Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What is the point of stating "friends first" in a profile????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 166
view profile
History
What is the point of stating friends first in a profile????Page 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

Marriage signified commitment, and it meant both parties were officially off the market.

Then I never cheated on my GF. PHEW! She told me I was off the market, but I told her, "Babe, that's only official if we're married! So I didn't officially cheat on ya when porking both girls in our bed! I think the stain on the left side of the bed was yours, though. I think." ;)

Sometimes I think the more overboard the wedding was with what a person could not afford to spend, the faster they got divorced, and I think we all know a lot of those couples.

Yeah, I could see a definite uptick on that. The more one is in love with being married in and of itself [insert person here to marry], the greater chance they'll be disappointed when settling in. My previous point on who's-more-ancy-to-get-out, here's an analogy:

I want to go to a place down south for a Month -- some retreat. I've been ga-ga about it, but it's the feeling of going. GF doesn't really want to so much -- next year, next year. I keep lobbying her for it, and she then agrees. It's not like she'd hate it, but, well, she's more level-headed about what these retreats are like and for Some reason I'm Ga-Ga about the idea of these retreats that I've never been on, but everyone's been on one. I've seen them in the movies and it warms my heart. So we go down bringing everything... and well, it's how she thought it was, and not what I thought. It was great at first, but then suddenly -- it's actually down-to-earth and not exciting. To be here for a month? Whole month? I could easily be more ancy to leave where she's more in a position to leave at a good time, make the most of it, etc. I'm more Disappointed than she.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 167
view profile
History
What is the point of stating friends first in a profile????
Posted: 11/3/2017 12:17:19 PM
LIR, those are interesting statistics. One that I've heard before is that second and third marriages have a worse chance of survival. It could be that people are so set in their ways and they haven't grown together from when they were younger, but I would have also thought that they stood a better chance because people are older and presumably wiser and know what they want.

NG, I can make something official for you, LOL. That would be that you are horrible if that is a true scenario with the bringing women into your bed. I don't know if you wanted to get married or not, but if you don't, then you would have to consider your girlfriend to be in a committed relationship with you without the paperwork, unless your relationship was considered to be a non-committed one.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 168
view profile
History
What is the point of stating friends first in a profile????
Posted: 11/3/2017 12:50:48 PM

That would be that you are horrible if that is a true scenario with the bringing women into your bed.

It would officially be horrible, yes. That was my point. I had a friend who'd cheat on his GF who practically lived at his place. His justification was they weren't married, and played the God + Law card. LOL. "That's NOT the point, you idiot!" ;) I tried telling him that the marriage is that you Won't Leave by contract, God, family overseeing, etc -- not to "make you a couple". You damn well better have been Officially a Couple for some time before tying a knot that you'll be together Forever.

I don't know if you wanted to get married or not, but if you don't, then you would have to consider your girlfriend to be in a committed relationship with you without the paperwork, unless your relationship was considered to be a non-committed one.

I understand. That's why, no paperwork required for 100% cheating just the same. There's just no Legal consequences. And in the God part -- well, I don't think God would be like "Welllll, you're not married. It's just a sex before marriage thing like you did with your GF, so I guess I have to shake my head in that way. [Assuming God shakes his head at sex before marriage among two mature adults when Officially GF/BF]" :)

My point is: Unofficially together -- is more like you're dating, have been dating, but nothing's been solidified yet, announced, proclaimed, established, etc. There certainly can be that, don't get me wrong. But it certainly doesn't take marriage or an Engagement (no paperwork there either) -- to make things clearly Official between the two... where cheating can just the same be a "social felony".
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What is the point of stating "friends first" in a profile????