Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > New ID voter law? [CLOSED]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 matchlight
Msg: 176
view profile
History
New ID voter law?Page 8 of 29    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29)
President Obama has done all he can to see that our immigration laws are not enforced. He knows that even if only a small fraction of the millions of illegal aliens managed to vote, almost every one of them would vote Democratic. They may not understand English, but they understand which party wants to keep the federal slop trough full. And doesn't true social justice demand that the half of Americans who pay taxes support illegal aliens too?

The radicals who control the Democratic Party have another natural constituency--ex-felons. If they could manage to get more states to give jailbirds the vote, they'd really have something. With enough ex-felons and illegal aliens voting, the Democrats would have a good shot at controlling the federal government--that is, for as long as the country lasted.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 177
New ID voter law?
Posted: 3/29/2012 12:47:28 PM

then you have proven my point.

You made a point?

President Obama has done all he can to see that our immigration laws are not enforced.

Yep...he hasn't spent billions of taxpayer dollars to build a 190 mile fence between Mexico's and the United States 1500+mile border.

The radicals who control the Democratic Party have another natural constituency--ex-felons.

I looked...and it seems it's actually more red states that allow felons to vote then blue states...gads, these little facts are so easy to prove...or in this case disprove....here's the link;

http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=286
 raxarsr
Msg: 178
view profile
History
New ID voter law?
Posted: 3/29/2012 1:06:06 PM
so far.........nobody has answered this simple question:...whats wrong with requireing a valid id to vote?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 179
New ID voter law?
Posted: 3/29/2012 2:39:06 PM

President Obama has done all he can to see that our immigration laws are not enforced. He knows that even if only a small fraction of the millions of illegal aliens managed to vote, almost every one of them would vote Democratic.

Really do you have some facts to back that up with?

Because under Obama more illegals have been deported then under Bush, but from what I have seen you seem to not let facts get in the way of your opinion of Obama.

*Deportation of illegal immigrants increases under Obama administration
By Peter Slevin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, July 26, 2010

In a bid to remake the enforcement of federal immigration laws, the Obama administration is deporting record numbers of illegal immigrants and auditing hundreds of businesses that blithely hire undocumented workers.

The Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency expects to deport about 400,000 people this fiscal year, nearly 10 percent above the Bush administration's 2008 total and 25 percent more than were deported in 2007. The pace of company audits has roughly quadrupled since President George W. Bush's final year in office....

more at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/25/AR2010072501790.html
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 180
New ID voter law?
Posted: 3/29/2012 2:47:17 PM

President Obama has done all he can to see that our immigration laws are not enforced.

Chuckle

In a bid to remake the enforcement of federal immigration laws, the Obama administration is deporting record numbers of illegal immigrants and auditing hundreds of businesses that blithely hire undocumented workers.

The Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency expects to deport about 400,000 people this fiscal year, nearly 10 percent above the Bush administration's 2008 total and 25 percent more than were deported in 2007. The pace of company audits has roughly quadrupled since President George W. Bush's final year in office....

LOL...let's not forget:

The radicals who control the Democratic Party have another natural constituency--ex-felons

Fully Complete Sentence

The most common type of law regarding felon voting exists in 20 states. Under this version of the law, a felon automatically obtains a restoration of voting rights when his or her entire sentence is completed. This means the convicted felon is no longer incarcerated, or on parole, probation, or supervised release. These states are:

Alaska
Arkansas
Georgia
Idaho
Iowa
Kansas
Louisiana
Maryland
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
New Jersey
New Mexico
North Carolina
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Texas
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin

http://www.ehow.com/list_6500867_states-allow-convicted-felons-vote_.html
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 181
New ID voter law?
Posted: 3/29/2012 2:49:30 PM
^^

Because under Obama more illegals have been deported then under Bush, but from what I have seen you seem to not let facts get in the way of your opinion of Obama.

no doubt many of GWB's GOP supporters liked having access to a large pool of illegal aliens as a cheap labor source so they could pay them less than the minimum wage and not have to follow Labor Dept. /OSHA rules, etc. save some $$, maybe the only inconvenience being, they'd have to dispose of the body of a wetback who died on the job occasionally. particularly sought after as gardeners & domestic help but also in factories, sweatshops, etc.

so naturally they would oppose efforts to deport their good/cheap workers
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 182
New ID voter law?
Posted: 3/29/2012 5:25:13 PM
"so far.........nobody has answered this simple question:...whats wrong with requireing a valid id to vote?'

