Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SpeedracerSmith
Msg: 34
What do you think Is the chance of actually meeting somebody on a dating site and making it work for life?????Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I read most of the posts, agree 100% with some, a little less with others.

Life long? We'd all love that, but as tlcme mentioned nowadays life long can be unrealistic. People are too quick to run, not so willing to work on any challenges that come up in a relationship. Yes, there are exceptions to every rule and many of us hope we are the exception. Life long from the internet? I don't see it for me, but it does happen...

Long distance? Been there, done that and won't do it again. It's one thing to be in a SOLID relationship and your partner is deployed with the military or on a long business trip. But if you are attempting to build a relationship and get to know each other, it's very difficult and could be expensive.

I don't take internet dating seriously any more either, it seems that there are way more games on line than in real life. I'm not good at games.

If I were 20 years younger, I may have a different attitude. It seems that looks and age have a LOT to do with a woman's success on line. I'm sure that there are challenges for men as well, but since I am not a man...can't say what..LOL

bottom line? You get out of it what you choose to get out of it.
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 35
view profile
History
What do you think Is the chance of actually meeting somebody on a dating site and making it work for life?????
Posted: 3/17/2012 9:23:27 AM
Having met the love of my life 12 years ago via online dating, and us still being madly in love, I'd say the odds are good! Long distance is harder, but we were 100 miles apart - which isn't too bad - and eventually I had to relocate to make it work.

All I can say, really, is "Follow your dream" and see where it leads. It may not work, but if you don't try then of course you'll never make it real.
 Smarts and Heart
Msg: 37
What do you think Is the chance of actually meeting somebody on a dating site and making it work for life?????
Posted: 3/17/2012 9:47:38 AM
It happened to me. I met my partner on POF 17 months ago, and we're still going strong! Things are good and getting better everyday!

I'm not the only one. My cousin met her husband on another site, married 2 years now and my sister's been with her partner going on to 3 years. So it isn't as rare as you may think. It depends on the person. They're the ones that encouraged me to join after my divorce.

There are many genuine people on here looking for a compatible person, and yes there are even more that play games. You have to know what you're looking for and be a good "picker ".

Don't delude yourself and don't believe everything and everything. Look for quality and let yourself look beyond physical perfection. Long term compatibility lies in the things that aren't quickly apparant.
 IronBelle
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/17/2012 9:54:00 AM
Hell, I am waiting just to make it past a cup of coffee. If just ONE person would match a photo and not have a Felony record or be a damn Psycho would be nice.

Long distance? No. Meet people where you live. Hard enough to get to know people locally, let alone out of the area. Sure some people meet and have good luck but it is rare. Very rare.
 Maleman999
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/17/2012 10:20:29 AM
Come back here in 50 years and see how many people who met on line have celebrated or will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary.
 SpringsDiver
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/17/2012 3:41:43 PM
^^^ Tom has made many good points.

If you have been with a person for a fair amount of time (such as 17 days), I think it might be possible to have a successful long-distance relationship for a short (6 months or so) period of time. I think it is difficult to build the trust and understanding to the point needed with someone you have not met, yet not impossible.

Sometimes I feel like I am just pixels on a screen. I long to feel like I am someone she couldn't dream of letting go, but most women (and many men) seem unwilling to invest themselves emotionally with someone they have not met. I understand this, even though I feel it is unfortunate. I understand that people can be so different in person than they seem to be online. So as i said, IF you can meet and spend some time together, it may be possible.

I am optimistic, and would be willing to give it a go for the right woman, or at least one that seems to be right. It would take very much to feel the connection to the extent necessary, and seems to be asking too much in most cases.

TerrieLynnC
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/17/2012 4:28:49 PM
Mainly it depends on the people involved.............

Long distance? They usually never last in the long run. Do a thread search here ...............

As for online dating...........I think nowadays there's just not a whole lot of people (yes, I said PEOPLE as in MEN and WOMEN) who are honest on their profiles. There ARE those of us that ARE honest, but the bad apples have made us all look bad. You have to learn how to weed out the bad apples.
 platypus_man
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2012 7:33:26 PM
I think the chances are roughly the same as in real life; here, you already know more about them, but have no clue as to whether there will be a spark of attraction between you when you actually meet. IRL, the spark is there, but you don't know anything else which might kill the attraction.
It's a toss up.
 soupcan00
Msg: 48
view profile
History
What do you think Is the chance of actually meeting somebody on a dating site and making it work for
Posted: 3/17/2012 7:39:24 PM
100%.... Or $100 / yr... Whichever comes 1st
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/17/2012 8:13:12 PM
I met my late husband through personal ads (pre-Internet dating). Later I had a 5-year LTR that was also an LDR for half of that time. It ended because we both relocated in opposite directions, and our new positions had us both working 6-7 days a week so we couldn't fly to see each other.

Anything is possible. That doesn't make it easier or harder to meet and have it "stick". It just depends on the motivation of both partners.
 kiwiinoz1
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/17/2012 9:38:11 PM
I refuse to give up, there has to be someone out there for all of us, but in saying that I would say be very careful if you do find someone you really like and get along with on here, its a bit different in real life, The only real relationship I have had on here, except for the friends I have met started off wonderfully and he swept me off my feet, just turns out he is a serial cheater, who is only after what money he can swindle out of unsuspecting woman and has done this to so many woman its disgusting But like I said I will not give up
 zookie57
Msg: 51
Posted: 3/18/2012 6:02:18 PM

Some married each other, some are not married but are committed and happy.
One even won't poop in front of her and thats LOVE baby.

And lets not even think he did not have had a poop blank grin either......

So yes, there are women who get respect whether he is sitting down or standing up........

& too fart would be out of the question.

Capn_America
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/19/2012 10:24:50 AM
You got a bigger chance getting hit by a meteorite while masturbating inside a pickup truck rolling at 88 miles per hour in the process of time travelling, while wearing a tutu and singning the Jolly Green Giant theme song than actually marrying for 50 years with someone from on here.
But then again....maybe I'm just being pessimistic LOL
 TreeinForrest
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/19/2012 5:25:18 PM
I've had success two times over the last 7 years. One four year relationship and one six month one.

This is my third run.... and I answered this thread because just today I did a real good search and screening of possibilities in my geographic area by age and was very disappointed.

So disappointed... started looking at other dating sites and the options on them!!!!

What I found was, quite a decline in membership! Could that be for the creeping costs and disappearing free features????? LOL
 Jayne0927
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2012 5:29:38 PM
Last for life? It's difficult to find someone who is honest, forthcoming and caring. I've been on this site for a while, and thus far, the men I've met all turned out to be "just not right". It's god damned depressing. Want to get off the site and meet someone another way.
 Railrunner
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2012 7:15:49 PM

You got a bigger chance getting hit by a meteorite while masturbating inside a pickup truck rolling at 88 miles per hour in the process of time travelling, while wearing a tutu and singning the Jolly Green Giant theme song than actually marrying for 50 years with someone from on here.

Or for those from Chicago area, about the same chance as the Cubs winning the World Series.

Very remote chance, but I suppose maybe there is a chance of it! Granted the odds are slightly worse than being struck by lightning twice and winning the lottery on the same day, but there are odds, which makes it at least kinda possible. Maybe.
 FrancoisVillon
Msg: 57
Posted: 3/23/2012 7:54:31 PM
You have the same chances as any one, or any where else.
The web is the new way to find some one.
Distance? Depand how y'all both feel about it, and if you can afford flying once a month.
 spartanx
Msg: 58
 pipedreams1111
Msg: 59
Posted: 3/23/2012 9:02:58 PM
I think it is possible if you want it bad enough. I was able to make a lamp disappear. I was looking at it and then I turned the other way and it was gone.
 JDinMN
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2012 7:52:05 AM

All statistics are hindsight. Until you take action, you don't have any chance of ANY percentage of success.

"Ringing the bell" Ding!!!

Absolutely perfect answer. In the immortal words of Nike. (ha) Just do it.
 Maleman999
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/24/2012 8:59:55 AM

TreeinForrest (Msg 57): I've had success two times over the last 7 years. One four year relationship and one six month one.

I guess it's a matter of perception. Both relationships ended and one lasted a few months. Is that the new perception of success? I guess if you're a Kardashian or Britney Spears (first marriage lasted a couple of days), it would be classified as a success. Why would you classify a relationship the ends as a success? A success story would be you are still with the person you were dating. A lot of women have in their profiles "I am looking for my prince/knight in shining armor to spend the rest to of my life with". I have never seen a profile that says "I want to be in a temporary successful relationship" unless they were just looking for an intimate encounter.
 Tallycutie
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2012 12:15:47 AM
well, if you get as far as every meeting someone from a dating site. I have been here for about 2 years and have chatted with many people, but that is all most of them want. Most of them only want to chatting sex.
I would just love to meet an honest guy who actually wants a relationship.
 GraciousIntention
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/25/2012 12:55:38 AM
The chances are very slim in my opinion. You should have fun with it and remove any expectations. Many people use this as it is called....a dating site, just to date, even if on their sprofile they are seeking long term...its just to date. Log on with an open mind, no expectations , and have fun.
 RedElectric
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/25/2012 10:45:28 AM
Maybe 3-4 years ago. Now, all the guys seem creepy, and the women are all jaded.

spartanx
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/25/2012 10:47:55 AM
THEY SHOULD CALL THIS SITE PLENTY OF UGLY, NOT MANY HOTTIES HERE
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >