Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > New ID voter law? [CLOSED]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 451
New ID voter law?Page 19 of 29    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29)
Pennsylvania Voter ID Judge Rescues Republicans
Bloomberg‎ - 1 day ago
Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court judge Robert Simpson yesterday did his part to save the Republican Party. Simpson, a Republican himself ...
 vlad dracul
Msg: 452
view profile
History
New ID voter law?
Posted: 10/8/2012 10:43:02 AM
i was just having a wee gander at russia today (as you do) and of course
your election over the pond is one of their main topics.

now regarding this id malarky i see no problem with it but others are spitting
blood over it.

here is russia todays take on it.

Stealing a US election? Nothing’s easier!
http://rt.com/usa/news/us-election-voting-system-785/

Who let the dogs vote? The State of New Mexico!

His name is Buddy, and getting his vote is going to be especially ruff.

''Buddy might be undecided on which way he’ll be leaning this Election Day for now, but throw him a bone and you might get his vote. Buddy is a dog. A four-legged, floppy-eared, collar-wearing pooch that, in Albuquerque, New Mexico, is now registered to vote.
The pup’s owner says he had no problem signing up Buddy to cast a ballot. To KOB Eyewitness News, he says he approached a voter registration booth at the University of New Mexico campus a few weeks ago and wondered if it would be easy to add Buddy’s name to the roster of voters.
To his surprise, it didn’t require that much hounding. Buddy is now a registered voter.

“I made up a birth date, and I made up a Social Security number and I had a voter registration card in my hand for Buddy two weeks later," says the man.
"They should verify.Somebody should have verified this information and somebody should have come out and took a look at exactly who it was,” he adds.''

http://rt.com/usa/news/vote-dog-mexico-buddy-735/

Corpses vote in South Carolina

''The afterlife might not be that bad after all. Cushy cloud-lounging, one-on-one with God and, ideally, an eternity in bliss. For the deceased in South Carolina, one extra perk was recently discovered: extended voting rights.
On the same day that former House Speaker Newt Gingrich clinched the win in the South Carolina primary, the state’s attorney general, Alan Wilson, stumbled upon what he says are nearly 1,000 improper votes in the state's recent voting records. According to Wilson, at least 953 votes have been cast in his state by citizens that otherwise wouldn’t exactly be expected to hit the polls on Election Day. Each of those 953 ballots, says Wilson, were made by the deceased.''

Government-issued photo identification is not required in either New Hampshire or South Carolina. In Wilson’s report, 37,000 deceased individuals were still listed as being illegible to vote, even if they passed away during the last Bush administration. Wilson is hoping that the Justice Department will investigate state voting records going back to the 2008 presidential election. ''

http://rt.com/usa/news/south-carolina-wilson-deceased-501/

happy voting folks
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 453
New ID voter law?
Posted: 10/9/2012 8:38:28 AM
Last week, ProgressNow New Mexico released a video showing a Republican Party leader leading a "poll challenger training" replete with false information about New Mexico's voting laws. The misinformation disseminated by the Republican official - during the training and also in a manual created by the party - could be used to restrict eligible citizens' voting rights and thus harm the integrity of the upcoming election. For example, the Republican official told trainees they could demand voters show ID at the polls if two precinct board members request it and instructed participants that voters needing interpreters could not use them - claims the Bernalillo County Clerk said was simply "not correct" and could lead these poll challengers to act in a vigilante capacity on Election Day.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-wilson/voter-suppression-new-mexico_b_1948003.html
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 454
New ID voter law?
Posted: 10/19/2012 6:00:09 AM
From the sure there is no funny business going on here file:

AZ Voter ID Cards List Incorrect Date for General Election
October 17, 2012 07:30 AM
By Diane Sweet

Arizona's largest county puts wrong date on voter cards. Only in Spanish though. Wonder how that happened?

"The Maricopa County Elections Department mistakenly listed the wrong date of the upcoming general election on an official government document.

The error appears on a document containing a voter ID card.

In addition to the ID card, the piece of paper it comes in lists other information such as important election dates.

In the corner of the document, it says November 6th in English but in Spanish it reads 8 de Noviembre, the 8th of November.

Election day is November 6th, not November 8th."

Read more at: http://occupyamerica.crooksandliars.com/diane-sweet/az-voter-id-cards-list-incorrect-date-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Virginia GOP Caught Throwing Away Voter Registrations--UPDATED
October 18, 2012 01:00 PM
By Nicole Belle

You know how every time they're in control, Republicans grow the government and run into the ground to prove that government is inefficient and bloated? Well, I think it's time to realize that the GOP is now determined to prove that their cries of voter fraud are true...because they're the ones committing it...

...I guess when you've got so little to run on and you know you can't win legitimately, the only thing left is to commit a federal crime and cheat voters of their right to vote. That "ends justify the means" attitude perfectly sums up Republican logic.

But wait, there's more:

UPDATE: Sources close to the Rockingham County Sheriff's Office are telling me that Strategic Allied Consulting is involved in this. This is the same group that was in the national news two weeks ago for their "registration" drive in Florida that had forms with made up voters.

Even more interesting. Strategic Allied Consulting shares a Virginia headquarters with two other notables.

#1- American Crossroads- the superpac founded by Karl Rove and Ed Gillespie

#2- The office of Virginia State Senator Jill Holtzman Vogel.

Oh Karl...how unsurprising to find your name connected to this. I'm gonna go out on a limb right now and say that Virginia's wingnut Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli will do absolutely nothing about this kind of blatant crime, but he sure was at the forefront of making one of the more stringent voter ID laws in the nation...

Read more about how the GOP will attempt to steal the election at: http://crooksandliars.com/nicole-belle/virginia-gop-caught-throwing-away-vot
 unYOUsual
Msg: 455
New ID voter law?
Posted: 10/19/2012 7:24:16 AM
Why should any voting documents be printed in anything other than English anyways?
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 456
New ID voter law?
Posted: 10/19/2012 7:37:13 AM

Why should any voting documents be printed in anything other than English anyways?

So true, I mean, why on earth should anyone but a white male property owner vote anyway???
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 457
New ID voter law?
Posted: 10/19/2012 12:05:30 PM

Realizing that your statement is sarcastic in nature, it points out just how a persons statement can be taken out of context, such as you did with your sarcastic statement.

Geeze PK you're sharper than you look...

You may have been attempting to impune

It wasn't an attempt.

otherwise, why did you come here in the first place?

Oh PK whatever do you imply...for I am a natural born citizen.

ASSIMILATE

Yes, and until they do the republicants will try and pull illegal shyte like this:

AZ Voter ID Cards List Incorrect Date for General Election
October 17, 2012 07:30 AM
By Diane Sweet

Arizona's largest county puts wrong date on voter cards. Only in Spanish though. Wonder how that happened?

"The Maricopa County Elections Department mistakenly listed the wrong date of the upcoming general election on an official government document.

In addition to the ID card, the piece of paper it comes in lists other information such as important election dates.

In the corner of the document, it says November 6th in English but in Spanish it reads 8 de Noviembre, the 8th of November.

Election day is November 6th, not November 8th."

Read more at: http://occupyamerica.crooksandliars.com/diane-sweet/az-voter-id-cards-list-incorrect-date-
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 458
New ID voter law?
Posted: 10/21/2012 3:49:30 PM
From the "Really, they are allowed to do that?" file:

Romney family buys voting machines through Bain Capital investment
Cleveland : OH : USA | Oct 19, 2012 at 10:11 AM PDT
By itobin53

Tagg Romney, the son of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, has purchased electronic voting machines that will be used in the 2012 elections in Ohio, Texas, Oklahoma, Washington and Colorado.

"Late last month, Gerry Bello and Bob Fitrakis at FreePress.org broke the story of the Mitt Romney/Bain Capital investment team involved in H.I.G. Capital which, in July of 2011, completed a "strategic investment" to take over a fair share of the Austin-based e-voting machine company Hart Intercivic," according to independent journalist Brad Friedman.

But Friedman is not the only one to discover the connection between the Romney family, Bain Capital, and ownership of voting machines.

Truth out reports:

"Through a closely held equity fund called Solamere, Mitt Romney and his wife, son and brother are major investors in an investment firm called H.I.G. Capital. H.I.G. in turn holds a majority share and three out of five board members in Hart Intercivic, a company that owns the notoriously faulty electronic voting machines that will count the ballots in swing state Ohio November 7. Hart machines will also be used elsewhere in the United States.

In other words, a candidate for the presidency of the United States, and his brother, wife and son, have a straight-line financial interest in the voting machines that could decide this fall's election. These machines cannot be monitored by the public. But they will help decide who "owns" the White House."...

Read more about this at: http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/13221476-romney-family-buys-voting-machines-through-bain-capital-investment
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 459
New ID voter law?
Posted: 10/21/2012 6:51:06 PM
It’s 3:00 a.m. on November 7, 2012.

With the painfully close presidential election now down to who wins the battleground state of Ohio, no network dares to call the race and risk repeating the mistakes of 2000 when a few networks jumped the gun on picking a winner.

As the magic boards used by the networks go ‘up close and personal’ on every county in the Buckeye State, word begins to circulate that there might be a snafu with some electronic voting machines in a number of Cincinnati based precincts. There have already been complaints that broken machines were not being quickly replaced in precincts that tend to lean Democratic and now, word is coming in that there may be some software issues.

The network political departments get busy and, in short order, discover that the machines used in Hamilton County, Ohio—the county home of Cincinnati— are supplied by Hart Intercivic, a national provider of voting systems in use in a wide variety of counties scattered throughout the states of Texas, Oklahoma, Hawaii, Colorado and Ohio.

A quick Internet search reveals that there may be reason for concern.

A test conducted in 2007 by the Ohio Secretary of State revealed that five of the electronic voting systems the state was looking to use in the upcoming 2008 presidential election had failed badly, each easily susceptible to chicanery that could alter the results of an election.

As reported in the New York Times, “At polling stations, teams working on the study were able to pick locks to access memory cards and use hand-held devices to plug false vote counts into machines. At boards of election, they were able to introduce malignant software into servers.”

We learn that one of the companies whose machines had failed was none other than Hart Intercivic.

With television time to fill and no ability to declare a winner so that the long night’s broadcast can be brought to a close, the staffs keep digging for relevant information to keep the attention of their viewers—and that is when it gets very real.

It turns out that Hart Intercivic is owned, in large part, by H.I.G. Capital—a large investment fund with billions of dollars under management—that was founded by a fellow named Tony Tamer. While is is unclear just how much H.I.G. owns of Hart Intercivic, we do learn that H.I.G. employees hold at least two of the five Hart Intercivic board seats.
A little more digging turns up a few tidbits of data than soon become ‘the story’.

Tony Tamer, H.I.G.’s founder, turns out to be a major bundler for the Mitt Romney campaign, along with three other directors of H.I.G. who are also big-time money raisers for Romney.

Indeed, as fate would have it, two of those directors—Douglas Berman and Brian Schwartz— were actually in attendance at the now infamous “47 percent” fundraiser in Boca Raton, Florida.

With that news, voters everywhere start to get this queasy feeling in the pits of their stomach.

But wait—if you’re feeling a bit ill now, you’ll want to get the anti-acids ready to go because it’s about get really strange.

To everyone’s amazement, we learn that two members of the Hart Intercivic board of directors, Neil Tuch and Jeff Bohl, have made direct contributions to the Romney campaign. This, despite the fact that they represent 40 percent of the full board of directors of a company whose independent, disinterested and studiously non-partisan status in any election taking place on their voting machines would seemingly be a ‘no brainer’.
Numerous media sources, including Truthout, are reporting that Solamere Capital—the investment firm run by Mitt Romney’s son, Tagg, and the home of money put into the closely held firm by Tagg’s uncle Scott, mother Anne and, of course, the dad who might just be the next President of the United States—depending upon how the vote count turns out, in our little tale, in the State of Ohio—have shared business interests with H.I.G. either directly or via Solamere Advisors which is owned, in part, by Solamere Capital, including a reported investment in H.I.G. by either Solamere Capital or Solamere Advisors.

Lee Fang, in his piece for The Nation exploring the government related activities of various companies in which Solamere has an interest writes-

“Meanwhile, HIG Capital—one of the largest Solamere partners, with nearly $10 billion of equity capital—owns a number of other firms that are closely monitoring the federal government. ”

While the Cincinnati scenario is —at this point—fiction, the rest of this story is all too true, including the part where the voting machines to be used in Hamilton County will be those provided by Hart Intercivic.

And while I am not suggesting conspiracies or that anyone would get involved in any foul play here, most particularly the GOP candidate for President, how is it possible that so many people could exercise so much bad judgment?

The sanctity of voting in America is supposed to be one of our most important virtues. So concerned are we with a ‘clean’ process that James O’Keefe has made a career entrapping, video taping and destroying those sympathetic to Democratic Party candidates and causes who cross the line when it comes to the voting process. And that’s just fine. If Mr. O’Keefe can legitimately expose someone engaging in voter fraud, he most certainly should call them out.

So, why would these individuals who serve on the board of directors of Hart Intercivic go out of their way to make a contribution to any political candidate given the critical importance of their company remaining above reproach when it comes to the political process? And why would those who run the company that owns Hart Intercivic be giving hundreds of thousands of dollars to a political candidate? And why would a political candidate and his family have a financial relationship with a company that owns a chunk of the voting machine company that will be counting the actual votes given to that political candidate or his opponent?

Keith Olbermann was suspended from his job at MSNBC for donating a couple hundred bucks to a local candidate that was a friend of his. Why? Because his employer required that journalists at the network stay free of having given such contributions to any candidate for all the obvious reasons.

Is it really too much to ask that those who control the voting machines that record and count the votes of our elections be held to at least the same standard?

Hopefully, everything will go swimmingly in Cincinnati on Election Day. And, if it doesn’t, it will no doubt be the result of honest error.

Yet, because of this uncomfortable chain of ownership, we now find ourselves with one more headache among the many headaches that accompany the important work of choosing an American president and believing that the process was a fair one—particularly when such an election comes down to a very few votes as may well be the case on Election Day, 2012.

Really, guys. You couldn’t find anything else to invest in? You couldn’t donate all those hundreds of thousands to charity rather than put it into political contributions so that your fellow countrymen would have no reason to ever doubt or question the results of so important an election—or any election for that matter, even if it’s the choice of a county dogcatcher?

I truly wonder sometimes just what these allegedly smart people have inside their heads—or, more importantly, their hearts.

To Mr. Bohl’s credit, after giving a total of $4,000 to “Romney For President”, it must have occurred to him that it might not look so good for a board member of a company whose voting machines are to be a part of the presidential election to be playing favorites—so he gave $250 to Barack Obama to sort of balance the scales.

Mr. Tuch? Not so much.

Interestingly, Mr. Bohl lists himself as an investor at H.I.G. Capital for his Romney contributions but his far smaller donation to Obama was done as “Jeff Bohl, self-employed innkeeper”.

And finally, we learn that H.I.G. is the 11th largest of all the contributors to the Romney effort.

Did I say “finally”? My bad…because there is, indeed, more.

Can you guess who is reported to have a financial relationship with H.I.G. Capital?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/10/20/romney-family-investment-ties-to-voting-machine-company-that-could-decide-the-election-causes-concern/3/
 OyVay...
Msg: 460
New ID voter law?
Posted: 11/8/2012 8:42:16 PM
HEY HEY HEY!!!!! It's awful quiet out there...I have posted a number of posts on a number of threads about new voter ID laws, with no one on the right mentioning them....whas a matta? Not important now that the election is over?

Hey, all you good republicans...why not a bipartisan voter reform NOW? You can get your voter ID cards, you dearly need, pass it in the next 12 months...you will have 36 months to implement it...you can have state governments make it cheap and easy to obtain...they can go from town to town over periods of time so it is available to all...no one gets disenfranchised...

What about it? DO YOU NEED IT NOW? You want to eliminate that voter fraud now doncha?

Or was this a smokescreen to hold down the democratic vote...c'mon guys...inquiring minds want to know?

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!
 unYOUsual
Msg: 461
New ID voter law?
Posted: 11/9/2012 4:43:23 AM
We still need voter ID..Funny that you guys are posting about reform after your guy was elected and you argued against any voter ID laws..

no one gets disenfranchised...
what a crock..no one would have been disenfranchised you guys were just scared that your guy wouldn't get elected without all the illegal voting...
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 462
New ID voter law?
Posted: 11/9/2012 5:03:08 AM
all the illegal voting

I must have missed all the news about illegal voters being arrested or convicted of voter fraud.

But, I have read about "poll monitors" sent by the GOP and it's fringe factions to intimidate minority voters under the guise of verifying voter eligibility. And have seen how poorly Florida handled it's voting, with the 10 page ballot along with instructions, that created 6 hour lines (and wonder if there is a statistic on which states-ahem- had the greatest polling problems-note to self-google)

Funny, how the polling issues effected BOTH democrats and republicans...I think that didn't turn out as planned.
 OyVay...
Msg: 463
New ID voter law?
Posted: 11/9/2012 9:41:04 AM
My hats off to you unYOU! At least you had the guts to post here! I don't see the dozens of others, who posted on these 23 pages coming back...all I hear is crickets...

"We still need voter ID"

OK, so now is the time to pass it in a nonpartisan way! As I said if it's passed this year, the obtaining of ID cards, made easy for those, who can't travel hundreds of miles to a limited number of offices in any state. It can be achieved in the 36 months till the next election for president.

The problem we(liberals/democrats) found with those laws was the implementation in 1 or 2 years, with a limited amount of offices, and limited hours, to get one a scant 10 or 16 months BEFORE the election. In point of fact the SCOTUS agreed with us in their ruling. Even you must admit, the timing was at best poor, at worst a disengenuous effort to win the election by suppressing the vote of democrats...

"without all the illegal voting"

Yes, I know that's the narative you will be sold by Fox and others...if there was 'illegal voting' with 34,000 poll watchers, which incidentally were skewed heavily toward democratic locations and not republican ones...by the GOP. They would have been howling tuesday night, or in court to file papers to overturn the results on wednesday!

BUT....LET'S STICK WITH THE ISSUE!

If there is a need for voter ID's...then NOW is the time to act, let's join together, pass fair laws. Force state governments to make them easily obtainable, to all who are eligable, so this isn't an issue next time.

NOW where are the rest who spent so much time posting here?????

Do you support voter reform, to achieve a balanced and fair vote????
 unYOUsual
Msg: 464
New ID voter law?
Posted: 11/9/2012 10:05:38 AM
yep and thats what the states who enacted voter ID laws did
..you guys can feign reasonability now that Obama got reelected...
easy access to ID wasnt a real issue it was a fabrication created by liberal fear of losing many questionable votes..
 OyVay...
Msg: 465
New ID voter law?
Posted: 11/9/2012 2:25:29 PM
"easy access to ID wasn't a real issue"

Really? Want to explain that to people in Penn. who waited for 4 or more hours at the DMV? Or the state who had limited amount of places to get it, some many miles from residents of several towns?

"losing questionable votes"

Well isn't that what we're talking about? It is the job of government to make sure voting rights are easily available to ALL who are qualified? That isn't a question of expediency...that is a question of making it as smooth as possible for ALL qualified voters. Saying you will open offices from 9 to 5, monday to friday, is NOT making it easy, for those of the working poor, who are paid by the hour.

Easy is making this sacred right as easy as it needs to be. Having state governments decide in a partisan way, that arbitrarily, they will make voter ID, HARDER to obtain, is caprisicous.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 466
view profile
History
New ID voter law?
Posted: 11/9/2012 3:58:12 PM
Expand the hours for voting for all states and make the hours the same for all states. Do this federally so each state is equal. Buy more voting machines for each state as needed to make voting easier for all citizens. Hire as many poll workers as needed to ensure fair elections... Pay for all of this by enacting a federal tax on all political PAC's and campaign contributions regardless of party affiliation.
 OyVay...
Msg: 467
New ID voter law?
Posted: 11/9/2012 4:06:25 PM
OMG!!!!@562...are you crazy? You mean you want things to be fair? You mean untaxed masses of money that put forward political agenda's...should have to foot some of the bill, for the process they want to partake in? What are you a radical?

Hahahahaha! Hope my sanguine sarcasm is not lost on the dolts....
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 468
view profile
History
New ID voter law?
Posted: 11/9/2012 4:31:46 PM
@563... Yes, I saw that idea on one of the political talk shows and I thought it sounded pretty good. I figured it could be one of the better influences these groups could have on an election.
 OyVay...
Msg: 469
New ID voter law?
Posted: 11/11/2012 12:54:59 PM
LAST CALL!!!! Gee, all I hear are crickets! What happened to all the republicans who wanted this so dearly???

This was a core issue. It's as though this thread has some sort of disease...they don't want to talk about....

I am going to have to assume this WAS a tactic to hold down the vote, and not an issue they really believed in. Fox news is mum on it, rush is mum on it, the WHOLE conservative/teaparty/republican arena of folks have walked away!

Like I said, NOW is the time to pass bipartisan legislation, get those sacred, holy, absolutely needed, can't live without ID cards passed and the issue dealt with and put away for good....right????

Or will we hear a beat to arms on the issue 20 months before the next presidential election, when it will be again to late for all to get them....

Anyone? Is anyone out there? Heeeellllloooooo?? Republicans...yoohoo where are you????
 Aries_328
Msg: 470
view profile
History
New ID voter law?
Posted: 11/11/2012 2:29:36 PM

LAST CALL!!!! Gee, all I hear are crickets! What happened to all the republicans who wanted this so dearly???

Where they were not rejected they will be implemented post election.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 471
New ID voter law?
Posted: 11/14/2012 9:13:59 AM
Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Richard Carmona conceded last week to Republican Rep. Jeff Flake, but as activists protest in Arizona over uncounted ballots, Carmona's campaign said Monday it will consider its options if the voting tally tightens.

"We're watching it very closely, and we’re going to make sure every vote is counted," Carmona campaign spokesman Andy Barr told TPM's Sahil Kapur.

Arizona has been under fire since last week, when a number of votes went uncounted due to issues at the polls. Voters reported showing up only to be told they were not registered or they had been issued absentee ballots, and were instead given provisional ballots that are now being counted by the state. (The Arizona Republic lays out the possible reasons for votes to go uncounted here.)

As of last Thursday, more than 600,000 ballots had yet to be counted -- out of 3.1 million registered voters -- more than any other recent presidential election, The New York Times reported.

By Saturday, there were 486,405 uncounted ballots, according to the Arizona secretary of state's website. Carmona currently trails Flake by more than 78,000 votes.

Groups in the state focused intently on increasing Latino turnout this year, and did succeed in getting more of those voters to the polls. But advocates said that many Latinos were among those who had voting issues, although they were not the only ones involved in the problem.

"This is not just a matter for Latino voters, this concerns all voters, not just in Arizona but across the country," Promise Arizona executive director Petra Falcon said in a statement last week. "As Americans we need to have trust and faith in the electoral system. This is a disgrace, and every American should be very concerned."

Department of Justice spokeswoman Dena Iverson told The Huffington Post last week that the agency is reviewing voting hotline calls and election-monitoring reports for potential violations. "If in the process of an investigation the department finds a violation occurred, we will take steps, potentially including legal action, to ensure compliance with federal laws," she said in an email.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) spoke out Saturday on the voting issues in Arizona, calling for them to be counted "promptly, accurately and equally."

"In light of the Supreme Court’s decision to hear challenges to the Voting Rights Act, we are reminded that the right to vote is the foundation of our democracy," Reid said. "That right is not secure when some votes are counted while others are suppressed or ignored. I expect state and local officials in Arizona to ensure that every vote is counted promptly, accurately and equally."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/12/richard-carmona-arizona_n_2119034.html

Spanish-language voter documents circulated in Arizona this week told voters that Election Day was November 8, while the English version of these same documents correctly listed the date as the 6th.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/arizona-voters-latinos-mistakes-election-day-2012-10#ixzz2CDaLGAea
 Aries_328
Msg: 472
view profile
History
New ID voter law?
Posted: 11/14/2012 9:33:59 AM
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/10/18/arizona-county-lists-wrong-election-date-on-spanish-language-voter-documents/

In an October 16 press release, the Maricopa Recorder’s Office said elections officials mailed out 2 million new voter registration cards, and only those that had been handed out in the office had the date error. Based on figures from previous years, the office estimates that it gave out 50 or so erroneous cards.

Caught around October 16th and only about 50 made it to the public. Error.

Hiding investigations from public depriving them of rights to critical information necessary to make a legitimately informed decision... what would you call that?
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 473
New ID voter law?
Posted: 11/14/2012 9:49:24 AM
documents circulated in Arizona this week told voters that Election Day was November 8, while the English version of these same documents correctly listed the date as the 6th.

Election officials in Maricopa County have brushed the slip-up off as "an honest mistake," claiming that out of nearly two million cards mailed out, only 50 contained the error.

Maricopa County is Arizona's most populous county and the center of longstanding tension between Latinos and county officials.

Immigration laws in Arizona are some of the country's strictest, with the recent implementation of its "papers please" provision of the SB 1070 law. Additionally, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is being tried in a class-action lawsuit for civil rights and constitutional violations against Hispanics.

With Election Day around the corner, voter ID laws around the country have been intensely scrutinized by Democrats. This incident only serves to deepen concerns regarding voter suppression, leading many to believe that Republicans in many states are conspiring to deny particular citizens their constitutional right to vote.

But Latino organizations weren't too pleased with the incident.

"This “mistake” sends the wrong message to hundreds of our volunteers who are working hard to strengthen our democracy, and to the over 34,000 new voters they registered," Petra Falcon, executive director of the immigration reform group Promise Arizona in Action, told Business Insider. "Imagine going to the polls as a new voter, only to find out they closed two days earlier. We essentially tell our citizens: their voice does not matter here in Arizona. As a democracy, we cannot afford to make these types of 'mistakes'. "

Arturo Vargas, executive director of the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials (NALEO) Educational Fund, said that it was a setback for voter outreach, but that his group would continue to try and get Spanish-speaking voters to the polls on the correct day.

"Regardless of whether this incident was intentional or not, it means that organizations like the NALEO Educational Fund will need to work even harder to ensure that Latinos in the Maricopa community have the information necessary to cast their ballots on Election Day," he told Business Insider

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/arizona-voters-latinos-mistakes-election-day-2012-10#ixzz2CDjCK600
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 474
New ID voter law?
Posted: 11/14/2012 10:27:03 AM
The first error in Arizona was this:

Maricopa County Elections Department admits error on date of general election on voter ID cards

Posted: 10/16/2012
By: Tim Vetscher

PHOENIX, AZ - The Maricopa County Elections Department mistakenly listed the wrong date of the upcoming general election on an official government document.

Election day is November 6th, not November 8th.

Charlotte Walker of Sun City received one of the voter ID documents with the incorrect date.

Typically the documents are mailed out to voters but Walker picked hers up in person at the Maricopa County Recorder's Office in downtown Phoenix.

A spokesperson for the Maricopa County Elections Department said they've traced the mistake to those documents distributed over the counter.

The Elections Department spokesperson assured ABC15 the only people affected by the mistake are those who received their voter ID card document in person at the recorder's office and not through the mail.

The Elections Department spokesperson estimates fewer than 50 people received a document showing the incorrect date.

Walker believes the mistake could have serious consequences.

"It could have a significant impact on the election outcome because they'd go to the polls on November 8th and they wouldn't be open," said Walker. "They wouldn't be able to cast their vote this year."

In a press release, the Elections Department claims to be basing the number of 50 on what they've distributed over the counter in previous years.

The press release doesn't indicate if those were election years.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_phoenix_metro/central_phoenix/Maricopa-County-Elections-Department-admits-error-on-date-of-general-election-on-voter-ID-cards
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 475
New ID voter law?
Posted: 11/14/2012 10:29:46 AM
The next error was this:

Maricopa County Elections Department admits election date error on more Arizona documents

Posted: 10/22/2012
By: Tim Vetscher

PHOENIX - A spokesperson for the Maricopa County Elections Department admits they once again gave voters the wrong date of next month's election.

Yvonne Reed confirms to ABC15 that bookmarks distributed by the elections department incorrectly listed the date of the general election in Spanish as November 8.

The flip side of the bookmark correctly lists the date in English as November 6.

Reed tells ABC15 the bookmarks were distributed at the three election counters throughout Maricopa County and that the department has no way of knowing exactly how many people received the bookmarks.

Randy Parraz, President of Citizens For A Better Arizona, says the blame lies squarely with Maricopa County Recorder Helen Purcell.

"It shows she's incompetent and not qualified," said Parraz.

ABC15 exposed a similar mistake by the Maricopa County Elections Department last week on a voter ID document.

The document, like the bookmark, also listed the date of the general election in Spanish as November 8, but November 6 in English.

"The moment you found the first problem, there should have been an inventory," said Parraz, referring to the voter ID document. "Anyone with common sense would have done an inventory on everything that's been printed to catch this."

"The fact you brought [the bookmark] to her attention shows [Purcell] doesn't know what she's doing," said Parraz.

Purcell declined ABC15's request for an interview Monday.

Reed, Purcell's spokesperson, says the error was not intentional but rather simply yet another mistake.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_phoenix_metro/central_phoenix/maricopa-county-elections-department-admits-to-another-error
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > New ID voter law? [CLOSED]