immediate crisis intervention. In most cases of domestic violence that escalate to homicide, there have usually been multiple police and/or medical interventions. By having some standard, the hope would be to remove people immediately from situations that have the markers that point to escalating violence.
B. This would mean closer monitoring of offenders who are most likely to re-offend, and, if appropriate psychological treatment. This is for the protection of the victim, as in the past, restraining orders are not always effective in domestic violence cases.
C. This is pretty obvious, victims are often so terrorized at this point that they usually need temporary assistance putting their life back together, and often lack the confidence to advocate for themselves. Most likely, specially trained social workers would fill this position.
If well implemented, personally, I think that these are reasonable, and beneficial additions to the bill.

I read the article you mentioned, while it stated the objections of some of the Republicans, it offered no proof, or substantiation for their objections. They may be legitimate, but without proof, I can't agree.
 Aries_328
Msg: 414
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 11:51:04 AM

They may be legitimate, but without proof, I can't agree.

Ok, so, we already have ER doctors, triage nurses, police psychologists, and social workers. They are actually even trained. They have been handling domesitic violence cases for years and even have many programs specifically realated to it.

B: closer monitoirng of offenders? What does that mean? They already are if they were charged, prosectuted imprisoned or sent to some form of program to curb their violent ways...

C: all of that already exists.

What proof do you need that these things already exist. You could look in the phone book? How about justifications that spending needs to be increased... and 'because we care' isn't a justification.

http://ovc.ncjrs.gov/topic.aspx?topicid=27
There are so many resources available it really should require some level of justification why there needs to be more and it needs to be a good argument based on facts and reality.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 415
Posted: 5/8/2012 12:00:31 PM
Funny that all the Senate WOMEN republicans support VAWA...must be a concidence

House Republicans Want To Strip LGBT, Immigrant and Native American Protections From Violence Against Women Act

By Annie-Rose Strasser on May 3, 2012 at 12:00 pm

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) is facing another struggle to stay intact, this time in the House of Representatives. The House GOP looks likely to rewrite the domestic violence prevention bill, which passed the Senate last week, with the aim of stripping provisions for Native Americans, undocumented people, and the LGBT community — the same provisions that Senate Republicans tried to remove from the bill.

But despite the Senate’s ultimate passage of the bill — which included the support of 14 Republican senators, including all of the female Republicans — the House is ready to fight these provisions again. Their version of VAWA also removes the protections for marginalized communities. According to Congressional Quarterly, a watered-down bill, of which Rep. Sandy Adams (R-FL) is the lead sponsor, is likely to pass in the House:

The House bill also would eliminate Senate language that supporters say would do more to help victims of domestic violence including gays and lesbians, immigrants and American Indians. Adams considers those provisions unnecessary, a spokeswoman said. “The grants are available to all victims, and there is no evidence to conclude that victims are being turned away,” said spokeswoman Lisa Boothe in an email.

The backing of Smith, of Texas, and California’s McCarthy signals the House measure is on a fast track to passage — and a showdown with the Senate.

While Adams may think the provisions are unnecessary, there is ample proof that she is mistaken. Cases of LGBT domestic violence increased 38 percent from last year. Seven people died from domestic abuse. And of those who sought it, 44 percent of LGBT victims were turned away from traditional shelters. As for Tribal victims, Native American women face the highest rate of domestic violence in the US — three and a half times higher than the national average — and can currently not seek any protection if the perpetrator is non-Tribal.

And undocumented victims? Maybe they aren’t “turned away” in Adams’s definition, but that’s because they fear that if they call the police, they will be deported.

Members of Congress have already seen heated debate around VAWA, with one member even recounting her own experience of being raped as a girl. With the attempt to strip out provisions for particularly vulnerable communities, the fight is likely to get even more difficult.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/05/03/476087/house-republicans-want-to-strip-lgbt-immigrant-and-native-american-protections-from-violence-against-women-act/?mobile=nc
 Aries_328
Msg: 416
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 12:18:12 PM

While Adams may think the provisions are unnecessary, there is ample proof that she is mistaken. Cases of LGBT domestic violence increased 38 percent from last year. Seven people died from domestic abuse. And of those who sought it, 44 percent of LGBT victims were turned away from traditional shelters. As for Tribal victims, Native American women face the highest rate of domestic violence in the US — three and a half times higher than the national average — and can currently not seek any protection if the perpetrator is non-Tribal.

7 people of 300 million deserves 100 million in funding?
44% of LGBT were turned away??? How is funding going to change that and 44% of what? 10?

If the tribal part not being able to seek protection if the perpetrator is non-Tribal that should be changed but I just do not believe it. Violence is a crime within borders. If http://www.tribal-institute.org/lists/domestic.htm doesn't have any authority to report to police then the problem isn't against women. It is against Native Americans.
 robin-hood
Msg: 417
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 1:01:59 PM
Twilight

You have no concept of economics. Every time a minimum wage is increased, those who usually make more are also given increases, even in the unions. All this does is put everyone in higher tax brackets, and triggers inflation. In the short term it feels good, but long term has no effect. Instead of $15/hr why not just $25/hr. Then in two years basically all goods would double or triple in price, and there will be a big flood of the remaining USA businesses going offshore

As for Obama or Bush, another big cause of inflation is the government debt. The more money borrowed and sold with treasury notes leads to inflation, but what can't be sold is just printed and that just makes currency worthless. One big thing that changed food commodities was the use of subsidized crops in the making of ethanol required for gas blending. Its one thing to raise a crop for ethanol, but when the government gives you money to do it and then requires gas to have a larger make up of ethanol its a no brainier to raise a crop for ethanol. So less crops are grown for food consumption and all grain foods rise in price. This also applies to meat products as the feed prices also increase.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 418
Posted: 5/8/2012 1:33:17 PM

You have no concept of economics. Every time a minimum wage is increased, those who usually make more are also given increases, even in the unions. All this does is put everyone in higher tax brackets, and triggers inflation. In the short term it feels good, but long term has no effect. Instead of $15/hr why not just $25/hr. Then in two years basically all goods would double or triple in price, and there will be a big flood of the remaining USA businesses going offshore

Any increase in the amount of money that the low wage earners get has a direct and more substantial affect to the economy as a whole, due to the sole fact that all of that extra money goes right back into the system as very little of it is saved and the majority of it is spent, thus allowing for more taxes to be collect on it.

