Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jerilyn
Msg: 55
Plain Janes Better Than The Pretty Ones?Page 3 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
""Some of the meanest, bwitchiest, most insecure, jealous, hostile women I've ever met have been "plain Janes". "Nice guys" aren't much better.""

TKO38
Msg: 56
Plain Janes Better Than The Pretty Ones?
Posted: 3/19/2012 7:29:53 PM
Really cant have a good answer to this. Your idea of a 'pretty one' or 'plain jane' is going to be completely different than someone elses. I think looks are affected big time by attitude.
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 57
Posted: 3/19/2012 7:57:49 PM
Better at what?
 Meems919
Msg: 58
Posted: 3/19/2012 7:59:59 PM
ChancesRMD nail, meet head
 HotMami1
Msg: 59
Posted: 3/19/2012 8:25:16 PM
Depends on the guys taste in women, to each his own.
 mistersomeoneelse
Msg: 60
Posted: 3/19/2012 8:57:00 PM

Depends on the guys taste in women, to each his own.

Precisely! Personally, I don't go for what's traditionally accepted as 'pretty'. Most of the time, I find that sort of thing fake, and I'd much rather see the same girl without a bunch of makeup on, just to get an idea of what she really looks like.
I like to look for beauty in the places others don't look. I'm not sure I can explain it better than that, but those of you who understand will know what I mean.
 tampasmiles
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/19/2012 9:06:30 PM
Whether pretty or not..they get dumped just as hard...humiliated and publicly lied to
 JoseMadre
Msg: 62
Posted: 3/20/2012 11:33:30 AM
No. Almost all women are beautiful. I'm talking about internally. The trick is getting past the superficial. Conceit, in my experience, is usually a cover for insecurity.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/20/2012 1:28:22 PM
How can anyone's personality be defined by what thier face looks like?

Ive not seen so many stereotypes in one thread in a long time. Pretty sad actually. Guess we as humans just never learn the real lessons in life until it is too late.
 infennario
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/20/2012 1:48:39 PM

Do any of you … find Plain Janes better than the Pretty ones?

Yes. 100% true.

What the hell? Plain janes, pretty janes? Who the hell refers to women as janes, except when filing a police report? Americans are weird.....

Also true.
 OutMind
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/20/2012 1:58:57 PM
Even the hottest women, at some point, after a run, or waking up with a hang over, will look like a Plain Jane. Even the Plainest of Jane, with a little attitude adjustment, positive thinking and a little Max Factor and a good Stylist can look very hot.

So that does not define which one is better or worse. Grant you, an attractive woman will be with you because she likes you and wants to be with you, not because you're the only thing she could get, or the Catch. So if you are so insecure that you can't deal with the fact that she will be approach a lot, then she is not for you. There are women that are so full of themselves and are super hot. But you can't then label all attractive women that way. There are some plain women that have issues, are insecure, are disloyal, and still you cannot label women this way, either.

The only are where you need to do a reality check is, if you are active, date active women, more than likely you will continue to find active women, thus realize that women like that are not going to be interested in couch potato guys.
 Jamesat40something
Msg: 68
Posted: 3/20/2012 2:11:39 PM

femaleconnection
How can anyone's personality be defined by what thier face looks like?

Ive not seen so many stereotypes in one thread in a long time. Pretty sad actually. Guess we as humans just never learn the real lessons in life until it is too late.

as the above poster mentioned,,,although not a absolute indicator of your personality....it is certainly clear that a great deal of your personality can be shown by just your facial expressions alone......

1.the puss....you know the ones...all day long...sour puss,,no matter what is going on,,,sour puss,,they cannot even get it together long enough to have a picture taken for a dating sight with a smile,,,,now,,i think it is logical to assume that based just on that persons face alone,,they are a miserable human being and is that such a stretch?

2. the smiler.....you know the one,,in every picture they have the same jokerish smile,,,no matter what is going on,,,,the smile never changes,,it is almost creepy and certainly tells us alot about the personality behind it,,these people are the opposites of the first ones i mentioned,,,always happy (legitimate or not) always smiling,,,,,,,you will recognize them later in life by the stretch marks and creases around their eyes and mouths,,,no really,,,,i see them,,older women who it is obvious they have been smiling their way thru life and it shows!

so,,in summation,,you can indeed tell alot about people just based on face alone,,,,the saying,,,,you can't judge a book by it's cover.....while mostly true,,

if the cover is a picture of a guy slitting the throat of a pretty young lady,,,you can probably assume it is not a children's book,,,ya think?
 OneGodfather
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/20/2012 2:16:11 PM

With respect, that is quite a naive attitude. Obviously your face can't dictate your personality directly...but your face very much dictates your path through life, your opportunities, experiences, how people treat you etc...and those interactions all go to define your personality. Better looking people *do* tend to have more negative personality traits as they have a combination of not having to try, and being more jaded in general. Sorry if that sounds Neanderthal, sexist...whatever you want to label it, but it's true.
I would love for you to show me some numbers regarding that statement, because I dont agree with that, that is a example of stereo typing , I know extremely attractive women and some of them are the kindest and down to earth individuals you will ever meet, I know average looking women are mean and have a negative attitude some of them so negative you could stick them in a dark room and develop pictures the old fashioned way.

Now Im not speaking for Female Connection but she wasnt talking about muddling through life , she stated how can one personality be defined by there looks? now part of what you say is true, Attractive people can have a easier path when comes certain things and experiences yes, but you can find many average looking people who are very successful, sure looks may get you in but if you dont have the personality to go with it you might as well pack it in.

Go to Hollywood/Los Angelos lots of attractive people there that cant break into the acting field, attractive people there are a dime a dozen.
 qualityl
Msg: 71
Posted: 3/20/2012 2:30:02 PM
Some people think they know it all. Never positive. Lots of pretty woman are positive! It's just the package god gives you! Maybe the person you are around is negative. I like positive men only!
 OneGodfather
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/20/2012 2:30:22 PM

"Stereo type" isn't a dirty word, you know. Some stereo types are true.
Well that's another argument for another day, I believe most stereo types based on generalizations(aren't they all) and negative impressions , this is why I dont care for them personally.
 deere rancher
Msg: 73
Posted: 3/20/2012 2:34:34 PM
IT is difficult to find an attractive educated and successful woman , who doesn't have that ..".I'm all that" attitude , ...
I will admit to some satisfaction ,when a stud muffin , that they felt entitled to .. breaks their heart !

There are good and bad hearts ,.. regardless of how they look .. .
....just have to sort thru them
 abelian
Msg: 74
Posted: 3/20/2012 2:41:49 PM

IT is difficult to find an attractive educated and successful woman , who doesn't have that ..".I'm all that" attitude , ...

When someone IS all that, I'd think she (he) has some basis for thinking that way when it comes to being selective.
 deere rancher
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/20/2012 2:47:43 PM
I'm not sure Abelian ,..... why would someone who was all that..
...need an inflated opinion of themself..... maybe in the dating world
But IRL it usually doesn't serve them well
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 76
Posted: 3/20/2012 2:56:08 PM

"Stereo type" isn't a dirty word, you know. Some stereo types are true.

"Stereotype"--one word.

Some stereotypes apply to SOME people who are so labelled, but that is a circular argument. Some people who are not stereotyped in a group share the same characteristics as those who are.

Take the stereotypical blonde airhead and the stereotypical smart brunette. While it is true that some blondes are airheads and some brunettes are smart, that's where the similarities to the stereotypes end. Some blondes are smart and some brunettes are stupid. In fact, most blondes are not true blondes: people with dark hair dye their hair blonde. If a brunette dyes her hair blonde, is she smart because she is secretly dark haired or is she an airhead because she dyes her hair? This creates a conundrum.

And this does not even put males in the equation because the stereotype is largely applied to females. Why would a blonde man be any smarter than a blonde woman?

Stereotypes NEVER apply to ALL members of a group. In fact, stereotypes associated with a segment of the population can be applied to all segments of a population. If a person meets a blonde airhead, he/she says, "Oh, yeah, it is true that blondes are airheads," but the entire population of blondes would have to be tested in order to prove this.

But back to the topic at hand. During my time on POF, I have found that quite a few men are unable to graciously take even a polite rejection. I have been called every name in the book for saying, "Thanks but no thanks." I know that some men consider me halfway attractive, and if we judged halfway attractive people by the reactions of these men, then halfway attractive women are stuck up, conceited, full of themselves, and a few other aspects--all because one might say, "Thanks, but I am not interested."

I am going to sound cruel, but like attracts like. Fit men and women want fit women and men. Ultra good-looking people want ultra good-looking people. Yes, it sounds as if I am stereotyping, but studies indicate that this is so.

http://www.viewzone.com/attractivenessx.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matching_hypothesis

The unattractive or halfway attractive person who approaches a truly good-looking person is likely to be turned down. This doesn't mean that the pretty woman is a ****y snob, but that she wants a handsome man. Smart people tend to gravitate toward each other, as well.

Of course, there are exceptions to this, but when we see people mismatched in looks, we will make comments about the situation!

I have been on both sides--the obese woman and the halfway attractive woman. Men treat good-looking women different from ugly women: this is not a one sided issue, so don't keep beating up women.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 77
Posted: 3/20/2012 3:05:45 PM

As we get older our character is more evident to see on our faces and we get the face we deserve as they say.

How do women get the faces they "deserve" as they age? If anything, character tends to ruin women's looks.

Not only does it not matter if there's absolutely nothing inside---it probably helps.
 ontario_woman
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2012 3:17:45 PM
How do women get the faces they "deserve" as they age? If anything, character tends to ruin women's looks.

Not only does it not matter if there's absolutely nothing inside---it probably helps.

I agree with you in that making facial expressions creates wrinkles. Women with easy lives tend to have fewer wrinkles when they get older.

On the other hand, I have seen older women with lined faces and lots of laugh lines that denote a life lived to the fullest. They have confronted and overcome life's challenges and faced life's tragedies and triumphs head on. They may not be attractive in the magazine cover way, but they exude a certain magnetism all of their own. You look at them and know that they have seen and done it all and are ready for more. If given a choice between an easy life with no wrinkles and a challenging life with a lined faced, I choose the latter.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 79
Posted: 3/20/2012 3:39:11 PM
Most of us are plain Janes until we learn to work with what we have and take care of ourselves.

People have that POW factor inside them or they don't.

They may not be attractive in the magazine cover way

Most on magazine covers aren't all that beautiful with out the glam up.
In between that are the laser peels, fillers, botox, crowns, 400 dollar hair cuts and 500 colors.
Tanning beds, personal trainers, the best clothes.

Look at princess Di before and after her marriage.
She was sort of plain-ish but pretty enough because she was young when she married Charles........... Then BOOM!! What a knock out.

A hottie just needs a bit of lipstick and a good hair cut/ blow dryer and that attitude.
A genuine knock out looks good wet after sleeping on her face in a lawn chair.

Like Eva Gardner Holy moly..You could not paint ugly on that woman.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 80
Posted: 3/20/2012 3:45:48 PM

As we get older our character is more evident to see on our faces and we get the face we deserve as they say.

As a teen, one of my friend's Mom told us that...she said if a girl was pretty but mean or stuck up, the sneer would stick on her face & she'd look bad when she got older. She said if a girl was nice & happy, as she got older, it would show in her face too...the expression in her eyes & the smile would still be there.

so almost 40 years later, I agree...I have FB & reconnected w/ former classmates....the nice girls seem happy & look pleasant, the ones who were mean look hard...the guys too...

A pleasant happy person w/ warm eyes & a smile is most attractive. Someone w/ dead eyes & a perpetual frown...YIKES!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >