Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Worbug
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Plain Janes Better Than The Pretty Ones?Page 4 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Mark me down for "Mary Ann"
 Unaccounted_For
Msg: 82
Plain Janes Better Than The Pretty Ones?
Posted: 3/20/2012 4:20:42 PM
I have learned to 'date' or 'go after' women in my league...per se. So, I shy away from the really attractive ones, and go after the ones that MIGHT be interested in me.
 lookintowardthefuture
Msg: 83
Posted: 3/20/2012 4:23:53 PM
you're a FREAKIN IDIOT!@!
 zookie57
Msg: 84
Posted: 3/20/2012 4:33:56 PM
Do any of you other gentlemen find Plain Janes better than the Pretty ones?

This might sound very neg to most here grasping for straws, whether u are very young or real old,but intel makes every one ,more pretty to me........
Bottom line, we all seek similar bunnies to be with......jmo to each their own....
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 85
Posted: 3/20/2012 4:42:14 PM
I agree with blondAngel.

Most friends I grew up with
aged differently with different dispositions.
The happy ones are still smiling and seem to look better doing so.
The mean ones are still frowning and look years older.
 red_fir
Msg: 87
Posted: 3/20/2012 8:14:41 PM

you're a FREAKIN IDIOT!@!

Shhhh I'm tryna keep it a secret!!!!!!
 INSTYLE9611
Msg: 88
Posted: 3/20/2012 9:06:49 PM
I Find Plain Janes and Pretty ones can be jerks
 SunshineAngel99
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2012 9:14:02 PM
"thank you HKOangel

We are in fact intelligent "

I know, unfortunately some people are stuck in some kind of time warp. Put me down for Ginger btw!
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 90
Posted: 3/20/2012 9:14:05 PM

If given a choice between an easy life with no wrinkles and a challenging life with a lined faced, I choose the latter.

You're only 36---that's easy for you to say now. Wait until you're 53 and your face is starting to resemble a topographic map. You might find yourself singing a different tune.
 friendlygirl63
Msg: 91
Posted: 3/20/2012 9:22:49 PM
I agree if we wish rest our life with peaceful
 jmark4
Msg: 92
Posted: 3/20/2012 9:23:27 PM
Everyone is different. Some pretty girls are nice; some are ho's. Some plain janes are great; some not.

ridiculous to think all are the same.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 93
Posted: 3/21/2012 7:08:33 AM

femaleconnection
How can anyone's personality be defined by what thier face looks like?

Ive not seen so many stereotypes in one thread in a long time. Pretty sad actually. Guess we as humans just never learn the real lessons in life until it is too late.

With respect, that is quite a naive attitude. Obviously your face can't dictate your personality directly...but your face very much dictates your path through life, your opportunities, experiences, how people treat you etc...and those interactions all go to define your personality. Better looking people *do* tend to have more negative personality traits as they have a combination of not having to try, and being more jaded in general. Sorry if that sounds Neanderthal, sexist...whatever you want to label it, but it's true.

Edit: Please note my liberal use of the word "tend" - no-one is saying all women are like this, all women are like that. Saying "not all women are like that" as a counter argument is simply avoiding the issue - no-one has said "all women" are like anything.

Complete hogwash.

And if you knew any of my experiences you would never call me naive. But I digress.

People just assume that if someone looks they way they secretly wish they themselves could look, that the good looking one simply has it easier. Sure...maybe more doors open for a good looking person, but once inside it is still on them to impress, to be able to stay. Many nice faces with dolt personalities get punted, it just takes longer is all.

I have had many life altering battles to fight, and I have won. On my own steam and merit. Just because someone notices I have healthy glossy hair and nice skin doesnt mean I dont have the mustard to accomplish all of my goals, on my own or that Im automatically stuck up.

Being considered attractive can also bring bad things your way, that doesnt show on a pretty face. If you are pretty you are slammed right off the hop for just being pretty. Every loon within a 5 mile radius will stare at you, some will try to follow you to see where you live, some will attack you for no reason. Yeah, being attractive can ONLY mean good experiences...right. I think it is far more naive to assume a pretty face can only bring about nice things. This world is not a nice place, so I dont understand this assumption AT ALL. In fact, if you are attractive, you attract more of everything, the good AND the bad.

So...if Im in line at the grocery store and the couple in front of me decides Im a hottie, and the person behind thinks Im rather plain...what exactly is my personality type? Im sooo confused now?!?!

What a joke.
 Meems919
Msg: 94
Posted: 3/21/2012 7:35:35 AM
I've read most of this thread. My experience is that looks never got me anything I wanted except a job, and that was because I was an actor. AFter that, looks got me exactly zero of what I've wanted in life. Note "what I wanted"....I HAVE had rudenesses and assumptions thrown at me just as everyone else has had at some point. If one cannot look inside, even in a discussion, one is doomed to a shallow existence which has little to no fulfillment.
 Capn_America
Msg: 95
Posted: 3/21/2012 7:38:56 AM
I usually get my way with showing my azz off.

Too bad I'm not gay, because by now I'd be rich
 Worbug
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2012 11:30:55 AM
Starting out on “Third Base” definitely makes it a lot easier to succeed. The thing is, a lot of the “Beautiful” people do not realize they are starting out on third base, they think they are starting where everyone else starts, and that is just not the case.

How many pretty girls are working at McDonalds or other menial jobs, very few. I am not saying this is restricted to women. There was a show I believe on CNBC or one like it, discussing people considered to have better physical attributes were considered for better positions, i.e Tall men seemed to take a preference, just as an example.

One thing I seen firsthand during my days in the Marine Corps was the constant leg up if a WM was considered good looking by her male counterpart. Constantly lightening her load yet giving them accolades for a job well done, when in reality they were not doing 100 percent of the work load normally expected of their position. Whenever at the General’s Building, nothing but very attractive WM’s (Women Marine) all over the place, not an average one around. I do not know how it is now, been retired for a while.

Is there an attitude with some, he11 yes, just be an average looking guy and open a door for a Pretty Lady, just as you would for any other person, and watch them walk by quickly, no eye contact, not a word, kind of a frown sometimes, when anyone else will say thank you.

As far as their woe is me attitude goes, I call Bull Sh1t. “Heavy on the Head Wears the Crown” The beautiful people do not mind all the perks and the Leg Up all the time, I am sure what few little disadvantages are more than acceptable, and most likely by their own demise.

And for the few in here that are saying their looks never got them nowhere or anything, I hate to break it to you, but you just might not be in that particular stratosphere of Beauty you think you are.

I fully understand inner beauty comes in all shapes in form, but that was not the question from the OP.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 98
Posted: 3/21/2012 11:47:21 AM

femaleconnection
Complete hogwash

I find it ironic that you called what I wrote "hogwash", when one of the things I said was that more attractive people tend to be more jaded and that has an effect on their personality. If you don't mind me saying...you seem quite jaded yourself, and you have explained how that attitude comes from your looks. Hogwash, or spot on? ;)

My argument wasn't that better looking people have it easy, my argument was that your looks dictate your experiences, which in turn affects your personality, and I stand by that.

Your mistake is ASSuming I was talking about myself as though I think I am attractive. You see...I dont go around thinking of myself as 'hot' or pretty. Just because some people do view me this way, does not mean I have bought into it and if you actually review my posting history, you would see that with your own eyes. I do however have plenty of gorgeous friends and I see everyday what they go through. Not one segment of any population has it all that much easier than another. Each attribute brings its own set of challenges. I guess it just looks like life would be/should be all rosey to be considered attractive to someone who has always craved to be viewed this way.

Looks do NOT dictate experiences.
 Meems919
Msg: 100
Posted: 3/21/2012 12:18:56 PM
Kentish-Man.......:) I know my life and my life experiences, and NO ONE ever gave me anything I WANTED because of my looks.
 Buckets_of_Sky
Msg: 101
Posted: 3/21/2012 12:48:22 PM
I got a free Mc Donalds fried apple pie once because someone thought I was cute; so you see beauty does have its advantages.

* Man I miss those days now.
 damassteel
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2012 12:49:50 PM
Great topic. I personally have not found that there were that many differences between very attractive women and the so called"very attractive" types. What I can say is the following based only on one instance of my dating a woman who was not what one would describe as classically beautiful. I found her to be very insecure about her appearance around women who were considered very attractive. I dated her because she was personable, VERY intelligent and sexy. She was far from the prettiest woman I have dated, but that did not matter to me; I liked her as she was. That having been said, she complained that I never told her how beautiful she was and she became very upset anytime I paid any attention at all to " more attractive women", even to just chat or say hi.
In the long term it did not work out...it was just to much work to constantly apply salve to her ego... so I went back to dating women I could honestly say I felt were pretty, along with all the other great traits they possessed.
 Meems919
Msg: 103
Posted: 3/21/2012 12:52:36 PM
"And for the few in here that are saying their looks never got them nowhere or anything, I hate to break it to you, but you just might not be in that particular stratosphere of Beauty you think you are."-----you're making an assumption, if you're speaking of my post....I refer to the things which are reliant on a lack of what the world judges to be beautiful....it's all in the eye of the beholder, isn't it?
 Jamesat40something
Msg: 104
Posted: 3/21/2012 1:30:23 PM

.it's all in the eye of the beholder, isn't it?

no,,,it isn't........Television and Hollywood and magazines and advertisers and just about any way human being communicate with each other have always presented to us what is considered beautiful or not......

sure,,there are variables and for you personally,,you may see it differently,,,but there is a

stereotype! omg! not that word! i hate that! it means I'm not as special as mommy and daddy told me i was!!!!! how dare you lump me in! I'm special!

i digress.......so,,,,,there is a model of what is considered beauty that is pretty much the excepted norm,,,we all know it...

for men,,tall dark and handsome
for women..tall blond and high cheeks bones...

it changes and varies according to many factors,,,but if you are the standard model as i just described,,then you are what society considers "beautiful"

now,,,,i just read this on wiki and am going to cut and paste for those who seem at a loss to understand some of the effects of beauty on your life in general,,they seem to say it so much better than i could so,,,,,read on..

this is under "beauty" on Wikipedia

"Effects on society

Beauty presents a standard of comparison, and it can cause resentment and dissatisfaction when not achieved. People who do not fit the "beauty ideal" may be ostracized within their communities. The television sitcom Ugly Betty portrays the life of a girl faced with hardships due to society's unwelcoming attitudes toward those they deem unattractive. However, a person may also be targeted for harassment because of their beauty. In Malèna, a strikingly beautiful Italian woman is forced into poverty by the women of the community who refuse to give her work for fear that she may "woo" their husbands. The documentary Beauty in the Eyes of the Beheld explores both the societal blessings and curses of female beauty through interviews of women considered beautiful.

Researchers have found that good looking students get higher grades from their teachers than students with an ordinary appearance. Furthermore, attractive patients receive more personalized care from their doctors. Studies have even shown that handsome criminals receive lighter sentences than less attractive convicts.Studies among teens and young adults, such as those of psychiatrist and self-help author, Eva Ritvo, show that skin conditions have a profound effect on social behavior and opportunity.

How much money a person earns may also be influenced by physical beauty. One study found that people low in physical attractiveness earn 5 to 10 percent less than ordinary looking people, who in turn earn 3 to 8 percent less than those who are considered good looking.Discrimination against others based on their appearance is known as lookism.
 OneGodfather
Msg: 105
Posted: 3/21/2012 1:52:27 PM

Researchers have found that good looking students get higher grades from their teachers than students with an ordinary appearance. Furthermore, attractive patients receive more personalized care from their doctors. Studies have even shown that handsome criminals receive lighter sentences than less attractive convicts.Studies among teens and young adults, such as those of psychiatrist and self-help author, Eva Ritvo, show that skin conditions have a profound effect on social behavior and opportunity.

How much money a person earns may also be influenced by physical beauty. One study found that people low in physical attractiveness earn 5 to 10 percent less than ordinary looking people, who in turn earn 3 to 8 percent less than those who are considered good looking.Discrimination against others based on their appearance is known as lookism.
Thank God Oprah didn't read that memo, or any of the top 20 wealthiest in the world paid attention to that study or Octavia Spencer when she won her oscar eh.....
 BehinDarkBluEyes
Msg: 106
Posted: 3/21/2012 2:37:02 PM
I'm one who does not like to resort to generalizing as I believe it's not about gender as it is what individuals do as individuals.

However, from what I've observed on here there are TONS of superficial women lol. It does lead you to think to yourself geez no wonder they are on here lol.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >