Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Why does everyone seem to not like country music?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 UnderpantsGnome
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Why does everyone seem to not like country music?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I enjoy metal more than anything else, but I listen to country as well (new and old). I grew to appreciate it during my college years.
 statesborocookie
Msg: 27
Why does everyone seem to not like country music?
Posted: 5/10/2012 8:03:16 AM
Most of the time, it's just too twangy for me. I'm from Georgia and I do have a southern accent. However, the twang sounds almost exaggerated, to me, in country music. With that said, I do like some older country from my high school days like Garth, Alan Jackson, John Michael Montgomery, etc. And when I say like, that means if I hear one of their songs while I'm scanning through the radio channels, I might stop my search and listen to it. I don't have their cd's or the like laying around waiting to be listened to in case I start feeling nostalgic.
 ComplekCity
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/10/2012 8:30:27 AM
It just doesn't do it for me.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the lyrics - put the exact same lyrics in a song that I like musically and I will like the song.

The twangyness is what makes country music sound like country and it turns me right off.

A previous poster said it might be because it reminds some of white trash living in trailer parks, but for me they could be super rich white people driving around in big, fancy pick up trucks, suv's , whatever : rich or poor it's still part of a "culture" that I personally don't relate to. Perhaps it isn't fair to stereotype but to be honest this is what it makes me think of every time I hear that twang sound.
 mjinict
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2012 4:23:33 PM
You're right, it is a stereotype. You're missin' out on some good music by having a snobby attitude...It can be an acquired taste, and one needs to be in the mood for it, say with a cold beer.)
 PabloMaximus
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/10/2012 5:18:55 PM
dude, i love country music.... and hell, i was a deathmetal guy for like 20 years.... then recently got turned on to it. its really good stuff, like you said from the heart. real lyrics about real things.... in the deathmetal world, everything is so cliche "killing baby crap".... if you can just step back and take it and appreciate it for what it is, its good.... now does that mean i like "pop" country? hell no.... i mean, before country was faggy. hahahah
 tuloa942
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/10/2012 9:05:35 PM
"Why does everyone seem to not like country music?"

Everyone? Really, everyone? I doubt that since there is a big country music fan base around the US and in other countries.

Sorry, being literal here. Gotta be careful of sweeping statements on the forums.

I happen to like some of country music. Right from the time of watching the Grand Ole Opry when I was very little in the 1950s to some of the pop-country that is out now. It is not my favorite genre, but there is a lot that is really great. I do like bluegrass the best of the different types of country music.

I actually like some of ALL music genres, pop, classical, world, zydeco (another country music), latin, gospel, rap, hip hop, and so on. But, I will not listen to any type of music that is bullying, racist, demeaning, or abusive in anyway.
 wanted555
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2012 2:41:39 AM
i appreciate the last few thumbs up on country !! i grew up listening to country constantly and it was not twangy !! not the best!! patsy cline had an amazing voice / no twang there ! tammy wynette ! beautifull ! i mean if you really knew country and the songs can be so funny and real / it can give you so much to make fun of life or make you see the realities also with the banjo and fiddle that it just makes you have to smile !
 macroprosopus
Msg: 33
Posted: 5/11/2012 6:57:23 AM
It's just not MY cup of tea (I much prefer earl grey, or one of those cinnamon ones). Granted, the more I hear, the more I appreciate the guitar skill being so subtly displayed by some people (Paisley's a BEAST. Who knew?). Ultimately, I think my issue comes down to horrible singing. Everyone seems to want to sound like Billy Ray Cyrus, and...it just makes me want to cry.
If the worst thing in your existence is that the tail light is out on your tractor, perhaps you needn't write a song about it. Nor should you make a bajillion dollars FOR that song. Unfair.
That, and horrible grammar/pronounciation. It's "again", not "agin".
 MrDubStep
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/12/2012 10:21:26 AM
I wish I could figure out the html codes for this website cause I'd be posting some of my favorite country tunes ever.
 tc_drummer85
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/12/2012 11:59:19 AM
Popular country is seriously unimaginative and lame. The good country artists did their thing decades ago, and now all that's left is a trend that appeals to the dumbed-down mediocrity-loving masses. Even the decent country artists of today seem to just pander. Same thing with all gendres of music. Rock and roll used to mean something very important, a message that went hand in hand with the civil rights movements of the 1960s. Now 50 years later, that message is all but lost (at least in the mainstream) and there is nothing meaningful left in the garbage you hear done to death today.

Hip Hop was an extremely powerful poetic message from a voice that had been shut out for too long. The poor and discriminated of America. Look at hip-hop now (again in the mainstream), it's one big advertisement for the illusion of the American dream. Seems there is a very different voice behind hip-hop now that big money is involved.

Every gendre of music seems to polarize, evolving into a strain of meaningful art, which you really have dig for, and a strain of mindless dribble that is used to sell products and push ideologys, I think modern country really lacks the former and that's why many dislike.

Sure there IS a music business, but music in not a business, music is art. Art and commerce just don't function together very well. Hence the banality of mainstream music.
 wanted555
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2012 1:40:15 AM
i call proffessional writers "suburbanites " / so they dont have a story to tell / they just copy and copy and "borrow "/ the original country is written by real people /1900"s to 70"s / turn off the radio and listen to some vinyl !!
 younglays
Msg: 37
Posted: 5/13/2012 8:43:58 AM
Everything salient has already been posted but I will just like to ask, is there any modern country out there worth a damn? In rock music, you have indie rock which is a cut better than mainstream. And with rap, you have underground rap.. is there any "underground" country? Any country acts that don't pander to the mainstream, yet have a cult following just because their music is good? That is the country that I will be willing to try. Not this "shooting whiskey while I'm in my 4 wheel drive truck" stuff.
 tc_drummer85
Msg: 38
Posted: 5/13/2012 7:33:17 PM
The Avett Brothers are actually pretty rad. It's not even really like they're underground, I discovered them on Austin City Limits, but for whatever reason they're rarely if at all played on mainstream music stations and they are pretty interesting and creative modern country music.. far from pandering to the typical mainstream.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2012 11:26:45 PM

You don’t seem to understand the roots of country. And, you obviously aren’t listening to it today. It’s not all like that.

I understand the roots of country very well. My grandparents and great grandparents lived it. Obviously I am listening to it today. When is the last time you saw Taylor Swift hop into a old beat up pickup (other than possibly in one of her videos). I didn't say it was all like that, and I'm sure there are plenty of starving country artists out there "keepin' it real--down on the farm style" who haven't sold out to make music that sounds like varying degrees of the Eagles. But the majority of what gets played doesn't reflect that. Sorry, but when I hear Garth Brooks, a millionaire 50 times over sing songs about his friends in low places, something just rings hollow for me.
 mjinict
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2012 6:36:05 AM
If you want underground, check out Lucas Nelson and the Promise of the Real- (Willie Nelson's son).
 Mind_Snap
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/17/2012 9:40:40 PM
I've been woken up a few too many times at retarded o'clock in the morning by country music after being out til crazy o'clock drinking... Hangovers do NOT like country music.
 PinkZombies
Msg: 42
Posted: 5/20/2012 11:04:03 PM
I don't know. I cannot tolerate modern country. And yet, AND YET.. Patsy, Hank, Sons of the Pioneers, Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys and a gazillion old folk tunes- all in my blood.
 ShineOnBrightly
Msg: 43
Posted: 5/26/2012 8:36:30 PM
I don't think saying "why does everyone seem to not like country music", when obviously, millions do, judging from concert ticket and album sales.

I don't, particularly care for it at all. A lot of the so-called "new country" borrows heavily from rock, in my opinion. At least I can tolerate it somewhat. The older dirge, from the likes of Porter Wagoner, Patsy Cline, Tammy Wynette and Johnny Cash is intolerable to me. However, most of them can carry a tune, except Cash who can't even string two notes together. He sure as hell can't sing. Roy Orbison, I always thought was a very talented. Early rock artists owed a lot to his influence.
 RockinRollMan
Msg: 44
Posted: 5/28/2012 6:43:57 PM
I don't think people understand the concept of country music anymore, even country musicians. Brad Paisley and Vince Gill are a couple of the dying breed that is quality country music. Guys like them understand the concept of the genre and that the music is more then just the lyrics, it's the performance aspect. I mean, you look at some of the greats in country music over the last 40 years, they take a crap all over the likes of Garth Brooks and all those 3 chord strumming hacks that call themselves country artists. Those types of artists can't play worth a damn, and their songs are lousy. It's just like anything mainstream that calls itself rock anymore like Nickelback, it's just boring unoriginal garbage that has the same sound over and over again. At least The Foo Fighters keep it original with their music for the most part. I guess that's what happens when the music business is a business first and an art second.

Maybe I am a bit biased because I am a guitar player, but that's the only way to really listen to country music. Brad Paisley and Vince Gill just rip it up on the guitar, and there are other guys who play a variety of genres that really kick it in the country style guitar playing as well. Albert Lee for one, is considered one of the forefathers of 'chicken pickin' as it's called, is basically the use of fingers or finger picks on your picking hand and played on an electric guitar for the most part. Eric Johnson does some great country tunes, coincidentally one called A Tribute to Jerry Reed, who in his own right was a phenomenal country guitar player. Jerry Reed was just in a league of his own for a time really during the late 50's and early 60's until all these big loud rock guitar players started showing up. Andy Timmons of course with his finger destroying Headed Into the Ditch and I know there are plenty of others that I have forgotten.
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/29/2012 8:15:10 PM
I respect the talents of any good musician, but try as I might, I cannot get into country music, especially not "country pop" (but I also dislike regular "pop").

I do like bluegrass, and I love the blues. I enjoy Southern rock and have been an Allman Brothers Band fan going back to "Eat a Peach"...
but I just don't like country.
 Acehonestlady
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2012 10:46:28 AM
Twangy voices and twangy muusic.
 Ashtadbinsaiyef
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/31/2012 11:36:03 PM
Having spent most of my life in South Carolina but having also spent some months in California and Rhode Island, there are things I like about Southern culture and as a quasi-libertarian there are some things I like about Southern politics.

But there are two basic reasons. First, as someone with a mild accent, I can’t stand the exaggerated twang. Second, I can’t stand the naivety of the culture—naive religiosity, and naive ‘patriotism.’

I’ll give an example. And I know it’s a touchy one, but I’m not trying to inflame anyone or start an argument. One of the single most popular country songs in some time? The main reframe is, “Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?”

Now, I’m not attacking the author’s intent. I get where it’s coming from. I realize it’s trying to be noble and heartfelt and not dismissive or narrowminded or what have you. But the simple facts of the matter are that: (1) our government has inflicted far more violence on the rest of the world than we have ever received in turn, including our helping more than half a million innocent Iraqi children starve to death through sanctions on that country throughout the 90’s and even Bill Clinton, of all people, bombing a major Afghan medical plant; (2) the 9/11 attackers were directly motivated by a desire to retaliate against us for the violence we have inflicted on the Middle East (I will provide quotes from all their martyrdom videos if anyone doubts this and I can defend this point in detail with all sorts of references), and (3) more innocent Afghans died during any three or four month period of our occupation of that country than died on 9/11, and the statistics for Iraq are even worse. And you won’t find a single writer anywhere in the country field batting an eye. In light of all that, while I once again understand the sentiment, to say that the “world stopped turning” when just a small fraction of the violence we have inflicted on the world came back to us strikes me as ... I’m not sure exactly what the appropriate word is, but if you understand me so far I think you get the point. And in greater or lesser ways, that sort of mentality seems rather pervasive all throughout country. Let me repeat that as a libertarian–leaning individual, I have a great deal in common with conservatives; it’s not that I’m opposed to conservatism per se. Indeed, I’d even suggest Bill Kauffman’s book, “Ain’t My America: The Long, Noble History of Antiwar Conservatism and Middle–American Anti-Imperialism” to defend the claim that conservatism has a much stronger historical claim to true principled antiwar sentiment than does liberalism.

And it has nothing to do with the general style of country, either. I absolutely love the Civil Wars (especially Barton Hollow, 20/20, and Falling), and if anyone has any suggestions for similar artists I’d be quite grateful.
 AndaRaine
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/2/2012 10:11:25 AM
I love the sound of the guitar. Doesn't matter what genre it is, I just love that sound. There are some country songs I love where I fell in love with the guitar, yet I'm not the biggest country fan. I'm definitely a rock gal!
 emlooking4someone
Msg: 49
Posted: 6/2/2012 7:58:37 PM
I don't know. I like it. I don't know much about country music, but I blast it in my car on most occasions. It seems like I'm the only Latino that loves country music, though.
 dragondancer313
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/2/2012 10:34:33 PM
I love (newer) country.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Why does everyone seem to not like country music?