Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dark_eyes_31
Msg: 68
What do you think Is the chance of actually meeting somebody on a dating site and making it work for life?????Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Going by the experience (or lack thereof) i've had on here, I'd say it's pretty much impossible.
 optimismfirst
Msg: 71
What do you think.........
Posted: 4/7/2012 9:35:38 PM
I had an 11 month relationship from this site.
but still, chances slim to none
 optimismfirst
Msg: 72
What do you think Is the chance of actually meeting somebody on a dating site and making it work for life?????
Posted: 4/7/2012 9:36:39 PM

You got a bigger chance getting hit by a meteorite while masturbating inside a pickup truck rolling at 88 miles per hour in the process of time travelling, while wearing a tutu and singning the Jolly Green Giant theme song than actually marrying for 50 years with someone from on here.
But then again....maybe I'm just being pessimistic LOL

Just a tad pessimistic ;)
 DragonBits
Msg: 73
What do you think Is the chance of actually meeting somebody on a dating site and making it work for life?????
Posted: 4/7/2012 10:11:00 PM
I know two different people who met online and got married. Don't know anyone personally from PoF, so I don't know the stats from here .

Long distance relationships IMO will work for a LTR as long as one is willing to eventually move to the others location.

Long distance I would want to meet for at least 2 months, meaning a total of 60 days, which would mean someone would need to spend a lot of time away from work. Even then you will find out that there are a lot of things you really don't know about the other person. Also depends on how old you are already.

Long distance without planning to move is IMO like a form of FWB. Nice if you like to travel to other places and have a date when you get there. You could have many FWB in different states or countries, it would be easy to maintain those sorts of relationships. It's not like they are going to stop in to see you unannounced. But that isn't what you are looking for.

No reason not to sign on to different sorts of dating sites or if you don't find someone within ~6 months, go to a different dating site.
 DragonBits
Msg: 74
Posted: 4/7/2012 11:01:52 PM
I do see many topics started by what apears to be a fake profile and never posts again.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2012 12:58:58 AM
... just wandering through to see how many of my old buddies are still hanging out in the forums and happy to see many familiar faces. Met my sweetie on POF about 5 years ago.
 NeighborNeighbor
Msg: 76
Posted: 4/8/2012 9:50:34 AM
Probably about the same chance of meeting somebody any other way.
 imacipher
Msg: 77
Posted: 4/8/2012 1:02:58 PM
I met my last fellow online, he was from Britain & I live in the States; lasted about 5 years. But, it was only when we lived together for 6 months that I came to the upsetting realization that I could not live with someone like him:} See, the problem with LDR is this, you cannot know if there's a viable & real possibility in the relationship until you've both-spent real time together-& 17 days/year, or webcam chats daily, ect-just won't tell you that...it is only for that reason that I would be very reluctant to have another "go" at it. Too bad, as I have found, European Gents to be more, "in tune", with me, as a women & a person, than American men. One day, I might do, "The Ex-Pat" thing, but before I sign-off; I will tell of a success story about a friend of a friend of mine. She[American] met an Fellow from Ireland, online. It turns out he was quite wealthy & they married about 2yrs ago; she is happily living in a renovated castle by the sea...
 varano
Msg: 80
Posted: 4/8/2012 2:49:40 PM
you can meet anybody anywhere that is the truth...
 licoricecat_1
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2012 4:06:21 AM
LDR are very difficult. There is enough juggling of everyday life without putting the distance between you. I have had a few long distance relationships and the strain is difficult. I try to get geographically close relationships. On line relationships are nice because you have the profile that tells you what someone's hobbies are, what they do, and what is important to them. It is a great way to screen out. Also you see what they look like It beats going to a bar and meeting someone there. All you could see is what they look like and on line tells you so much more. On line also gives you many people to choose from. Sometimes the "first coffee dates" could be intimidating because your partner sometimes puts the bar of approval so high.
 im_a_rockstar
Msg: 82
Posted: 4/9/2012 8:27:10 AM
About these sites working out, it's just like anywhere else.... you have to be at the right place at the right time. Most of us aren't attractive enough for the other person to want to message us back. Anything less than a model just isn't worth everyone's time.

It's up to sending that message at that right time, that it actually gets read and replied to.

Personally, I think randomly starting a conversation with the person in front of you in line at the store has a better chance of being successful. In person, people tend to not act as rude, and will actually listen to what you have to say, and you can actually quickly build something. When it's as impersonal as a website, sadly, either the other person wants to get you naked or they don't. HONEST exceptions to that are pretty rare.
 skiier4384
Msg: 83
Posted: 4/9/2012 8:50:44 PM
There are 7 men for every 1 woman on here. Statistically speaking, you probably have a 50% better likelihood of meeting someone offline than online here. In fact, you literally have a 25% better chance of finding "The One" playing World of Warcraft online than you do of successfully having a relationship with someone off of POF. I'm sure the Mods will delete this post because they don't want you seeing this.

So to sum up:

If you're a women: You can have your pick on here.
If you're a man: Very bad luck.
If you want to find "The One": Better chance playing World of Warcraft
 southernebella
Msg: 84
Posted: 4/10/2012 8:46:37 AM
The chances are very high ..... Trust me once someone logs in and makes a page on here they know exactly what they're looking for here in NYC there are many success stories from Craigslist and pof now we wouldn't know That it was for life because well they're not dead but they got to the goal for most women which is walking down the isle

I dated someone who at the time was in live with thus person with every bone in my body for 3 years I didn't got an engagement ring lol but no marriage happened in the end. But that's not the point I never would have met him if it wasn't online also long distance relationships can work will work do work but eventually someone has to relocate but people fail to realize is no matter were u meet them if you feel that spark and he feels it too the both if u will go through great lengths omfir each other 1/5 relationships start online what's this .001 stuff?
 southernebella
Msg: 85
Posted: 4/10/2012 8:48:56 AM
Message 87 that's horrible advice I don't like it when people ask a serious heart felt question and people give insensitive answers Or answers that are completely irrelevant
 e7E8pt
Msg: 86
Posted: 5/1/2012 6:18:01 PM
I met a really great guy on POF he is Hippie052 his real name is Dennis.He is the the best man I have ever met.When you have health problems and over 60.You really get to thinking who want me.Dennis loves and excepts me for me and we love each other very much.So I say never give up and just pray it really works.
 jlz1002
Msg: 87
Posted: 5/2/2012 6:43:16 AM
I just recentally started talking to someone on here he seems like a great guy but I get confused. One day he will talk to me for over four hours via text...then the next day its very less and not so much. We have been having a time about meeting he has 2 daughters and i have my daughter full time so its hard to find time for where we can meet up and hes also a firefighter i really enjoy talking to him he doesnt live that far from me. it's just hard to find that time to actually meet and we seem to have alot in common what do i do?

Jamie

plus meeting people on here is great i actually met a guy almost 3 years ago we just recentally broke up a couple months ago our relationship lasted about 3 years...
 e7E8pt
Msg: 88
Posted: 1/14/2013 5:04:30 PM
I met a man on this site he lives 56 miles from me.We have been together 16 months now.He is moving to where I live.He is not moving here just for me he has other reasons to.Our lives are so different we don't like the same things.I have let him have his own way I do love him,but it has gotten to the point where it is all about him.What he wants to do he likes going to bars and hanging with his friends.I am a home body .So far we have made it ok he has a lot of health problems.But no matter what I will stay with him till the end.So if you really want it to work yes it can.
 Proteaus
Msg: 89
Posted: 1/14/2013 5:59:24 PM
I would have to say the chance is slim .With a ratio of 25 guys for every women on a dating site , the women are having a fun time .In the meantime the nice guys that the women keep saying they want are getting gun shy.
 makavali7dayz3
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2013 6:52:47 PM
I met the most amazing women i ever met in my life on POF. :). It can happen. Just have fun with it.
 makavali7dayz3
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2013 6:57:15 PM
To the men saying there is 7 men for every one women. You need to stand out. I bet if you have a masters degree you will have a much better chance compared to a man with no degree at all. My ex loved my profile and that is the only reason she gave me a chance. She told me she had 7 pages worth of messages. She was super beautiful and intelligent. Timing and having a good profile means alot.
 nirvanawithu
Msg: 92
Posted: 1/15/2013 9:38:49 AM
Chances of contacting someone are great. Meeting them and having the right chemistry is slim. If you do have the chemistry, making a life together that's strong enough to endure the bumps in the road for the long haul is very difficult. Just look at the divorce rate. They all started out good, but it seems most people don't put the effort into making it last. It's pretty much impossible to quantify. But, the last woman I met here, was one in a million!
 Cheskat37
Msg: 93
Posted: 1/15/2013 12:13:10 PM
I got a hopeful prospect I sent a flirt too when I first joined.. He just wrote me back and we got at least four things in common...plus I think he might just get me and I think I might just get him. Wouldn't it be exciting if the physical part is also a match .. Best prospect yet! I hope he'll be attracted to me, looks are more important to a guy, then a girl.
 _WinterGoddess_
Msg: 94
Posted: 1/15/2013 12:24:11 PM
I think your chances are really good and I don't think it's much different than meeting someone in real life! If you meet someone you have amazing chemistry with and connect with on all levels then it could be a beautiful relationship regardless of how/where you met.
Many relationships& marriages fail today due to people not wanting to try and just giving up. I don't think where you met is a significant factor, but more so the people involved and if you want to put forth the effort to make it work long term.

Good luck!
 lowmiles2
Msg: 95
Posted: 1/17/2013 12:35:41 PM
what difference does it make where you meet someone? This is as good as a place then none.
 curviest
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2013 12:41:19 PM
Wow a resurrected old thread!

I met my ex on Aff and we were together 8 years.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >