Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 98
What do you think Is the chance of actually meeting somebody on a dating site and making it work for life?????Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I've come close enuff a few times
to think it doable.
:-)
 venusenvy777
Msg: 99
What do you think Is the chance of actually meeting somebody on a dating site and making it work for life?????
Posted: 1/17/2013 2:45:07 PM
There are NO guarantees in life...On anything. You just have to take your chances
 funny4uwannatry
Msg: 101
view profile
History
What do you think Is the chance of actually meeting somebody on a dating site and making it work for life?????
Posted: 1/17/2013 3:40:26 PM
I dont know if it could work for life, however I met my second husband on POF and we were together 4 years. I met another man on eharmony and it lasted over two years. So I know its possible to meet men who are capable of LTR,however both men lived near, they were not long distance romances, but hey I am back fishing again.. its the forever man I haven't found yet.
 funsort
Msg: 102
Posted: 1/17/2013 7:02:59 PM
To be honest I have 3 sets of friends that met on dating sites. One set has been married for 12 yrs, the other 7 (with 2 kids and 1 on the way) and the other 3. So dating sites can work. They are living proof but, just like with anything NOTHING is guaranteed in life.
I have had several long distance relationships. They are hard to maintain and both people have to put in alot of effort to make them work and have trust in each other. Guess the bottom line is if two people really want to be in a relationship they will make it work and a relationship it alot of work rather it is long distance or local.
 KrazyChikk
Msg: 104
Posted: 11/7/2013 5:23:19 AM
^^ Thank you for sharing....nice to read some positive stories in here, made me smile:)

It obviously happens, the above post attests to that. However, how often it happens is probably in the minority. Long distance is hard...brings a plethora of feelings you don't have with a close proximity relationship. You have to be totally committed and trust plays a huge role. And even with that, it's not an easy road.

I personally believe that true love conquers all.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 106
Posted: 11/8/2013 2:50:02 AM
^^^^Agreed! I know several people who have met their spouses from online dating sites, even from PoF. So, it can be done.
 IsabelleClaire
Msg: 107
Posted: 11/9/2013 3:56:06 PM
In my experience it's nothing but a bunch of pervs and tire kickers. So for me it does not work.
 cooldog65
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2013 5:16:27 AM

I'd have a better chance of being abducted by aliens or messin' with Sasquatch (Jack Link's commercial).
 daynadaze
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2013 12:05:09 PM
How you meet is rarely the reason it works out or doesn't work out. It really doesn't matter, does it, what's important is if builds into anything. You could meet just about anywhere. Why people make up all these silly cliches about meeting online as appose to meeting on the next corner boggles the mind, the point is...you met. What a dating site gives you is a wider selection of people to possibly meet, how anyone thinks it has any other powers is comical. You may be likely to meet more idiots online because the chances are vast, but you are just as likely to meet idiots at church, from family & friends introductions, social events, etc., they are always going to be out there, just that in your personal life you probably don't travel far enough to run into as many as you can in one day online. You are still the person who chooses, a dating site isn't changing any of that. So if you take the numbers down to what percentage is or isn't going to work out for you, meeting online or in some other way, it's all going to be about the same. It all centers on what you have to offer, what they have to offer, and if you should happen to come into contact with each other.
 cotter
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2013 10:57:43 AM
Does it count if you make friends with somebody ... for life?

Friends are important too.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 111
Posted: 11/11/2013 11:20:28 AM
"Friends are important too."
I have found a few LTR's online, but I find that it's better to develop friendships. Of course, I'm always hoping that it turns into more, but if not, so what?
 phoenix_55
Msg: 112
Posted: 11/11/2013 12:14:21 PM
a. slim to none;
b. not a snowball's chance in hell;
c. the odds of winning the lottery are better;
d. you have a better chance of being hit by a meteor;
e. all of the above.

These are, of course, just my opinions. But coming from a woman who's never had more than 2 dates with anyone I've met on line who never had a problem in real life, I'd say my observations are spot on. I personally don't know anyone who has had a lasting relationship that started on-line.
 statemachine500
Msg: 113
Posted: 11/11/2013 3:34:13 PM
My daughter met her husband right here,and he was a surprising catch.Gainfully employed with his own home and good looking as well.

An even better question.What are the chances of meeting somebody in the forums and making it work for life? :)
 cotter
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2013 4:04:05 PM

I personally don't know anyone who has had a lasting relationship that started on-line.
I know several here on POF who met and married and are quite happy.

Several of my extended family members are results of marriages that started on line. My nephew met his wonderful (and really smart) wife on line. She's Russian and worked as a speech therapist in Russia. Her credentials are no good here so she went to nursing school and is now an RN. They both worked together to put each other through school and start their family. He is now an attorney and they have two beautiful and smart children. She is now not only an RN but still works at the hospital as a translator as well.

My sister's brother-in-law met his current wife on line and they are quite happily married ... have been for over 15 years.

I met my roommate in Hawaii (he has even left me a testimonial) here on POF and the roommate in Arizona is also a friend from here on POF. They are very dear friends and will be my friends as long as we are alive.

I must admit, that I think the odds of getting it "right" from an on line venue really decreases as age increases. I think part of the problem is that many of us just become very set in our ways. I know I have certain expectations and admit that there are things that I find intolerable ... and I will not settle.

For example: I've encountered men who are so set in their ways and so inflexible that they can barely tolerate breaking their ritualistic habits in order to even schedule a date. Some men I've encountered have their entire day / week / month so planned out that they can barely find time to have a cup of coffee with a woman in order to determine if she might be special enough to work into their schedules for a date.

At my age, most perspective partners are generally already retired. Many complain bitterly that they can't find a woman who is financially independent enough to just stop working and travel with them. I want monogamy and a committed relationship, but I've discovered that most men my age are not interested in marriage ... or any kind of a binding or committed, monogamous relationship. Maybe they don't get it that many of us are simply not interested in exchanging body juices with someone who is randomly sleeping around.

Unfortunately, since I worked in a clinic, I discovered that many of the men my age who have Herpes do not feel any obligation to tell their partners about their condition before having intimate relations with them. I've never had an STD and don't intend to start with it now. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that there are women out there behaving just as badly.

An even better question.What are the chances of meeting somebody in the forums and making it work for life? :)
I know couples who met in the forums ... those are the ones I know from here on POF. They met on line while posting and some met in the party threads prior to the parties and then hooked up in person.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >