Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > 'Younger' older women. Why?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 176
'Younger' older women. Why?Page 8 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)

Well Gwendolyn, I have not reviewed the studies, (I'm a little too busy, and I like to choose my battles ,this one is trivial...)

It took me five minutes to find the info--and I did it because I was curious, not because this is a battle (an interesting choice of words). Everything in POF forums is trivial, eh?
 activemelaney
Msg: 177
view profile
History
'Younger' older women. Why?
Posted: 11/14/2012 4:18:13 PM
I won't live in the South because I don't want to look like a prune.
 _babblefish
Msg: 178
Posted: 11/14/2012 4:55:33 PM

As for moist air keeping people young looking

maybe younger looking would be more correct, as for three months of continual rain and then intermittent- that
wouldn't quality as living in a moist environment, further up the coast it's a temperate rain forest, it rains a lot,
and middle aged women in general look a lot younger than their counterparts in sunbelts such as southern California

What causes dry skin and dry skin irritation is a lack of moisture. Thus living in a dry climate will greatly increase the chances of developing this skin problem.
When left untreated for long periods of time, dry skin can lead to an older-looking appearance, making dry skin remedies especially important for those living in drier climates (nutra legacy - google)

There's mounting evidence that many centenarians may carry protective gene variants that predispose them against age-related diseases

if that's the case, whether we live to be a (super)centenarian or not could be just plain luck
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 179
Posted: 11/15/2012 5:00:10 AM
Because I am a gregarious, talkative woman, in the last two weeks or so, I have told anyone who would listen that I just turned 60. Because I am "approachable," in that same time period, four or five men anywhere from 35-70 have taken the initiative to speak to me in public places. Each one of them told me that I looked younger than 60; the ages varied from 40-to 54.

I have also met some women in that amount of time; they, too, told me that I looked younger than my years. Two teens working at McD's were astounded that I could be 60.

Uh-huh--so, do I look 40 or 54? The teens were astounded because they have an image of 60 year old women having short, gray hair and wearing dowdy clothes.

The truth is, my face looks 60. My body looks 60. However, having hair to the bottom of my butt gives me the IMPRESSION of being younger. I do look younger than other 60 year old women who smoke, have hard lives, have lost their teeth, and have absorbed copious amounts of sun. I appear younger than 50+ women who dress in polyester stretch pants, who have gray hair, and who are overweight (even if their faces are plumped out by the fat on their faces). It isn't that I actually look younger, but they look older or give the APPEARANCE of being older because of the way that they dress or carry themselves.

Don't believe the press, folks, and don't buy into what others tell you.
 britepurdywmn
Msg: 180
Posted: 11/15/2012 6:53:08 AM
Halcyon I wouldn't risk it, my rosacea is finally under control. I agree that exfoliation is very important, whether it's with smooth (not gritty) little round beads in your cleanser or with Retin A.

One thing I didn't pay attention to was my hands. If I had a do-0ver, I would have been applying sunscreen to them all these years too, but it's just an afterthought. This is all temporary anyway, and we won't be remembered for how old or young we looked.
 britepurdywmn
Msg: 181
Posted: 11/15/2012 4:21:27 PM
"Don't believe the press, folks, and don't buy into what others tell you"...Gwendolyn

Why the heck not?

You tell us you don't think you look younger than 60. You share that a bunch of people have been astounded, surprised, whatever, when you revealed your age. You tell us not to believe the compliments people graciously offer. I'm no turnip, but I don't get it.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 182
Posted: 11/15/2012 6:00:14 PM
I said,
Don't believe the press, folks, and don't buy into what others tell you

BPM asked
Why the heck not?

You tell us you don't think you look younger than 60. You share that a bunch of people have been astounded, surprised, whatever, when you revealed your age. You tell us not to believe the compliments people graciously offer. I'm no turnip, but I don't get it.

Of course you accept the compliments that people offer you--what makes you think that I (for one) don't? But when I do graciously say, "Thank you," I add, "But I DO look like my age and I am proud to be 60 and look this good." And not only that, if I get a range from 40 to 54, which is it?

If you didn't understand the point of my post, let me explain in further detail: when a man says that I look "40," he is complimenting me with an ulterior motive. When an 18 year expresses amazement that I am 60, it is because he/she has a stereotypical idea of how people at a certain age should look; the amazement might be genuine, but it is not realistic.