Yanno...I can see why you think that...you've posted in this thread...but understand not too much....Illegals....frauds....felons...commies under the bed...boogie men...all looking to vote...to delute your vote...to lessen the process....gads, I'd hate to be a republican, with my loaded gun just waiting to blow some poor innocent suckers head off...just because I wasn't really aware of what was going on.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 183
New ID voter law?
Posted: 3/29/2012 6:15:34 PM
and then you really feel like it is the other side that isn't aware of what is going on...........

Actually, you are right..... please keep feeling that way.

PK...I'd rather be dead than be amongst a bunch of gun totin fanatics who are waiting for armagedden and to git them some liberals...and somehow...I'm thinking those gun totin fanatics would like to git me too and are will to go about it in any way they can, but mostly by shooting someone...sad really....they'd group me along side all those old student minority illegals that shouldn't be votin'...and figure...if they can't stop em from votin' by changin the laws...then they'll take matters into their own hands....too bad innocent bystanders, just collateral damage-acceptable...have to get in the way....some say Gabby Giffords deserved what she got...and disregard the child that was killed too...

Thank gawd the crazies have gone GOP
 4408joseph
Msg: 184
view profile
History
New ID voter law?
Posted: 3/31/2012 9:34:55 AM
I am sooo F 'in amazed that in Maryland it's against the law to ask for photo ID..

My mother is an election judge.period..

However, it's against the law as an adult to NOT have a photo ID on you, and has been like that for years..

As an X-Felon I had requested and was granted my voter rights almost 15 years ago. However I will not be allowed to vote tuesday as it's a primary and I am registered as belong to the "REALIST" party..

Something I changed as it's all summed up when I read on a bumper sticker years ago..

Rep.......Dems.......SAME SHYTE...just ...DIFFERENT PILES
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 185
New ID voter law?
Posted: 4/1/2012 3:49:57 PM
To the ones that say voter fraud is not a problem or not wide spread....

A comprehensive study by the Milwaukee Police Department found a strong possibility existed that there was "an illegal organized attempt to influence the outcome" through voter fraud of the 2004 elections in Wisconsin. The Colorado Secretary of State’s office determined that nearly 5,000 people who were not United States citizens—and therefore according to the law, ineligible to vote—voted in the 2010 U.S. Senate race. And there are plenty of other examples in the modern era including one other recent U.S. Senate race and a gubernatorial election whose outcomes were determined as a direct result of voter fraud.

Voter fraud is not imaginary. It’s real and it threatens the franchise held by ever legitimate voter in the country and needs to be addressed if the electoral process is gong to continue to mean anything. Requiring voters to show a photo ID before they can vote just makes sense.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/peter-roff/2011/07/29/despite-what-democrats-claim-voter-fraud-is-real

Here is the link so you can read the whole thing.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 186
New ID voter law?
Posted: 4/1/2012 3:58:41 PM
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/peter-roff/2011/07/29/despite-what-democrats-claim-voter-fraud-is-real

Here is the link so you can read the whole thing.

Poster fraud....the link goes to a US News page that says the article cannot be found.

Edit to include:

Too funny...the new link works...
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 187
New ID voter law?
Posted: 4/1/2012 4:16:44 PM

Poster fraud....the link goes to a US News page that says the article cannot be found.

Funny it works fine when I paste it into my browser.

Here it is again.

BigBadNIrish
Msg: 188
New ID voter law?
Posted: 4/1/2012 4:34:42 PM
LOL....I wonder???of all those illegal voters...how many were prosecuted????Oh I know the answer...it was exactly none.

A comprehensive study by the Milwaukee Police Department found a strong possibility existed that there was "an illegal organized attempt to influence the outcome" through voter fraud of the 2004 elections in Wisconsin. The Colorado Secretary of State’s office determined that nearly 5,000 people who were not United States citizens—and therefore according to the law, ineligible to vote—voted in the 2010 U.S. Senate race. And there are plenty of other examples in the modern era including one other recent U.S. Senate race and a gubernatorial election whose outcomes were determined as a direct result of voter fraud.

It gets even more breathless at NewsMax.com. Gessler's testimony before this House committee last week is quickly making its way through the right-wing telephone game. Before it's done, there will probably be Mexican street gangs patrolling west Denver polling places, and of course these illegal noncitizen voters must be the reason Ken Buck lost the Senate race--right?

Of course, if you've been following this story, or paid the slightest attention to the 2010 Senate race, you already know this is a load of hooey--not to mention there are huge problems with Gessler's "study" of Colorado voter rolls. Perhaps the biggest? According to federal government records on naturalization we were pointed to, over 32,000 people became United States citizens in Colorado between 2006 and 2009. That's over 3 times Gessler's highest estimate of any problem, and certainly enough to account for 5,000 people who may have voted in 2010.

Speaking of which, how is it that we're talking about so many different numbers? Is it the 11,000 you should be afraid of, or 5,000? Or is it the 106 Gessler says he's "sure about?" The correct figure, if any, determines the extent of the problem, degree of appropriate paranoia, etc. Reporter Kurtis Lee of the Denver paper did a better job earlier of explaining that the 11,000 in question are based on records dating back to 2006, and that they "could possibly have become citizens later"--as (though Lee didn't report this part) some 32,000 did between 2006 and 2009.

For a side of this hearing that hasn't been reported adequately, check out the video above of questioning by Rep. Charles Gonzalez (D-TX)--very effectively tearing into Gessler's methods, lack of cooperation with county clerks, and above all the vague, unsupported claims. A cutting statement from Gonzales, including GOP Mesa County Clerk Sheila Reiner's skeptical response to Gessler's surprise disclosure of this "study" follows--though we're sorry to say the Newsmax.com version of the story seems to be getting more play as of this writing.

http://www.coloradopols.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=15460
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 189
New ID voter law?
Posted: 4/1/2012 4:41:03 PM

To the ones that say voter fraud is not a problem or not wide spread....

Jeepers it seems as though those reports you cited...well, that report made it in front of the House Administration and was picked apart bit by bit and was totally discredited:

Colorado Voter Registration Study Questioned during House Administration Committee Hearing on a look back at what went right and wrong with the 2010 Election
Washington, DC (April 1, 2011): During a hearing convened by the Committee on House Administration yesterday, a report issued by the Office of Colorado Secretary of State Scott Gessler was the subject of tremendous scrutiny. The report, prepared with official state resources, makes unfounded allegations of non-citizens registering to vote and participating in the 2010 Election in Colorado. In a statement issued today, Rep. Charles Gonzalez, D-TX, questioned Mr. Gessler's judgment in preparing and releasing such a flawed report:

"No attorney would go before a judge with a report in which the main claims are preceded by such terms as 'inconclusive', 'incomplete', and 'impossible to provide a precise number'. I was surprised to see Sec. Gessler base claims about who may have voted in November 2010 on immigration status reports from five years ago," said Rep. Gonzalez. "Ensuring the integrity of our elections is far too important a matter to base decisions on a study that mischaracterizes empirical data, neglects even the most obvious analysis of that data, and hides these failings behind terms like 'tentative' and 'preliminary.' The people of Colorado and the United States House of Representatives deserve better."

Rep. Gonzalez also questioned the lack of cooperation and information sharing between Secretary Gessler's office and local election officials in Colorado. He pointed to a press release issued by Mesa County Colorado Clerk and Recorder Sheila Reiner outlining her unsuccessful attempts to secure cooperation from Secretary Gessler's office in vitiating his claims.

(Excerpted from Reiner Release - full version).

"It seems premature to make this kind of statement without having fully investigated the issue. It would take the involvement of County Clerks to review voter records and contact our voters to determine whether or not they have become citizens and are or are not properly registered," said Reiner. County Clerks are statutorily required to facilitate the voter registration and election process. I take pride in my office and our work. It troubles me that the Clerks were not consulted in this data comparison."

Despite his claims of wide-spread voter fraud, Secretary Gessler's report acknowledges that his "data are incomplete and this number does not prove" that non-citizens registered improperly, let alone that they voted before becoming citizens. The Gessler report, instead, merely compares the number of people who were non-citizens when they, legally, acquired drivers licenses, to the list of people who voted in 2010.

"At today's hearing, Minnesota Secretary of State Mark Ritchie and Citrus County (FL) Supervisor of Elections Susan Gill both laid out legitimate problems in our voter registration processes and ways to ensure that only those eligible to vote are registered," said Gonzalez. "It is counterproductive to expend our limited resources on an incomplete, misleading collation of data when we could be analyzing the real problems we're facing."

http://www.coloradopols.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=15460
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 190
New ID voter law?
Posted: 4/2/2012 4:07:42 PM
So now it has been established that a ID costs much less than a penny a day and the average wait time to get said ID is one hour at a government office.

And that most any common activity requires them anyway......Someone please tell me why it is so wrong to require them to verify a voter is actually whom they say they are?

I have posted several accounts that show voter fraud that could have been avoided if a ID had been mandatory.

I even posted where some democrats said voter IDs were needed to keep the elections fair!

Even if voter fraud is not wide spread why wouldn't we want to enact such a simple act to assure it is even less prevalent?

Because even if it is not wide spread it is happening and when it does it corrupts our government even more than it already is!
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 191
New ID voter law?
Posted: 4/3/2012 4:17:32 PM
^ not consistent with the constitution, sorry -basing vote on income source or amount?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 192
New ID voter law?
Posted: 4/3/2012 6:46:05 PM

That's what happens when you let the dregs of society participate in elections.

I assume that by the dregs of society you are talking about poeple that judge others based on thier icome or status.

So I agree those douche bags should not be able to vote.
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 193
New ID voter law?
Posted: 4/4/2012 4:41:07 PM

That's what happens when you let the dregs of society participate in elections.

referring to racist haters such as yourself? who think that George Zimmerman scored a good one and should have tried to 'bag his limit' that day in Feb. in FL ?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 194
New ID voter law?
Posted: 5/16/2012 7:57:37 AM

New ID voter law?

Translated means:

Now if you want to vote you will need ID.

Though If you want to buy an election no ID is needed.

Yep that sounds fair.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 195
view profile
History
New ID voter law?
Posted: 5/16/2012 9:51:15 AM
Showing ID for other transactions...

Voting is a Constitutional right. If a state wishes to conduct an election in which it requires ID then the state should have to provide all citizens with that voter ID free of charge. Driving is a privilege, and if a state wishes to regulate and restict it, then that is with in the state's right. However the state does not have the right to impeed my Constitutional right to vote.

We dont have poll taxes or literacy tests anymore.
 bluegreen14
Msg: 196
New ID voter law?
Posted: 5/16/2012 11:09:56 AM
The republican party will do whatever it can to make sure democrats don't vote. Voter ID that's not free, less early voting, too few voting precincts in urban areas, making it too restrictive and difficult to get citizenship etc. They have no interest in making sure the person who pulls the lever is who they say they are. They want to pass laws which in their minds will keep more democrats than republicans from voting.
 bluegreen14
Msg: 197
New ID voter law?
Posted: 5/16/2012 12:12:18 PM
Republicans feel they affect more democrats than republicans. They are not passing these laws to be fair. Requiring a non free ID to vote is a poll tax.
 matchlight
Msg: 198
view profile
History
New ID voter law?
Posted: 5/16/2012 12:17:08 PM

Driving is a privilege, and if a state wishes to regulate and restict it, then that is with in the state's right.

What's the difference, as you use the terms? There was no distinction between them at the time of the Constitution, for example, and it's the thing that guarantees those rights/privileges.

However the state does not have the right to impeed my Constitutional right to vote.

That is not accurate. The Supreme Court views voting as a fundamental right. As such, the court reviews Fourteenth Amendment equal protection and due process challenges to state voting laws under its "strict scrutiny" standard. That does *not* mean a state law that infringes the right to vote in some way cannot be valid.

Instead, it means the Court will invalidate the law unless the government can show the restriction it imposes is *necessary* to achieve a *compelling* state interest. States can also restrict other fundamental liberties, including the ones guaranteed by the First Amendment, if they can show that. So an unstable person can stand on the corner and rant that President Bush should be tried for war crimes, but the state can make it a crime for him to stand in the middle of the boulevard and rant it.

Private citizens can't interfere with a person's right to vote, either--with one big exception, courtesy of Mr. Barack Hussein Obama. If the citizen is black, he can stand right in front of the polling place on the day of a presidential election, holding a club and muttering menacing things at people as they go to vote, confident in the knowledge that our Justice Department will not prosecute him. Non-blacks who try this, on the other hand, may well end up spending some time in a federal penitentiary.

We dont have poll taxes or literacy tests anymore.

More's the pity.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 199
view profile
History
New ID voter law?
Posted: 5/16/2012 9:10:38 PM
From the OP -
Do you agree with the Republican party that this is done to prevent voter fraud, or is this a ruse to prevent voter turn out?

According to this story it was "a ruse to prevent voter turn out", and seems to have been successful.

NPR’s Monday morning story on voting in Florida brings into sharp focus the “moral equivalency” by which reporters become part of the problem they write about.
A problem with NPR’s coverage of laws restricting voting rights in Florida is that their reporter treated Republicans who passed and are implementing the voter-suppression laws as responsible elected officials, instead of partisan operatives working to suppress the minority vote in order game the next election—and others thereafter.

Why give the state’s Republican Party chair the last word?
“The point is, any level of individuals casting a vote that are not eligible to vote is unacceptable. You go back to the 2000 election. Florida was decided in less than 550 votes. You cannot have people that are not eligible to vote casting votes in our election. It completely undermines the integrity of the system.”

The quote is pure common sense. And pure bullshit.
Republican legislators (and a Republican governor) in Florida used the unsubstantiated threat of election fraud by “people who are not eligible to vote” as a pretext to disenfranchise tens of thousands of voters who are eligible to vote.

The New York Times story that NPR cites, in fact, reported that since Florida’s voter-suppression law took effect in May, 81,471 fewer Floridians have registered to vote than during the same period in the runup to the 2008 presidential election.

This subtle pressure on voters, with a focus on minority voters, is what the legislators intended.

As we reported in February, the Florida law targets vehicles that get minority voters to the polls: voting on the Sunday before the election; voter-registration drives; extended voting periods.
If you report it as if it were a policy disagreement, listeners (and readers) will come to believe that it is a policy disagreement.

Which it decidedly is not.
Again, of the 26 or 27 voter ID (and other restrictions) bills that have been passed into law since 2006, all have been passed by Republican legislatures and signed into law by Republican governors—with one exception. Rhode Island’s Democratic legislature passed a voter ID bill that was signed into law by the state’s independent governor, Lincoln Chaffee.

What NPR failed to say is that what went down in Florida last year was the codification of the same Jim Crow laws that denied blacks the right vote even after a constitutional amendment reaffirmed voting as “a right” that could not be denied.
http://www.washingtonspectator.org/index.php/Blog/entry/npr-and-jim-crow.html
 Aries_328
Msg: 200
view profile
History
New ID voter law?
Posted: 5/16/2012 10:09:08 PM
The New York Times story that NPR cites, in fact, reported that since Florida’s voter-suppression law took effect in May, 81,471 fewer Floridians have registered to vote than during the same period in the runup to the 2008 presidential election.

That number can't be used on its own like this. It is misleading and potentially a fraudulent statement to claim that the requirement to show ID to register to vote caused a drop.

Making a claim that a crime is committed requires facts. Not make believe. You can show that 81 thousand fewer new registered voters this May compared to last May but what about April, March?

http://election.dos.state.fl.us/nvra/sources.asp

The drop in NEW registrations started way before this. Infact it would probably be easier to make a case that basically nearly everyone that is going to vote is already registered. Can you please show me the evidence that 81000 unregistered people living in the state were denied access to register to vote please.

Can it be shown through population growth?
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/12000.html

Nope... Unless you are trying to make a case that the 2010-2011 entire state population increase for the year of 256,232 somehow 81k of them failed to register in May last year and were expected to register in May of this year and they didn't because they were poor... whatever its fantasy.

You can not expect multiple percentage increases in new voter roles year after year. At some point you have to just accept that voter registration has reached a saturation point and the rate of new registrations will dramatically taper off. We have had 12 years of highly charged elections. Florida took a lot of election related focus. There doesn’t have to be a scary monster under the bed… unless it’s a liberal with a good deed.

And if you can show its actually likely true that 81 thousand poor people couldn't register in May then make a case of why that makes sense.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > New ID voter law? [CLOSED]