Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > 'Younger' older women. Why?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 51
view profile
History
'Younger' older women. Why?Page 3 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Paderic:

From what I've observed, carrying excess weight tends to make a person look older rather than younger. (All other factors being equal...

So true. We are not static two dimensional objects. Youthfulness is a package.People are in constant movement. Fit womwen are more agile and lithe. People display age when they walk, sit down,reach for objects, etc. We can usually even judge from a distance about how old a person is from their movements. My girlfriend is a former ballerina and keeps very fit. When she's with her daughter it's hard to tell who is who until i see them up close.
 lightbrownsuga2luv
Msg: 52
'Younger' older women. Why?
Posted: 3/21/2012 11:06:03 AM
I think it also depends there genes. Smoking, stress can add on more of a older look, so of these woman you see might not smoke, might have less stress.

Funny....i was just in the store a couple days ago to buy some wine, the clerk ask for my ID(common for everyone) so I thought nothing of it till she said, OMG you look so much younger then your age, she said that I was two years older than her but she feels she looks older. She mentioned wrinkles under her eyes,(which yes she did have them).

My father is in his mid 70's, people think that he's in his 50's. So other than the good genes, I believe that trying to live a healthy life helps too.
 lightbrownsuga2luv
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/21/2012 11:07:44 AM
haw, depends on (their) genes.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/21/2012 1:31:33 PM
With so many divorces these days, I think it forces many to make themslves more presentable than they would be if they felt they were permanently off the market, like in the 'good old days'.

With advances in having information at our finger tips, we can easily search for ways to enhance our genes as well. Put these two things together and you will find people aging a lot better than they did 20 or more years ago.

I have always been told I look older than I am...even as a teen, I was being told I looked in my 20's. I am used to this and really do not fret looking young or old. I am who I am and have no desire to fight the aging process in any way. I take care of myself, I excersise regulalry, I eat extremely well (I actually love fruits/veggies and it is no effort for me to eat them everyday) and as long as my body is able to stay active and get me where I want to go, thats good enough for me.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 55
Posted: 3/21/2012 2:53:01 PM

From what I've observed, carrying excess weight tends to make a person look older rather than younger. (All other factors being equal...)

For once, we agree--when I show pictures of myself at 43 years old and 250 pounds, people do not recognize me. I look better, if not younger, now than I did then.

BUT if you read back over the posts on this thread, the emphasis is on skin care, not losing weight. The issue with skin is that one has to get close enough to check it! People often think I am younger than I am based on the length of my hair--when they get close to me, I am sure that their perceptions change.

In addition, having "good" skin will not make a person attractive if the person is obese or just butt-ugly. Would a man or woman truly want to date an obese person because he/she lacks wrinkles?
 nativerock
Msg: 56
Posted: 3/22/2012 8:46:34 AM

One word: Botox

Diet has a very important role in affecting the elasticity and health of the skin. Adequate use of fruits and vegetables especially containing vitamin C has a very positive impact on the skin. Vitamin C strengthens the skin and thus prevents it from damaging unnecessarily and has a great anti wrinkling role. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day and if you have it a little coconut water which is so hydrating.. Put some cucumbers on your eyes and in your salad..

I would not have botox might do something different though that is safe when I hit the big 60 this year..
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2012 10:12:11 AM
nativerock.

My girlfriend hand I have both been vegetarians for years. I question the value of a vegetarian diet in the formative years and prime child bearing years for a woman, but after 35 or so I 'think' it helps keep one youthful. No 'evidence' other than the example of the vegetarian crowd we hang out with. We also tend to be more into a fitness so not sure if it is vegetarianism or the complete lifestyle package. Anyways, a healthy cardio-vascular system adds a healthy glow to a woman's appearance.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2012 10:21:35 AM
Botox.....I am truly amazed that people will actually inject themselves with paralytic poison all for the sake of vanity. Helloooooooooo..........

Hate to mention it, ladies, but we men can pretty well guess your age no matter what artificial means you used to disguise the ravages of time. As soon as you open your mouth for more than a passing greeting we have you down to within 5 years, and by the time we have you in bed we usually know your birth date. If there really is any lingering doubt in our minds, we simply ask your friends, ex, mother, sister, co-worker......
 loveoutside
Msg: 59
Posted: 3/22/2012 12:21:03 PM
I don't think botox is to look younger (maybe little), its to get rid of the wrinkles, which makes a person looks tired or angry (around the forehead area between the eye). I seen it do wonders - I don't necessary think they look younger but look better nonetheless.
 Infinity_G
Msg: 60
Posted: 3/22/2012 1:20:12 PM
It probably has a lot to do with genetics, because sometimes good looking family members produce the "Will look attractive/young for their age" gene, and pass it down to each family member.

I think****Clark was one of the first celebrities teased for looking young for his age.

Some just have that gene.
 J_bird61
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/22/2012 10:14:04 PM
I truely think we're a generation that has had the first "whole lifetime" of heath, beauty, work benefits and advances that has contributed in a positive way to our " overall looks".
I have some beautiful, youthful friends - really.
I was born in 1961. My mom and grandma told me stores of before frigging washing machines, before vaccuum cleaners, and have you ever taken a gander at recipes from say the 1950's? Holy clogged artery batman!
They didn't have air conditioning for God's sake!
Huge grocery stores didn't always used to be here - you had to go to the meat store, then the bakery, then the dairy store....with your kids in cloth diapers! What?

Then if you take into account all the daily conviences of fax machines, answering machines and self cleaning ovens...(!)....we get oranges from florida and grapes from Brazil! Heck, we expect them! Retinol? Polio vaccinations? Vitamin D3? Mammograms? Glycolic acid? Birth control....'nuf said.
Think about it. We're damn lucky!
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 62
Posted: 3/23/2012 7:23:06 AM

Those that never followed a healthy, athletic lifestyle get left behind because they are older before their time.

Exercise IS important, but I know women (and men) who have led very physically active lives who have bum knees, bad backs, rotor cuffs in the shoulders out of whack, and other problems brought on by sliding onto base, running, and lifting bales of hay.

Of course, I know obese people with bum knees, bad backs, etc.--the reasons for the infirmities are just different.
 nativerock
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/23/2012 8:07:11 AM

Of course, I know obese people with bum knees, bad backs, etc.--the reasons for the infirmities are just different.

Well excess weight puts a whole lot of stress on your joints and back as well as a host of other problems related to it.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2012 9:02:23 AM
What wonderfully uplifting comments on "older" women.

For me, it's genetics and listening to grandma!

I was always taught by my African-American grandmother to "never put plain water on your skin without following up with some sort of moisturizer, and to never let the sun burn my face." As a young child, I hated being rubbed down with baby oil after a bath -- with my Caucasian friends laughing about how "shiny and greasy" I looked.

But I love grandmother for it now, because I don't have wrinkled skin like most of them do, (except on my hands, because I didn't always follow her advice about them). And I have used SPF 50 sunscreen for years!
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2012 9:36:17 AM
True...exercise on average is much better for joints and the back than a sedentary lifestyle. Also, youth is a package...agile movement is much more appealing than shuffling along. A 50 year old who can't run up even to run up even 3 flights of stairs without gasping for air walk along like an old man or woman. Younger people bounce or float.

Blacklady...I've not been around black people in the USA too much but you reminded me that in Jamaica I found women quite striking. Many elderly ladies had a perfect glistening skin. Almost as if someone put one drop of red dye into the pigment. I don't know if it was genetic or not. There was a temptation to ask permission to brush one's hand across their cheek to find out if the skin was a soft as it looked.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2012 9:42:24 AM
Sciencetreker, you can brush your hand across my cheek anytime you want to! I've actually had people, tissue in hand, ask permission to "swipe" my face just to see if it was makeup or my "natural" skin. Some might find that request offensive; I've always found it to be a high compliment.

Thanks again, grandma!
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/23/2012 1:23:00 PM

Well excess weight puts a whole lot of stress on your joints and back as well as a host of other problems related to it.