When women near my age tell me look younger, it is usually because they are near my age and look older--if I look younger, then that must mean THEY look their ages and not older. A few years ago, I was in the adjuncts' office at school and a woman came into the office, huffing because she had just climbed three flights of stairs. She said that it was her age that made climbing them difficult. In reality, it was because she was carrying about 50 pounds (or more) of extra weight.

I said to her--and not meanly, mind you--"Nah, it isn't your age."

She said, "When you are my age, you'll find out."

I replied, "I bet that I am older than you." She protested that I couldn't be but wouldn't tell me her age. I told her, "I am 55."

"That's my age!" she said--in amazement.

If I looked 55, then she must have looked much older. It was easier to say that I looked younger than she looked older OR to admit that her weight was a real physical handicap to her.

But let's go back to the men. Men consistently approach me in public places, and their motive is to to "get to know me." Many think that if they flatter me, I will be more open to their advances. However, I am sure that some do think I am younger; today, a man in his 30s sat and stared at me in McD's. When I arose and started packing my laptop, he rose, too, flashing a smile at me and going out before I did. However, when I got into the parking lot, he was sitting in his truck with the door open. When I passed, he made a noise to catch my attention. I smiled and kept walking. When I was in my car, putting on my sunglasses, he left his parking space and pulled into the one next to mine. I did not want to talk to him, so I pulled out--he followed me to the exit of the parking lot. I truly thought that he was going to follow me down the street, but a car came between us and when I pulled out into the road, I was gone before traffic would allow him to leave. And yes, men HAVE followed me from one place to another at least twice before.

This young man had NO idea of my true age; he knew that I was older than him, but not that I was 60. He saw long hair, boots, a bright smile, and a short skirt.

I know that some men of all ages find me attractive; I also know that I am 60. My age doesn't bother me and most often, it doesn't bother younger men, either.

And a couple more things--I have a dear friend who is almost 70 and looks it. One night, she told me that she didn't look her age. I actually thought that she was going to say that she looked older but instead, she said that she looked younger. My sister is 66 and recently, a friend of hers posted a video of my sister when she was 16; my sister said, "I look better now than I did then." No, dear heart, you don't, but I didn't tell her that. My sister tells me that I look younger than 60, but by telling me this, she can think that she looks younger than 66--and she looks good at 66, but she doesn't look 60 or 55.

I have a huge ego and I am vain, but I refuse to be delusional or cling to illusion.
 britepurdywmn
Msg: 183
Posted: 11/15/2012 6:44:05 PM
Gwendolyn....

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhh! I now have a migrane.
 CDMer
Msg: 184
Posted: 11/15/2012 7:40:59 PM
Thank you for your posts, Gwendolyn. They are honest appraisals of how really it is.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 185
Posted: 11/16/2012 5:21:44 AM

Gwendolyn....

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhh! I now have a migrane.

I used to get migraines--it was my diet and because I was obese. My blood pressure was sky-high and I ate a lot of processed, fried, and fatty foods. It is amazing how losing 100 pounds affected my health for the better. Heck, even losing 20 took my blood pressure down from pre-hypertensive to 116/75.

Thank you for your posts, Gwendolyn. They are honest appraisals of how really it is.

I try to be "real." Our culture is obsessed with youth and some older people feel it is a shame to be their ages. For a very long time, women (in particular) lied about their ages. The trend is changing; I want to be someone who can show the world that THIS is 60 and there is nothing to be embarrassed about!
 timeforall
Msg: 186
Posted: 11/16/2012 6:38:36 AM
I must admit i am shocked at the variability of aging. Some look and act very old at the same age some look and act very young. Botox can not hide the fact that some people age very poorly. We can't do anything about our genes but lots about diet, exercise and stress.
 AlfredoDP
Msg: 187
Posted: 11/16/2012 1:31:13 PM
Age does bother me, 60, cannot do many of the things I used to... including doing it multiple times.
 AlfredoDP
Msg: 188
Posted: 11/16/2012 1:37:57 PM
Gwendolyn... I see you still write worse than a storm, some books can be re-assumed with few words, and better understood.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 189
Posted: 11/16/2012 2:02:43 PM

I think that many of us here could say that - most men find us attractive as do younger men. I think many of us have had compliments from the younger set, been told we're MILFs, etc. You don't have to have hair down to your azz, long legs, big boobs, etc. for men to oogle, comment, as for dates, etc. either. I feel "hot", I feel good in my skin, I am confident of who and what I am...as are many on here and in real life. Some of us just don't post about the guys that approach us while some love to yammer on about it.

