Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The War on Women      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 626
The War on WomenPage 26 of 31    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31)
Whether or not there has truly been a war on women, is up for question but when we hear comments about rape from Pple like Mourdock(R) in Ohio; it certainly lends strong credence for it!
 unYOUsual
Msg: 627
The War on Women
Posted: 10/25/2012 9:50:33 AM

"The only exception I have to have an abortion is in the case of the life of the mother," said Mourdock, the Tea Party-backed state treasurer. "I struggled with it myself for a long time, but I came to realize life is that gift from God. I think that even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen."
So which part is a war on women? the part about life being a Gift from God? that a life beginning as a product of rape is no less valuable than any other life?
 OyVay...
Msg: 628
The War on Women
Posted: 10/25/2012 10:39:08 AM
"that a life beinning as a product of rape is no less valuable than any other life"

Hahahaha! Now THAT'S a statement!!!

So let me see if I have this straight in my head. If your sister or wife was raped, you'd expect her to carry that 'gift' to term? You would subject them to 9 months of pain and cross feelings, feeling on one hand that life growing inside of them, and on the other, reliving that violation EVERY DAY..for the entire pregnancy. At the same time, you'd be just ducky with raising some rapists kid...

Then either give it up for adoption and submit to that anguish, or possibly have some sense of resentment towards the child, which through no fault of their own, might exist, given the circumstances of their conception.

Oh and no, it's not the part about "being a Gift from God"...it's the part about "God intended to happen"!

Even a pagan like me knows, according to your beliefs in christianity, man has free will...so it was the man's free will that raped the woman, and god didn't intend anything to happen.

You guys on here are soooo funny, you keep dancing around shit and trying to justify anything these morons say.
 sweetest
Msg: 629
view profile
History
The War on Women
Posted: 10/25/2012 10:47:42 AM

Jon Huntsman: Mitt Romney Should Withdraw Richard Mourdock Endorsement, Pull Ad

Jon Huntsman, former Utah governor and 2012 Republican presidential candidate, said on Thursday that Mitt Romney showed a lack of leadership with his response to Indiana GOP Senate nominee Richard Mourdock's controversial comments on rape and abortion. Romney has refused to withdraw his endorsement of Mourdock and declined to have the campaign ad he filmed for him pulled from TV.

"[If I were Romney] I simply would have said I'm withdrawing my support," Huntsman said in an interview with HuffPost Live. "Until [Mourdock] proves otherwise, either you lay out an apology, do something else, but as of right now I would withdraw support."

Asked by The Huffington Post's Howard Fineman if he would have had the ad taken off air, Huntsman responded, "I would do exactly that."

"I'm here to tell you that there are some independents and swing voters in the middle that I think would respect a candidate who goes against the grain," Huntsman continued. "They're looking for leadership during a time that these kinds of statements are made, as opposed to just the go-with-the-flow kinds of statements we always hear."

Huntsman condemned Mourdock's comments, saying they "don't deserve to be part of our political discourse right now."

"I cringe -- it's like fingers on a chalkboard every time I hear men talk about women's health issues," he said.

Huffington Post - October 25, 2012
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/25/jon-huntsman-mitt-romney-richard-mourdock_n_2017322.html?1351182100
 sweetest
Msg: 630
view profile
History
The War on Women
Posted: 10/25/2012 11:00:19 AM
^^^When you listen to the interview of Republican Jon Hunstman former candidate for president by his daughter Abby through the link above, it's clear to me again, that Mitt Romney is that deeply flawed candidate, that should have been eliminated from the race months ago.
 unYOUsual
Msg: 631
The War on Women
Posted: 10/25/2012 11:03:23 AM
Dang! Liberals really have trouble with reading comprehension..."God intended to happen" refers to the life created not to the rape...

I don't agree with the guy but it is obvious what he meant....

I am against abortion as a form of birth control..not against all abortions...
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 632
The War on Women
Posted: 10/25/2012 11:12:56 AM
a life beginning as a product of rape is no less valuable than any other life?

sure what a great GIFT, why don't you try telling that to any women (especially if she should be a loved one of yours; married or not such as your , cousin, sister, etc), who suffer rape and as a result; become impregnated from it.

And Btw, lets us know how well it goes over with any of them!
 OyVay...
Msg: 633
The War on Women
Posted: 10/25/2012 11:40:04 AM
""God intended to happen" refers to the life created not to the rape.."

AGAIN...god does NOT create that life, that's a function of biology, dependent on the woman's reproductive cycle, or is there an egg to be fertilized..but I keep forgeting you guys don't believe in science! Hahahahaha!! To me, it's a justification for his beliefs..I'm sorry, we can argue semantics to everyones level of thought. But the First Amendment to "me", means freedom of religion AND freedom FROM religion.

Which means, you can worship what you like and believe and I am free to do the same.

When your beliefs cross that line, to where they become an impediment on my beliefs, we have a problem. As for whats "obvious"..it seems to me, his struggle is within HIM, is with his beliefs...which now go to a place where he is infringing on others who think more like me, than himself.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 634
The War on Women
Posted: 10/25/2012 1:59:05 PM

a life beginning as a product of rape is no less valuable than any other life?

So, if your wife was pregnant with her rapists child...you'd look at the child as a gift from God??? Oh, I think not.
 Aries_328
Msg: 635
view profile
History
The War on Women
Posted: 10/25/2012 2:19:33 PM
So, if your wife was pregnant with her rapists child...you'd look at the child as a gift from God??? Oh, I think not.

Holy crap people.... Just think about what you are saying for a minute. This isn't your personal feelings. It is a societal view.

From a society point of view if a person is the product of rape they are still a person. I don't give a crap about the God part of the line. You can stop at just being human. You wouldn't say that your neighbor was nothing but tissue because you found out they were a result of a rape would you?

This is the problem with the point of view you have about tissue. It extends into life and you really don't seem like you could teach your children not to think of a person born from rape as having any value.

You don't have to like the word choice. The logic is sound. The foundation may be against what you agree with but the end result is the right target. Make up your own logic and reasoning all you want. You agree with me and you know it. :)

Question your own values if you don't. You must answer, "how would you treat a person you found out was the result of a rape."

If your wife chose to not abort the child that was a result from rape you have the choice of adoption or of leaving. That doesn't invalidate the life of the child in anyway and your feelings on the matter are of no value to how society should act or react. Unless of course it furthers the cause of life, liberty and other things and by some incredibly human act of rising above being human you accept her decision, love her, love the child and never think about it again. This is the view society would prefer. It helps everyone and takes the burden off the state.
 OyVay...
Msg: 636
The War on Women
Posted: 10/25/2012 4:42:09 PM
@725..nice mistdirection! But NO cigar!

NOT ONE OF US, have said a woman HAS to have an abortion. That rests with her conscience, her beliefs and what she wants.

"I don't give a crap about the god part of the line"

See bunky, that is the key difference here. You may not, but listen to what he said, the way he said it...HE DOES! It's "HIM" who will be passing laws, not YOU! Don't believe me...the republicants have passed as many abortion laws, as weeks they have been in office since the 2010 election!

I don't give a crap either, as long as they can't pick and choose for a free voting citizen. You seem to miss that part.

You also don't spend a lot of time reading threads in other sections of the forum. There have been about 2 dozen threads about joe blow, wanting the woman to get an abortion after a whoops, when having unprotected sex. Now some women want the child, others want an abortion, it's their body their choice.

"This is the view society would prefer"

Who's society? Yours? Well in other parts of society you probably don't talk to, they want it left open to choose, not be dictated by some schumck named Akin, Mourdock or Ryan...but then again, that's the part you don't want to hear about.

If elected, romney will appoint a supreme court justice that will overturn Roe V Wade...he said it, said it multiple times...if the republican party controls both houses of congress, and the white house...they will ram a bill through so fast it won't take 3 weeks. At least with the ACA legislation, Obama asked what the republicans wanted...they won't even ask..it will all come down on high from the gestapo on the extreme right!

We'll probably bring back the thousand dollar bill with a picture of jesus on it! Hahahahaha!

Sorry, you don't have a conservative party anymore...multiple republican moderates have said it. You wanted a party dominated by religious wacko's you got it!
 Aries_328
Msg: 637
view profile
History
The War on Women
Posted: 10/25/2012 5:10:33 PM

@725..nice misdirection! But NO cigar!

Come on... nothing I said was a misdirection. It was exactly on point. Look at the words used that I was commenting on. That can't be allowed / permitted as how OUR society views people. It just can't. If you don't know why then you really need to figure out why you don't because your lacking the empathy gene.

I'm not confused. It is very clear and it doesn't take anything more than a basic understanding of people, society, government and a few thousand years of humans murdering eachother to see why.

I don't give a crap what some guy who claims 'republican, conservative' says. He sounds like an idiot. So what. Not everyone on the planet is capable of communicating without sounding like an idiot. If that's how he sounded when hte people of his state voted for him then they got exactly what they asked for. If they no longer like it... recalls and elections are still available.

The only thing all of this shows is that there is no war on women. Just a war on words about things people like to portray as solely being about the freedom of women. It just isn't true and its obvious. Why would I ever vote for someone that doesn't understand these basic concepts. Did idiot guy actually say he was making abortion illegal?
 unYOUsual
Msg: 638
The War on Women
Posted: 10/26/2012 5:15:40 AM
Libs crack me up...you guys pretend there is a war on women then when I say it is really a war on abortion you all go all nutty and say I am wrong..have you read the posts on this thread?

Points made by Libs_
"If elected, romney will appoint a supreme court justice that will overturn Roe V Wade"
"Now some women want the child, others want an abortion, it's their body their choice."
"As our resident convinient constitutionalist would point out that the states have the right, currently under R v. W, to restrict access to abortion, but not to outlaw abortion all together..."
"as I see it, will not be the overturning of R v W...but, will be the increase pressure of the states to pass such laws as personhood and the like (with perhaps murder charges on women who abort)"
"Really? So if an extra maggot was named to the Supreme Court, the republicants, wouldn't try and take advantage of it, and try a national law or legislation against abortion? "
"here is a new pregnancy testing facility on our main road that was recently added and a deadly silent looking parking lot where planned parenthood has been for many, many years "
"So, it is this attitude of the uber-conservative white guy, who thinks that every abortion comes with no difficult choice of the parents or woman who was pregnant.."
"So by being for banning abortions, you are actually creating more abortions."

If this alleged war is not really about abortion why does every liberals argument eventually end up at abortion?
 matchlight
Msg: 639
view profile
History
The War on Women
Posted: 10/26/2012 9:14:07 AM

If elected, romney will appoint a supreme court justice that will overturn Roe V Wade

What of it? It should have been overruled a long time ago. It is one of the most arbitrary, lawless decrees the Supreme Court has ever made. It is right down there on the list of the all-time worst with Dred Scott v. Sandford, the 1857 decision that shored up slavery and so paved the way to the Civil War. The majority decision in Roe was written by Justice Harry Blackmun in his first year on the Court, and it is such a notorious turkey that his own law clerks reportedly joked about it as "Harry's Abortion."

The Court looked like it was going to overrule Roe in 1992, but in the end it punted, settling for overruling only parts of it. The Court no longer claims that abortion is a fundamental constitutional right, as it treated it in Roe. States can prohibit abortions after the fetus is viable, and they are pretty free to restrict and discourage it even before that time, as long as they don't "unduly burden" the right to abortion. What Roe means today is that no state can ban abortions before the fetus is viable. That time is not well defined, but it is certainly a lot earlier now than the six months Roe set it at. But only about 15% of the states banned abortion when Roe was decided in 1973, and probably even fewer would do that now if there were no Roe.
 sweetest
Msg: 640
view profile
History
The War on Women
Posted: 10/26/2012 8:36:04 PM

Is'nt making abortion illegal simply a form of control over a woman who wants an abortion? Should'nt the choice of whether a woman wants to bear a child be left to ... the woman?

^^^Absolutely. I have no doubt that Mitt Romney will pay a price for choosing to be a key supporter to Mourdock.

Despite what he may have meant when he said "even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape that... is something God intended to happen," he is unexceptional. He's not an outlier. Not a radical. In no substantive way different from his conservative peers in this regard (see below if you disagree). Indeed, he and others, like Todd Akin and Paul Ryan, are part of an age-old tradition of men with power defining when women are raped. And others who enable them to do it for their own gain. But, they are not just the Republican party's legislative norm, they are a fair reflection of our cultural tolerance, one without party affiliation, for rape and its qualifications. For months now we've been subjected to surreal revelation when it comes to what people think and understand about rape, god and women's magical bodies. Huffington Post October 26, 2012

50 FACTS ABOUT RAPE

Low estimate of the number of women , according to the Department of Justice, raped every year: 300,000

High estimate of the number of women raped, according to the CDC: 1.3 million

Percentage of rapes not reported: 54 percent

A woman's chance of being raped in the U.S.: 1 in 5

Chances that a raped woman conceives compared to one engaging in consensual sex: at least two times as likely

Number of women in the US impregnated against their will each year in the U.S. as a result of rape: 32,000

Number of states in which rapists can sue for custody and visitation: 31

Chances that a woman's body "shuts that whole thing down": 0 in 3.2 billion

Rank of U.S. in the world for rape: 13th

A woman's chance of being raped in college: 1 in 4 or 5

Chances that a Native American woman in the U.S. will be raped: 1 in 3

Percentage of women in Alaska who have suffered sexual assault: 37 percent

Number of rape kits untested by the Houston police force: 6,000-7,000 (Texas ranked second in nation for "forcible rape")

Number of adult men accused of repeatedly gang raping 11-year-old girl in Texas: 14

Quote in the New York Times regarding the rape: "They said she dressed older than her age."

Age of woman raped in Central Park in September, 2012: 73

Number of rape kits left untested in Detroit, listed by Forbes as one of two the most dangerous places for woman to live in the US: 11,303

U.S. state in which, in September 2012, mentally disabled rape victim was required to provide evidence of her "kicking, biting, scratching" in objection to her rape: Connecticut

State seeking to reduce childcare welfare benefits to women cannot provide proof of their pregnancy-causing rapes: Pennsylvannia

Percentage of sexual assault and rape victims under the age of 12: 15 percent

Percentage of men who have been raped: 3 percent

Percentage of rapists who are never incarcerated: 97 perent

Percentage of rapes that college students think are false claims: 50 percent

Percentage of rapes that studies find are false claims: 2-8 percent

Number of rapes reported in the military last year: 16,500

Pentagon's estimated percentage of military assuaults not reported: 80-90 percent

Percentage of military rape victims who were gang raped/raped more than once: 14%/20%

Percentage of military rape victims that are men: 8-37 percent

Percentage of military victims who get an "involuntarily" discharge compared to percentage of charged and accused who are discharged with honor: 90 percent involuntary to 80 percent with honor

Chances an incarcerated person is raped in the U.S.: 1 in 10

Increase in chance that LGTB prisoner is raped: 15x greater chance

Number of men raped that could be counted as legally raped before the FBI changed its definition in December of 2011: 0

Number of rapes noted in commonly used World War II statistics: 0

Number of rapes of WWII concentration camp inmates: Untallied millions

Number of rapes of German women by Russian soldiers at the end of WWII: between 1m and 2m

Number of women raped in 1990s Bosnian conflict: 60,000+

Number of women raped per hour in Congo during war: 48

Country where 12 year old was forced to participate in the rape of his mother: U.S.