Which is one of the major reasons that giving tax breaks to the rich and removing income from the poor has a negative effect on the economy.

As for Obama or Bush, another big cause of inflation is the government debt. The more money borrowed and sold with treasury notes leads to inflation, but what can't be sold is just printed and that just makes currency worthless.

So the government is now faced with its largest debt (by dollar amount not sure if scaled is largest) in history.

Why haven't interest rates gone up, why are they declining?

Would that maybe because less money is now being put into the economy and things are slowing down, which is a direct result in the wealth shifting to a smaller % of the population and when you have less people with money you slow down the economy.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 419
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 1:36:50 PM
While I do not profess to be an economics major, I do not believe that it will effect those making more already as much as you would like to believe it to be. The people that minimum wage effects are in retail and food services which means that there are very few employees making much more than them in those particular types of companies. Those who would be making more are already management and making more than enough so raising their wages would not necessarily be on the agenda. Therefore, the workers that it would effect would start buying more stimulating a depressed economy and as far as taxes go the reason that the government is in debt is because the will not raise taxes on the wealthy. Those wealthy being people who obtain their wealth from investments, more so than from wages. Obtaining their wealth through investments allows them to pay a much lower tax rate than those making an actual income through wages.

Less people making minimum wage reduces government debt. Those receiving a living wage will no longer be qualified for food stamps, tanf, housing subsidies, and earned income allowances thereby saving taxpayers.

You do realize that the government pays places like McD's to hire welfare recipients, don't you? That is taxpayer money being used to profits income to owners of such establishments. There would be little need for such perks if the wages were adequate and the companies would see more profit if their employees could actually purchase their goods.

Henry Ford, believed in paying his employees well enough so that those employees could afford to purchase his cars.

I agree that farmers are getting far too much in subsidies.

Please excuse me while I continue attending to my granddaughters needs.
 robin-hood
Msg: 420
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 1:49:17 PM
Twilight,

Its not what you believe, its what happens. Those making higher wages are usually paid those because their jobs require more hours, responsibility and or smarts. Almost always when a COLA is given or minimum wage increases there salaries are aslo increased by same amount or more. In fact I once worked in management at USS, and the union was my best negotiator. They wanted full dental benefits, we also got them. They wanted COLA, we got them. In fact we received a little more.

This happens in every business. You can't expect someone to keep a job as a boss, and be paid the same or less than those who work for you. I can tell you this a minimum wage of $15/hr will cause big layoffs and down sizing, and outsourcing to other countries.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 421
Posted: 5/8/2012 1:51:24 PM

I can tell you this a minimum wage of $15/hr will cause big layoffs and down sizing, and outsourcing to other countries.

If you have not been paying attention that has been happening for sometime now and it has nothing to do with the minimum wage.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 422
Posted: 5/8/2012 2:14:32 PM
"earthpuppy...

there are plenty of smart, well educated women on the right...just because you don't agree with someone doesn't mean they are brainless...but yes, on the attractiveness scale i'll be the first to admit that conservative female pundits tend to be more attractive and appealing then their peers on the left...personally, i found comments about hilary's wardrobe and circumference of her thighs as offensive as the comments about michelle bachman's hair... why it is that women's clothes, hair, make up, and physique are talking points in a serious discussion about policy or issues? i've yet to hear someone blabber on about joe biden's tie, or obama's lapel width...honestly, it's reallyyyyyyyyy disgusting... "

And yet you trot out Malkin and Coulter, Palin, Cheney and Bachmann. If you have smart well educated women, why are those above leading the charge?
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 423
Posted: 5/8/2012 2:18:56 PM
Sorry Robin, but that argument has been trotted out EVERY time raining the Minimum has been mentioned, and it never happens, same with the "If you raise taxes on the rich, they'll flee the country!" meme.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 424
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 2:48:52 PM

This happens in every business. You can't expect someone to keep a job as a boss, and be paid the same or less than those who work for you. I can tell you this a minimum wage of $15/hr will cause big layoffs and down sizing, and outsourcing to other countries.

This is a very old and unsubstantiated argument. Big businesses left our country eons ago. That is why most products you buy today are horrible. They went to other countries to abuse their people with slave wages and conditions to boot. Meanwhile, I'm tired of buying clothes that fall apart the first or second time I wash them and brand new toasters that burn my bread unless I set it to less than 2.

The layoffs you fear have been going on for many, many years now and minimum wage had nothing to do with it.

And just how do you export the car wash anyways? Think people will take their car overseas every time it needs detailing?
 robin-hood
Msg: 425
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 3:02:54 PM
Blade,

I didn't mention income tax on the rich. I said corporations will push more production off shore, or even subcontract it to countries outside the USA. Remember its a world market, and they sell volumes outside the USA.

If you only new the regulations and red tape to run a business in the USA today. Since I started 30 years ago, the regulations and costs have doubled or tripled. In fact, because of it the last 10 years I work 1/2 the hours I used to. Why should I push myself to higher tax brackets. I just enjoy the 3 or 4 day weekends.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The War on Women