If you had read all the posts and understood what I was saying, what you say is my POINT. By taking to heart what others tell us, we get an unrealistic view of ourselves. Women in this forum who say that people "always" tell them that they look young are no different from those of us who know we look our ages. A lot of women get hit on, and a lot are told that they look younger, eh? Perhaps you should slow down and read what I write or actually try to understand what I am writing.

By the way, I don't have big breasts and my legs are short and chubby--so I suppose that you are directing that at someone else.

Gwendolyn... I see you still write worse than a storm, some books can be re-assumed with few words, and better understood.

I said it in fewer words and my audience didn't "get it"--so, I spelled it out. I am amazed that you would bother to read it or comment (you probably didn't read it). Why bother?
 AlfredoDP
Msg: 190
Posted: 11/16/2012 2:13:51 PM
I read the last one... it does not occur to you, perhaps, your long replies keep other form posting.
Good luck.
 lookin-n-lkld
Msg: 191
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2012 9:06:25 AM
I am 51 but look younger. I really want to get a little nose stud piercing. Am I too old even if I look younger???
 timeforall
Msg: 192
Posted: 11/17/2012 9:47:53 AM
Are there any women on here who don't look at least a decade younger than they are and can have their fill of all younger guys that they want?

At least you all don't lack for want of delusions. They are good for you.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 193
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2012 10:09:23 AM
Yes, it is quite bizarre that she's never dated an older guy who paid the tab. I'm a guy and I've even had a male friend pick up the tab for lunch or whatever.
 britepurdywmn
Msg: 194
Posted: 11/17/2012 10:13:33 AM
"I really want to get a little nose stud piercing. Am I too old even if I look younger?" quote

I can tell you what I think but lets take the age issue out of it.
I think piercings and tattoos have become so mainstream that you're more unique if you don't have any..
If it has something to do with your background or ethnicity, it makes more sense to style yourself a certain way than just to follow a certain crowd.
Are they comfortable? I'm someone who cuts the tags off of her clothing, and take my jewelry off the minute I'm home, so personally I couldn't stand it.
If you think it will enrich your life somehow, do it.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 195
Posted: 11/19/2012 4:03:35 PM

I read the last one... it does not occur to you, perhaps, your long replies keep other form posting.
Good luck.

I am not sure how my long replies "keep" others from posting--how does that work? Do threads have a word limit?

Gwen, wasn't directed AT you at all, just general comment.

Um, sure, ok, I'll take your word for that.

Am I too old even if I look younger???

Why do you even ask? Aren't you old enough to make up your mind about such things? (Said tongue in cheek.)
 CDMer
Msg: 196
Posted: 11/19/2012 5:11:21 PM
I am 51 but look younger. I really want to get a little nose stud piercing. Am I too old even if I look younger???

Why not go for a large facial tattoo? Then you could look much, much younger!
 Giggles10000
Msg: 197
Posted: 11/20/2012 10:48:11 PM

No, but you were too old to ask that question and expect to get good answers...my 22 year old had to take her's out to get a good job--so it depends on what and where you want to go in life.
 Ready_Real
Msg: 198
Posted: 11/21/2012 4:07:11 PM

read the last one... it does not occur to you, perhaps, your [Gwendolyn's] long replies keep other form posting.

I beg to differ: it is articulate, thought-provoking, insightful prose -----wonderfully wrapped with wit and panache --- such as "Gwendolyn's" posts that keep people like me engaged and enjoying this 45+ forum!
Thank u, Gwendolyn!
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 199
Posted: 11/22/2012 11:45:34 PM
Why not go for a large facial tattoo? Then you could look much, much younger!

Yes!! Though I am 58, I look 39 because that is when I had my face tattooed ON my face. Cheaper than plastic surgery!
 lightninbug22
Msg: 200
Posted: 11/23/2012 11:00:47 AM
Hahahaha, Sobri.

I think that many women make themselves look older by trying to look younger--some things just are not age appropriate--you can still be fashionable and very pretty well into old age if it is done right. Do I have that all figured out yet for me?? No--but I am working on it!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > 'Younger' older women. Why?