Country where women are imprisoned for being raped: Afghanistan

Age of Moroccan rape victim who committed suicide after being forced to marry her rapist: 16

Worldwide number of "child brides" under the age of 18 forced to marry every day: 25,000

Ages of girls forced to marry a 59-year-old at the Tony Alamo Christian Ministry in Arkansas: 8, 14, 15

Estimated number of people, primarily children, sexually abused by priests in the U.S. versus the number of senior Catholic officials found guilty of sexual abuse related crimes in the U.S.: 10,667 to 1

Chances that a woman in the U.S. is raped versus gets breast cancer: 2 to 1

Chances that a victim is "Emergency Raped" by a stranger versus percentage of victims who consider their rapes emergencies: 7 percent versus 100 percent

Percentage of victims of rape who report the use of a weapon: 11 percent

Prison sentences for four men found guilty of participating in gang rapes of two teenage girls in France over two years: one year, six months, suspended sentence

State where in 2012 a doctor is facing the loss of her medical license for providing an abortion to a pregnant10-year old incest rape victim: Kansas

Country where doctors (but not the rapist) were excommunicated for performing a life-saving abortion to nine-year-old incest rape victim: Brazil

Country where major party's vice-presidential candidate wants to criminalize all abortions including rape-related ones, because rape is just "another method of conception": U.S.

Huffington Post - October 26, 2012
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 641
The War on Women
Posted: 10/26/2012 8:57:44 PM
^^^^^^
So I guess women never do any crappy things to men.
As a man who has paid child support for the last years, I'd like to see a legal requirement for a
DNA test before a man is ordered to pay.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 642
The War on Women
Posted: 10/26/2012 9:03:14 PM
@Sweet

Those stats are heart-breaking.
Its amazing that only a few members within the GOP had the guts to repudiate Mourdock's statements (MR wasn't one of them); If there was any shred of decency and consideration inside the GOP; they ALL should have denounced Mourdock flat out, and made a pariah of him!

I have no doubt that Mitt Romney will pay a price for choosing to be a key supporter to Mourdock.

I truly hope you are right!
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 643
The War on Women
Posted: 10/26/2012 10:42:52 PM
@Green

So I guess women never do any crappy things to men.

Wow, just "wow"but this should be of no surprise coming outta the mouth of a neo-con; But silly me! I guess that remark justifies all the horrific violence that women have had to endure; simply because some sweet innocent guy, somewhere, somehow got treated "crappy" by some devious she-wolf! It musta all started in the Garden of eden, when that mean btich Eve forced Adam to eat the forbidden fruit at Knife point. The ultimate rape! And now, all the men-folk need to get even, eh!

As a man who has paid child support for the last years, I'd like to see a legal requirement for a
DNA test before a man is ordered to pay.

In most states, you do have that privilege; but more importantly, you should have had enough sense to wear a rubber. In my experience, most of the men who are 'victimized' by women, usually comes as a result of their own naivity or sheer stupidity.
 OyVay...
Msg: 644
The War on Women
Posted: 10/26/2012 10:56:31 PM
Oh c'mon Yule, the thumbz is only defending manhood! He is totally on board with Akin/ryan/mourdock...they be his guys!

Yanno, dem wimmins...dey always be doin dirt to mens....you can believe the thumbz...just don't ask where he keeps it!

Besides, they were probably askin for it! Right thumbz?
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 645
The War on Women
Posted: 10/27/2012 1:11:53 AM
Here's one for ya : from across the pond.

Mother conned ex into thinking he was her child's father for 13 YEARS (and swindled him out of £50,000 for presents and private education)

A mother who conned a former lover into thinking he was the father of her daughter for more than 13 years has been jailed.

The 47-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, swindled him out of at least £48,700 which went on private education and expensive gifts.

She admitted 15 offences of deception when she appeared at Caernarfon Crown Court, in north Wales, yesterday.

And despite a plea for leniency from her daughter, the judge told her he had no choice but to jail her for 20 months.
(excerpted)
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2123127/Mother-jailed-telling-ex-13-YEARS-childs-dad---taking-50-000-presents-private-education.html#ixzz2AU8B3jnD

I don't buy into the notion that females are weak and helpless and always being preyed upon. Men have their ways of doing evil, and so do women.
 NDTfan
Msg: 646
The War on Women
Posted: 10/27/2012 6:44:55 AM
GreenThumbz18 ...

Are you seriously equating a violent physical assault .. and then being forced by law to risk your life to bring your rapist's baby into the world.. to having money taken away? And then be forced to raise it for 18+ years while every lifeline and chance to better yourself is taken away bit by bit?

How does one crime make another any less heinous? And how does excuse the Republican party trying to have more control over a woman's body than she does and then talk about personal freedom out of the other side of their faces? You're all really going to play t*t for tat like a little child over something so tragic?
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 647
The War on Women
Posted: 10/27/2012 8:54:31 AM
^^^^^^
NDT - I'm reminding our readers that the "battle between the sexes" has been ongoing since Adam & Eve. I wonder how many wars have really been caused by women, indirectly or directly, but that's another subject.
The topic of this thread, "the War on Women" is a joke, in my opinion. A left-wing slur on the right, if you can believe they would do that. Discrimination in any form was outlawed almost 50 years ago, and if any person gets paid less than another for the same work done, that employer can be in a lot of trouble.
I don't know the statistics of abortion, but it's my guess that the great majority are not rape-related.
As an aside, I was at a large social function last month, and I was sitting within earshot of a half-dozen men talking about the medical business. 2 of them were doctors, early 40's , I would say. This one doctor was saying that when he met his fiancee, they discussed abortion and they were both cool with that, if the situation arose. But when he was in medical school, and had to dissect fetuses, he changed his mind on abortion. After seeing and touching fetuses, he could no longer feel so free about aborting them.
It's also interesting that if I impregnate a woman, it's HER decision what to do, I have NO say in the matter, but if she chooses to have the baby, I am responsible to pay for it for a minimum of 18 years !!! Isn't that kind of weird??? I DON'T get to decide, but I DO have to pay ....
Is that what you call equity?
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 648
The War on Women
Posted: 10/27/2012 9:45:09 AM
I'm sitting here reading the angry responses in the last few posts thinking: "what kind of relationship a man has with a woman when he feels that woman dupped him into supporting a child from a different father?" and "How horrible for that child to be around such a man." and "Does the man have no responsibility for his poor choices?" and "isn't birth-control at least 50% his responsibility?"... that and more thoughts.

I've already posted that in committed, loving, and lasting relationships the choice for life or not exists as a communal decision between a husband and wife (or two partners)...for if it is not, then there exists no true lasting/loving/committed relationship.

And then there's the neo-con viewpoint that women had it better in the 50's..and I think what planet are these ppl from to think such a thing? There may have been spousal abuse laws on the books, but these laws were largely ignored....for a man was master of his home and wife.

Try as the neo-con's might, to deny the war on women, it is a reality that many women fear...the loss of their reproductive health rights is a big issue for many of them and the main reason that the majority of women voters tend to support democrat ideals.
 OyVay...
Msg: 649
The War on Women
Posted: 10/27/2012 11:03:50 AM
Who here hasn't known someone who was cheated on, man and woman alike? Who here hasn't seen someone selfish, or abusive take advantage of their partner woman and man alike?

To reduce the argument on rape, a violent crime and personal violation, to a tit-for-tat situation becuase someone got taken advantage of is silly.

Are there bad people, or immoral people in the world? Absolutely! Ain't gonna change that, they come equally in both genders. Pick any day you want, wander over to the relationship or dating section of the forums. See the damaged justify all types of behavior...or read the "bad date" thread..then grimace at some of the stories.

Every day, some of us, probably most receive in our junk mail inbox, literally half a dozen scams about money we are about to receive. Doesn't mean everyone on the net is a scammer. I'm sure they are in part successful with the less sophisticated. Doesn't make it right either!

But equating a violent crime, with a con job...whie both are reprehensable, they are NOT the same.
 Aries_328
Msg: 650
view profile
History
The War on Women
Posted: 10/27/2012 11:11:28 AM
To reduce the argument on rape, a violent crime and personal violation, to a tit-for-tat situation becuase someone got taken advantage of is silly.

Okay... how about no argument. You win. Now, lets move on. Someone has proposed that victims of rape that had the child were given a benefit of not having their food-stamps and welfare benefits decreased regardless of future laws proposing that fathers have a higher degree of responsibility for the financial burdens of single mothers raising their child.

Do you agree with this or no... they should be treated equally.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The War on Women