Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Why does everyone seem to not like country music?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ghettoblasters
Msg: 76
Why does everyone seem to not like country music?Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
the same reason nobody reads romance novels. theyre cheesy, watered down, done-to-death ideas with little to no variety. mainstream country is really what im ripping on here though.. theres folk, acoustic, indie, and blues and thats all fine (with obvious exceptions). pretty much, if youve heard one country song, youve heard them all.
 Trailsman5
Msg: 77
Why does everyone seem to not like country music?
Posted: 10/24/2012 9:47:23 PM
Anything interesting country had to say was said by 1965. Adding drums and electric guitars doesn't change that. Like during the Bush Administration... hundreds were dying overseas in Iraq, but what did country have to say about it? Nothing, other than praise Jesus and support the troops (which means put a bumper sticker that says "support the troops" on your pick up). Why are there no deep thinkers in country? As for the music, I too am okay with blues, folk, etc... but country pop just sounds like they're getting rock n' roll wrong.

Dwight Yoakam has my respect for guitar skills, and the Dixie Chicks did a great version of "Landslide", but other than that, listening to a country station is like having your TV tuned to the religious stations.

Its like Lawrence Welk, except the people aren't dressed as nice.
 Blueberryeggos
Msg: 78
Posted: 10/25/2012 11:00:47 PM
Because its country music. The question answers itself
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 79
Posted: 10/27/2012 9:12:37 AM
When you limit your choices because of a "label", you are only shortchanging yourself. Better to spend some effort and expand your world.
Lots of country music that is played on the radio is commercial crap, just as hip-hop, rock, and rap, or the worst yet, soft jazz(yukk).
And yet I have heard great rap, wonderful live hip-hop, and lots of great country,,, but you have to do a little homework, maybe poke around on Youtube and find some fresh talent, it IS out there, because what comes over the airwaves is often C R A P.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2012 3:35:30 PM
I've played guitar and in bands for over 40 years. I'll pass on any country music venue...I don't mind playing some of the older stuff from the 70's and before but not much since.

where I live country music has an associated lifestyle I'll pass on. Too much beer, pot bellies, smoking, hunting, pick up trucks, etc. I'm proud to be a snob and get off on attending theatre, hiking, birdwatching and a making a veggie stir fry.
 Green_Jello44
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2012 3:51:54 PM

When you limit your choices because of a "label", you are only shortchanging yourself. Better to spend some effort and expand your world.
Lots of country music that is played on the radio is commercial crap, just as hip-hop, rock, and rap, or the worst yet, soft jazz(yukk).
And yet I have heard great rap, wonderful live hip-hop, and lots of great country,,, but you have to do a little homework, maybe poke around on Youtube and find some fresh talent, it IS out there, because what comes over the airwaves is often C R A P.
- right on, it feels great to be musically unlimited, in fact I have a hard time with people who aren't.......
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2012 11:24:52 AM
It's odd an American claiming to be 'musically unlimited'. When I'm in the USA I doubt if 5% of the stuff out there in the world is ever played in the USA. 90% of americans listen to a variation of the same blues/rock/country/folk musical foundation. More or less 4/4 time with the same chord variations. Thus why anyone proficient on guitar can cover it all with ease.

Latinos are more expansive and at least incorporate more variety into their musical experiences.
 Green_Jello44
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2012 1:08:53 PM
What an ignorant comment, whats being american got to do with it? 60's brit rock, 70's hard metal, fusion, hip hop, drum and bass, edm, electro, euro death metal, country, lounge, trad jazz, french downtempo, j-pop, nu-metal, alt, top 40..... a good song is a good song.......but i do hate the blues........
 dr0pdeadfred
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2012 4:09:21 PM
i could tell you exactly why people seem to not like country music... and i'm not going to go back and read a bunch just to see if it's already been said

it's because (with most music genres out there) the stuff played on the radio is all garbage for the most part...when you are switching in between stations trying to find something you like you will stop for a second on the country channel and hear somebody singing about their ford truck or something and think to yourself "well this is garbage" ... i'm talking about all those people you see doing music videos and playing at the calgary stampede ect... but when you flip the channel a few more times you will hear people like justin bieber and think "well this still sounds like crap" and quickly change it again... it's all the same though, pop is pop and it's sad that there are so many sheep out there who only want something catchy and memorable to like a song when they hear it but thats what's been driving the music industry for the last century or so... and it's because of this reason people go off and say they hate country, they hear pop country garbage and assume all the rest of country music sounds like that creating a huge dislike for country as a whole

the next time anybody says that to you bring up johnny cash, and good ol stompin tom... everyone seems to like the classics no matter what music genre, and with that you can pretty much deduce that they don't actually hate country but dislike popular country and they should give some of the sub-genres a try
 Green_Jello44
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2012 4:48:33 PM
I'd say thats a relevant thought Fred...but its deeper than that. For instance most rockers frickin hate it, just like some people violently hate rap. I hated country too, the sad steel guitars, stupid lyrics......but there are some really cool uptempo songs, and hey, most lyrics in any genre are stupid and redundant.
 dr0pdeadfred
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2012 6:43:34 PM
try going to a local rock bar and not hearing people sing along to ring of fire if it gets played then... request it even i'm sure they would
 activemelaney
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2012 4:14:16 PM

90% of americans listen to a variation of the same blues/rock/country/folk musical foundation. More or less 4/4 time with the same chord variations. [/quote}

So true and is why we enjoy a few country or rock songs even if we don't seek it out. In contrast our ears aren't refined to pick up on music from India or China. Rap is outdside the box and not appreciated my most who didn't have it as a music when growing up.
 Mrhorror
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2012 6:55:29 PM
I enjoy OLD country music, and some Hank the 3rd style.... But Im mostly into rock/punk/metal/Classical
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 89
Posted: 11/4/2012 4:35:21 PM
^^^^^^
Take note of the above.
A man with an open mind, who makes his OWN choices.
 Nik1Johnson
Msg: 90
Posted: 11/16/2012 8:32:21 AM
Because it's a very shallow genre that caters to a small demographic. Country music use to be tough and cool, because people actually believed that those who lived out in the country instead of the city were tough and rugged by nature. Now it's the city dwellers who are considered tough and the country people are just silly drunks who drive their tractors around town with no shirt on.
 billingsmason
Msg: 91
Posted: 11/17/2012 5:17:36 PM
some folks just got no class.

my radio gets both kinds of music, country AND western.

I have never seen a slicker come in and say country boys and gals aint tough.... that would be hilarious.
Chris Knight- move on.... exemplifies this conviction.
 skelligrock
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2012 4:37:07 AM
Personally, I think it begins with the clothes and the hair styles!
 mjinict
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2012 5:10:09 PM
I for one like a lot of country music radio. Yes, it gets redundant and not all are quality, but aren't most radio stations that way? I like Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Dierks Bentley, Brad Paisley, Keith Urban...Ok, so they're all good lookin' guys but hey, they are very talented and were GREAT concerts! The videos are entertaining, too.
 sunriseguy5
Msg: 94
Posted: 11/19/2012 10:15:08 PM
keith urban and star anna are 2 country artists i listen to and own their music.
 CapricornAquarius
Msg: 95
Posted: 11/19/2012 10:22:38 PM
Because Country songs require a level of concentration. I love the stories told in country songs. Good ol' folk music. Sadly, most people these days like their music with no " moral of the story" bologna crap! I say that in the nicest way possible.
 melodic_intention
Msg: 96
Posted: 11/20/2012 9:30:09 PM
Everyone hates country music? Apparently you've never lived in Nashville or Austin.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 97
Posted: 11/20/2012 9:50:01 PM
Plenty of people like country.. I don't mind that not everyone does..

DRKKNGHT193
Msg: 98
Posted: 11/20/2012 10:30:27 PM
I like Outlaw Country, the poppy stuff that populates the airwaves can go to hell though.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 99
Posted: 11/20/2012 11:16:15 PM

I like Outlaw Country, the poppy stuff that populates the airwaves can go to hell though.

"Red solo cup"..... Makes me throw up LOL
 DRKKNGHT193
Msg: 100
Posted: 11/20/2012 11:17:53 PM
Yep, that stuff is annoying as hell, give me Nelson and Haggard any day, Pancho and Lefty ftw!
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Why does everyone seem to not like country music?