Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Can culture advance without religion?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 forums1
Msg: 765
Can culture advance without religion?Page 37 of 39    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39)

You never hear in the news, "200 killed today when Atheist rebels took heavy shelling from the Agnostic stronghold in the north". - Doug Stanhope
 Aries_328
Msg: 766
view profile
History
Can culture advance without religion?
Posted: 6/29/2012 3:49:25 PM

aries - the reason soldiers are in the age range - whatever that is but lets say from mid teens to mid twenties - is because it is a physically very demanding task...

That is true however a person in their late 20's, early to mid 30's can be just as physically capable. I don't mean golf.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-19447.html

"As people mature, their capacity to do moral reasoning and to work with conceptual problems increases," said Kolditz, a field artilleryman. With older soldiers, "not only does that person have the benefit of having some military experience under their belt, but their developmental clock has been running and consequently your people are not only better trained but more mature."

only stupid soldiers in stupid armies obey idiot orders without questioning them.

Only if they are mature enough to know the difference.
 Demigod1979
Msg: 767
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2012 7:44:19 PM
Only if they are mature enough to know the difference.

I actually find this quite insulting to those brave men and women in uniform defending our nation. Sure they're trained to follow orders (their lives depend on it in most cases) but to think they do so blindly and without question makes them look like mindless killing machines.

I'm reminded of Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11, where soldiers are seen criticizing Bush, Rumsfeld and others for taking them to Iraq. Not exactly dumb thugs.
 Aries_328
Msg: 768
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2012 9:15:54 PM

I actually find this quite insulting to those brave men and women in uniform defending our nation. Sure they're trained to follow orders (their lives depend on it in most cases) but to think they do so blindly and without question makes them look like mindless killing machines.

I'm reminded of Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11, where soldiers are seen criticizing Bush, Rumsfeld and others for taking them to Iraq. Not exactly dumb thugs

Really? I'm typically what people would consider republican with conservative values and lean towards the side of Christianity as an ok thing. You’re going to say that I'm insulting the military? Haha... Why, because I think that the military is quite capable of understanding the psyche of an 18 year old and malleability and suggestibility?

Try harder. Computers are not the only thing we are advanced with.

What I find interesting is that I agree with the no forced conscription. I looked that up and it was done through very left leaning ideals. In my mind it is the right thing to do. Many people in other forums on the left feel that military service would ‘do people good’. Weird. Which side is right again?
The military are not thugs. They are exactly what they are trained to be. Follow orders. I have never ‘followed orders’. I credit that exactly and specifically to the military for making my world of peace possible. I’m not dumb enough to think my life that didn’t require forced military service as being due to human nature. It’s is specifically because of those that make sure we don’t require everyone to learn how to kill. As long as you recognize that regardless of reason of the day a soldier’s purpose is to kill or be killed.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/19/us/19dead.html?pagewanted=all

American troops are dying younger, often fresh out of boot camp, military records show. From 2002 to 2008, the average age of service members killed in action in Afghanistan was about 28; last year, it dropped to 26. This year, the more than 125 troops killed in combat were on average 25 years old.

What advanced society do you really think is going to work? Happy feelings and fluffy bunnies?
 Demigod1979
Msg: 769
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2012 6:19:01 AM

Really? I'm typically what people would consider republican with conservative values and lean towards the side of Christianity as an ok thing. You’re going to say that I'm insulting the military? Haha... Why, because I think that the military is quite capable of understanding the psyche of an 18 year old and malleability and suggestibility?

Yes, you are being insulting to those men and women who are in the military, by suggesting that they are mindless drones who have been brainwashed to do anything. They have a job to do but it doesn't mean they don't have a mind of their own. I follow orders at work as well, doing what my boss says, so should I be considered just a brainless corporate drone? In fact, I used to know someone in the US military, a career soldiers who likes to play games and talk hardware. I didn't realize I was talking to a zombie. :p
 Aries_328
Msg: 770
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2012 8:46:16 AM

Yes, you are being insulting to those men and women who are in the military, by suggesting that they are mindless drones

Where did I say they were mindless zombies? You know one guy? Is that like your token friend to prove you are not racist?

The soldiars in the youtube incident a while back. They had lost their sense of moral compass. Vietnam has its share of orders followed that should have been questioned. Not following orders is s severe crime if you are wrong about it being an illegal order. It isn't black and white and easy to tell.

I think you are being more insulting. You don't think that if it can be used as a weapon the military hasn't tried it?
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/milreview/zinsser.pdf

Performance enhancement is the deliberate cultivation
of an effective perspective on achievement
and the systematic use of effective cognitive skills.
A soldier can maximize performance by mastering
thinking habits and emotional and physical states.
These training methods, derived from applied sport
psychology used in training professional and Olympic
athletes, are also applicable in other humanperformance
contexts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recruit_training

The process of transforming civilians into military personnel has been described by military historian Gwynne Dyer as a form of conditioning in which inductees are encouraged to partially submerge their individuality for the good of their unit. Dyer argues that this conditioning is essential for military function because combat requires people to endure stress and perform actions which are simply not present in normal life. For this reason, military units are not comparable with civilian organizations as the life of each participant is on the line and often dependent on all the others.

The advanced army in the advanced culture. Voluntary and commited beyond the commitment you get at your desk job.
 wanderer1999
Msg: 771
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2012 9:20:27 AM
This whole debate is silly and pointless.

Culture is just the sum of the beliefs, values and traditions of a society.
"Advancement" is a completely subjective term.

While religion can influence the existing culture, so can philosophy, scientific discovery, and ideas that are popularized for any number of reasons. It is still essentially PART of the culture of a society.

The Pet Rock is part of our "cultural" fabric. Did it advance it or not?

Can Culture advance without Pet Rocks?

Manufactured argument that can ultimately never be resolved through philosophical or logical discourse is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation. Satisfying on some level, but ultimately meaningless.
 red_fir
Msg: 772
Posted: 6/30/2012 9:29:46 AM
Msg 945
Ditto.

The most likely end result will be suffocation of all ideals due to increasing population pressure, while we wrangle over the beginning of history, the epitaph is being read.

Monotheist, multitheist, atheist, every voice is increasingly strident with the rhetoric ranging from God/Allahs will be done, to the atheist's, hang every Priest with the guts of every Imam.

Ms. Merkels observation that multiculturalism is a failure is written ever larger across the face of multi-faith, including the devout faith in self, represented by atheism.

Until we can achieve unlimited expansion, our options seem to be reduced to serial conflict, or carefully managed isolationism.
 Aries_328
Msg: 773
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2012 9:31:05 AM
Culture advancing and what that looks like isn't silly and pointless though.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp=48017298�

First time reported on State Media. So, what else don't we know?
 smilingrock
Msg: 774
Posted: 6/30/2012 12:58:07 PM

This thread is a perfect example of verbal masturbation

When one speaks for solely the purpose of hearing their own voice.
Sue didn't want to talk with me, she was just practicing verbal masturbation.

Verbal masturbation
n. (v. Verbally masturbating)
Describes a person using (or trying but fails) extremely flamboyant, overelaborate, pendantic, overembellished, pompus, language seasoned with a lot of jargon from a certain discipline, sometimes to the extent that it has to be translated or deciphered to be intelligible for the common man; done with the unnecessary need to be meticulously accurate when communicating completely mundane things. May be done with the intent of making others feel inferior…and/or himself superior, part of role-playing, humour, being an idiot, (trying to) showing off how smart you are, and as mentioned an unnecessary need to be meticulously accurate. The true verbal masturbators are the pretentious ones who try but utterly fail because they use words they do not understand and use words across a jargon (inconsistency). Verbal masturbation may or may not appear redundant; however the redundancy is from the choice of words used and not necessarily by its meaning. Additionally, some may feel others are verbally masturbating but do so wrongfully because the situation requires being meticulously accurate

Non exhaustive examples of jargon used are:

Scientific: (star trek, professor Frink from The Simpson’s),
Forensic: (CSI, Sherlock Holmes),
Arcane: (old language, medieval, lord of the rings, star wars),
Prose/poetic: (rhymes, poetic symbolic uses etc. of language usually belonging to the literature world)
dictionary: (sounding like one…)
Leet (1337): sou...

verbal masturbation
Verbal Masturbation is commonly found amoung the arrogant, highly self absorbed people.
when you verbally masturbate, you essentially puke out the most disgustingly boring things about yourself, and you only ever talk about how great you are, or how great your life is, blahblahblah.
a common feeling amoung the ill-faited audience of a verbal masturbater is the hard to ignore urges to slice off the offenders head, put it in a blender, and then feed it to dogs. and if they are REALLY not worth it, feed the head to homeless people, as they will take anything.

"That prick over there kept verbally masturbating, and had me snoring for an hour."
OR
"Man, that chick is so hot, i'm gonna do the verbal masturbation all over her to show her how HOT i am"

Verbal masturbation
The stretching of something being said to make it much longer than it could easily be. It is usually done because the speaker feels what they said is not enough, wants to hear them self talk or wants to make what they say more confusing.

The way they stretch it is by adding similes and metaphors that basically say the same exact thing as what they originally said.

Verbal masturbation

The inquiring man is not liked for he is the hungry lion who wants more food. It is the people who are unwilling to feed his mind like there are only so many gazelle. His hunger makes the other lions tremble and begin to hate his lifelong quest for knowledge. He will never have enough and the others do not wish to put up with him, so he is always alone. Like a man who steals the money of his peers and has become rich, and hated by others. Though the others could have easily become rich because the money was up for grabs. The rich man benefits from his quest for knowledge and is hated for doing better.

Translation

An intelligent and curious person is not liked.
 Aries_328
Msg: 775
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2012 3:02:43 PM
What do wildfires have to do with culture?

!Doh
http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-news/48017298

Fen Jianmei was seven months pregnant when she was forcibly taken to hospital and her child aborted, because she and her husband couldn’t afford the fine imposed in China when couples have a second child. NBC’s Angus Walker reports from the Shanxi Province, China.

For the culture refrence of this pay attention to how pissed off people are... not about it happening but about it being put out in media.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/jun/30/as-china-forced-abortion/

The Chinese father of a forcibly aborted baby whose case prompted an international outcry has been beaten and forced into hiding, while his wife and other family members have been labeled traitors by fellow townspeople, the man's sister said Tuesday.

Doesn't it have that quality that this thread has associated to religion?
 Demigod1979
Msg: 776
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2012 7:15:28 PM
Where did I say they were mindless zombies? You know one guy? Is that like your token friend to prove you are not racist?

The soldiars in the youtube incident a while back. They had lost their sense of moral compass. Vietnam has its share of orders followed that should have been questioned. Not following orders is s severe crime if you are wrong about it being an illegal order. It isn't black and white and easy to tell.

I think you are being more insulting. You don't think that if it can be used as a weapon the military hasn't tried it?

I see, I'm the one that's being insulting, by indicating that soldiers aren't just brain-washed killing machines but actual thinking human beings. And I would rather you not slander my friendships as well, someone who is a friendly and decent person who just happens to be in the military.
 Aries_328
Msg: 777
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2012 2:32:06 PM

And I would rather you not slander my friendships as well, someone who is a friendly and decent person who just happens to be in the military.

How can I slander what I cannot know? That is why anecdotal stories are pretty much not relevant as material evidence. I also have known many people that have served. If you want a comparative anecdotal story and one that probably has influenced what I think it...

My "friend" had wanted to be in the military since he was a small child. All through high school he couldn't wait to enlist. It was his dream and he was a very bright and caring guy. He got his wish. He loved it. I caught up with him a few years later and he was a very different person. What happened to him? Why did he drop out? You may not remember but many years ago under Clinton there was an incident in Haiti http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-09-16/news/9409160307_1_leave-haiti-gen-raoul-cedras-president-jean-bertrand-aristide Well, my friend was charged and primed and on the runway when his plane was pulled off the tarmac. The training and buildup that he went through to prepare him for this had him pumped and charged to capacity and he was ready to rock. When they pulled the plug he had no outlet for that. He did not handle that well. It is not the same as any job I may have and I give them credit for taking on that significant responsibility and for doing so willingly. For some time afterwards he did not cope well from the psychological training aspects and then sudden change in direction.

I don't discount your friends case nor your friendship. However, like my story... it is factually irrelevant. Just as you keep insinuating that I am calling them brain-washed killing machines. They are soldiers. Ask your friend... It is not the same as working a job.

I do find it interesting how defensive you are that you think your character is being maligned by a challenger of beliefs. Why would it be so offensive to challenge you when it was you that challenged me. I am not personally insulted by your questioning but I think your position is more insulting of the military than mine. I don't think they are dumb enough to not know what they are doing but that the environment they find themselves in is beyond comparison to daily life of knowing the difference between what is right vs what is wrong. It isn't a logic exercise. It's a real world issue that I hope to never be required to gain firsthand experience.

We probably mean the same thing but are expressing it differently. Although I seem to be giving more credit to the people that run the military for actually having a clue about how psychology works and how to use it to advantage. If you think that’s me calling soldiers mindless zombies than I can't help you with that opinion.
 forums1
Msg: 778
Posted: 7/1/2012 6:41:53 PM

There is a reason why most soldiers are in this age range. They can be taught to not question.

And on a similar vein, there is a reason why most children are 'indoctrinated' into religion at an early age.
They can be taught not to question.

And then the proponents of such, such as this jem from Texas, make their political platform:

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

We don't want to challenge those 'fixed beliefs' there, do we? I mean, (Deity of your choice) Forbid we let them actually decide for themselves what they want to believe!

Now, if I were to use the military analogy here - I have no issue with grown adults who have chosen, of their own free will, to believe in a 'higher power', and gain some moral/spiritual comfort from that. I do have to wonder, when I see something like that - being against "critical thinking skills" (questioning things - such as "challenging fixed beliefs"), what exactly are "they" afraid of? And while I agree, Fred, on your comment on the military - belief in your leaders and the objective at hand is necessary on the battlefield... when religion demands "blind obedience to authority, and questioning it is wrong", doesn't it rather make it sound just as much like an "army" as say the Marines? And if the function of the military is to "dominate the battlefield", what then is the "battlefield" of religion - the world?
 Aries_328
Msg: 779
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2012 7:01:54 PM
And on a similar vein, there is a reason why most children are 'indoctrinated' into religion at an early age.
They can be taught not to question.

And then the proponents of such, such as this jem from Texas, make their political platform:

I'm glad someone gets the relationship. You can point to religion all day long because it isn't mysteriously hiding. Can you see it everywhere else that it lives? Is it not religion and actually an issue with how humans believe and maybe loyality?

The attempt to excise religion out of society is only dealing with a symptom of being human. It does nothing to the source that lives in all of us. Most affected will never realize it. They are just 'right,’ and they have no idea why.
 60to70
Msg: 780
Posted: 7/1/2012 7:10:57 PM
The biggest difference between religion and the military is an independent pov. Always. The military always fall into man's province, the ability to sustain a god demands that you let go of human wants and needs and dictates,politics, etc, etc, etc. Always. Those that don't and camouflage and declare themselves religious are as deluded as those who declare themselves "free" of any delusion re: no belief in god. Hoo boy. Indeed.
 Aries_328
Msg: 781
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2012 7:17:23 PM
The biggest difference between religion and the military is an independent pov. Always.

I think this is almost entirely missing the real case. If people think religion and government are dangerous that is nothing compared to religion and military. They are perfect partners and incredibly dangerously. Both of them lead directly towards the harshest authoritarian rule as being the best of all possible outcomes.

Religion and law and government is the weaker version of religion and the military.
 GeorgeDontigny
Msg: 782
Posted: 7/1/2012 9:09:55 PM
The diferance between Church and State in Western culture is a part of our culture , the freedom to choose , and getting away from controle by religions ,is also part of a new found freedom of mind and being , where guilt is no longer the norm , and where life is what you make it , not what some one dictates it should be , respect your elders , but remember they are human and not gods. Any one can read the books of wisdom , but like most wisdom it changes over time , the gods names change as the culture changes . Most is ritual and some what meaning less tradishions .
And it realy doesn't matter what your god's name is , but how you treat your fellow man , with out love you are nothing.
George
 60to70
Msg: 783
Posted: 7/1/2012 9:43:44 PM
O.k. nothing is more dangerous than the military and religion combined. I am not stupid...my point is that like George Dontigny remarks...you are nothing without love. Period. Prove us wrong, smile. You won't in one million more years of evolution and science and technology and more of the same song .....etc. smile.
Culture can never answer a need for the deepest and most profound meaning for life. Ever. Figure this out from this standpoint and then lets talk. Oh wait. I forgot. I am in dialogue with men. So there you go. I am wrong.
 Aries_328
Msg: 784
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2012 10:00:37 PM
my point is that like George Dontigny remarks...you are nothing without love. Period. Prove us wrong, smile.

That is the difference between me and the other atheists in this thread. I agree with you. I also have no problem with that sense of being coming from a long established sense of religion and God through westernized religions. Other religions have not promoted this aspect and are not so allowing for societal advancement. The crazy side of western religions is coming out but I do think that is only a temporary reaction to the new atheist movement.

IOW... I agree with you and support your freedom. I also support the judgment that not all religions are equal in practice. For the most part that follows common sense and common sense morality beyond the issues of abortion.
 60to70
Msg: 785
Posted: 7/1/2012 11:14:23 PM
Aries.....abortion? Where did that come from? Abortion is something to be avoided at all costs. And that is very easy to do these days, ain't it?? Not a very productive or creative solution to the problem of conception. Yep.
 Demigod1979
Msg: 786
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2012 7:21:52 AM

I don't discount your friends case nor your friendship. However, like my story... it is factually irrelevant. Just as you keep insinuating that I am calling them brain-washed killing machines. They are soldiers. Ask your friend... It is not the same as working a job.

The nature of the military is such that you must follow orders since it's critical to your life and the lives of your fellow soldiers. Certainly there is a stronger psychological impact from such a job, but that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about whether these people are intelligent and/or capable enough to know right from wrong or if they're just blindly following orders and doing a job.

I understand that the nature of the military is a unique one (which is why I admire those soldiers so much, even when they're fighting a wrong war). But no matter how indoctrinated they are, they still retain their humanity. My opinion is that soldiers following orders stems more from their sense of duty, pride and loyalty more than indoctrination. For example, even the soldiers of the Imperial Japanese army/navy (who can probably considered the most indoctrinated of all modern armies) mostly did what they did out of a sense of honor, including the kamikaze pilots. Kamikaze pilots who survived explained that no one would willingly go on such missions, but they felt they had to in order to preserve their honor. By turning them down they would be labelled as cowards and it would bring shame on their families. This in itself is not military doctrine, but normal concepts of honor and shame, which even to this day largely defines asian societies (my Japanese professor once told me that the Japanese culture is a "culture of shame").

I do find it interesting how defensive you are that you think your character is being maligned by a challenger of beliefs.

You claimed that my friend was just a token friend, like it wasn't a real relationship but something I trot out to win arguments. As far as I'm concerned, that was a direct attack on me, having nothing to do with the argument itself.
 Aries_328
Msg: 787
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2012 8:37:13 AM

Aries.....abortion? Where did that come from? Abortion is something to be avoided at all costs. And that is very easy to do these days, ain't it?? Not a very productive or creative solution to the problem of conception. Yep.

Specifically think abortion should be left out because it is an unwinnable argument on both sides. Both sides are right and both sides are wrong. That debate is going to continue for a very very long time. No reason to hold up the rest of the world to wait for agreement on it. It isn't coming.

You claimed that my friend was just a token friend, like it wasn't a real relationship but something I trot out to win arguments. As far as I'm concerned, that was a direct attack on me, having nothing to do with the argument itself.
Yeah, that does sound like a****thing to say.

My overall point and one you brought up with the Japanese culture is that adherence to religion is everywhere including places that religion is not. It is a human function. It is why religion will not go willingly. So far the only successful way for it to reduce its hold is by naturally taking its course in the background until it becomes cultural tradition and heritage. Anything else will dig it in deeper and more unrealistic. Some parts of it will always live and that may be a belief in God and basic values of 'loving thy neighbor'.

This advanced society will just became exasperated trying to win logic wars through humiliation. It may win the logic but it will never win the war. Just create a more deeply entrenched resistance.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 788
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2012 6:39:57 AM
These are the kind of fundamentalist terrorists who will ensure that culture will continue to struggle to advance.
http://skepchick.org/2011/01/christian-identity-the-scary-religion-you-don%E2%80%99t-know-about/
snip.more at link.

These racists are actually a special flavor of creationist. Here’s a brief outline of one of their core beliefs:

◦ Anglo-Saxon-Celtic peoples (whites) are God’s real chosen people, and descend in an unbroken line from Adam and Eve. They are by nature a superior race.
◦ Jews derive from Cain, himself the product of a sexual liaison between Eve and the Serpent (the original sin) in Eden, and so are biologically evil, the synagogue of Satan.
◦ Non-whites are pre-Adamic beings, soulless and akin to the Biblical beasts of the field. Cain mated with these peoples to produce today’s Jews.
◦ Jews are part of a Satanic plot to unite the world under a single government, to be taken over ultimately by the Devil himself. The plot is thousands of years old.
◦ Whites in America (the true House of Israel) must battle bloodily to usher in a period of Godly rule prior to the Second Coming. That means a race war.

There are many different flavors of the Identity creation story that lays out exactly how the origins of emud people are separate from (white) Adam and Eve but the gist is the same. Jews, Folks of Color, Homosexuals, and whoever else you happen to hate today are Demonic in origin. Or soulless animals. In other-words, non-white people are literally spawn of the devil. And, so, it’s your CHRISTIAN DUTY to kill them.

Christian Identity theology neatly sews together the idea of a religious base for racism and antisemitism, and an ideological rationale for violence against non-whites and their allies. It’s a two-fer!

You almost always see the words paramilitary or militia associated with Christian Identity believers. Why are they so violent? Their world is an absolute dichotomy: God or Devil. Angel or Satan.

There is no nuance, no compromise, no coalition building when you see your opponent as Lucifer Incarnate. People that oppose you are dupes. The federal government is controlled by the Devil. It’s a conspiracy you must resist. And resist violently.

Because, as mentioned above, a race war is needed to bring Christ back. It’s even got it’s own name: RAHOWA” Racial Holy War.

Why would someone buy into this? Generally, these sorts of racist, anti-governmental groups swell when economic times are bad. It’s a handy explanation for why there is so much Evil (and unemployment) in the world, despite the promises of a loving and caring God: the Devil is responsible. These Christians have lost control of their lives but they can take control back with sufficient ammunition and mayhem.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 789
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 10:05:37 PM
Yes...religion is just what you'd come up with if you wanted to destroy a race or planet by infecting it with some kind of computer virus for the computer that is our minds and culture. And in terms of mind-viruses, religion is the HIV/AIDS of mind-viruses.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Can culture advance without religion?