Of course. Over indulgence in any direction usually has adverse effects.
 Gal101a
Msg: 68
Posted: 3/23/2012 10:09:09 PM
Well I certainly would like to be in the category of looking more youthful....sigh...unfortunately I think if one has put on too much weight then it is more difficult to appear youthful.
Smoking & over exposure to the sun doesnt do the skin any good at all. In my era (Im 47) being in the sun was considered a very healthy tonic....the bronzed Aussie was all the rage.
But I hated getting burned, it was too hot for me to stand thank goodness, but my sister used to sunbake all the time with that Reef Oil that smelled of coconut. Who remembers that!!! None of the SPF's in those days. Now my sister is getting skin cancers cut out of her, she is 48.

Im not entering middle-age gracefully. I still feel as young as I did at 20. Watching my body slowly disintegrate around my is disappointing to say the least. I am going to undergo an abrasive lasar treatment soon for my eyes. Ive recently lost 25kg & hope to lose more if I can keep the self control up!!! I want to look my best because it makes me feel better about myself & I can wear really nice clothes. Being close to 6ft, bare foot, I can wear alot of pretty things I always wanted to for the 10yrs I was FAT...& boy I was a porker. And unfortunately, in this day & age, no man would look twice at a fat single mum with 3 children.
But its mainly 90% to feel much better about myself. I think the ABUNDANCE of hormones in our food & plastics these days is contributing to unnatural maturity too young, allergies & possibly the onset of premature ageing....just a guess.
 Gal101a
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/23/2012 10:20:58 PM
That's a great attitude, Ice.
I feel like I did on the inside much the same as when I was in my 20's. But thank god Im a little wiser!!! I hope to be wearing nice clothes with a bit of style.

I will be having the abrasive lasar in a few weeks to help me with my eyes. I havent gone out in the sun purposely & wore a hat & sunnies if I was out for a while...tho no sunscreen. I dont smoke or drink, or passive smoke LOL.... so Im hoping it has helped me out. They say things like green tea, fish oil & any antioxidant will help slow ageing.....they also thin out the blood, which I guess helps with any heart or blood probs eg: clots. One thing I dont do is exercise, I just dont have the energy. Cant keep anything up for long...& the old knee is starting to hurt alot. SOOooo I will just have to be careful of the diet.

I love everything about life....theres plenty of things of course on this planet that could change for the better, but I cant influence any of that. So, I enjoy what makes me happy & my 5 children are one of those things.

Take care everyone, hope u all find the happiness you are desiring xoxox
 LathaMath
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/24/2012 4:38:14 PM
I hang out with bicycle enthusiasts who are for the most part active which seems to keep them looking young and flexible. They certainly aren't over weight. I think the blood flow feeds the body cells and keeps them healthy. The cyclists I know are not athletes by any means, but cycling for every day transportation keeps them fit. Life is hard but it's simple. To keep fit keep moving. To lose weight stop eating. To build savings stop spending. All that is required is self-dicipline.
 jeep1127girl
Msg: 71
Posted: 3/24/2012 5:03:25 PM
When Im with my son and my grand daughter people have assumed we are a couple and that is my child, I woman asked me if I was my daughters sister..lol...They are both in their 20s...I take it as a compliment. Its all about how you take care of yourself.
 damsel19
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/24/2012 5:50:25 PM
icefishingrl

Thanks for the tip with Obagi.
 damsel19
Msg: 73
Posted: 3/24/2012 5:54:46 PM
SLW64

I started using moisturiser at 14 at my mother's behest. We live in a very harsh climate in Australia and skin cancer is rife especially amongst the Celts.
Fake tan is fine, so much better than baking in the sun for hours which people still do despite the warnings that is really skin cells in trauma trying to protect the skin.
I wore eyeshadow, lipstick and foundation at 16 too, once I left school.
I love make up and enjoy wearing it. I also wear a sun screen even in winter months.
 stellavixen
Msg: 74
Posted: 3/24/2012 10:51:23 PM
Such a nice thread to read.

Thank you.
 Paderic
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/25/2012 7:08:29 AM
Maybe someone can help me out and tell me where all these young looking older women are. Cuz they sure aren't around here!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > 'Younger' older women. Why?