Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > In a relationship with a cellphone....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Capn_America
Msg: 51
In a relationship with a cellphone....Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Man, I missed myself replying again on here lol.
You know dude, I ACTUALLY saw that yesterday, and instead of picking both cute girls up, I was busy laughing my azz off. I did get ONE phone number off of one who was laughing too lol
 juliancannon21
Msg: 52
In a relationship with a cellphone....
Posted: 3/21/2012 8:26:33 AM
Texting=worst form of communication..i rather hear the sweet sound of her voice (especially when she laugh)
Than to text..u cannot tell how a person reacts by.just writing "lol" tsk tsk
 DreamieDreamer
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/21/2012 8:33:03 AM
Everything has a proper place and time and use.

I love to text when my life gets busy and I need extra time to get back to people, or for my kids to give me a quick account of their where a bouts and plans. I have to admit though, my kids say I am a bad text'er because I still spell everything out and correct their spelling. Just because it is easier doesnt make it right or respectful.

Texting is wonderful for many things, but I do still enjoy writing and receiving in depth e-mails and such. It shows me that someone thinks and cares enough about me to put aside time in their day to devote just to me. They care enough to share their daily happenings and whatnot's.

I also enjoy, time permitting, personal and jovial phone conversations picking brains and stimulating thought processes. I feel you can gain a better understanding of how to perceive a person through e-mail and text once you have heard their different tones and such through phone conversations.

Phone conversations should always be used when disagreements arise, no if's, and's or but's about it. Too many ways to misinterpret the other party through text or e-mail.

I do not enjoy receiving e-mails that resemble a teenagers text message, talking with someone who uses text speak or "thugonomics" as a primary language, if I wanted all of this, I would infiltrate my son's lives and hang with them and their buddies more.
 Maleman999
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/21/2012 8:44:50 AM
Another techno development that gets misused is the portable CD players for vehicles. It's OK when it's set up so only the back seat passengers can see it-usually in minivans full of kids. But I've seen them on dashboards, so the driver can watch the DVD too. That's an accident waiting to happen. Especially if the driver is texting and watching a DVD while driving.
 Capn_America
Msg: 55
Posted: 3/21/2012 8:47:14 AM

Another techno development that gets misused is the portable CD players for vehicles. It's OK when it's set up so only the back seat passengers can see it-usually in minivans full of kids. But I've seen them on dashboards, so the driver can watch the DVD too. That's an accident waiting to happen. Especially if the driver is texting and watching a DVD while driving.

LMAO Your serious? Like really really serious? What kind of dumb moron thought up of that one? lol. Its anything goes....and since governement cant start watching each and every car all the time, its indeed when accidents happen. Goes to show the point, technology in itself is great; its how we USE it that is pretty deficient.
 cooldog65
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2012 8:51:12 AM
^^^^^
Remember when Captain Kirk said , "Our weapons grew faster than our wisdom." Kind of the same thing going on here.
 forums1
Msg: 57
Posted: 3/21/2012 8:53:41 AM

I do not jump when it 'sings'. I control IT and IT does not control ME!

That sums it up for me. If I was on a date or something, and it rang - I might look to see who it is, but chances are wouldn't answer it, and I *don't* text. The *only* people I might answer it for on a date is my family - they're multiple timezones away so when we talk its usually later at night (ie, 9pm my time), so if it rang outside of that (like the middle of a lunch date), yes - I would answer it, with the fear that it might be "Dad was rushed to the hospital" or something worse.

I can't stand it when people can't leave their cell phone's alone for more than 5 minutes. If its that important, go get a bluetooth surgically attached to the side of your head, because give it long enough the skin will probaby grow over it anyways.
 Capn_America
Msg: 58
Posted: 3/21/2012 11:01:51 AM

I can't stand it when people can't leave their cell phone's alone for more than 5 minutes. If its that important, go get a bluetooth surgically attached to the side of your head, because give it long enough the skin will probaby grow over it anyways.

LMAO Dont say that. I hear Microsoft plans on pulling a Johnny Mnemonic with their next windows, and having something attached to your head that sends some commands directly to the PC from your brain, or some other sci-fi stuff. Go check it out, its on the Webernet somewhere lol.
 astrosky
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2012 2:19:14 PM
I find it a major turn off. I recently tried to have a conversation with a new guy who contacted me. Said he's new to the area in the initial email. So I asked where he's from, and he comes back with "i'm from atl". Excuse me? I guess I can assume it means he's from Atlanta...but IMO a 2.5 word response to a question is not a conversation - much less if that's ALL you have to say. I told him I wasn't sure how to respond to that and he needs to put some effort into his end of the conversation...and of course never heard from him again. Most of the mail I get is like this - as if they're writing telegrams, and the effort of actually typing out entire words will wear out their hands too much to choke their chicken later on that evening. Lame, lazy, inarticulate, boring losers. Starting a conversation you refuse to fully participate in is no different than begging a girl for sex, then expecting her to do all the work - only in your dreams!
 Hench4Life
Msg: 60
Posted: 3/21/2012 2:30:53 PM
I contacted a woman on here the other day. Seemed like we had a lot in common and would have probably hit it off. She responds back and basically says she agrees, but warns me that she "is so busy that she probably won't have much more time than to text me from her phone once in a while". Wow, really? Yeah, that sounds awesome... I can't wait. LOL Then of course miss 'so busy' was on here morning noon and night for three straight days after that.

What most people consider a "relationship" now days, is absolutely pathetic. I went on a first date one time and the girl was on her second call 5 minutes after I picked her up, just gossiping about lame crap to her friends... I flipped a U and dropped her back off again. The look on her face as I drove away was classic.
 Archangel_07
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/21/2012 3:39:02 PM
^^^ Good shit 4 doing that Hench4life. Friggin ignorance at it's best. When people ignore you when you are talking to them DIRECTLY to their face. If a female pulled that on me I'd pull a slam dump on her ass.
 13karat
Msg: 62
Posted: 3/21/2012 5:32:23 PM
While I understand how cell phones are useful - obviously I have one, and I use it.... I keep in touch with friends and family when it only requires a quick message. But like everything, it has its time and place.... and it would be nice if people figured out the appropriate times and places.

BUT... I think people don't understand boundaries anymore ... and they use cell phones as an excuse..... a person wants to talk to their friend - so they just call that person.... and if they are with someone else, so what? They just keep talking.... no sense of boundaries. I was in a job interview when the person conducting the interview was on her cell texting as she was supposedly "interviewing" me.

I have dated men who get calls and texts non-stop from their kids.... one man's kids would phone him no matter where he was or what we were doing.... on a Friday or Saturday nite, it made no matter.

Another man's brother phoned him every Friday nite about 11 pm so they could play online poker. I told him that he better get on that.... cuz nothing else was happening, that was for sure.
 notaprincess2
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/21/2012 9:52:19 PM
I wondered if that lines works for anyone. Once i get the send me your number I delete the conversation...I dont want to give my number out just yet.
 TheBard101
Msg: 64
Posted: 3/21/2012 10:52:50 PM
The last woman I was involved in I'd known for years. We were together for a few months and I found her texting ONLY. She would not answer phone calls. I could not come over without hours of textplanning for it. There were times we'd be discussing a visit and it took so long to text the conversation out that it became too late to come over (she had two kids so bedtime at 8:30 was IT for visits). There were times I'd go a week without hearing her voice and we lived 15 minutes apart. I really liked the woman but finally had to stop it. It was just stupid having a text relationship for months. It wasn't texting that ruined our relationship. It was her dependence on it instead of ANY other type of communication. I am a Gemini. I love to talk.

Of course, now I put that in my POF profile. LOL
 Goldentyga117
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/21/2012 11:03:28 PM
^^^^^^ how does it take HOURS of texting to set up a time to meet ? either you need to talk LESS or get a better phone or type faster.

My attitude is i'll do what i want and you're not going to tell me what i can and can't do. But i also exercise control and know when to be respectful. I actually don't really have that much of a problem with it when i've been on a date and someone has answered a call or a text. Maybe i'm just lucky since all of them always apologized first before doing it. Hey if the date is going well why make a huge deal out of something so small ?

People seem to be real hypocrites on here....flaming someone about "you've only been seeing them a month you can't tell them what to do" and then turning around and saying "well if we're on a date you're not allowed to use your phone wahhhhh" Really ? It's my phone I'm pretty sure I can use it with or without someone's permission.

So many people on here get so hung up on the stupidest and pettiest bullsh!t that i'm not surprised AT ALL that they're single... Why not just oh i don't know....ENJOY THE DATE ?! I'm pretty sure a phone call or a text isn't going to ruin your life... Somebody call the Whaaaaaaambulance
 jmark4
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/22/2012 1:25:42 AM
what turns me off is texting. Call the person and talk for God's sake or see them in person. Texting isn't talking. It's typing a message.

Sometimes you have to due to time constraints otherwise pick up the phone and call.
 playfulpete
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/22/2012 12:25:03 PM
I thought i was the only one that thought the same way as you.I know a lot of people who love to text,i will only do a few then that is it.
 sexandthepof
Msg: 68
Posted: 3/22/2012 1:24:52 PM
About twenty years ago, when we were sitting in the staff room, everyone was talking to each other and listening to each other. But nowadays, I see that most of the times, people just hold their cell phone, look at it and do the scrolling, pressing buttons, texting, talking and smiling with the cell phone. Someone may have an ear bluetooth, and just put the phone in her pocket and plugs that bluetooth in to her ear and talks and talks and talks and laughs. It's like there's nobody around. I see this in the supermarkets, shopping malls too.

Imagine that scenario. In the old day, if you see someone just sits or walks and talks and laughs to her/himself, you may think that person is crazy, eh? LOL
 Goldentyga117
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/22/2012 2:59:53 PM
Except in the case of a bluetooth in your ear you're NOT talking to yourself you're actually talking to SOMEONE...well unless you're a crazy narcissist who needs to give off the impression that you're important...but that's a whole other topic. Your analogy fails because as soon as you see someone like that then notice an earbud you realize what's happening and you're like "ohhhh they're on the phone" not "what sorcery is this ?!"

Btw it's not 20 years ago. Being nostalgic about the old days is fine but it's 2012 get over it already. Things change, people change, technology and the way people use it change. You either adapt or you don't. Does this mean if you're on a date and someone without warning whips out their cellphone out of nowhere and proceeds to have an hour long discussion that you should be fine with it ? no any normal person should know that that's disrespectful. But some people on here are just ranting about the thought of someone even going near their phone on a date. Just RELAX ! dating is hard enough without all these ridiculously petty dealbreakers people are always coming up with.

Also i fail to see people's arguments about texting. Not everyone texts in slang or "lyk ths lulz" and furthermore it makes no sense to be SO against texting but yet you're totally fine with constant emailing ? how is it any different ? if anything email is SLOWER ! you can put just as much thought and effort into a text as you can into an email so this argument just seems like stupid complaining.
 J_bird61
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/22/2012 9:46:30 PM
Yes, it completely turns me off.
 cashleys
Msg: 71
Posted: 3/23/2012 2:33:12 AM
A few things I am frustrated about with first messages or even two or more.

1)--HI--(i am thinking he should have more to say or why bother?}
2} I like your profile--(okay if you read it what exactly about it did you like?)they should at least mention something special about it.
3)- I like you here is my phone number. (guys if we are going to be that easy to just call you with one message from you, why don't you list your "real name" and phone number on your page? We know why, because you don't want just anyone calling you, well what is much different than a single message from YOU? We still don't know a thing about you.
 Capn_America
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/23/2012 6:19:58 AM

Also i fail to see people's arguments about texting. Not everyone texts in slang or "lyk ths lulz" and furthermore it makes no sense to be SO against texting but yet you're totally fine with constant emailing ? how is it any different ? if anything email is SLOWER ! you can put just as much thought and effort into a text as you can into an email so this argument just seems like stupid complaining.

Dude, your missing the point.
I don't care someone texts all the time, owns a cellphone or what not. My beef isnt with 2012, or the technology involved. My beef is with people who don't seem to realise that some of their behaviors, when it comes to texting and cellphones, is WAY off and actually interferring with their interpersonnal relationships. Maybe youve just been lucky, but I've been on dates with girls that couldnt keep their noses out of their phones, to the point where I'd get up and go "Well, guess I'll leave you two together". To which she then gets up and goes like "NO NO! We havent even talked yet!". Well DUH, your enjoying your cell a lot more than me......
Seen the same kind of behavior in men, where your actually talking to someone who's looking at you, and in the middle of X conversation he pulls out his cell and starts texting, basically answering half-azzedly to whatever it was you were saying. You go like "Uhhh, dude...are you listenning to me, do you even care?" and he answers something like "Oh yeah, that car thing sounds great". If it would be JUST me, then fine, I'm a boring guy, I get the point. But when I get college and friends coming to see me complainning about that same person who doesnt seem to have a life except with his cellphone....you know?
I dont know how bad a phenomenon it is elsewhere, but in my neck of the woods, some people would probably rather DIE then spend an evening withOUT the phone. I dont care if she owns one, as long as she dates me instead of IT, you know? lol. It's all about balance, like anything else in life, and I think somewhere along the line, some people have taken balance and responsible usage and thrown it out the window.
THAT'S my beef with the cellphone. Now that you've finished reading my post, text away
 playfulpete
Msg: 73
Posted: 5/17/2012 4:43:01 PM
I see people walking down the street not paying any attention to their serrondings becouse they have there noses in their bloody phone,i have heard of people taking their phone into the shower with them.that is getting to be too much.They are good to a point after that they are useless
 Archangel_07
Msg: 74
Posted: 5/17/2012 4:46:07 PM
I honestly HATE texting. Cuz if I text the wrong words to someone, I'm going to end up regretting it. I only use my cell phone for brief conversations and that's it. Call my house if people want to have a conversation.
 tuxqueot
Msg: 75
Posted: 5/17/2012 5:05:38 PM
Hmm, when I text, I actually spell out words and try to use full sentences. Dunno, maybe me just being anal. But mostly it's for quick info stuff. Like this week there is a lady I have been chatting with who texts me when she can log in then we use PoF chat since a full keyboard is much easier.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > In a relationship with a cellphone....