Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mrcs84
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Plain Janes Better Than The Pretty Ones?Page 2 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
You know, I remember when going through boot camp, and looking at the women, after a while, you start finding certain girls to be hot. Then when our division had to perform for graduations and we saw the girlfriends/wives of sailors all dolled up, we immediately distinguished between boot camp hot and civilian hot. Then I finally came to my senses are realize that there's "civilian hot" and then there's what women actually look like. Women in boot camp aren't allowed to wear make-up until about the last week. It seems like natural beauty in women is -actually- pretty rare. Anymore, when I go to like a night club or just some public gathering, and I see some of these women looking all Jersey Shore, I just want to take a wet rag to one side of their faces.
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 28
Plain Janes Better Than The Pretty Ones?
Posted: 3/18/2012 5:25:06 AM
^^^ LOL.

OP I was never personally attracted to the typical or self-described "very handsome men" because for the most part their vanity more or less obliterates anything I might have otherwise liked about their predictably insufferable personalities. Yes, I *have* met people like that enough times that I get what you're saying. That's why the distinction between just "good looking" and genuinely "attractive" has always been very clear in my mind.

HOWEVER, in the end I sorta like to suspend judgment about people unless & until they give me an actual reason to move on. Because there's enough exceptions to make it worthwhile, to take the time to get to know somebody first, if I have the opportunity to do that. And if I don't have that chance? Then my opinion about whether anyone is "better" than somebody else just based on how they look is a summary judgment that doesn't really matter anyway.
 aussieblues
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2012 5:35:37 AM
Is it gentleman like to label women as "plain janes?" What a superficial way to look at other human beings. Perhaps you mistake conceit for confidence?
 UniquelyPassionateCandy
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/18/2012 7:20:10 AM
The personality doesn't always match the cover.....So what you see, may not be what you get. I am definitely not what would be considered a 'barbie' type, but I know I am not plain jane either. I have a good personality, and I know I am pretty. But, what one guy thinks is pretty...Another guy may not agree.

So, to answer the question...Plain janes better then the pretty ones? There is no definite answer. Or it's a trick question...
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/18/2012 7:27:44 AM
damned if you do, damned if you don't...no one should be judged 100% on their appearance...
 laskoboo
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2012 7:28:18 AM

Do any of you other gentlemen find Plain Janes better than the Pretty ones?

Smoking hot JOE isn;t for me... mostly because I never met one who was balanced in all other ways. SMOKING HOT JOE might be good if all you want is a superficial thing.
Not like my ego is so weak I have to have a man throphy in my life.. lol

personailty and other non physical things can make a 7 or 8 a 10 plus.
 cooldog65
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2012 8:05:49 AM
Kind of reminds me of the Mary Ann vs. Ginger debate.
 10YearsFan
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/18/2012 9:18:32 AM
personality wins over looks any day.
 A_Gent
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/18/2012 9:20:29 AM
Hey! There was nothing plain about Mary Ann.

http://dummidumbwit.wordpress.com/2011/01/08/mary-ann-of-gilligans-island/

Quite pretty.

Now Laverne????

http://www.prwatch.org/files/images/laverne-and-shirley.jpg
 search1965
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/18/2012 9:39:34 AM
I know some very attractive women who also have wonderful personalities. Same with plain janes. Unless person has had to deal with some deformity or something, I don't think looks have that much to do with personality.
 colt8301
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/18/2012 9:44:42 AM

Do any of you other gentlemen find Plain Janes better than the Pretty ones? From my experience, the Pretty ones are very conceited even when they are friendly, whereas the Plain Janes have better personalities and are down-to-Earth. Do any of you other gentlemen find that to be the case?

can't really say who's better, known some pretty girls who were cool, known some janes that were nasty...Depends on the individual.
 CulturedBlackMan
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/18/2012 9:56:21 AM
Not sure if I would ever term someone a Plain Jane...everyone has their appeal...because I may not see it doesnt mean the appeal isnt there.

I have never dated or been involved with someone I could ever see as unappealing estetically(sp). Im a pretty rounded person and at times its been difficult to meet someone thats attractive (to me), has a beautiful spirit that shines through in her personality and despite what they say is really comfortable in cowboy boots and riding horses and little black dresses and fine dining.

Those deemed as beautiful by a social standard dont always appeal to me, (I like the curvy, rubinesque ladies) so plain jane is too ambiguous....dont we all like what we like and to attempt to explain it takes away from the definition of what is appealing.

(sorry I was trying to finish this post while talking on the phone, so it lacks consistency)
 CulturedBlackMan
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/18/2012 10:01:28 AM
damned if you do, damned if you don't...no one should be judged 100% on their appearance...

Reminds me of the unspoken adage:

Fine (beautiful) trumps crazy...(most men will put up with a little b*tchy if she's beautiful....the more beautiful the more men tolerate.

Its almost psychological in most people associate beautiful people as good people....

Very good friend of mine once told me I tolerate more, put up with more crap and accept poor attitudes if I find the woman exceptionally attractive.....maybe I do....lol
 OneGodfather
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/18/2012 10:05:15 AM
I can find pretty ones with amazing attitudes and I can find plain janes with amazing attitudes and shitty attitudes, depends on the person.

But do you ever notice that you might encounter a exceptionally beautiful woman ( physically) and you spend ten minutes with her and she suddenly appears not so attractive or you think oooh what a b1tch.

Also you can meet a plain Jane and spend some time with her and she blossoms into something beautiful.

Attitude has lot to do with it, I used to think Angeline Jolie was beautiful until she opened her mouth and some of the weird shit shes done over the years makes her not as appealing.

So if you're basing it on looks pretty ones beats the Plain Jane 9 times out of 10, but if you're the type that looks at the whole package well its a toss up.
 OyVay...
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/18/2012 10:21:03 AM
Plain janes? Hahahahaha!! Gawd this place cracks me up! Well since most of the women on this forum hate me already, I'll try and help you out!

This like that 1 to 10 garbage, ya know "she's a nine" or "she's smokin hawt, could be a 10".

Looks are subjective to the person viewing them. Though one might ask, "someday they will fade, are u gonna be happy then with who she is on the inside?" Someone not in your top 10, maybe a better match, yes, you have to be attracted. I'm sorry, you want megan fox, and you offer kevin james! hahahaha!! Wake up guys, some of these ladies not on the POF top 500, are still attractive, and since some of you guys need to sneak up on a glass(so it doesn't break) to get a drink, you may wanna rethink that plan!

I really am not all that affected by this, while there are generally exceptions to the rule, in my range, many start to show their age. Yes they can still be beautiful, but you know they are older.

The more attractive women on the forum are a great example though, some seem reasonable and thoughtful. Many though, have this air of authority like, "you don't like my opinion, who cares? I get my way anyway!" Even if you make a good point, they just make a joke, and act as though, you are just scrappings off their feet!

There is a fine line between confidence because of good looks and entitlement. I doubt most of these women, realize at all, when they cross it.

JMHO
 grove_22
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/18/2012 11:54:53 AM
I don't there is a direct correlation between looks and personality. Sure I met some physically attractive women can be arrogant or snobby. But I met other physically attractive women that were polite, respectful etc. Also there are some average or below average looking women that are bitter, jealous etc.
 amore01
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/18/2012 1:12:23 PM
what she said above.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/18/2012 1:50:35 PM
I prefer the plain Janes that work at being pretty Janes.
I don't know if that is shallow or not.
but there you have it.
 red_fir
Msg: 48
Posted: 3/19/2012 6:22:52 AM
Remarkable beauty and remarkable graciousness are rarely found in the same package.
But remarkable beauty and a voracious appetite for self are rarely separated.

Graciousness, ability, and courage, far outshine a lovely complexion.
The presence of these, make the grayest day bright.
Their absence makes the future dismal.
 jeep1127girl
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/19/2012 8:06:46 AM
thank you HKOangel

We are in fact intelligent ,
 browneyesboo
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/19/2012 9:15:44 AM
I guess that depends on who is doing the defining.

Seems like a pretty girl can change into a plain one
pretty quickly if she rejects you. A plain girl can
become really pretty if you fall for her.

I wonder if hot girls are better than pretty ones?
I'm pretty hot and I'm also wicked intelligent.

Capn_America
Msg: 51
Posted: 3/19/2012 10:18:03 AM

Do any of you other gentlemen find Plain Janes better than the Pretty ones? From my experience, the Pretty ones are very conceited even when they are friendly, whereas the Plain Janes have better personalities and are down-to-Earth. Do any of you other gentlemen find that to be the case?

What the hell? Plain janes, pretty janes? Who the hell refers to women as janes, except when filing a police report? Americans are weird.....
Anyways, anyone can be nice, anyone can be a biatch, depends on numerous factors, upbringning, etc etc. A pretty lady MIGHT be conceited and more haughty because she has good looks, its possible. But its not necessarily linked either. And since beauty is in the eye of the beholder...who's to say someone is plain looking, versus good looking? I find TONS of women good looking, which I'm sure other guys would disagree on. And probably vice versa as well.
So, I'll go after a girl I'm interested in, period. She answers back, cool. She doesnt, well, she doesnt. End of story.

Thanks for your wisdom, Surak. Although I WOULD question your sense of logic; an abstract concept such as beauty is irrelevant and illogical
 Worbug
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2012 2:21:24 PM
"thank you HKOangel

We are in fact intelligent ,"

Yet another example of the Narcissism!

I always get a kick when a thread is talking about beauty and some women sound of like the thread is about them. Calling themself the beautiful one. Pleeeeeease!
 abelian
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/19/2012 2:22:18 PM
Do any of you other gentlemen find that to be the case?

No and why would you think being attractive implies a bad personality? Even if it were true, I think I could deal with the conceit. I'm shallow, but since I'm a guy, I'm sure that's expected.
 bronzcoco
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/19/2012 7:02:59 PM
Regarding handsome men vs. plain men (for the sake of this thread, I will differentiate between the two types. Personally, I find beauty in every man and woman), I have met some very handsome men who really are very nice and I have also met some plain men who are equally as nice. And obviously, the same goes for women. There are some plain Janes who are very nice and there are some beautiful women who are equally as nice. Remember, there is good and bad in everyone. They don't need to be one thing or another; they just have to be.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >